Depression kicked my ass. I hit what was nearly my all-time low. So instead of giving in to it, I watched it. I didn't accept it, reject it, or look away. I just sat with it and let it fade away.

I also took the plunge and became a practice resident (a full-time Buddhist-monk-in-training.)

You know, staring at a wall for six and a half hours a day sure puts things into perspective.

I'm at my all time high weight. It's... honestly, I'm mortified. I'm also disappointed in myself. I'm disgusted. But I also recognize that... fuck it. I'm going to be healthy, anyway.

The best part of so much sitting practice is that it forces me to do things whether I want to do them or not. I function regardless of my mood or motivation. There's a schedule... and I follow it. Period.

I bought Level Up Your Life today and I'm about halfway through it. I'm going to write a new character log and give myself monthly quests again. I'll write more about what did and didn't work for me, and what got me off track, in another thread. For now, know that I appreciate everyone here, and I'm going to be reaching out for help. I need it, I may as well ask for it. :)

Bows,

Kage

• Like 1

Depression certainly is a buzz kill isn't it? I've had a hard time with it this challenge too for sure. Also, a full-time Buddhist monk in training!!?? That is so epic! I'm not even sure what all that entails or how you get there but geez it sounds tough and rewarding all at the same time. I think you will love Level Up Your Life. It motivated and inspired me and got me out of a bit of a fog. There are some great tips in there and Steve is just a good writer, feels like you are sitting down and having a conversation with the dude. Good luck on your journey and respawn! There are many hurdles to overcome but you can do it! 

• Like 1

Congrats on trying something new and interesting.

I suppose while you're in training you have to do what they tell you, but any chance you could squeeze in some walking meditation?  Or martial arts?  Zazen might be great spiritual exercise, but your body can't tell the difference between that and watching TV.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, Raincloak said:

Congrats on trying something new and interesting.

I suppose while you're in training you have to do what they tell you, but any chance you could squeeze in some walking meditation?  Or martial arts?  Zazen might be great spiritual exercise, but your body can't tell the difference between that and watching TV.

*Laugh* Thank you. You're completely correct, of course. I'm finding that sitting so much is already leading to increased weight gain. In fact, I'm finding that the more I focus on one or wo things, the more everything else slides backward. I've gained a tremendous amount of weight since joining NerdFitness. I'm working on one thing, but then five other things start to go in an undesirable direction. My diet, for instance. the more I exercise, the more I eat. the more I sit, the less I feel like making healthy meals.

My October goals include walking for an hour three times a week and doing bodyweight exercises. I'm also not eating at or from a restaurant and I'm learning to prepare one new meal every week. I have new cookbooks, I'm spending more time outside, and my sister-in-law, an amazing cook, had me over on Sunday to teach me to make a fantastic soup. The first steps are being taken. Now I just have to build on them.