• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

[DarK_RaideR] Road to Glory, Chapter 3: The Spartan

Wednesday, July 19

Not much to report today, another basic day of work and workouts.

Eat lighter, eat healthier

Breakfast was oats with milk, almonds and tahini again, plus a pananacake with tahini on top. Got some chicken and okra with me at work, but a real small portion so when I got back home I was super hungry, resorting to some yoghurt with banana and tahini. Had a post workout fruit salad, then dinner was pasta bolognese but with ground chicken instead of beef.

Keep working out

1/3 workouts for the week, ended up doing some rowing of my own during open gym hours. Ended up with a double rowing PR both at 500m with 1:45 (previous PR 1:55) and 5km at 22:37:7 (previous PR 22:37:8)

Bullet Journalling done and washing machine delivered, but the plumber never showed up to connect it. After some calls to the store (mainly carried out by the SRLF) we got through to the man and he's supposed to show up this morning.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Just got caught up on all the wrestling, it's like you kicked the excellence up a notch for the new challenge.

Welcome back, chaplain. Appreciate your compliment, it's good to know you're here and all caught up.

11 hours ago, EricMN said:

This was brilliant storytelling. Love the "Mood Swings" re-branding and the "Highs and Lows" finisher. I've always thought Matravers looked like he was baked out of his mind...

I thought the "Show Stealer" gimmick wasn't going anywhere since he wasn't exactly putting up show stealing performances, but I had to connect the image to the "Mile High" nickname for it all to click. An outright stoner gimmick would never fly in family-friendly NGW and their broadcaster (much like a more realistic misogynist Frank De Pain wouldn't) so I had to go for the implied dude version.

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Haven't seen Lister around for a few shows.  On holiday or something?

Maybe. Roster's too big and there's not enough broadcast time to showcase everyone. Lister and Frye have their big match set for the tournament and since they're already established main eventers, they're freeing up some space for the younger talent to shine on TV shows.

Song of the day

Looks like Amarth have been binge watching Peaky Blinders...

• Like 4

NGW presents: Fallout 2011

Held in Trikala Pavillion Arena, South East Europe

February 2011, Attendance: 6.732

large.CVFP_WhiteMale_009.jpglarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpglarge.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpg

Stars of the Show (John Silver, Landon Mallory and the Addams Family)

vs

large.58a018acc38b3_AdamMatravers.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_092.jpglarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpg

Violent Mood Swings (Adam Matravers & Robert Howard) and Sebastian Koller

Knowing that Viper McKenna and Petter Eriksson are booked to wrestle in the Tag Team Tournament later during the show, it looks like a 4 on 3 situation, when the music of Travis Cool hits the speakers. Everyone turns their attention to the top of the ramp, expecting the NGW General Manager to come out and balance this out.

large.5968caad6f5e2_SuperZero.jpg

Instead, out comes The Faceless, imitating the entrance of Travis Cool from back in a day when he was an active wrestler. Faceless joins the three members of Rock and Roll and the bell rings, 4 on 4 set to go. The masked heavyweight brawls a furious Landon Mallory who clearly can't take a joke, then Silver gets tagged in to enter with a springboard move off the ropes. Faceless gets overwhelmed on the corner by all four Stars of the Show members, but bursts out of the pack looking strong. Tagging Koller in, the energetic German unloads on all four of his opponents, before focusing on Silver who's still the legal man. Both Addams brothers take every chance they are given to sneak in shots, which in turn infuriates "The Louisiana Pitbull" Robert Howard. Taking on the Addams Family on his own at ringside, he is soon joined by Silver, who tags Mallory in and flies out himself to join the fray. Matravers ends up fighting Mallory in the ring while everyone else is brawling on the outside. Howard has it easy against his much smaller opponents and as he stands towering above their fallen bodies, he gets a blind tag from Matravers. Violent Mood Swings storm the ring and overwhelm Mallory who's practically been left on his own by his fallen teammates. This quickly leads to Highs and Lows, with Howard pinning Mallory for the win.

Grade: D (43/100)

large.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpg

Hercules Johansson is backstage, interviewed about the attack The Johanssons suffered on Monday at the hands of Marat Khoklov and the Ivanoff brothers. He says Marat Khoklov hit him with the Russian Legend Powerbomb and dropped him straight onto his little brother's sternum, fracturing it. Doctors say Bam Bam will be out for at least a year.

large.58ca3b3f8f3c0_LukeCool.jpg

Travis Cool walks into the scene and says The Johanssons obviously can't continue in the Tag Team Tournament, so he has made a decision to replace them with the Ivanoff brothers. Hercules is furious at the news of such actions being rewarded, but Cool warns him not to interfere in that tournament match, or he'll regret it. After some furious snorting, Hercules suggests he's given Marat Khoklov instead. Cool says that could happen since Marat isn't booked to wrestle tonight, but Hercules is far from being a #1 contender for the NextGen title. Not seeming to care, Hercules says he wants Marat, not the title. If Cool wants him to stay out of the Tag Team Tournament match, he better put him in a match against Marat.

Grade: D+ (48/100)

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpgvslarge.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpglarge.591f02b06741e_IgorIvanoff.jpg

Tag Team Tournament Semi Finals match

Fitness Fury (Viper McKenna & Petter Eriksson) vs The Ivanoff Brothers (Igor & Ivan Ivanoff)

The Ivanoff brothers attack as their opponents are making their entrance, dropping Viper McKenna off the ramp and focusing their offense on Petter Eriksson. Slamming him on the barriers and throwing him to the floor, they take every shortcut they can as the match can't officially begin before both teams are in the ring, thus they can't yet lose via disqualification. The two Russians end up hitting the Russian Roulette on Eriksson, slamming him on the hard outside floor. A recovered Viper McKenna rushes to the rescue, but there's little she can do on her own against the two big men. The brothers end up rolling her into the ring and the bell finally rings to signal the official start of the match. Already enjoying a distinct advantage, the Ivanoffs take turns beating McKenna, before pulling off the Russian Roulette on her as well for the pin.

Grade: D (47/100)

large.593f990ce47fb_AnnaKi.jpgvslarge.596c7d5e26661_FrankDePain(heel).jpg

Casket match

Anna Twirl vs Frank De Pain

Anna Twirl makes her flashy entrance, before Frank De Pain comes out in a stark contrast, pushing a coffin down to ringside. It is announced that the match will be a Casket match, no countouts or disqualifications until one of the two is put in the coffin and the lid is slammed shut. A disrespectful Frank gets into Anna's face to talk trash and gets slapped for it. Playing to the crowd, Anna Twirl hits some basic slams on Frank but showboating costs her a reversal. Unlike his usual high flying self, Frank resorts to down and dirty mat based submission wrestling, clearly targeting Anna's ankle. Despite boots to the face, Frank simply won't let go and Anna struggles to get to the ropes. She gets the break, but has remained in the ankle lock for too long and it costs her; when she finally gets up it looks like she's unable to put weight on one foot. Her mobility severely limited, Anna is completely exposed to Frank's high flying game and he even takes time to work the crowd before every high risk move he hits her with. The match ends with Frank dragging Anna to the casket by her damaged foot as she screams in pain. Frank hits her with the Orange Wave to put her out, then rolls her out of the ring, into the casket and kicks the lid shut to win the match.

Grade: D (44/100)

large.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpgvslarge.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpgvslarge.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpg

Three Way Ladder match for the NGW Young Lion title

Champagne Lover vs Edward Cornell vs Beast Bantom

Lover weasels his way out of the ring, letting the two arch rivals battle it out. Cornell and Bantom have no problem exchanging stiff blows and teeth-shattering forearms, before an opportunistic Lover charges in with a ladder to take both out. Looking for a quick win, Lover sets up the ladder but halfway up, a recovered Bantom pounces on it to bring it down and send Lover crashing down. Bantom gets to work on Champagne Lover, eventually setting up the ladder on a corner and powerbombing him back first onto it. As he turns around, Cornell shoulder tackles him and Lover gets sandwiched between the ladder and Bantom. In control of the match, Cornell gets another ladder, sets it up and starts climbing. Crawling on the mat, Lover yanks the ladder to destabilize Cornell, who lands on the mat standing. The two brawl back and forth, before getting knocked out by a ladder-wielding Bantom. The big man is extremely slow to climb up the ladder and Cornell climbs up behind him to drop him with a Black Thunder Bomb. Alone midway up, Cornell continues climbing when Champagne Lover catches up with him on the other side. After a few punches, Lover tries to hit the Lover Stunner off the ladder, but Cornell escapes the grip and shoves him away. Lover lands badly and Cornell is free to climb the last few steps, unhook the belt and win the match.

Grade: C- (54/100)

large.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpg

Standing tall on top of the ladder, Edward Cornell celebrates his victory by raising the belt for all to see.

Grade: C- (56/100)

large.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpgvslarge.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpg

Non title match

Hercules Johansson vs Marat Khoklov

A furious Johansson assaults Marat and thanks to his massive size, he looks like the first man who can actually brawl with the giant and somewhat push him around. The visual of Johansson managing to get Marat over the top rope and outside the ring speaks for itself, but it looks like Marat was playing possum because as soon as Johansson joins him on the outside, he catches Hercules with a devastating Moscow Lariat. Almost foaming at the mouth, Johansson stands back up and brawls a surprised Marat around but is unable to lift him for the Hercules hoist. He does however keep the referee's count in mind and regularly gets in and out of the ring to reset it. Fans are shocked to see Marat in such a tight spot for what feels like forever and for a moment, it looks like Hercules has the passion and the power to make this happen.

large.59196b4cd5d15_TheBigBad.jpg

The pair are joined by a third beefy man that few people recognize as the masked Russian, The Big Bad. Known for being the only man to have ever been with Marat in a tag team match, the man jumps Johansson from behind before he helps Marat put him up and drive him through the announcers' table with a Russian Legend Powerbomb. The two men then drag Johansson back into the ring and Marat gets an easy pin to win the bout.

large.5885064ac845f_AlabasterLivingstone_alt.jpglarge.58ca367d9fe3f_ChristopherLister.jpgvslarge.58779810acdd1_VivJacobs.jpglarge.5877980d290c4_CorrineWhite.jpg

Tag Team Tournament Semi Finals match

The Cream of the Crop (Nelson Frye & Christopher Lister) vs Lesbians with Attitude (Viv Jacobs & Corrine White)

Frye and Jacobs begin the match to huge cheers from the crowd. Despite their usual brawling ways, they actually get in a lockup and grapple it out for advantage, leading to a standoff. Lister gets the tag, but Corrine White seems like she doesn't want any of this. Viv turns around and Lister hits her with a dropkick that sends her reeling. Bouncing off the ropes, Viv comes back to a flying Lister but simply tackles him to break up his offense. She then brawls the man to her corner, where Corrine White joins in for a double team move. Still unwilling to get the tag, White backs up to let Viv climb the turnbuckle as she tries to beat Lister in his own game. Big splash leads to just a two count, with Lister kicking out, but it's impressive nonetheless. Frustrated, Viv goes back to basics and viciously beats down Lister. Instinctively, or out of desperation, Lister manages to hit a Kanobi Kutter out of nowhere and it's both competitors lying on the ring. Crawling towards their respective corners, Viv is once again faced with an unwilling partner as Frye gets the hot tag on the other side. Just before Viv can force-tag her partner in, Frye drags her back by the leg and twists it in a submission hold. Not just ready to give up yet, Viv breaks out of it and manages to stand on her feet, going toe to toe with the heavyweight Frye. It is clear however that she doesn't have much left in the tank as she's wrestled the entire match on her own so far, leading to an easy win after Frye manages to lock in the Royal Armbar and Corrine White never bothers to break it up. Cream of the Crop advance to the finals to face the Ivanoff brothers, while LWA retreat to the back arguing between them.

Grade: C (62/100)

large.5967e71c1bdce_MarihitoMasuko_alt.jpgvslarge.586a28e8e845f_LeoHarisson.jpg

Hardcore match

Shiro Akuma vs Leo Harrison

While hardcore matches are usually linked to weapons and bloody brawls, this one's all about extreme high flying. The two men put the pedal to the metal as soon as the bell rings, moving around and hitting each other with flips, rolls and dives. Things quickly spill out to the apron and then the outside of the ring, where the two wrestlers use their environment to compliment their moveset. Leo Harrison pulls off a 450 splash off the steel steps, Akuma later answers with a corckscrew dive off the crowd's guardrail. While spectacular, the match has little in terms of psychology or cohesion to hold it together, instead it's like a montage of impressive aerial spots thrown together. The end sees Harrison hit the PRIDE Driver onto a steel chair, but somehow Akuma manages to get a shoulder up. In an unprecedented display of aggression, Akuma uses the chair he was slammed on to hit Harrison repeatedly, then responds in kind by hitting his own finisher onto the chair for the pin.

Grade: C- (58/100)

Show Grade: C- (57/100)

Ratings: 0.13 (97.500 viewers)

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

This might be a little too nerdy for you but the One Shot podcast is playing a professional wrestling RPG for three episodes and Curt Cabana is a special guest. I've really enjoyed it.

Not at all. I own said professional wrestling RPG, have played it online with strangers, conversed with and congratulated its creator personally and even tried to run a play-by-post based on it on NF back in a day.

8 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not at all. I own said professional wrestling RPG, have played it online with strangers, conversed with and congratulated its creator personally and even tried to run a play-by-post based on it on NF back in a day.

well I've been laughing my butt off as I've been listening so if you ever need another virtual player, let me know. I'm really tempted to buy a copy of the core rule book based on the actual play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

Well I've been laughing my butt off as I've been listening so if you ever need another virtual player, let me know. I'm really tempted to buy a copy of the core rule book based on the actual play.

Eh, that game died and with the time zone differences, I don't see me playing online anytime soon again. Rulebook is great, they've released some bonus stuff on a pay-what-you-want basis with more gimmicks and there's a second one on the way (or released already?) with stuff for non-US wrestling (Mexican lucha libre, Japanese puroresu etc). Meanwhile, be sure to check this out:

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

large.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpgvslarge.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpg

Non title match

Hercules Johansson vs Marat Khoklov

A furious Johansson assaults Marat and thanks to his massive size, he looks like the first man who can actually brawl with the giant and somewhat push him around. The visual of Johansson managing to get Marat over the top rope and outside the ring speaks for itself, but it looks like Marat was playing possum because as soon as Johansson joins him on the outside, he catches Hercules with a devastating Moscow Lariat. Almost foaming at the mouth, Johansson stands back up and brawls a surprised Marat around but is unable to lift him for the Hercules hoist. He does however keep the referee's count in mind and regularly gets in and out of the ring to reset it. Fans are shocked to see Marat in such a tight spot for what feels like forever and for a moment, it looks like Hercules has the passion and the power to make this happen.

large.59196b4cd5d15_TheBigBad.jpg

The pair are joined by a third beefy man that few people recognize as the masked Russian, The Big Bad. Known for being the only man to have ever been with Marat in a tag team match, the man jumps Johansson from behind before he helps Marat put him up and drive him through the announcers' table with a Russian Legend Powerbomb. The two men then drag Johansson back into the ring and Marat gets an easy pin to win the bout.

Good grief, it's an actual Russian Injustice League.

Approved.

• Like 1

Thursday, July 20

A somewhat busier day at work kept me there later than usual, before I picked up the SRLF from physio. Put the washing machine to work in an attempt to fight back the growing pile of laundry, made a few phonecalls and corrected some online paperwork regarding income, taxes and holding a public position. Hope it's all fixed now.

Breakfast was oats with milk, almonds and tahini again. Chicken and mash for lunch, then leftover pasta with veggie sauce and a chicken patty. Dinner had to be light, so we had a salad.

Keep working out

Rest day

Bullet Journalling done, washing machine delivered, but turns out the guy connecting it was an electrician, not a plumber. Go figure.

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For having such a long break, CotC sure didn't wow this time. Looking for them to make it up against the cheater twins in the finals

It's not just them, LWA practically imploded. Between that and fighting the Addams Family at the quarter finals, CotC have had it pretty easy so far. Also, wait for today's update ;) 

14 hours ago, EricMN said:

Good grief, it's an actual Russian Injustice League.

Approved.

I do what I can *tips hat*

Song of the day

Sad to read about Chester's suicide. Here's the first ever LP song I heard

• Like 2

NGW presents: Back to the Future

Episode 21 (Monday, Week 1 of March 2011)

Held in Athens Fencing Hall, South East Europe

Attendance: 4.072

large.5885064ac845f_AlabasterLivingstone_alt.jpglarge.58ca367d9fe3f_ChristopherLister.jpg

Cream of the Crop open the show, cutting a promo about their Fallout victory that gets them to the finals of the Tag Team Tournament. They say they're confident about that last match, running down their opponents the Ivanoff brothers for the way they inserted themselves into the Tournament. Lister especially praises his team's devotion to rules, morals, athleticism and the spirit of a good fight, which of course contrasts everything the Ivanoff brothers stand for. Nelson Frye says it's in their blood, literally. He talks about looking up his family tree recently and discovering that he's a descendant of Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson himself, which may explain why his parents chose to name him Nelson. Lister is pleasantly surprised and given that both men are English, they shake hands and announce that at Ultimate Challenge, "England expects that every man will do his duty".

Grade: C (66/100)

large.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_092.jpg

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpglarge.58a018acc38b3_AdamMatravers.jpg

Once again, Rock and Roll are shown to have taken over a large room of the arena and converted it to their liking. While they were probably going for a rock bar thing, the sloppiness of it all looks more like a riotous teenager's room, which adds a comical tone to the setting. Loud heavy metal music is blaring on the speakers, Petter Eriksson and Robert Howard moshing in the middle of it all and occasionally bumping onto each other. Nearby, a chilled-to-the-point-of-wasted Adam Matravers is conversing with Sebastian Koller, who's got an arm wrapped around Viper McKenna's leather jacket. Facing the camera, Koller says the gang beat Stars of the Show, even if they were missing some key members. Viper McKenna adds that now she and Petter Eriksson are out of the tournament, they'll be on the frontlines so it's time to do this right: Stars of the Show versus Rock and Roll, at Ultimate Challenge.

Grade: C- (55/100)

large.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpgvslarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpg

"The Rock and Roller" Sebastian Koller vs Landon Mallory

The match is a tease or a prequel, continuing from where the previous segment left off. Fans don't seem to be extremely into it, as both men come from the bottom ranks of each faction, but the wrestling itself is surprisingly good. Announcers hype up the energetic German and the cocky South African, calling this match "a return to the roots of NGW" as it is all about displaying two young talents loaded with potential. Feeding off each other's moves, Koller and Mallory escalate the bout with ever bigger moves but neither man having a distinct advantage. In the end, it's Koller who gets lucky and manages to score the win after managing to roll Mallory into a quick pin.

Grade: D (45/100)

large.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpg

Backstage, Hercules Johansson cuts a laconic, yet furious promo about his Fallout match against Marat Khoklov. Simply put, he wants The Big Bad in a match.

Grade: C (68/100)

large.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpg

Champagne Lover comes out to the ring, blowing a kiss to color commentator Tara Green as part of his entrance. He says that just like he predicted, he had the NGW Young Lion title stolen from him without ever actually losing clean. Lover says he'd love to win that strap back, but he also had to consider where his greatest ever rival, Shiro Akuma is at and that is past the Young Lion division. Champagne Lover says he can't be fighting for the title when Akuma is going for the big one, so that's what he'll go for as well. He wraps up his promo by saying he hopes whatever dark power has been fueling Akuma lately, he can't wait to see if it's made him any better than the last time they met in the ring.

Grade: C (63/100)

large.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpgvslarge.5968caad6f5e2_SuperZero.jpg

Non title match

Marat Khoklov vs The Faceless

This time the Faceless is imitating Hercules Johansson and the commentary team is split. Mark Stanford says the Faceless is playing mind games and imitating Hercules is a good move, based on how he pushed Marat at Fallout. Tara Green points out that Hercules still lost and at best she'd expect him to come out and interfere in this match. The bout itself is a weird mix of comedy, stiff arm shots and slams. Being a heavyweight, Faceless is able to pull of most of Johansson's moves, but since he's unable to manhandle Marat in the same way Hercules did, it ends up looking a little sloppy. Marat on the other hand has a somewhat harder time than usual in quickly disposing of his opponent, but once he finally connects with the Moscow Lariat, it's game over for the masked one.

Grade: C- (55/100)

large.5967e71c1bdce_MarihitoMasuko_alt.jpg

Shiro Akuma is kneeling in the familiar dark temple setting. He seems to twitch every now and then. Scenes from his hardcore match against Leo Harrison begin to play, edited into the vigniette to look like memories plagueing him. Akuma ends up growling as he tries to contain whatever's torturing him. He stands up, says he almost fell to the darkness during that match, but he will not let evil take over him.

Grade: C (64/100)

large.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpg

Edward Cornell makes a grand entrance, NGW Young Lion title on his shoulder as he makes his way to the ring. Grabbing a mic, he goes over the Ladder match at Fallout where he won the title, before saying people still keep comparing him to his famous cousin, Tommy Cornell. The mention gets cheers, something Edward doesn't seem all too happy about. Before he can prove all those people wrong and outdo Tommy, he has some other business to take care of first. Since Champagne Lover apparently won't be jousting for a rematch, that leaves Beast Bantom to his eyes. For him, it's clear that at Ultimate Challenge, it'll once more be Edward Cornell versus Beast Bantom, only this time it'll be bigger than ever, because the NGW Young Lion title will be on the line.

Grade: C- (57/100)

large.CVFP_WhiteMale_009.jpglarge.586a28e8e845f_LeoHarisson.jpg

The Top Dogs (John Siler & Leo Harrison), representing Stars of the Show

vs

large.58a018acc38b3_AdamMatravers.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_092.jpg

Violent Mood Swings (Adam Matravers & Robert Howard), representing Rock and Roll

vs

large.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpglarge.591f02b06741e_IgorIvanoff.jpg

The Ivanoff Brothers (Igor and Ivan), representing The Czars

Main event is a Three Way Tag Team battle between representatives from each of the three factions in NGW, held under Tornado rules so that there are no tags and everyone's legal all the time. Violent Mood Swings immediately split up, with Matravers attacking the lighter aerialists Silver and Harrison while Howard assaults the brawling Ivanoff brothers. The surprise attack works and has the Top Dogs and Ivanoffs trapped in opposite corners, with Matravers and Howard whipping each other to land on their stacked opponents. After the initial rush though, the numbers advantage comes into play and things turn around. Ivanoffs catch Matravers mid-air and slam him down hard, while Harrisson trips up Howard to set him up for Silver's splash. Each team focuses on pressing their advantage, but once the babyfaces are out of the match, there is no love lost between Top Dogs and Ivanoffs. An intense staredown turns into slaps and strikes as the Ivanoff brothers muscle their way around to brawl their opponents, create some space and start double teaming them with throws and slams.

large.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpglarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpglarge.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpg

Rushing out to assist the leaders of their group, Beast Bantom, Landon Mallory and the Addams Family storm the ring to attack the Ivanoff brothers. This turns into a Young Guns versus Ivanoffs deal, as the Addams brothers sneakily escape the ring to beat down the fallen Matravers and Howard.

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpglarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpg

This triggers a quick response from Rock and Roll, with Fitness Fury and Sebastian Koller charging down the ramp to get the Addams Family off their friends. Meanwhile, in the ring, Bantom powerbombs Igor Ivanoff and Mallory follows up with a Springbok Ram to the fallen Russian.

large.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpg

Marat's music plays and he comes out, taking his time to angrily march towards the ring. The Addams Family try to double team him, but he sends them flying to the sides as he shoves them away. The giant tosses small people around and hits the rest with Moscow Lariats, cleaning house as he stands tall in the middle of the ring while the bell rings, ruling the match a no contest due to all the chaos that has broken out.

Show Grade: C- (58/100)

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

ruling the match a no contest due to all the chaos that has broken out.

Holy free-for-all Batman! I think there were more people in that last brawl than backstage.

Will be interesting to see how the England vs Russia angle plays out.

Overall I thought it should be much higher rated than C-

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

The Top Dogs (John Siler & Leo Harrison), representing Stars of the Show

vs

Violent Mood Swings (Adam Matravers & Robert Howard), representing Rock and Roll

vs

large.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpglarge.591f02b06741e_IgorIvanoff.jpg

The Ivanoff Brothers (Igor and Ivan), representing The Czars

Main event is a Three Way Tag Team battle between representatives from each of the three factions in NGW, held under Tornado rules so that there are no tags and everyone's legal all the time. Violent Mood Swings immediately split up, with Matravers attacking the lighter aerialists Silver and Harrison while Howard assaults the brawling Ivanoff brothers. The surprise attack works and has the Top Dogs and Ivanoffs trapped in opposite corners, with Matravers and Howard whipping each other to land on their stacked opponents. After the initial rush though, the numbers advantage comes into play and things turn around. Ivanoffs catch Matravers mid-air and slam him down hard, while Harrisson trips up Howard to set him up for Silver's splash. Each team focuses on pressing their advantage, but once the babyfaces are out of the match, there is no love lost between Top Dogs and Ivanoffs. An intense staredown turns into slaps and strikes as the Ivanoff brothers muscle their way around to brawl their opponents, create some space and start double teaming them with throws and slams.

large.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpglarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpglarge.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpg

Rushing out to assist the leaders of their group, Beast Bantom, Landon Mallory and the Addams Family storm the ring to attack the Ivanoff brothers. This turns into a Young Guns versus Ivanoffs deal, as the Addams brothers sneakily escape the ring to beat down the fallen Matravers and Howard.

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpglarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpg

This triggers a quick response from Rock and Roll, with Fitness Fury and Sebastian Koller charging down the ramp to get the Addams Family off their friends. Meanwhile, in the ring, Bantom powerbombs Igor Ivanoff and Mallory follows up with a Springbok Ram to the fallen Russian.

large.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpg

Marat's music plays and he comes out, taking his time to angrily march towards the ring. The Addams Family try to double team him, but he sends them flying to the sides as he shoves them away. The giant tosses small people around and hits the rest with Moscow Lariats, cleaning house as he stands tall in the middle of the ring while the bell rings, ruling the match a no contest due to all the chaos that has broken out.

You know I love chaos like this.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Agreed...

• Like 1

Friday, July 21

Breakfast was oats with milk, almonds and tahini again. There was a meeting at work, so I did grab a bit of a pastry or two, plus leftover pasta for lunch. My dad came by to visit then, his flight landed in the evening so we went out and had taboulet, cheese, veggies, mussels and fish for dinner, while sharing some wine. Not an ideal day nutrition-wise.

Keep working out

Rest day, had to stick around with the dadster so I couldn't go work out

Bullet Journalling done, still no update on a plumber.

On 21/7/2017 at 0:08 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Holy free-for-all Batman! I think there were more people in that last brawl than backstage.

Will be interesting to see how the England vs Russia angle plays out.

On 21/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, EricMN said:

You know I love chaos like this.

I'm starting to get the hang of how to book this whole faction wars thing...

On 21/7/2017 at 0:08 PM, WhiteGhost said:

On 21/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, EricMN said:

Agreed...

Blame game mechanics for putting a cap on stuff. I may have all the narrative ideas and wrestlers to pull them off, but without a bigger platform to showcase it and the financial power to promote it, there's a glass ceiling I can't seem to brealk yet.

Song of the day

• Like 3

Episode 22 (Monday, Week 2 of March 2011)

Held in Slaskie Stadion, Poland, Central Europe

Attendance: 2.727

large.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpgvslarge.59677de8503ad_MainstreamHernandez.jpglarge_Vita.jpg

Landon Mallory vs "Mainstream" Hernandez (with Vita)

The opening match is a showcase of NGW's younger talent, as well as a celebration for NGW's return to Central Europe. Hernandez takes Mallory by surprise with some quick aerial offense, using his charisma between moves to fire up the crowd. Mallory gets his head in place and counterattacks, using his size and strength advantage to muscle Hernandez around with some power moves. Vita riles the fans in support of Hernandez who makes his comeback, but color commentator Tara Green gets in an argument with her at ringside. Distracted by the two women almost getting into a brawl of their own, Hernandez gets rolled up and with a sneaky grab of the tights, Mallory picks up the win.

Grade: D- (38/100)

large.CVFP_WhiteMale_009.jpglarge.586a28e8e845f_LeoHarisson.jpglarge.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpg

Flanked by the Addams brothers, the Top Dogs adress the camera and answer the challenge laid last week, saying they'll make Stars of the Show vs Rock and Roll happen at Ultimate Challenge.

Grade: D (45/100)

large.5885064ac845f_AlabasterLivingstone_alt.jpglarge.58ca367d9fe3f_ChristopherLister.jpg

Cream of the Crop come out to a big reaction from the crowd. Lister and Frye go through their matches in the Tag Team Tournament so far and their "peculiar string of bad luck". Indeed, they point out initially they never knew who they were facing in the quarter finals until it was go time. Then they made it through to fight the Johanssons, but that got canned when Bam Bam got injured. The spot was taken by the Ivanoff Brothers, but even now there's rumors backstage that one of them is still hospitalized after last week's brawl.

large.58ca3b3f8f3c0_LukeCool.jpg

The music of Travis Cool plays and the General Manager comes out, saying he sadly has to confirm the rumors, as Igor Ivanoff is out with a Cranial Contusion as a result of last week's free-for-all. However, he still has a way in mind that he could work around things and he plans to test the waters tonight.

Grade: D+ (49/100)

large.596c7d5e26661_FrankDePain(heel).jpg

Frank De Pain cuts a promo backstage, boasting about having beat all the women in the company. He runs through every one of his recent matches, ending with his victory over Anna Twirl at Fallout and how he finally rid NGW of her presence.

Grade: E+ (31/100)

large.58a018acc38b3_AdamMatravers.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_092.jpgvslarge.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpglarge.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpg

Violent Mood Swings (Adam Matravers & Robert Howard) vs Hercules Johansson & Ivan Ivanoff

From their entrances, it is obvious that Johansson and Ivanoff are tense in their fragile pairing. The unlikely pairing does however seem to work out, as Adam Matravers finds himself in the wrong corner and both men challenge each other over who can hit him the hardest. Johansson and Ivanoff take turns to strike or slam Matravers, then challenge the other to do better. Eventually, this escalates to insults between the two, an argument that provides Matravers with the oppportunity to escape and give the hot tag to his partner. Howard charges in and cleans house, but as they recover at ringside, Johansson and Ivanoff go from insults to getting physical. Howard doesn't look interested in joining the brawl, instead he tags in his partner with directions to hit a flying move on their opponents. In his new laid back attitude, Matravers takes his time getting to the corner and climbing the ropes, teasing perhaps a Mile High Moonsault to the outside when the referee's count reaches ten. Violent Mood Swings win by countout and Matravers hops back onto the ring, pointing at his head for outsmarting the opposition. Howard, as usual, looks confused and the fans are disappointed at being denied the big spot, but the result does not change.

Grade: D+ (52/100)

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpglarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpglarge.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpg

The remaining members of Rock and Roll are backstage, hosting Viper's Moshpit with a big guest, the brand new NGW Young Lion champion, Edward Cornell. After some basic questioning on his victory, the three hosts bring up his relation to Tommy Cornell and start talking about rock bands whose members were lesser known relatives of big rockstars. This of course doesn't sit with Cornell, so when the hosts try to switch from that discussion into an offer about Cornell joining their group, his refusal comes as no surprise.

Grade: D+ (51/100)

large.5967e71c1bdce_MarihitoMasuko_alt.jpglarge.58ca3b3f8f3c0_LukeCool.jpglarge.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpg

Travis Cool comes to the ring and calls out Shiro Akuma, then Champagne Lover, who come out to join him. Cool praises Akuma for his hardcore match against Leo Harrison at Fallout, saying it's a victory big enough to earn him another title shot at Marat Khoklov, who needed a challenger anyway. Before Champagne Lover can complain, Cool adds that he's heard what the Mexican said last week and took that into account as well, so to balance both ends, he has decided to book them against each other at Ultimate Challenge for the chance to become the new #1 contender. Fans love the announcement and so do the wrestlers, nodding in agreement.

Grade: D+ (50/100)

large.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpglarge.59750a444506a_JasminePerlot.jpg

Returning from the announcement, backstage Champagne Lover runs into a rather stunning woman. Speaking with a distinct french accent, she simply introduces herself as "a big fan" and says she heard the announcement so she'd like to wish him good luck. Champagne Lover is silent, but his body language speaks volumes as he checks out the woman walking away.

large.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpg

Beast Bantom cuts a short but intense promo. He says at Ultimate Challenge, he'll deliver more than a grudge match, more than a title match even. Come that night, he will end Cornell's career.

large.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpgvslarge.5950b2ab16f00_MegumiNakajima.jpg

Non title match

Marat Khoklov vs Megumi Nakajima

His competitive spirit rekindled by the announced promise of having a new contender for his title, Marat comes looking for a fight. Crisp and methodical, Nakajima uses her excellent footwork to stay just out of reach while stepping in to hit Marat's calves with stiff kicks that echo across the arena. Even when he manages to grab her leg, she turns things around by spinning and kicking him in the chest with her free leg. The combination of her battle screams, stiff kicks and maybe her looks inspire fans to start a "Chun Li" chant for laughs, but in all fairness she displays a fighting spirit and a never say die attitude much like that character. Marat gets a second wind, running on pure rage and hatred, an offensive that ends with a big powerslam and a heroic kick out at two. Nakajima switches to submissions as she grabs a hold of the Russian's foot before he can get up after the pin attempt. While obviously not enough to take out the big man, it does keep him down and gets some damage done, since clearly Marat struggles to get back on his feet. Nakajima looks to take the extra step as she introduces some aerial offense to the game, going high risk and while it pleases viewers, it's just not enough to keep Marat down. The match ends when she goes all the way to the top turnbuckle but spends too much time thinking about taking off. This allows a recovered Marat to simply pick her up and then drop her down with a Russian Legend Powerbomb for the win. Nakajima gets cheered regardless for her valiant effort and even Marat seems to be giving her a minimum of respect for what she was able to do in the ring.

Show Grade: C- (59/100)

• Like 3

Hercules and Ivan are a fail sandwich. If CotC go against them in the final it will seem a but of a let down as I was hoping for a big fight. Perhaps some of the other Russian mafia will jump in to interfere.

"inspire fans to start a "Chun Li" chant for laughs"

So I guess next they are going to start calling Marat "Zangief"? :D  

Curious to see who the French woman is

• Like 2

Saturday, July 22

Meant to go for a workout, but that went down the drain because reasons. Instead, we went to a discount outlet mall and I grabbed a new pair of Reebok Nanos. My old 3s were pretty beat up and I donated them a while back, so a pair of 5s for 55 Euro were not bad at all, not to mention the same model that the SRLF found for her size at 35 Euros.

As usual, breakfast was oats with milk, almonds and tahini again. During a coffee outside, we got a chicken/cheddar/avocado quesadilla, of which I had a quarter, then during the weird lunch case I had an omelette with potatoes. Skipped the oriental dessert and ice cream my dad brought home and at night we went out for dinner. Boiled veggies, mushroom pie, fries, spicy chicken with peppers, metballs and a 1L bottle of fresh beer I shared with the SRLF. Not ideal, but given the circumstances of my dad being here and us eating outside all the time, it was a decent result.

Keep working out

As mentioned, rest day.

No Bullet Journalling on weekends or any plumber update.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hercules and Ivan are a fail sandwich. If CotC go against them in the final it will seem a but of a let down as I was hoping for a big fight. Perhaps some of the other Russian mafia will jump in to interfere

Of course they are, but I gotta fill in some TV episodes with material :P The story here was Cool putting together the remaining half of each team, which of course imploded while Violent Mood Swings had a chance to showcase their characters too.

"inspire fans to start a "Chun Li" chant for laughs"

So I guess next they are going to start calling Marat "Zangief"? :D

As I was typing the match, I figured if you added two buns of hair to Nakajima's portrait, she does kind of look like Chun Li and she certainly has her offense. Technically, Marat is a Zangief, though with slightly different looks and background. I could however ask the game's community to try and come up with Street Fighter-like variations of both portraits.

large.597585a87a296_FrankVanHeer_alt(X-Wingpilot).jpg

The things I've commissioned...

Curious to see who the French woman is

It's not Tara Green, that's for sure ;)

Song of the day

• Like 3

Episode 23 (Monday, Week 3 of March 2011)

Held in some venue at Italy

Attendance: 1.800

large.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpgvslarge.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpg

"The Rock and Roller" Sebastian Koller vs Ivan Ivanoff

Show opens with the energetic babyface Sebastian Koller taking on the hulking Russian brawler Ivan Ivanoff in a clash of attitudes. With both men being members of Rock and Roll and The Czars respectively, this fight is bigger than the two of them as they are each representing their faction. Koller comes out swinging and excites the crowd with a couple of big moves, before Ivanoff connects with a forearm to the face that stops the German dead on his tracks. Ivan beats down his opponent in an unspectacular but effective way, taking short breaks to work the crowd into booing him. Once the fans have been somewhat riled up, Koller makes his comeback and manages to hit Hamburg Rock City for the win.

Grade: D- (37/100)

large.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpglarge.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpg

A video plays next, recapping NGW's evolution across the years and hyping the fact that this is the first ever show the company has held on Italian soil. Things then shift towards future bookings, with the announcement that the match between Beast Bantom and Edward Cornell for the NGW Young Lion title at Ultimate Challenge will be an ambulance match: only way to win is strap your opponent to a stretcher, get them on the back of an ambulance that will be parked at ringside and slam the doors shut. Given the history between these two and the title on the line, it is said that one of them is bound to end up at the hospital by the end of it. The video ends with a big announcement about a four way tag team match to determine who will face Cream of the Crop for the NGW Tag Team titles at the finals of the Tag Team Tournament at Ultimate Challenge and that match, is now.

Grade: C- (57/100)

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpg

Fitness Fury (Viper McKenna & Petter Eriksson)

vs

Violent Mood Swings (Adam Matravers & Robert Howard)

vs

Top Dogs (John Silver & Leo Harrison)

vs

large.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpg

The Addams Family (Jimmy & Kalvin Addams)

The lineup tells the story: this is more than just a four way bout for a shot at the big title match, it's the next chapter in the ongoing feud between Rock and Roll and Stars of the Show. As expected, the factions result in automatic alliances, with Fitness Fury and Violent Mood Swings working together against the Top Dogs and the Addams Family. Leo Harrison acts borderline suicidal when he picks up a fight with both Robert Howard and Petter Eriksson outside the ring, taking a brutal beating from the two big men. Silver and Matravers do their flying stuff in the ring, when Viper McKenna tags herself in. Silver sees the opportunity, tags one of the Addams brothers in and dives onto Matravers, the momentum taking both men out of the ring. With McKenna practically isolated, the Addams Family use their sneaky ways and numbers advantage to overwhelm her and eliminate Fitness Fury from the match. The scale tips in favor of Stars of the Show and the Addams Family are free to aid the Top Dogs. Violent Mood Swings put up a valiant fight, but in the end they just can't win a four on two situation. Matravers gets hit with the PRIDE Driver before Harrison pins him for the elimination, leaving Top Dogs and Addams Family to fight it out. It looks like the faction is about to collapse on itself, but instead Silver orders the Addams brothers to lay down. The mockery of the situation sends fans into furious boos and Kalvin Addams goes through with the plan, letting Silver pin him to send the Top Dogs into the finals.

large.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpglarge.58e1f2ab13af4_TaraGreen.jpg

Champagne Lover is backstage, heading towards the entrance way with a mean smile on his lips when he runs into Tara Green. Blocking his way, Green confronts him over Jasmine Perolt. The name doesn't ring a bell to the Mexican, but Green says it should as she's the french woman that wished him good luck last week. Amazed at Green's jealousy, Lover tells her she's being paranoid taking up a random encounter and researching into that woman. Saying he's got business to attend to, Champagne Lover tries to walk past Green, but she pulls him back and tells him he won't just walk out of this.

large.5967e71c1bdce_MarihitoMasuko_alt.jpgvslarge.596c7d5e26661_FrankDePain(heel).jpg

Shiro Akuma vs Frank De Pain

Frank De Pain voices his delight at finally being able to "wrestle a proper opponent" and Akuma goes straight to it by hitting him with an explosive dropkick. After an initial offensive sequence, Akuma once again seems to be struggling with whatever's haunting him, which allows De Pain to gain control of the match. Unlike his recent matches, FDP doesn't bother with the power or technical stuff, instead reverting to his old high flying ways that made him popular in the first place. From the looks of it, Frank De Pain is out to prove himself by outperforming Akuma. Easier said than done though, the two men go all out as they pull off ever more spectacular spots to the delight of the fans but the skies belong to Akuma. Reversing an Orange Wave into a Masuko Akuma Cradle, he gets the one two three and the win.

Grade: C (60/100)

large.586a28e8e845f_LeoHarisson.jpg

Backstage, Leo Harrison praises both men for their performance. He says Travis Cool is out for the night with health issues and he's filling in. It was his idea to make Bantom vs Cornell an ambulance match, as well as pairing up Akuma and De Pain. On the contrary, the four way tag team match was Cool's idea and in no way his own plot to thrust himself in the Tag Team Tournament finals. As his last master stroke, he would now like to present the night's big main event.

Grade: C (60/100)

large.5885064ac845f_AlabasterLivingstone_alt.jpglarge.58ca367d9fe3f_ChristopherLister.jpgvslarge.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpglarge.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpg

Cream of the Crop (Nelson Frye & Christopher Lister) vs Marat Khoklov & Hercules Johansson

If pairing up Johansson with Ivanoff last week was a bad idea, this one has disaster written all over it. Frye and Johansson start the match with big shots and failed attempts at power moves since neither can pick the other heavyweight up. Marat tags himself in, overpowers Frye and slams him to the mat, telling Johansson that's how it's done. Calling for Lister to come in, Marat gets his wish and Lister gets the tag as he comes in flying. Marat catches him with ease and drives him to the mat as well, but can't get the pinfall as Lister gets a shoulder up at two. Another attempt at a slam is reversed and Lister twists around the giant but just doesn't have the power to throw him around, so he settles for an odd choke-like hold instead. Marat stumbles around and when he reaches the corner, Johansson tags himself in. With animalistic fury, Johansson beats down Lister but his emotions get the best of him and he ends up arguing with Marat. Lister pulls Marat's legs to drop him on Johansson, then gives the hot tag to Frye who charges in to drop both men out of the ring. In a deja vu from last week, Khoklov and Johansson turn their argument into a physical brawl, only this time there's no countout. Marat nails Johansson with a Moscow Lariat, then rolls him in the ring for Frye to pin. Not one to settle for such a cheap win, Frye helps Johansson up and gives him a chance to properly defend himself, though in the end he has no problem locking in the Royal Armbar for the tapout win.

Grade: C (67/100)

Show Grade: C (67/100)

Ratings (new record!): 0.15 (112.500 viewers)

• Like 3

Sunday, July 23

Dad left in the morning and we left with the SRLF to attend the annual beach party of our crossfit box. We then drove to her mom's house to check on the kitten we rescued a few days back, only to find him on her mom's lap all cuddly and grown up. Its leg is getting better and all the bugs are gone. We then drove to a nice place near the box for dinner before returning home to shower and sleep.

As usual, breakfast was oats with milk, almonds and tahini again. Since we didn't have any food cooked, we grabbed a couple of pastries each (I had a cheese pie and a slice of pizza) but that was enough to keep me going and I didn't have any snacks or beer at the beach bar, except for some watermelon that some dude brought. We shared another pizza slice with the SRLF after the party, then for dinner we had a salad each and shared some tangerine juice. She had some ice cream after, but I resisted.

Keep working out

Though technically a rest day, we did get to use the blow up platform games for an hour. This is the same platform we used two years back to host the final event of the Community Meet competition, so I had an hour to balance around, climb and swing from stuff while getting friction burns on my shoulder, elbow and knee. Coupled with the swimming, I think it makes for a workout altogether.

No Bullet Journalling on weekends or any plumber update.

19 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Really liked the main event. Frye helping Johansson up was a classy move, huge contrast with the Czars SOP...

Yup it was a good chance to highlight the difference between Frye's new gentleman gimmick and the baked laid back Matravers. Also the difference between newcomer Ivanoff and the monster of a NextGen champion Khoklov. Now, I'm off to post the final episode before Ultimate Challenge...

Song of the day

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Heidi said:

Shout at the Devil got a lot of air time in my personal world in tenth grade.

Thanks for the throwback!

3 minutes ago, Heidi said:

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed that my first concert was Motley Crue.

I was blasting KISS and Motley while driving yesterday, hence the Song of the Day. No shame in seeing the Crue live, especially in during their peak

• Like 1

Episode 24 (Monday, Week 4 of March 2011)

Held at some venue in France

Attendance: 1.600

large.5975df1650cb9_AlabasterLivingstone_alt(hat).jpglarge.58ca367d9fe3f_ChristopherLister.jpg

Announced as "Vice-Admiral Nelson Frye and Christopher Lister" the team make their entrance dressed in Napoleonic Wars era costumes to a chorus of boos from the triggered French crowd. Cutting a promo in English and stressing their British accent, a fact that further infuriates local fans, the duo hype their upcoming match against the Top Dogs at Ultimate Challenge for the NGW Tag Team titles at the finals of the Tag Team Tournament. The promo ends with Lister appealing to Leo Harrison's sense of national pride, saying it's his patriotic duty as "England expects that every man will do his duty".

Grade: B- (73/100)

large.58ca35cf29d11_JeriBehr.jpglarge.5950b2ab16f00_MegumiNakajima.jpgvslarge.590e2ae0bdc72_JacquesDuPont.jpglarge.590e2ad1bf577_PierreDuPont.jpg

Jeri Behr and Megumi Nakajima vs The Foreign Legion (Jaques & Pierre DuPont)

The Foreign Legion have appeared in NGW shows in the past, but the nostalgia is nothing compared to the hometown hero welcome the two brothers get from the fans. Since they are supposed to be the villains in the match, the two men do their best to disrespect their opponents. Their technical based style gives them plenty of ways to be insulting, as well as time to shout obscenities while resting in a hold. Once they've managed to get the desired negative reaction from the crowd, the brothers slowly get outwrestled by the technical brilliance of Nakajima. When she's in control of the match, she gives the tag to Behr who pulls off some spectacular stunt flips, last of which is her Standing Moonsault finisher that wins the match for the ladies.

Once the match is over and the winners are done celebrating, they are handed microphones to announce that they will be making this partnership official, teaming up as "Girl Power" from now on.

large.58ca36456a5ce_MaratKhoklov.jpglarge.591f02b6b869f_IvanIvanoff.jpg

Marat Khoklov and Ivan Ivanoff interrupt the announcement with wicked smiles on their faces. With no contender set to challenge for the NextGen title at Ultimate Challenge and the Top Dogs facing Cream of the Crop for the tag titles, the two men tell Girl Power they now have a date for the big night, a match against RUSSIAN Power!

Grade: C- (54/100)

large.5967712a99eb6_ChampagneLover.jpg

Coming back from commercial break, Champagne Lover is on the phone, apparently with Tara Green. Lover says last week he was about to interfere in Shiro Akuma's match to soften him up for their upcoming match at Ultimate Challenge, but Green's jealousy kept him arguing backstage for too long. It looks like the conversation isn't going anywhere and Lover is clearly frustrated, when his eye falls on something. Quickly wrapping up the call before hanging up on Tara Green, he puts on his most charming smile and walks towards whatever caught his eye.

large.5975df26deda3_LizSweetheart.jpg

A gorgeous lady with fiery red hair, complete with a matching dress and heels stands there smiling at him. She introduces herself as Liz Sweetheart in the faintest of British accents, saying she's a big fan and she wanted to meet him in person so she snuck her way into the backstage area. Lover says he's always glad to meet fans, especially beautiful ones like her. Slyly wrapping his arm around her waist, he pulls her closer and offers to give her a tour of the backstage area, to which of course she obliges and the two set off.

large.596c7d5e26661_FrankDePain(heel).jpgvslarge.5975df32e65dc_SpeedyMarie.jpg

Frank De Pain vs Speedy Marie

French fans are solid in support of local girl Speedy Marie, who they already know from her time in various European promotions. Since she's never appeared for NGW, the announcers sing her praises and recap her achievements for the viewers on TV in order to get across how tough this match is going to be for the Dutchman. Marie is an accomplished high flyer and she uses her skills to wow the fans, as opposed to the ground and pound game that Frank De Pain goes for. Cheating to get her in the Orange Wave for the subsequent pin, Frank De Pain picks up another victory and the burning hate of the audience.

Frank De Pain demands that the referee raises his hand and takes in all the reaction from the crowd, before motioning for a microphone. He proceeds to talk the audience down before boasting about beating every woman there is to beat.

Grade: D- (36/100)

large.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_009.jpglarge.586a28e8e845f_LeoHarisson.jpglarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpg

John Silver, Leo Harrison and Landon Mallory are discussing backstage when Hercules Johansson walks up to them. The big Norwegian says he couldn't find Travis Cool anywhere, so he's taking his request to the present authority of Silver and Harrison. Hercules says he's had enough of teaming up with Ivanoff and Khoklov and he wants a match against the Czars, not on their side. The Top Dogs seem hesitant since the available members of that faction are booked to face Girl Power at Ultimate Challenge, so Mallory tosses an alternative idea: Hercules, the Addams Family and himself against four members of Rock and Roll.

Grade: D+ (51/100)

large.590998a75de88_EdwardCornell.jpgvslarge.59099096d530f_SebastianKoller.jpgvslarge.CVFP_AsianMale_014.jpg

Non title match

Edward Cornell vs "The Rock and Roller" Sebastian Koller vs "The Lone Wolf" Okami

Cornell and Koller seem to be getting in an argument, with Cornell apparently angry about the recent Viper's Moshpit segment where he was again compared to his big cousin, Tommy. Okami, who doesn't care, attacks both men, then splits his strikes equally between the two to dominate the start of the match. Koller and Cornell quickly bounce back after the wake up call and overwhelm Okami, knocking him out so they can go at each other's throats. The back and forth fighting isn't anything special from a wrestling standpoint, but the intensity between these two and the stiffness of their strikes tells the emotional story behind their brawl. As soon as Cornell seems to have an advantage over Koller, a recovered Okami returns to the fight trying to take advantage, only to get caught in the Black Thunder Bomb as Cornell covers him for the pin.

Cornell is handed the NGW Young Lion title, which he puts on his shoulder and walks backstage when a loud bang is heard. The double side doors burst open in a flash of red lights as an ambulance apparently rammed them open. The vehicle comes to an abrupt stop next to the ramp and out of the driver's seat comes...

large.58ca3411bb23d_BeastBantom.jpg

...Beast Bantom, charging at Cornell. The two men have a big brawl at ringside, with a fresh Bantom enjoying a distinct advantage over the fatigued champion. Bantom whips Cornell onto the front of the ambulance, before picking him up to powerbomb him on the hood, giving fans a little sample of what they can expect when these two clash at Ultimate Challenge.

Grade: C (65/100)

large.5967e71c1bdce_MarihitoMasuko_alt.jpg

Shiro Akuma is shown training in the gym. As the intensity peaks and his heart rate climbs, it looks like fatigue is taking his defenses down and whatever's been haunting him starts to creep back in. Pausing abruptly, Akuma drops to his knees and mutters something about "not losing control". The lights flicker and the place goes dark. A slow, guttural laugh is heard for a bit before a single, blood red light falls on a figure standing before a kneeled Akuma.

large.5975df52d5f99_EvilSpirit.jpg

"Oh but you will.... pretty soon, you will. If you want to become the #1 contender, hell, if you want to win the title... you must."

Grade: D (46/100)

large.58a01a52c79dd_ViperMcKenna.jpglarge.58886a1858892_HakonKristiansen.jpglarge.58a018acc38b3_AdamMatravers.jpglarge.CVFP_WhiteMale_092.jpg

Rock and Roll (Viper McKenna, Petter Eriksson, Adam Matravers & Robert Howard)

vs

large.58ca35d0585e8_JimmiAddams.jpglarge.58ca35e1ce609_KalvinAddams.jpglarge.593c109158072_LandonMallory.jpglarge.5967e7432494e_HerculesJohansson.jpg

Stars of the Show (The Addams Family, Landon Mallory & Hercules Johansson)

Unlike recent confrontations between the two groups, this is a 4 on 4 free for all meaning everyone is legal all the time. Mallory and Johansson pair up with Eriksson and Howard, their brawls quickly spilling out to the side of the ring, leaving the stage free for McKenna and Matravers to fight the Addams Family. While clearly the better wrestlers, they have zero experience working as a team and that allows the Addams Family to put up a decent fight thanks to cooperation and double team moves. Things go back and forth with no clear winner and suddenly the bell rings out of nowhere, signalling an early end due to programming issues. Air time is over and nobody's happy with the time limit draw, but they can't argue with it either. The episode ends with the announcers reminding everyone that these eight will meet again this Saturday at Ultimate Challenge.

Grade: D+ (49/100)

Show Grade: C- (56/100)

Ratings: 0.14 (105.000 viewers)

• Like 3