New and determined (with limitations)

Hi all! 

I'm 37, currently living in Chicago and determined to lose some weight. I was quite fit in my 20s but multiple health issues in my 30s have taken their toll. I have osteoarthritis in my feet, knees and spine (which I can deal with) and a herniated disc/compressed sciatic nerve that has knocked me on my ass. I've had two surgeries to repair the disc since 2014, and now it looks like I'm going to need a third in the future. The doc who did the last surgery says all he can do is a fusion. Second opinion is vehemently opposed to a fusion since my images show I'm predisposed to disc problems. He says if I get a fusion it'll be like dominoes - I'll end up needing more and more surgeries and end up completely disabled. 

Due to chronic pain and injury, I've been mostly sedentary since last December. That, combined with depression and medications with weight gain as a known side effect, led to me packing on 30 pounds. I know this extra weight isn't doing me any favors (and is probably making my pain even worse). 

I've had enough. 

I'm limited in terms of activity, but I'm really hoping I can drop most of this weight with diet changes alone. I believe in myself and I know I can do this. Another aspect of all of this is that I was assigned female at birth but identify as a non-binary transmasculine human (gender is complicated but also simple - I'm happy to answer questions). I'm struggling with the possibility of starting hormone therapy (testosterone) but a side effect of T is weight gain, especially if you're not active and have an unhealthy diet. I've held off for this reason - I simply can't afford to gain any more weight. 

In any case, I'm happy to have found NF. I'd love to hear from others who have dealt with back injuries/chronic pain and what sort of plan they follow. I'd also love to meet other trans folk!

Sam

Hey there, sam! :)

Nice introduction and good thing you're here/that you've found nerdfitness.

Gay girl here, who loves to meet trans ppl! *thumps up*

I've had my first herniated disc at 22, wich was operated on when I was 23 - my second herniated disc came one year later and the operation followed when I was 25 (now I'm 27 ;)

Both operations where necessary because I became incontinent and didn't feel one of my legs anymore. So I feel you, talking about physic limitations and especially when talking about depression - thought my life was over. And well the life i was leading is over, now I've found myself on a different level - I would even say, I leveld up. ;) ( and yeah, there are going to be more herniated discs to come - genetics urgh ) 

Writing on the phone is a pain, so I'll stop that for now.

Keep on working on better diet habits, sam! *hug

• Like 1

First and current challenge Spreadsheet

Current games: FinalFantasyTacticsAdvance

Hey there! Thanks for the welcome. My symptomatic disc is at L4-L5, but I also have protrusions at other levels which are, luckily, not causing me any issues so far. The main issue for me is the nerve pain that goes from my butt all the way to my foot. I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease.

What have you found works best for you in terms of working out? Have you been able to get fit while dealing with your back issues? I'm always worried I'm going to do something wrong and make things worse.

Sam

Welcome to Nerd fitness.  I am just starting too, and stories like your inspire me.  While I have some serious problems with my weight, my health is relatively good.  If folks with physical problems like yours (and some depression to boot) can try to work on their health, then so can I.  So, do you have any ideas on how you might adjust your diet?  Paleo seems to be pretty popular around here.  My own approach is to try to cut out processed foods and simple sugars/starches out of my diet (it has worked for me in the past, now I have to make it the norm for my diet along with exercise).  

My Aunt had serious back problems (and even now, after she had surgery to fix her back, she has sever limitations on what she can lift), so I know how much pain you can be in.  Is there any activity you can do (like walking) that won't cause your back problems?

Anyway, good luck with your efforts.  

--

Bill  

Welcome to Nerd Fitness. You can definitely loose just changing diet and loosing weight will likely help you back pain and POSSIBLY help prevent/delay another surgery.

My step-dad has a bad back with several fusions, pain stimulator implant and nerve damage in his hips into his legs. He has found that walking as long as he is careful really helped with his loosing weight and decreasing pain. Walking, especially if you can get outside can help fitness, and weight loss but also help improve mood/ help depression. Once you get a little more in shape you can walk up and down hills (assuming you have any where you live) for a type of low-impact walking interval (walk up, recover down, repeat).

You may also look into core streghtening exercises NOT CRUNCHES OR SITUPS!!! Maybe planks/bridges? It may be worth asking your doc or getting a PT referral for safe muscle/core building exercises which can also help with the back pain.

edit to add: There may also be some resistance band exercises the PT can give you to help work other muscles (arms/legs) without the risk of harming your back.

On 29.10.2016 at 6:49 AM, stuckboy said:

What have you found works best for you in terms of working out? Have you been able to get fit while dealing with your back issues? I'm always worried I'm going to do something wrong and make things worse.

the discs I was operated on were L5-S1 and L4-L5. 

The things that I did that helped me to lower the pain when I had the 2. herniated disc and wich helped me to recover, were

•  Superman -I could only lift my hands and feet 1-2cm high
  • stretching my hamstring, butt and lower back while laying on the floor on my back = stretches without much pressure on the lower back ( I think I got my 2. herniated disc from something like this - I felt some serious "bone gliding" going on in my back and after that the pain never went away until the 2. operation) 
  • Hip raises / bridges
  • planks
  • pull ups
  • and the most important for me was walking barefoot / in barefoot shoes. Or to say it differently - walking while striking with the pad of my foot first or with my whole foot not with the heel. Walking with your heel striking first has a lot of impact/shock on knees, hips, spine and brain (I read somewhere that every strike is like a concussion for the brain) - there is so much information on the internet if you want to read into it and try it - I noticed that you can even hear the impact, wear earphones without music or hold your ears closed with your indexfinger and walk, alternating striking heel first and striking pad first (sorry for bad english. I really struggeld with expressing myself :)

would be so great if this could help you too! But I wouldn't say that walking that way is the right way for everyone. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2016/08/30/stop-foot-pain-a-nerds-guide-to-healthy-feet/

First and current challenge Spreadsheet

Current games: FinalFantasyTacticsAdvance