[NeverThatBored] My Body Tells Me No

So here we are again. I'm a bit late posting this challenge. I had two other challenge ideas to choose from for this round, and they were both great, but I haven't been feeling it enough to take the plunge. I took my longest break from working out in AGES over the past two weeks. I had a headache/spine pain issue for a week, during which I managed one sort of half workout before accepting that I couldn't handle working out in that state. Then by the time it faded I was on vacation without a plan because I hadn't known if I would recover enough to even be able to do ANYTHING so I wasn't prepared. I managed two runs during the two week period, and that's it. And the first week was 100% justified, but the second week was on me. 

And that's really sort of infuriating. I worked out 3x/week + runs EVERY WEEK for an entire year last year, even on vacation. and this year I just can't seem to get it together. Yeah, I have a wrist problem that's getting in the way, but that's not enough to account for all of the trouble I've been having. And when I don't work out, I start to feel terrible. I feel weak and my life feels out of control and my emotions feel out of control and every little thing feels like it can break me apart. I feel like I'm just going to keep slipping until I totally lose all of my progress completely. I start to feel like my whole life is coming apart. And I'm not ok with that.

So today I did a bodyweight workout at home. And this song came on. And I pushed through. And it was a start. A lot of the problem is just mental. I'm frustrated with the things getting in the way of progress, so I avoid doing even the things I CAN do, and that makes my progress even worse. It's a vicious cycle.

So this is going to be my challenge theme instead of the other stuff I was planning.  My body keeps telling me no. I feel tired and bloated. My wrist hollers if I try to put weight on it. My shins rebel when I increase running mileage. I want to take about 200 naps per day and drown all of my problems in tv and sleeping. But screw that. I felt on top of the world when my workouts were going well, and I'm not going to let my body's creaking take that away from me. So this challenge is all about refusing to be defeated. If my last challenge was about channelling some inner peace, then this challenge is about channelling some SCREW THIS. 

The Year So Far 

For my challenges this year, I decided to focus on one single habit per challenge instead of doing the usual 3+ goals / challenge. There are 10 challenges in 2017 so I can potentially establish 10 new healthy habits over the course of the year. 

• Challenge 1 - walking daily / aiming for 16 miles/week - is still going strong. I score usually in the 12-16 mile range per week and I walk most days, which is acceptable.
  • Challenge 2 - morning routine - this took a while beyond the actual duration of the challenge, but I have a kickass morning routine now. I started doing it again as soon as I got home from vacation, which is the sign of a great routine. And I even did a modified version of it while I was ON VACATION, which is an even greater sign that it's the right thing for me.
  • Challenge 3 - I had a smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch every day to see if this would create a healthy basis for the rest of my eating. It unfortunately didn't stick because I started experimenting with skipping breakfast instead, which I prefer and have continued doing since I started. 
  • Challenge 4 - Guardian. I focused on being productive at work and approaching my mental wellbeing from the perspective of the guardian archetype. Getting work done = being a guardian for people. Being a guardian = personal fulfillment. It's been hit or miss, but it does help on the days that I do it. I do a little mantra on work mornings to help focus on being a guardian, and I think this one will get more effective as I continue to practice it. Today I went on a walk and stopped to pull some cardboard out of the street that was in the path of the cars. #guardianedit 
  • Challenge 5 - I was feeling frustrated and negative instead of celebrating my accomplishments, so I banned any updates that weren't basking. I could only talk about the things that I basked in and I couldn't talk about the things I was feeling down on myself about. This made a big impact on me and helped me reset my mindset. Now of course I feel frustrated by the vacation/sickness break and I'm sharing that as part of the explanation for this challenge, but I ALSO plan to continue basking as a habit going forward. 
  • Challenge 6...this challenge. See below. 

It feels silly to approach this challenge since I already had this habit down. And I still work out weekly, so it's not exactly...NOT a habit either. I feel sort of ashamed to be tackling this again. Or rather, I feel like I'm breaking the imaginary "rules" of my 10 new habits experiment. Which is silly. And, y'know, a master has failed more times than a beginner has even tried. 

So my goal is to work out 3x/week. Work out = bodyweight, HIIT, or other strength training. Yoga, running, etc. are all good but not workouts in this context. I want AT LEAST 2 of those workouts to be my standard bodyweight routine. The 3rd is usually bootcamp class, but since I haven't been going to that lately, I might sub in a basic BBWW for that 3rd. 

• Like 15

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Sounds like your body needs a rest and now it's turn to just back into the swing of things. A simple challenge with the basics is great.

• Like 3

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Sounds good mate! Make sure to not overtrain and eat plenty of protein too. For mood improvement when you cannot workout have you ever tried meditation? If not check out the app calm! Also cold showers can help significantly with mood as well. I've been suggesting it a lot lately but I'd check out white tea for helping with soreness as it is a healing tea!

• Like 2

Current Challenge!

9 hours ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

Sounds good mate! Make sure to not overtrain and eat plenty of protein too. For mood improvement when you cannot workout have you ever tried meditation? If not check out the app calm! Also cold showers can help significantly with mood as well. I've been suggesting it a lot lately but I'd check out white tea for helping with soreness as it is a healing tea!

Ha! I'm right there with you on the meditation. I have a 497 day streak in the Headspace app. :encouragement:

• Like 7

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like your body needs a rest and now it's turn to just back into the swing of things. A simple challenge with the basics is great.

giphy.gif

Also yayyyy meditation!! I just re-started headspace again after being off of it for like, many many months. Such goodness.

• Like 1

Following to see you back to those workouts!

And I hope headaches and troubles with wrists are forever gone.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Week 1 Thursday Update

• Made some delicious breaded honey mustard chicken strips. A++ delicious. 
  • Had Aikido for the first time since vacation! Our sensei wasn't there so there were just 3 of us and we got to be goofy but also do cool stuff. Then we went out to eat after. <3 I love my aikido peeps so much and it's so nice to just bask in the company of people who I like that like me back. 
  • Resisted sweets cravings at lunchtime! Which was a great victory. Did NOT resist the same craving in the evening. I'm mindful enough that I can recognize when an urge to eat is coming from emotional stress and not hunger, but I still can't figure out how to actually stop myself from doing the thing. Any advice?
  • Found my work phone that I have to return to replace it with a different work phone. It was hiding at the bottom of my backpack for about 2 weeks while I was on vacation, and I was mildly panicking that I couldn't find it. Phew!
  • Did a bunch of dishes and cleaned some stuff out of the fridge. :D 

Plans for the weekend:

• Overall - I have a free weekend! Amazing! Weather permitting, I'd like to either go on a hike or a bike ride sometime this weekend.
  • Friday - MRI of wrist (finally!) to confirm cyst and possibly prep for surgery, lunch with coworkers, bodyweight workout #2 for the week
  • Saturday - Run #2 for the week
  • Sunday - Workout #3 for the week
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm mindful enough that I can recognize when an urge to eat is coming from emotional stress and not hunger, but I still can't figure out how to actually stop myself from doing the thing. Any advice?

I sometimes try to reason with myself: "is this food going to make me feel better? Really? Can you remember other times when you felt better after eating that?". Other times is just dehydration and it goes away with a couple of glasses of water. Other times I say to myself I can wait for 10 minutes and decide then, and after that time I usually have forgotten or the urge is not that strong. Other times I try to observe my urge and understand that feeling it doesn't mean I have to act on it. Other times I will just eat the damn thing.

• Like 3

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Other times I will just eat the damn thing.

And I just want to emphasise that this is not inherently a bad thing! Sure eating is not an *ideal* coping mechanism, but it's only a problem if it spirals into a guilt cycle. Food is not just fuel, and it's ok to get happy from eating a cookie.

Another thing to add to Lara's already excellent list of suggestions is to simply not have anything at hand. Or find something distracting to do.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Another thing to add to Lara's already excellent list of suggestions is to simply not have anything at hand. Or find something distracting to do.

This usually works, but sometimes my brain realizes it can go buy the things. >.< 

18 hours ago, zenLara said:

I sometimes try to reason with myself: "is this food going to make me feel better? Really? Can you remember other times when you felt better after eating that?". Other times is just dehydration and it goes away with a couple of glasses of water. Other times I say to myself I can wait for 10 minutes and decide then, and after that time I usually have forgotten or the urge is not that strong. Other times I try to observe my urge and understand that feeling it doesn't mean I have to act on it. Other times I will just eat the damn thing.

Thanks for the tips!

• Like 3

Week 1 Friday Update

22 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:
  • Friday - bodyweight workout #2 for the week

DID THE THING. I almost didn't do the things because DOMS and because I hung out with my aikido buddy at a festival downtown and didn't get home until 8:30. I was just going to do a shorter workout like a BBWW. But then I gave future me a wonderful gift and did the thing anyway (gingerly). It went pretty well! I really need to stop leaving KB swings for the end of the workout when my grip strength is dead....or just lower my expectations about how many KB swings I'm actually willing to do. 

I also did a set of 10 pushups as a warmup because elastigirl has been doing pushups (at least I think it was her) and I'm jealous. I'm relieved that I can still bang out a strong set of 10, but I don't think my wrist would have accepted much beyond that. I'm thinking of maybe parroting her and also doing 10 a day just to see how that goes / maintain my strength. Doing this set was so nice and my workouts feel so incomplete without a pushing exercise. T__T 

I had my MRI this morning. I had to lie on my stomach with my arms above my head for 45 minutes. Tough! The MRI itself was no biggie but I was not a fan of the contrast injection tube they stuck in my arm. Every time a doctor has to stab me I warn them that they can't show me the needle or I will cry. So far they are all very willing to play along, at least. I have to wait until next week to hear the actual results of the MRI. 

I had lunch with coworkers at a Chinese buffet, which was definitely not the healthiest, but I made sure to get a decent helping of vegetables at least. After work, my aikido buddy gave me a ride downtown to this summer festival / block party thing they have going on downtown. There was some unhealthy fair food involved. I walked home because I still needed my walk for the day, so I got a good 2.5 or so miles in + all the walking for the event itself. 

Then I worked out - woo!

I'm also reading an interesting book right now - The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson. I've never read any of his books before, but when I read Tools of Titans I noticed that all sorts of random people in the book kept recommending him. This book is really interesting! It's set in a futuristic steampunkish world with super advanced technology. The basic plot is that this rich old guy realizes that children are so well provided for that they may learn skills to get by, but they aren't learning how to be disruptive or innovate. So he has this engineer create an an interactive storybook called A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, which reacts to the psychology of the little girl who reads it and teaches her how to be innovative in that society, or something. I'm not that far in yet, but it's neat!    

• Like 12

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:
1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm also reading an interesting book right now - The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson.

I love Neal Stephenson! Read The Diamond Age when it first came out. (I never would have thought of thinking of it as steampunk tho since that's an alternate history genre and this is semi-dystopian future, and steampunk wasn't much of a thing yet in the early 90s....yeah, I channel Lisa Simpson sometimes...but in retrospect I can see what you mean.) 

If you like that book, Snow Crash is a must read. It is a bit of a parody of sci fi while at the same time being an excellent sci fi book, so be advised that Stephenson had tongue firmly in cheek when he wrote it. The main character's name is Hiro Protagonist, which should be a clue. :) It's another dystopian-future story, where people live in shipping containers, organized crime is a valid career choice (they have job fairs), and the U.S. is only good at 4 things: microcode, music, movies, and high-speed pizza delivery. (Some might argue that we're already there.)  Life is so uninspiring that most people spend most of their time in an online virtual world - which was the inspiration for Second Life.

A more recent book is Reamde, which is about the creator of a Worlds of Warcraft sort of game (I'm Earthtone Coalition, all the way :P ), who gets tangled up with ransomware, Chinese gold farmers, and jihadists. 

Ok, I'll stop there. Happy reading!

• Like 5

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Yep it was me doing the pushups. @obax is doing them too. Maybe I should make it a thing and set up an accountabillibuddy or PVP or something. Probably accountabilibuddy since we're  one week into the  challenge.

That books sounds interesting.

• Like 4

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

9 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I love Neal Stephenson! Read The Diamond Age when it first came out. (I never would have thought of thinking of it as steampunk tho since that's an alternate history genre and this is semi-dystopian future, and steampunk wasn't much of a thing yet in the early 90s....yeah, I channel Lisa Simpson sometimes...but in retrospect I can see what you mean.) 

If you like that book, Snow Crash is a must read. It is a bit of a parody of sci fi while at the same time being an excellent sci fi book, so be advised that Stephenson had tongue firmly in cheek when he wrote it. The main character's name is Hiro Protagonist, which should be a clue. :) It's another dystopian-future story, where people live in shipping containers, organized crime is a valid career choice (they have job fairs), and the U.S. is only good at 4 things: microcode, music, movies, and high-speed pizza delivery. (Some might argue that we're already there.)  Life is so uninspiring that most people spend most of their time in an online virtual world - which was the inspiration for Second Life.

A more recent book is Reamde, which is about the creator of a Worlds of Warcraft sort of game (I'm Earthtone Coalition, all the way :P ), who gets tangled up with ransomware, Chinese gold farmers, and jihadists. 

Ok, I'll stop there. Happy reading!

I think I saw the word "steampunk" mentioned somewhere in relation to it and it stuck in my head. IDK! :P

Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard good things about Snow Crash!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I'll just leave this here for your entertainment...

Thank you for educating me about the proper use of the term steampunk! :P The reviews on the back of the book call it "cyberpunk," whatever that means.

• Like 3

LOL! You're welcome! 

Cyberpunk usually refers to dystopian science fiction where technology, especially computer technology, has become extremely advanced while society has broken down more than ever.

Fun Fact: the word was coined by William Gibson to describe his novel Neuromancer (also required reading for any science fiction/computer/video game nerd - it pretty much launched the genre) and his related short stories. When asked later to define it he said something to the effect that he didn't know what it meant either, it just sounded cool at the time. :D 

Edit for additional fun fact: Neuromancer is on TIME's list of the 100 best novels since 1923.

• Like 6

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

1 hour ago, Bookish Badger said:

LOL! You're welcome! 

Cyberpunk usually refers to dystopian science fiction where technology, especially computer technology, has become extremely advanced while society has broken down more than ever.

Fun Fact: the word was coined by William Gibson to describe his novel Neuromancer (also required reading for any science fiction/computer/video game nerd - it pretty much launched the genre) and his related short stories. When asked later to define it he said something to the effect that he didn't know what it meant either, it just sounded cool at the time. :D 

Edit for additional fun fact: Neuromancer is on TIME's list of the 100 best novels since 1923.

Ooh! I occasionally look at that on bookshelves but I haven't picked it up yet. I'll have to keep that in mind! 

• Like 4

Ways that my body has told me no today that I have ignored:

• Not feeling like going on a run...did it anyway!
  • Feeling tired and gross and needing more produce....eating pie anyway! :P

Success...?

• Like 10

Found you! I are derp. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Week 1 Saturday Update

• Did a variation on my morning routine and went to Starbucks and sat on the patio reading until noon! 
  • Returned home and did more reading, then took a nap. Naps are life.
  • Went on a walk! I want to get 8 miles in over the weekend, so the first walk covered about 2 of those.
  • Made some fresh almond milk, which is so yummy. Used most of the almond milk between making a smoothie and preparing some overnight oats to try. 
  • Wasn't feeling a run at all - I have MAJOR DOMS on the backs of my legs and have been limping around all day, plus I felt really groggy all day. But around 5 I finally felt awake enough to attempt it, so I went and did a very gentle 5K with lots of walking permitted. I went and did the route I used to do every week when I still worked in the office. There's a big hill that I was used to before, but that really tired me out since I"m not used to it anymore! I want to keep going back there now and re-adjust to the hill until I can do the full 5K without walking.
  • Went on another walk for the evening. 
  • Took a bath with some BATH TEA that I bought on vacation when we took a tour of the Celestial Seasonings factory. Read a lot during the bath.
  • Like 10