• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CombatMedic

Kenpo? kickboxing? Taekwondo?

Hi Everyone! 

A bit of advice, por favor. 

I am a little chubby and in need of stamina. I wouldn't mind some coordination and balance too! I am a hobbit sized nurse by real life trade, so my class would be firmly 'healer'. Now you'd think nurses don't need to be able to fight..well..you've never worked Dementia have you? One twisted arm (and a splint), and one butterknife between my shoulder blades were it not for a coworker later, and I'm thinking yes, yes I do need to be able to keep myself and my students and coworkers safe. 

So, in town I have the following options, in terms of martial arts/gym: Kenpo Karate, Kickboxing and Taekwondo. 

I know very little about any of these. 

I am some 30lb overweight, having lost 84 in the last 18 months (mainly by diet combined with work walking & archery - walking up and down a 30 or 40 yard range some 75 times in an evening adds up!) with the odd bout of skiing or other random activities thrown in. I am not afraid to try all sorts of things, but whereas the mind is willing the body is..well..uncoordinated. 

I am a clutz. Like, the walls and ceiling regularly attack me. I am out of shape. (I can run up about 3-4 flights of stairs no problem but hiking recently with a friend who I swear is part mountain goat? .... my stamina failed me) 

I plan on trying each of these classes out before making any final decisions but any words of wisdom you lovely ladies and gentlemen may have, I would appreciate. 

Thank you! 

Talanoth   

Any of them will help with your goals, I'd place greater priority in the teachers/community and the space itself than the specific style. Find where you feel most comfortable and as long as its close enough that the distance doesn't become a reason not to train, and that's probably the best option for you.

• Like 4

Teirin   
1 hour ago, Talanoth said:

Any of them will help with your goals, I'd place greater priority in the teachers/community and the space itself than the specific style. Find where you feel most comfortable and as long as its close enough that the distance doesn't become a reason not to train, and that's probably the best option for you.

Exactly this.  Find people you'll enjoy training with.  Any of them will help with your general coordination and That said, if you have the option to train sometime in some grappling, you ma find that helpful for your particular situation.  

15 hours ago, Talanoth said:

Thirded.  With the caveat that my girlfriend is also a hobbit sized nurse who does TKD, so I feel like I need to rep TKD for her.  Even though it's totally not *my* jam.

Wolfling   

The best style is the one you practice every day :-)  So, look around, shop, find the group you like and will enjoy training with, because if you don't enjoy it, you won't go. 

Having said that, based on what you have said, I would think you would be better off with a grappling class, Judo, Hapkido, Aikido, Bujinkan Ninjitsu, Jiu Jitsu (If you find a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class, make sure you spend time working while standing up!!),   etc, etc, (if they are available, I did read about what you said was in your area).  I say this because it sounds like it would be better for you to wrap someone up and immobilize them, rather than punching them in the nose.

Good luck, the martial arts can be a great way to walk the path :-)

• Like 1

Bighara   

I'm hardly the expert compared to our brethren here, but I agree that grappling (and escapes!) sound the most relevant. For the weight loss and fitness, any school or class that incorporates a fair bit of conditioning into the sessions will be an enormous help.

@otterbyte and I actually did a year of my school's "Fitness Kickboxing" class before switching over to "real" kickboxing (Muay Thai). It really helped to build stamina and general strength (as well as a good grounding in the basic techniques). Several of the MT students who have dropped in actually said the conditioning aspect of the fitness class is harder (fewer breaks for instruction).