• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wilkymouse

Krav Maga training while traveling

This is the place to ask Krav-related questions, right?

I'll be traveling for work in a couple of weeks, which means I'll be missing basically a week's work of Krav Maga classes.  The school shut down for a week around the 4th of July and I suffered when classes started again because I did nothing in that week.  I don't want to make that mistake again.  I plan to do some cardio and bodyweight stuff, but is there any way I can do Krav-specific training while away?  

Work is putting us up in a fancy place, but that doesn't guarantee the gym has much more than treadmills and weight machines.  I also can't pretend that the inevitable midnight swims with coworkers count as any sort of workout.

Any advice is appreciated!  Thank you!

Honestly, missing a week of classes isn't that big of a deal in the long run, assuming when you get back you start yourself back up like normal again. I've missed much, much longer for various reasons over the years, and the unifying feeling I've always gotten was being glad to get back on the mat when I could. 

If the lack of *movement* was bothering you rather than lack of mat time, then yea, BW and whatnot workouts should be fine. For Krav-specific things, you could do whatever your usual warmups or drills are, maybe a krav equivalent of shadow boxing, hell, just *thinking* about technique and body movement is helpful to keep your mind in it. Maybe if you're desperate for mat time see if there's a local Krav place that'll let you pay a mat fee. 

But seriously. Missing a week is nothing, even at the beginning. So don't worry about it.  

I would still call myself a newbie to Krav Maga, but isn't Krav one of those Martial Arts you can't really do without another individual? It doesn't really focus on action rather it focuses on reaction.

I remember asking my instructor about how I can train Krav at home and she informed me the best way is to focus on basic techniques(i.e. Palm strikes, punches, kicks) in order to retain familiarity of the movement, which in turn, will make you naturally faster at doing them. Otherwise working on improving your stamina, strength,and endurance becomes vital for being a better Krav Maga practitioner.