• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IAmInfinite

Rebel Mini-Challenge

Because I didn't want to clutter the other thread (as it is supposed to be focused on getting a new Rebel GL instead :P)

The Rebel Mini Challenge I ran was based on Blaaid's and generally had four mini-challenges :

• Is your challenge SMART
  • Supporting other Rebels (eg following threads, joining an accountability group, etc)
  • Exercise experiment (Trying something new)
  • Food experiment (Trying something new)

@Miw_Sher and @Guzzi ran a food based challenge called Veggie Chop Off for veteran rebels. They had a different ingredient every week that you had to incorporate into as many dishes as possible.

The challenges I faced last time were lack of interaction, and people dropping off over the course of the challenge. Any ideas on how to combat that?

The second question is whether we should have two separate challenges (because the recruits could benefit from the first challenge)

If not, what elements should we incorporate?

Throw all your ideas and conversation here! 

@zeroh13, @fleaball, @Wobbegong, @Hymnusal

• Like 4

fleaball   

I'm trying to remember what Teros did with the Adventures since we were a lot of newbish folks. Rather than "try a new exercise" or food, what about specific things? Like try a plank for as long as you can or how many new veggies can you try this week? 

Ill try to come up with more. Currently on the road. 

• Like 3

I sometimes glance at the Assassins threads and I know they've done group challenges with a theme/story going along. 

So basically everyone's working together to get a certain amount of exercise done (since they're assassins, they were doing sets of AMRAPs and AMSAPs for bodyweight things, but as Rebels we could be a little more broad-spectrum) and then when groups of exercises are accomplished, they "unlock" the next level of the challenge, which then comes out with more exercises to do. 

They also do competition, where people are broken up into groups somehow and then compete to get a certain amount of exercises done/meet other challenge goals. That could be a thing but I have no idea how the groups were determined in those instances. 

I like Flea's idea of trying a specific thing: you could do a variety of stuff to kind of show off the core components of different guilds (body weight, weight lifting, running/cardio, martial arts, yoga, geocaching/hiking?, idk for rangers they do everything), or do some basics that are useful strength metrics/anywhere exercises, all sorts of things. 

Regarding nutrition, there could be challenges related to kitchen skills as well as mystery ingredients. You could have a knife skills challenge, a boiling water challenge, create and store leftovers properly challenge, etc. The thing with specific ingredients is always food allergies, but you could probably just pick an ingredient and if someone can't come up with an alternative for them. 

• Like 1

zeroh13   
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

They also do competition, where people are broken up into groups somehow and then compete to get a certain amount of exercises done/meet other challenge goals. That could be a thing but I have no idea how the groups were determined in those instances. 

Normally you fill out a survey, and then whoever is running it sorts people into groups.

There was one assassin mini I really liked where if you couldn't do any of the exercise variations, you could do a food challenge instead (cook something with X ingredient). 

Kitchen skills might be useful, but we'd still need a way for people to participate if they don't have the necessary stuff.

• Like 3

CURRENT IDEAS :

Have a story/theme 

Have a competition (2+ groups competing) (Chosen via spreadsheet)

Possible challenges :

Timed bodyweight

Cardio / Hiking (Discover something new in your area?)

Yoga (Other stretches)

Mindfullness (A self care challenge)

Lifestyle / Self -Care

Weight lifting (Some people don't have access to a gym - which is the same as martial arts)

• nutrition
  • cooking (ingredients/recipes)
  • kitchen skills
  • bodyweight exercises
  • weight lifting
  • martial arts
  • walking/running
  • exploring
  • meditation
  • yoga
  • self care
  • goal setting
  • decluttering

Running alongside : Food challenge

Use an ingredient

Use a kitchen method (Need to be careful that it is widely accessible)

Add a colour (Yes it's spelt with a u)

Make a variation of a salad

• Like 2

Guzzi   

1 hour ago, IAmInfinite said:

As in, the correct spelling, not that dodgy Yankee spelling :P 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Guzzi said:
8 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

As in, the correct spelling, not that dodgy Yankee spelling :P 

I bet you two also write "mould" and "foetus." 

Jk English is dumb write what you want. (Says the dodgy Yankee.) 

Looking good on the idea list @IAmInfinite! Maybe a lifestyle/self-care one too, such as a short meditation or a week of gratitude journalling? Lots of life things don't necessarily appeal to everyone but I think there are merits to trying something you wouldn't otherwise, so maybe. 

• Like 4

fleaball   
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Jk English is dumb write what you want. (Says the dodgy Yankee.) 

Looking good on the idea list @IAmInfinite! Maybe a lifestyle/self-care one too, such as a short meditation or a week of gratitude journalling? Lots of life things don't necessarily appeal to everyone but I think there are merits to trying something you wouldn't otherwise, so maybe. 

Ooooh yes this

• Like 1

Guzzi   
15 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

You bet your ass we do! :D 

Seriously, there are some very interesting/funny differences between the various forms of English.  Like the time my friend (from NZ) told me her dad would ride his motorbike wearing thongs.... :blink:   

Turns out "thongs" are flip-flops in New Zealand  :D:D:D 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Turns out "thongs" are flip-flops in New Zealand

My husband grew up in India and therefore has some random Britishy words as part of his vocab. He calls the flashlight a "torch" and I keep visualizing an actual torch like in a medieval castle. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

My husband grew up in India and therefore has some random Britishy words as part of his vocab. He calls the flashlight a "torch" and I keep visualizing an actual torch like in a medieval castle. 

It is a torch? xD Flashlights are big heavy things that you use for industry style jobs. 

• Like 2

fleaball   
3 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

It is a torch? xD Flashlights are big heavy things that you use for industry style jobs. 

whaaaaaaat. I can't google right now but if the latter is the same thing we call floodlights, that's crazy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guzzi said:

aaaaaaaad thread derailed!  My work here is done. :D 

How terrible :D

Nah, when I get back from camping on Wednesday I will throw up a couple more concrete ideas so we can start next challenge.

• Like 2

Teros   

7:02.  British man screams 'TORCH' when referring to his flashlight as Slenderman chases him.

zeroh13   

IDEAS! (some of this has already been said)

It's good to encourage people to learn and try new things. I think that goes for any guild really. As the rebel guild, it would be good to incorporate aspects of the other guilds, plus possibly incorporate other things that are useful for people just starting their fitness journey. The key would be to strike a balance where the mini appeals to both newbies and veterans. Having two minis dilutes the pool of people willing to participate and might lead to it feeling like it's actually two guilds that were just thrown into the same room and told to get along.

Turning it into a competition increases engagement. Leaderboards help with this too. Teams are good for adding a cooperative element, and may help people get to know each other. But that does take extra work on the part of the person running the challenge, so the time commitment should be taken into consideration. It can also be frustrating if one person feels like they are doing all of the work for the team. It would be wise to brainstorm ways to counteract that before it happens.

Some areas to look at for goals, in no particular order whatsoever:

• nutrition
  • cooking (ingredients/recipes)
  • kitchen skills
  • bodyweight exercises
  • weight lifting
  • martial arts
  • walking/running
  • exploring
  • meditation
  • yoga
  • self care
  • goal setting
  • decluttering

I put together a couple of mini challenge drafts/examples. Because I got bored, :P

Mini A

Spoiler

This is designed for beginners who are struggling to start, but I believe would be also useful for everyone else too.

Needs: Spreadsheet, weekly leaderboard, overall leaderboard

W1: Foundations

1. Pick a goal

2. Is it SMART?

2a. Make it SMART!

3. (Optional) Pick another goal and repeat

1 point per letter, so 5 points per goal if it meets all requirements (this basically allows for partial credit.)

W2: Location, location, location!

Where do you workout?

1. find a place or class (1 point)

2. fix it up (1 point)

3. do it! (1 point)

4. (Optional) Repeat

So, if you want to workout at home, find a room, clear out a space, set up whatever you need, and then do a workout. If you're interested in checking out a gym, fix it up could be getting a membership or trial or whatever you need to use the space. Basically, "fit it up" includes anything you need to do before exercising.

W3: You are what you eat

1. Pick a protein (1 point)

2.  find a recipe (1 point)

3. cook! (1 point)

4. review (1 point)

5. (Optional) Repeat

W4: Mind over matter

1. Pick a self-care activity (1 point)

2. Do it! (1 point)

3. (Optional) Repeat

Bonus Points! Post a picture (related to the mini challenge, so a picture of your dog wouldn't give you any points unless it was week 4 and playing with your dog the self-care activity you picked) and get 1 point per picture.

And you only earn points for the goal of the current week.

Mini B

Spoiler

This a team based mini that encourages people to try/do things they might not normally do. It also pulls things from different guilds.

Needs: Spreadsheet, team chat threads, weekly leaderboard, overall leaderboard

W1: On your marks, get set, GO!

Walk/run 

1 point per mile

+5 points for participating

max 50 points per participant

W2: Ready, fight!

Martial arts, kickboxing, etc.

1 point per punch

1 point per kick

+15 points for participating

max 500 points per participant

W3: Heave, ho!

Weight lighting/bodyweight

1 point per rep >100 lbs (45kg)

2 point per rep <100 lbs (45kg)

for bodyweight exercises, divide your weight in half

+20 points for participating

max 250 points per participant

W4: Ommmmmm

Meditation

1 point per minute of meditation

+30 points for participating

max 400 points per participant

Bonus points: post a picture related to that week's goal. 1 point per picture.

The winning team each week gets a bonus item that they can use the next week.

Possibly give a bonus item to the MVP of the week as well.

And again, you only earn points for the goal of the week.

I've also seen mini challenges that span two challenges ("8 week mini challenges"). There's a couple ideas floating in my head for that, but they're more complicated than the two ideas above. And we do not want to start with complicated!

• Like 4

Guzzi   

Something that occurred to me tonight that could be an idea for use in a future challenge....drumroll please.... SALAD!

Everybody thinks of salad as being lettuce, with some tomato and cucumber but it doesn't have to be.  A few years back (when I was fit and healthy) I read a magazine article with loads of different, healthy salad ideas, and I made it my mission to try as many of them as possible.  I ate well that summer! ;) 

There could be a challenge element around finding and making a salad that breaks from the norm and provides a nutritional punch.  It would be a bit of fun for the members who are down with veggies and cooking, and an educational lesson for those starting out. 

Let me me go to tapatalk and I will upload some pics (I kept the pages from the magazine) :D 

• Like 2

I love the salad idea! I eat a lot of salad already. My standard make-at-home salad is lettuce (whatever you prefer but usually red leaf or butter for me), red bell pepper, red onion, avocado, and cucumber. (I can't eat raw tomatoes without being immediately, violently ill.) 

But an alternative is to sub walnuts and blu cheese in for the avocado. 

There are lots of great salads out there! I'm always happy to see suggestions. 

• Like 1

Salad is an awesome idea! 

And zeroh, I really like the second example you gave, maybe because I'm more of a competitive person. 

Then, idk how well a two challenge mini would work if we are also encouraging them to look at other challenges.

• Like 3

I think team challenges to earn points together are a great idea! The only thing I would say would be to make sure it's possible for people to jump in midway through a challenge, because we do have new rebels turning up and jumping in partway through a 4WC (plus people who are nervous and want to watch at first before they commit). 

Both of Zeroh's challenges are pretty good for this since they're week-by-week. Jumping in on a team could potentially throw things off if it's point-based and people randomly all cling to a particular team, but with an engaged mini leader it should be easy enough to manage and prevent that. 

One thing I haven't seen much discussion of here that I do see in other guilds is mini themes? This is "Nerd" Fitness, after all. Of course, a theme can be grafted on at the end once we have an idea of what kind of challenge we're running, so it's not quite as imperative to think about in advance. 

• Like 2

fleaball   

Definitely loving your ideas @zeroh13

5 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

Then, idk how well a two challenge mini would work if we are also encouraging them to look at other challenges.

Good point. My concern with it was also that if we're doing things that span 2 challenges but getting new people each challenge, how will they participate if they come in during the second round?

• Like 2

So, challenges will only last for one challenge.

Here's another issue :

If we use a spreadsheet, should we randomise who goes into which team? Or would we need to have someone to sort through the names (and experience and etc) to separate them into equal teams?

• Like 1