Hello all,

I actually signed up a week ago and have started a personal challenge in the Rebel area, but figured I should introduce myself. 

Long story,                           

I’m a 38 year old female and I’d been able to maintain a healthy weight of about 125 to 130 my entire adult life until about a year and a half ago.   That’s when the intermittent abdominal pains I’d been having stopped being so . . . intermittent and I noticed I was losing my appetite.  I made a doctor’s appointment but, of course, the soonest they had available was three weeks out.  About a week later my clothes were so loose I could pull my (non-stretchy) pants off without undoing them first so I stepped on the scale and my weight was down to 116.  That, combined with the fact I could no longer even look at food despite feeling hungry, led me to the emergency room. 

A CT scan showed massive amounts of abdominal inflammation.   I was admitted to the surgery ward and put on fluids and multiple antibiotics.  For the first three days they were fairly convinced I had a ruptured appendix, but it turns out it was Crohn’s Disease (two of my uncles have Crohn’s so I was familiar with it, I was really rooting for the ruptured appendix).  Nine days later I was released, still on antibiotics with an additional 100mg of Prednisone per day and weighing 112 pounds. 

Being on a high dose of Prednisone for four months really did a number on me.  That stuff is like kryptonite for humans.  Anyway, the Prednisone combined with the very rapid weight loss I’d had, and the fact I was still very sick for quite a while after getting out of the hospital, really destroyed a lot of my muscle mass. Then there were the side effects of the biologics I’ve been put on for long term control and the rather counterintuitive diet changes I’ve had to make (veggies and fiber are bad now!).

About 3 months ago I weighed in at 145, just into the “overweight” category on the BMI charts.  I was still feeling pretty crappy in general but just couldn’t deal with being in such bad shape, so I started tracking on MFP and have managed to lose 9 pound in that time.  Now I’m trying to introduce a bodyweight routine to maintain what little muscle I have left while I lose the last 11 pounds.  I really like the challenge format of NF and think it will help me keep on track.  Hopefully once I lose the weight, I can use NF to help me rebuild some of my lost muscle and get a little closer to my pre-Crohn’s self.

Short story,

I was a healthy weight until a year and a half ago when I got really really sick with Crohn’s Disease.  I lost a bunch of weight, and then gained a bunch and got slightly fat.  I’ve lost about 9 of 20 pounds in the last three months and am hoping to utilize NF to help me lose the rest and to maintain/rebuild my muscle mass.

Anyway, I’m not normally so long winded but I figured I’d get that all out there just this once. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Current 4 Week Challenge Walk to Mordor 2017

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016

Hi there :) One of my good friends has Crohn's and he maintains his fitness as best he can, but he also pushes himself too far sometimes, so definitely pay attention to what your body is telling you. Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Hi! I'm glad you got your diagnosis in time, though I'm sure you'd much rather not have it at all.  It sounds like you have really been through the mill over the last year and a half.  Have you got your condition under control or will that take a lot longer to achieve? 

Im glad you've found this community, it really is so supportive and friendly. I'm sure you'll find plenty of support on your journey. Good on you for joining in the last challenge, are you doing another one this time around? 

If there's anything you need help with then just ask, we're a very helpful bunch here on NF. :) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

@Nedwin @Guzzi

Thank you both and sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I didn't follow my own thread for some reason!

The Crohn's is fairly under control at this point, as long as I avoid certain foods like peppers and don't eat too much insoluble fiber.  However, the biologics used to control it cause their own issues.  Like Nedwin said, I have to be carful to not push myself too hard.  It is most difficult when I have tests coming up.  No more all night cram sessions for me! 

I am doing another challenge this month.  Mostly continuing the changes I've already established, and adding a few little things since I've also started my last semester at college.  I've also joined a few groups, there are a lot of thing here to keep me interested. ^_^

• Like 2

CheshireMoon

Gnome Rebel Lv 3

My Character Page

Current 4 Week Challenge Walk to Mordor 2017

Previous Challenges:

01/2017  12/2016