Doctor Strange - Movie

I saw it. Not bad, although I do think Marvel tried to force some funny lines/moments and it was evident they tried too hard, especially when the source material is somewhat darker. Not everyone is Deadpool.

Pretty good job explaining the whole Multiverse concept though. Loved Tilda's acting and the CGI was impressive alright.

Paging @Charlie_Quinn

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Thanks for the page @DarK_RaideR!

I saw it last week and really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was as good as some previous Marvel outings, but it was an enjoyable movie and I'm hoping to go see it again when I'm back from holiday. I loved the way they conveyed the multiverse and it was well worth watching it in IMAX.

Tilda Swinton and Benedict Cumberbatch were probably the best things about it. Although, I could have done without Cucumbersnitches weird American accent. If Tilda and Chiwetel Ejiofor could use their own accents, why couldn't he? The only valid reason I could think was that he already plays one smart-arsed clever-clogs with a British accent and didn't want any one comparing his performance to Sherlock.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

25 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Tilda Swinton and Benedict Cumberbatch were probably the best things about it.

I liked Mads Mikkelsen too, he did a great job despite some ridiculous face-paint.

26 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The only valid reason I could think was that he already plays one smart-arsed clever-clogs with a British accent and didn't want any one comparing his performance to Sherlock.

Did you notice the Bleecker Street sign? Easter egg reference to Holmes' HQ at Baker Street. I've also heard rumors that Dr. Strange and Iron Man will be meeting in a future Marvel flick, where one of them will actually say "No shit, Sherlock" to the other

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

44 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I liked Mads Mikkelsen too, he did a great job despite some ridiculous face-paint

I think Mads' character suffered from the same problem as a lot of Marvel bad guys, "weak villain syndrome". That's nothing to do with his performance, just weak character development in the script. But then, like Ronin in GotG, it was like he was just being used as a McGuffin to get the characters where they need to be for the next phase. Mordo will, hopefully, make a much better villain in the next one. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays a good bad guy.

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Did you notice the Bleecker Street sign? Easter egg reference to Holmes' HQ at Baker Street. I've also heard rumors that Dr. Strange and Iron Man will be meeting in a future Marvel flick, where one of them will actually say "No shit, Sherlock" to the other

I did spot that!

BTW, does anyone know if the surgery candidate that distracted him before his car crash was an Easter egg for someone from the MCU that we haven't met yet? I can't remember the exact line, but it was something about someone with an implant to control schizophrenia that had been struck by lightning? I picked up on the "solider with a broken back testing a new armored suit", but was the other one significant?

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Agreed about Mads' character, although considering it's a one-off medium (movie) and not one that comes in small doses (comic book or tv series) there's not much development that can be done. As for the surgery cases, googling led me to an interview of the movie's creators saying all those cases were random and not easter egg references.

On another crossover note (I know, I do these a lot) I've mentioned how the movie's explanation of the Multiverse has made it easier for me to explain Planescape to people, but now that I think of it, there's a lot of Shadowrun potential as well. It's got an astral plane as well and the Doctor's astral combat scene in the clinic pulled off that concept nicely.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Finally caught up and saw the movie the other day.  

That was definitely the trippiest superhero movie I've seen.  Really gorgeous special effects, and I was boggled by the choreography of the fight scenes in the Escher landscapes.  I could have done with a leeeetle less New Age stuffs (especially the comic-book version thereof; forcing someone to have an out of body experience is a good way to drive them insane), but it was refreshingly different.

I very much enjoyed the different visual style; all those bright colors and curvy lines were nice to look at, after so many dark-filtered somber action movies.

Some of the medical shenanigans were utterly absurd, though.  They could have done better on that stuff.  The one that stood out most to me was the screaming illegality of the physical therapist just giving Dr. Strange another patient's medical file, without redacting his name or other identifying info.  That would get any real provider thoroughly sued.  It would've made more sense if Strange had snuck into the file cabinet while the therapist wasn't looking, and stolen the file.  (After all, he stole forbidden magic books from the library later, so it would have suited his character.)

in other news: I want that magic cape SO MUCH.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I finally saw it Saturday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My girlfriend had wanted to see it in 3D, which was certainly the best way to see it. The visuals were amazing, and I liked the character development. I had fun watching the movie. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath