Rebel Mini-Challenge

That's a good question. On the one hand, theres the idea of putting newbies together so they can bond and get to know each other. On the other, there's the idea of assigning a higher-level rebel to newbies so they have someone to ask questions if they want and be a sort of guide. Plus then there's groups of friends possibly wanting to participate together... 

• Like 2

Honestly, I think having it randomized works best. It's just much easier and less stressful and more fair.

As far as questions go, people can ask on the mini-challenge thread. 

For people that want to join midway, they could sign up for the mini and then wait to be assigned to a team. And they could be assigned to the team with the least people, or if there's a tie they could be randomly assigned (or they could pick if we're letting people choose their own team).

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

19 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Honestly, I think having it randomized works best. It's just much easier and less stressful and more fair.

As far as questions go, people can ask on the mini-challenge thread. 

For people that want to join midway, they could sign up for the mini and then wait to be assigned to a team. And they could be assigned to the team with the least people, or if there's a tie they could be randomly assigned (or they could pick if we're letting people choose their own team).

Zeroh, are you an engineer? You've got the K.I.S.S. mentality down pat. (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) Idk if that's actually engineer specific but I learned it from my dad and he's an engineer. And highly likely to over-engineer everything if given half the chance. There may be a bit of family resemblance there. >_>

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Zeroh, are you an engineer? You've got the K.I.S.S. mentality down pat. (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) Idk if that's actually engineer specific but I learned it from my dad and he's an engineer. And highly likely to over-engineer everything if given half the chance. There may be a bit of family resemblance there. >_>

No, I'm not. Lol. I work in food and have degrees in film studies and in accounting. And I dabble in writing and game design.

I learned a lot just from trial and error. Some of my old challenges have very complicated spreadsheets.

• Like 1

I'm going to write a draft for the mini at some point this week. This is what I will include :

Story (any ideas on the theme?)

Two teams (randomised at the end of Week 0 based on who signed up. Where should I get them to sign up?)

Goals :

Timed bodyweight (most time amassed for the -plank- wins)

Self-care (number of items completed wins)

Nutrition (number of salads made wins)

Exploring (most time spent walking/exploring wins)

Winner gets ??? (eternal glory / place in the hall of fame (where?))

Do we mention the one who made the greatest contribution each week / overall?

• Like 2

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Story theme should be nerdy. I'd say pick a fandom that's pretty popular/well known to start: Pokemon, Supernatural, Dr Who, Avengers, Firefly, Star Wars, Game of Thrones (might be too intense lol), etc. Something most people will have at least heard of. 

Signups should probably be handled in a google sheet? In fact it would probably be easiest if all of the tracking was done via google sheet. 

I have no idea how halls of fame work on the forum. I -wish- the leaderboards were designed to help guilds show off prominent members like this, it would be the perfect place for it. I'd say eternal glory / bragging rights. 

I think we can have a team MVP weekly, that should be pretty reasonable. 

Regarding randomizing the groups, it sounds good but maybe try to make sure it doesn't accidentally end up mostly returning rebels vs mostly newbies? We want to integrate, right? (True randomization includes surprisingly high chances of accidental skew.) 

THANK YOU so much for doing this! <3 :) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Story (any ideas on the theme?)

I'm not the greatest at themes... There's always the bigger fandoms like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc. Or maybe something more RPG generic. Like, a level 1 party heading out on their first adventure.

Two teams (randomised at the end of Week 0 based on who signed up. Where should I get them to sign up?)

Google docs? Dedicate a sheet on the tracking spreadsheet? Just sign up on the thread?

I like the goals. Pretty simple and flexible. 

Winner gets ??? (eternal glory / place in the hall of fame (where?))

Do we mention the one who made the greatest contribution each week / overall?

I'm in favor of making a hall of fame. We could make a title and a little blurb based on the theme. It also gives some flexibility with giving a shout out to those who do something.

44 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I have no idea how halls of fame work on the forum. I -wish- the leaderboards were designed to help guilds show off prominent members like this, it would be the perfect place for it. I'd say eternal glory / bragging rights. 

We can make a thread. Give it an appropriately nerdy name. And pin it. Then migrate it to the new challenge when it's time to put those up.

(Whoever our new guild leaders are could bring up the possibility of changing the forum wide leaderboards, but I think the current ones are automatically generated by the forum software, like it comes with the package or something. So idk how much work changing and upkeeping it would be. Depending on how many new leaders and ambassadors there are it might be doable.)

46 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Regarding randomizing the groups, it sounds good but maybe try to make sure it doesn't accidentally end up mostly returning rebels vs mostly newbies? We want to integrate, right? (True randomization includes surprisingly high chances of accidental skew.) 

Personally, I don't have a problem with that happening. It can make for an interesting competition dynamic.

But, there should be ways to even out the randomization if we have people list new or returning when they sign up.

You can also make signing up more interesting if there's a little questionnaire (based on the theme) for sorting people. The assassin's guild does this sometimes, I just don't know how the mechanics. We could ask though.

• Like 1

I'm going to do Batman vs Superman and a short theme for each section.

Threads : Main Challenge & Info, Team designations, Each week challenge (edit for MVPs) (all in one post or separate?), then everyone can post.

I'll just have people sign up on the thread and say what they are most excited for (?)

I'll make a google docs and get them to update their numbers each week

I'll also make a Guild Hall of Victory / Fruit Victors / Champion Juicer (give me name suggestions please). It'll probs be formatted like :

dd/mm/yy CHALLENGE NAME

story premise

1 - USERNAME (Team / 40 reps)

2 - ......

Victor - TEAM NAME

story ending

Should there be a little story each week with the MVP, or just at the end?

(If there's one each week, I will probably have to delegate because I don't have the time or mindpower to manage and write that. Once at the end and beginning I can do)

• Like 3

It all sounds great! I do not know the answer for story every week, but I think it might be nice if there's an overall story progression each week. It might be easier to just write the whole thing in advance, though, and then post parts of it as we go, if we choose that route. 

Regarding delegation I would normally volunteer for that but I actually don't know anything about Batman vs Superman (except that a movie came out recently)... I did read a Batman vs Superman comic once, but Batman was in his 60s and faked a heart attack to get Superman to leave him alone, and I get the feeling that's... not how it goes in the movie hahahaha

4 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Threads : Main Challenge & Info, Team designations, Each week challenge (edit for MVPs) (all in one post or separate?), then everyone can post.

I think it might be good to put the main challenge & info, team designations, and weekly challenges in one thread. And then a separate thread for everyone to post in (or maybe two threads, one for each team). 

4 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Should there be a little story each week with the MVP, or just at the end?

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

It all sounds great! I do not know the answer for story every week, but I think it might be nice if there's an overall story progression each week. It might be easier to just write the whole thing in advance, though, and then post parts of it as we go, if we choose that route. 

I think some kind of story posted with the weekly challenge would be nice. And definitely easier to write it in advance. You could also do a fill in the blank story where you just change a couple words based on who wins that week.

I don't really know much about Batman vs Superman either.

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I did read a Batman vs Superman comic once, but Batman was in his 60s and faked a heart attack to get Superman to leave him alone, and I get the feeling that's... not how it goes in the movie hahahaha

I would totally watch that movie if someone made it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it might be good to put the main challenge & info, team designations, and weekly challenges in one thread. And then a separate thread for everyone to post in (or maybe two threads, one for each team). 

Oh! Yes, I was thinking that too. And then I forgot to mention it and was just like "Yeah sounds good." Yes, I think having fewer threads overall is less confusing, so one clean one for the rules, plot, teams, and maybe even winners and another for conversation. 

I would totally watch that movie if someone made it.

I don't really remember what the plot of the comic is but I'd definitely like to see more aging superheroes. 

• Like 1

I kinda - definitely - want to write it based on Batman faking death to get Superman to leave him alone. 

Wobbe, do you want to pick a different theme and then write it? It could be D&D adventurers style, or something else, idm. 

So I'll be starting three new threads next challenge? Mini Info, Mini convo, Mini hall of fame. Right?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

I kinda - definitely - want to write it based on Batman faking death to get Superman to leave him alone. 

Wobbe, do you want to pick a different theme and then write it? It could be D&D adventurers style, or something else, idm. 

Well, I like the Batman v Superman theme though. I guess I could try writing it... I'll take a look at some other guilds minis, I actually don't really know what's usually involved in the story portion. Any suggestions for good ones to look at? 

8 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Well, I like the Batman v Superman theme though. I guess I could try writing it... I'll take a look at some other guilds minis, I actually don't really know what's usually involved in the story portion. Any suggestions for good ones to look at? 

Both the rangers and the assassins usually have a nice story. But it's been a bit since I've actually done a mini-challenge, so I don't have a specific one to point out.

I'll see what I can find digging through the old challenges.

• Like 1

Just quickly glancing at this challenge's Ranger and Assassin minis, it looks like the "story" is just a little geekery to go with that week's challenge and make things more immersive, is that correct? If so, I'll take a stab at it in a sec. 

• Like 2

I've only been halfway paying attention to this discussion. Once upon a time Teros did stories to go with minis, but the last time I was in the Adventurers was December 2015 so I couldn't tell you where/when to look for examples. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I haven't been following this at all; forgive me if I repeat things already said.

The story is usually a theme that gives people a goal. Tank, in the Rangers, was good about cooperative goals. For example, his story might have us chasing the villain, so that week we had to meet our cardio goal or the story might have us tearing down a stone wall so we'd have to meet our strength goals.

I haven't been lurking in the assassin spaces in a while, but they used to be really good at setting up teams and having competitive goals. IIRC@Starsapart set up some great minis back in the day (maybe she still does, idk).

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

33 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Just quickly glancing at this challenge's Ranger and Assassin minis, it looks like the "story" is just a little geekery to go with that week's challenge and make things more immersive, is that correct? If so, I'll take a stab at it in a sec. 

Yep, make things more immersive, which keeps people more engaged. From what I remember, sometimes it was a really simple story or even just a premise, and sometimes it was a more detailed, in depth story. I think everyone tends to have their own style when writing the minis. A bit of it probably also depends just on how much time you can devote towards making the mini.

• Like 2

The Assassins tend to have more overtly themed challenges, while the Rangers have a made up D&D style story. The second allows more flexibility, though the first has better interest (is that the right word?) 

You can also check out challenges threads and the themes that will be given there. It's a similar idea where you theme the goals you make to elements of the story you are trying to build. Some people then write a short story about how they did each week - relating it to the theme and their results.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

You can also check out challenges threads and the themes that will be given there. It's a similar idea where you theme the goals you make to elements of the story you are trying to build. Some people then write a short story about how they did each week - relating it to the theme and their results.

I was doing that a bit last fall. My next challenge will have a bit of it too, but on a smaller scale.

I tie the story to how well I'm doing in each of my goals. Like say I have a RPG style challenge, and one of my goals is to declutter. I'll have an in-story quest to clear all the rats from the innkeeper's basement. If I do well, the story would be something like "the innkeeper is pleased, and rewards Zeroh with coins and all the beer they can drink." If I do badly, the story could be, "after struggling with the rats all week, the innkeeper fires Zeroh and replaces them with the village idiot." Or if I do really badly it could be, "a rat jumps out of the darkness and bites Zeroh's arm. To make matters worse, the village doctor won't shut up about his new crush as he treats the wound."

(I always write the story in third person.)

Previously, I made up the story as I went along. This time I'll make it before the challenge starts, using a branching narrative. (Basically, what I do in video game writing. There's flowcharts.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I was doing that a bit last fall. My next challenge will have a bit of it too, but on a smaller scale.

I tie the story to how well I'm doing in each of my goals. Like say I have a RPG style challenge, and one of my goals is to declutter. I'll have an in-story quest to clear all the rats from the innkeeper's basement. If I do well, the story would be something like "the innkeeper is pleased, and rewards Zeroh with coins and all the beer they can drink." If I do badly, the story could be, "after struggling with the rats all week, the innkeeper fires Zeroh and replaces them with the village idiot." Or if I do really badly it could be, "a rat jumps out of the darkness and bites Zeroh's arm. To make matters worse, the village doctor won't shut up about his new crush as he treats the wound."

(I always write the story in third person.)

Previously, I made up the story as I went along. This time I'll make it before the challenge starts, using a branching narrative. (Basically, what I do in video game writing. There's flowcharts.)

Ngl this sounds super fun. I may have to try it at some point.

I have a bunch of things to do today between work and challenge and life but I do have some ideas for story stuff for Batman v Superman so I'll try to get some of that written down soon. It is on my agenda I swear! 

• Like 2

@IAmInfinite I just want to let you know I have not forgotten about this, I just keep getting knocked off my feet by the next big important thing to deal with. I am still trying to get back on top of my life and responsibilities but since I've finally finished my statement getting this drafted up is my #2 priority (after chill the fuck out for a hot minute and get my head back on straight). 

• Like 1