Walking Through Psalms

Hello Rebels! @Starpuck, @Genevieve Fox, @IAmInfinite, and I are starting a project to read through the Bible book of Psalms, 7 chapters per week, and report to each other once a week on our favorite verses and what we learned. Anyone from any guild is welcome to join - in fact, we'd love to have you!!

This week we're reading Psalm 1-7, and on a yet-to-be-chosen day next week (possibly Monday?), we will all check in here and write a little about what we have learned or been blessed by in our readings this week. 

Welcome to all who join us on our journey!!

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Here I am!

I'm gonna just put this here, so I don't forget.   But Psalm 5:11 really made me smile this morning.

Psalm 5:11 New International Version (NIV)

11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

• Like 2

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Can I just lurk and chime in sometimes? Not sure I'll read all the Psalms, I'm trying to read through the Bible.But I love the Psalms, and  want to read some and hear your guys thoughts on them.

• Like 2

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Just now, Elastigirl said:

Can I just lurk and chime in sometimes? Not sure I'll read all the Psalms, I'm trying to read through the Bible.But I love the Psalms, and  want to read some and hear your guys thoughts on them.

Absolutely!     By the way... did you do that on purpose?

"CHIME" in on the Psalms?  :D   Love it!

• Like 2

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Just now, Starpuck said:

Absolutely!     By the way... did you do that on purpose?

"CHIME" in on the Psalms?  :D   Love it!

:lol:Wish I could say I'd been that clever.

• Like 2

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

14 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Monday sounds good! That means, we can read roughly 1 chapter a day in the future? 

Yep, roughly 1 chapter per day - I think each of us is at a different point right at this second, so how about for this week we discuss Psalms 1-6 (the first few psalms are pretty short anyway), then it will settle back down to 1 psalm per day next week? Is that doable?

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Here I am!

I'm gonna just put this here, so I don't forget.   But Psalm 5:11 really made me smile this morning.

Psalm 5:11 New International Version (NIV)

11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

That's beautiful!! I love how each Bible version translates the Psalms a bit differently, because it sounds a little different and makes me think of different things in every version. Maybe one thing we could do for our study is compare our favorite translations and see what each makes us think about?

Also, my favorite thing I'm loving about the psalms so far is how they keep reminding me to praise, to sing, to rejoice - sometimes I tend to get bogged down in the "rules" of Christianity, so it's a great reminder that there's soooooo much to be happy and peaceful and joyful about!   :) 

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yes yes, EG, please do!! I thought of you when I made this thread and hoped you would join us from time to time - I know you love the Psalms, but I want to know about your favorite insights and chapters and so on! :) 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

I think one of the things I love about the Psalms is just how honest they are. The singer pours out his heart to God, sometimes even asking why God has allowed things to happen. David doesn't just ask politely for help, he pleads his case. And then David(and other Psalm writer) ends by praising God. 

I was just telling somebody how I was learning to deal with stress in other ways besides eating.One of those ways was to pray about it.  And I realized that my prayer life has changed. It used to be  a lot more, umm, polite, I guess. But now when something is bothering me, I pour out my heart to God, letting God see my emotions . I know God knows my emotions, but for a lot of my life I didn't think that was quite proper to pray that way, if that makes sense. And then I end in praise to God. I still most likely have the stressful circumstance, but I trust that God is working it for His glory. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Yep, roughly 1 chapter per day - I think each of us is at a different point right at this second, so how about for this week we discuss Psalms 1-6 (the first few psalms are pretty short anyway), then it will settle back down to 1 psalm per day next week? Is that doable?

That's beautiful!! I love how each Bible version translates the Psalms a bit differently, because it sounds a little different and makes me think of different things in every version. Maybe one thing we could do for our study is compare our favorite translations and see what each makes us think about?

Also, my favorite thing I'm loving about the psalms so far is how they keep reminding me to praise, to sing, to rejoice - sometimes I tend to get bogged down in the "rules" of Christianity, so it's a great reminder that there's soooooo much to be happy and peaceful and joyful about!   :) 

Coolisa :D

And yeah, someday I want to learn how to read the original Psalms so I can hear them how they were meant to be sung and praised. Translation is always hard, especially the number of translations the Bible has had.

It's such a good feeling to get down to the true message of Christianity and how beautiful it all is. Our relationship with God is something that is intensely personal and amazing, so wrapping it in social and universal rules always felt constraining.

Psalms 2:3

Let us break their chains,” they cry,
    “and free ourselves from slavery to God.

This was interesting to come across because I enjoy butting heads with the problem of free will - and this was such a reassurance. Even David came across this problem, but still managed to believe and worship, even without an answer. Also, people always serve something - even if you turn away from God. A tree might be free from soil, but then it withers and is no longer the being it was meant to grow into. 

• Like 2

Kender Rogue    --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Battle Log ~ Epic Quest  ~ Insta 

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think one of the things I love about the Psalms is just how honest they are. The singer pours out his heart to God, sometimes even asking why God has allowed things to happen. David doesn't just ask politely for help, he pleads his case. And then David(and other Psalm writer) ends by praising God. 

I was just telling somebody how I was learning to deal with stress in other ways besides eating.One of those ways was to pray about it.  And I realized that my prayer life has changed. It used to be  a lot more, umm, polite, I guess. But now when something is bothering me, I pour out my heart to God, letting God see my emotions . I know God knows my emotions, but for a lot of my life I didn't think that was quite proper to pray that way, if that makes sense. And then I end in praise to God. I still most likely have the stressful circumstance, but I trust that God is working it for His glory. 

This is so powerful! I tend to be very "polite" in my prayers as well, and the few times I have really opened up and been completely honest in my prayers, I have been tremendously blessed. Someone once reminded me that God isn't afraid of our emotions, even the super-negative or messy ones - He created the full depth and spectrum of human emotion (and experiences emotion Himself!), and not even those emotions could make Him love us any less.

If anything, I imagine that He would rather we came and sat with Him and let Him help us process those emotions in a healthy way that glorifies Him, rather than try to hide them from Him because we're ashamed of feeling that way. I still often don't feel comfortable admitting to Him when I feel lonely for a husband, or dissatisfied with my looks, or bored and lazy when I should be doing homework, or any of the other yucky things I feel; but as you said, He already sees and knows my emotional state anyway, so it's counterproductive to hide it ...

32 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

Coolisa :D

And yeah, someday I want to learn how to read the original Psalms so I can hear them how they were meant to be sung and praised. Translation is always hard, especially the number of translations the Bible has had.

It's such a good feeling to get down to the true message of Christianity and how beautiful it all is. Our relationship with God is something that is intensely personal and amazing, so wrapping it in social and universal rules always felt constraining.

Psalms 2:3

Let us break their chains,” they cry,
    “and free ourselves from slavery to God.

This was interesting to come across because I enjoy butting heads with the problem of free will - and this was such a reassurance. Even David came across this problem, but still managed to believe and worship, even without an answer. Also, people always serve something - even if you turn away from God. A tree might be free from soil, but then it withers and is no longer the being it was meant to grow into. 

Free will (vs. predestination) is a concept I have been uncertain about for much of my adult life - there are things I agree with regarding both Calvinistic predestination and complete free will, and I get quite confused when I try to study it. I know eventually I'll need to figure out the truth and stop avoiding it, though. :)  If you have any of your favorite resources you'd like to share, I'd love to investigate them!

And I love what you said about a tree and what happens when it is "freed" from the soil - turning away from God, particularly if you have a very rules-oriented view of Christianity, can seem like freedom to some people; but this is a great illustration of what kind of "freedom" it really is. We have no life or peace or joy aside from Him, nor any power to fight sin and darkness - only when we are planted firmly in the Gospel and drinking deeply of His truth do we have life. I love this analogy!!

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

4 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

He created the full depth and spectrum of human emotion (and experiences emotion Himself!), and not even those emotions could make Him love us any less.

That's ... actually a really good way of looking at it. Facing emotions in a positive way is always hard, but God does know all of us and our emotions. 

5 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

If you have any of your favorite resources you'd like to share, I'd love to investigate them!

If anyone could ever be certain about it, I would say that they are lying. I did a project in it (as half an A-level) for about 6 months and wrote 6k paper on the issue. My conclusion : We don't know, we can't know, we shouldn't know. (If you want the paper I'm happy to link you to the google doc :P) But it's such a complicated issue, and honestly I feel that it would be better to surrender the problem to God instead, and focus on building on what life you have infront of you now. 

(There are also some interesting ideas on Truth that I'm slowly developing)

7 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

I love this analogy!!

Blame Life Application Bible! :P I take zero credit, though it is a really good and interesting way of looking at it. 

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Battle Log ~ Epic Quest  ~ Insta 

The honesty of the Psalms is something our recent sermons series delved into.  Many of them begin with the author venting pretty brutally about their woes and even asking God where he is through the issues, and at some point, as they go through the chapters, there is a turning point where it comes back to worship.    It reminds us that it's okay to have all those emotions and feelings, even to admit disappointment and anger.   

New sermon this week is about saying Yes to God.   And man, our pastor is just like me.   Talked about how he is a risk adverse person.  I've been praying, and trying to work on, courage for a couple years now, and I have such a hard time letting go.    I think that's what Psalm 5:11 really hit me with.    His protection is over me.   Trust in it, and rejoice in it.

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

I watched a really amazing interview today with Rich Mullins, one of my favorite Christian artists, in which he talks about his interpretation of feeling God's calling on his life ... I strongly encourage you to listen to the whole thing, as it is only 6 minutes long; but he said something that really struck me and got me thinking - he said he thinks of it as each of us having a particular emptiness in our hearts that is unique to us, something that we desperately crave or fear and can't get away from; and he said that rather than trying to fill or cover up those empty holes, we should allow them to become windows through which we can see and reach out to God. I thought that was an incredibly strange and powerful way to think about our uniqueness and God's hand in our lives.

But it also reminded me of the Psalms, and how David did just that very thing himself. When David had an ache in his heart, he took it to God and he really, really prayed about that ache. He played and wrote music that helped him think about the Lord, and he asked for what he needed, but he also always came back to a place of thanks and trust that God would meet his needs, whatever they were. The Apostle Paul was the same way - he accepted his limitations and his unique challenges, and saw them as special places that God could fill up with His mercy and power.

Bringing it home, one of the biggest holes in my heart is my need for affirmation - not just praise, although that's great too, but reassurance from others that I'm doing well, that I'm necessary, that I'm valuable, and that I'm worth something. Whether that comes from teachers, parents, or friends, my heart is constantly hungry to feel a literal or metaphorical hand on my shoulder and hear the coveted words "Well done". Of course, sometimes I forget that no human can completely fill that space, no matter how much they love me. I want to learn to bring that craving to the Lord, and let Him remind me through the Spirit and the Scriptures how much He loves me and how precious I am in His sight.

Just some thoughts ... :)  Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on Psalms 1-6!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

Hey guys! I completely forgot to check in and post some of my thoughts on Psalms 1-6 tonight - *gasp*!!

tenor.gif 

Feel free to start the ball rolling if you're ready - otherwise, I will come back tomorrow afternoon to get this week's posting started!  :)  :)  :) 

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I just read Psalm 5-6.  David said in Psalm 6 :6 "I am weary with my groaning, All night I make m bed swim, I drench my couch with tears, My eyes waste away because of grief: It grows old because of my enemies"

As I said earlier, one of the things I enjoy about the Psalms is the deep emotion. David is hiding out in caves, in fear from his life from Saul. He's not just -ho hum this is kind of bad, he's gut wrenching saying  how agonized he is. But then in the midst of his pain he says, " For the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping, the Lord has heard my supplication, The Lord will receive my prayer"

David was still in fear for his life, still on the run, still in agony, but in faith, he puts his trust in the Lord, that the Lord will hear and answer his prayers.

I love the example of how we can pour out our hearts to God, but then give it to Him, knowing He has heard our prayers.

• Like 1

How far did everyone get with this? :D I think I managed for a week and a half, but I do want to continue doing this, if anyone else is up for it? (I probs also need advice on how to make Bible reading a daily habit again)

6 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

How far did everyone get with this? :D I think I managed for a week and a half, but I do want to continue doing this, if anyone else is up for it? (I probs also need advice on how to make Bible reading a daily habit again)

I was just thinking about this! I have kept reading, but I kept forgetting to post in the group ... :P  Shall we try again in this challenge? I'll put it on my Habitica so I remember to post this time!!

@MiaulinTheCat @Starpuck @Elastigirl @JustCallMeAmber

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I continued by dabbling as well, lol.  Got up to Psalm 22.

I'd be game for talking in here about stuff again/still!

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I continued by dabbling as well, lol.  Got up to Psalm 22.

I'd be game for talking in here about stuff again/still!

Would it be better to keep this thread, or start a new one in the next/current challenge?

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

2 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Would it be better to keep this thread, or start a new one in the next/current challenge?

Start a new one, the chances will be better of us remembering about it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 10:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

Start a new one, the chances will be better of us remembering about it.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:14 PM, IAmInfinite said:

Yep, a new one would probably be best. Are you up for making it again Sky?

On 8/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I forgot about this! Hopefully now that my tapatalk is working again I'll get the notifications, etc. If we are starting fresh, I am in!

Sure thing!! 

45d550965dd4458c4e73d54542a5d8ef.gif 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished: