Hi everyone,

I'm just starting Nerd Fitness, having discovered the site only a few days ago.

I'm a 30 year old PhD student studying physiology. I'm nearly finished, and currently having something of a crisis when I realize that I don't know what I want to do next in life. There are lots of possibilities, but it's hard to not feel anxious about the future. Being honest about my inner geek/nerd seemed a good place to start, so I'm looking forward to making some friends within this community. Everyone seems friendly so far!

My main reasons for wanting to get more in shape are that I’m disappointed with how little physical activity I do and how little I actually get out and enjoy life outside. I'm sad when I compare my current life to the one I used to have as a kid.

I used to spend hours at the beach swimming, so much so that my hair was permanently bleached by the sun and I had a natural tan. I also did tennis and horseback riding. Before then, I used to climb EVERYTHING. On the playground, I lived on the jungle gym, especially the monkey bars. They were my favorite and my hands constantly had blisters on them... it was so very worth it and I miss those times. Yesterday I went to a park and found that I couldn't even do a single pull up. I miss having more control over my body and I miss feeling healthy.

Long story short, I want to be an adventurer like the characters and heroes that I read about. I want this so that I am prepared for anything that life throws at me, and so that in 30+ years, I’m not paying the cost of having wrecked my body and having wasted my health. It would also be good in order to prepare for the occasional zombie outbreak, or werewolf infestation. Or in the event of any inter-dimensional portals popping up. Either way, I know one tiny human like myself can't prepare for everything, but I can give myself a good running start! On that same vein, I would like to feel energized instead of fatigued constantly and to be sharp mentally. I don’t want to go through life feeling groggy and half-alive anymore.

Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like to be friends.

Cheers,

Sy

• Like 1

Those are some great motivations! I think most people are getting ready for the zombie apocalypse, but the werewolf infestation is a new one! :D

Feel free to head over to the 4 week challenges and come up with some quests to help you become stronger and fitter.

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Welcome to the forums! Thrilled to have you!

Congratulations on the attitude- excellent mindset. Also on the PhD! Always admirable ^_^ Love  the comment about the werewolf infestations- I always say I want to be able to outrun a serial killer. Werewolves are a lot more fun for motivation! You can do it, pal. Just deciding to get started puts you on the right track!

• Like 1

Matthew 25:34-40

5 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Welcome to the forums! Thrilled to have you!

Congratulations on the attitude- excellent mindset. Also on the PhD! Always admirable ^_^ Love  the comment about the werewolf infestations- I always say I want to be able to outrun a serial killer. Werewolves are a lot more fun for motivation! You can do it, pal. Just deciding to get started puts you on the right track!

Hehe. Thanks! I guess the nice thing about being able to outrun werewolves is that you can probably outrun a serial killer, too! :D Prepare for the worst, eh?

7 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Those are some great motivations! I think most people are getting ready for the zombie apocalypse, but the werewolf infestation is a new one! :D

Feel free to head over to the 4 week challenges and come up with some quests to help you become stronger and fitter.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Seems like there is a lot to see and do here (and it's kind of overwhelming), but I'll get the hang of it! :)

On 11/26/2016 at 9:10 AM, KalistaFauner said:

Huzzah to all of it!  

Good for you!   I feel like I have a similar backstory of being very active as a child, and then growing up happened and all of a sudden, activity became a chore.

And also, congrats on your almost finished PhD!  That's pretty awesome.

Yeah! Isn't that strange how that happens? I also used to love going swimming as a kid. Nowadays I'm like eeeeek that water looks cold, and I'll be even colder when I get out. Oh, and it'd be so much easier to be curled up under nice comfy blankets! In fact, I think I'll go nap... lol!