My prologue/backstory

Hi everyone! I recently joined the forums here and thought I'd introduce myself and share my backstory.

I'm a lifelong nerd/geek. I've seen the original SW trilogy hundreds of times. I love games of all kinds, sci-fi and fantasy lit, as well as a diversified offering of stories across genres. I particularly love adventure stories written by people like Verne and Tolkien. I have an insatiable intellectual curiosity that I try to feed with both book knowledge and experiences. I'm glad us nerds won the culture war.

If I could be a fictional character, I'd be Dr. Indiana Jones.

My childhood allergies and asthma often kept me indoors on otherwise beautiful days, and steroid treatments kept me pretty hefty even though I was strong for my age. I stayed as involved in sports as I could through baseball, soccer, wrestling, and swimming.

As the asthma got better, I became deeply involved in marching band and track. I went from a joke in the mile to one of the top mile competitors and dropped 65 lbs in the process. I was too skinny for the first time in my life, and ran all of my strength off.

Next I worked to become all-around fit. This served me well as part of my first job was coaching a middle and high school wrestling team. Those two years I was in the best physical shape of my life. I was strong, fast, and had lots of endurance.

I've had a major career change and a lot of education since then. Unfortunately, a year before my firstborn arrived I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. That put a dramatic halt on my physical routine as well as for a time I needed a cane to walk. Cutting edge treatments now allow me to be active and relatively normal, but I'm more focused on avoiding injuries (especially to that Achilles' tendon), increasing mobility, and keeping up my overall health.

Although I'm more conservative than I used to be, it's also forced me to be smarter and more practical. I don't care about max benches and other common comparisons as much as I care about how long I can carry a 2 and 4 year old.

I just finished a major event (2 days at Disney World and 2 at the space center) so I'm looking to change up my goals and routines for a while. I like the idea of leveling up, fun challenges, and thought this would be a good place for support outside of my family and friends.

Current goals:

-Complete the Alfredson Protocol (this will take me through September 1st)

-Lose 25 lbs while retaining as much muscle and performance as possible

-Continue working on French fluency

I train with body weight, sandbags, and smaller humans. I haven't been to a traditional gym in almost 8 years. I chose the Adventurer class because functional strength, exploring the outdoors, and traveling are the end goal of whatever training I want to do.

• Like 4

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Welcome!

That's quite a backstory. It's great that you're able to be active again. Functional strength (and mobility) is definitely practical.

I do a lot of bodyweight stuff and spending time outdoors myself. The closest thing to a traditional gym I've been to was my high school weight room years ago. (I actually do most of my exercising outdoors now.) 

Feel free to jump in on the four week challenges. We're halfway through one, but you're more than welcome to join the Rebels guild. Or if you want to wait for the next challenge, you can still drop by the juice bar thread, say hi, and hangout until then.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness, Sciread! 

It sounds like you've got some great goals already picked out, but let us know if you need any help with any of them. We're happy to offer encouragement, advice, or just listen any time. 

As Zeroh said, feel free to pop on over to the Rebel Guild for your first 4 Week Challenge, or just hang out with us this time around! There's also the Battle Logs for uninterrupted progress reports, several threads specific to different kinds of training and life goals, and the character creator here. Let us know if you have any questions about the forums or anything else, and we'll be happy to help!

• Like 1
Welcome!

That's quite a backstory. It's great that you're able to be active again. Functional strength (and mobility) is definitely practical.

I do a lot of bodyweight stuff and spending time outdoors myself. The closest thing to a traditional gym I've been to was my high school weight room years ago. (I actually do most of my exercising outdoors now.) 

Feel free to jump in on the four week challenges. We're halfway through one, but you're more than welcome to join the Rebels guild. Or if you want to wait for the next challenge, you can still drop by the juice bar thread, say hi, and hangout until then.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Hey there! I like the way you write, you seem quite gifted with it!

Welcome to our little community here, I hope you like what you've seen so far and I hope we'll see a lot more of you in the future :) The leveling-up and class features are what really drew me to this website, too. It's hard to shake off love for the RPG genre. 

The only thing I can add that haven't already been said: Remember to get your protein in to help your muscles! Very important part of the process if you are cutting fat while trying to preserve lean mass.

I wish you best of luck in your journey, see you around!

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

My Introduction!

Character Page

I'm so happy you've included goals other than fitness. It's important to share everything you're trying to do to improve your life. French seems like a good language to learn. I, myself, am working on Spanish, though passively. 

Right now it is all about fitness and League of Legends for me...

Anywho, welcome to the forums!

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments! Being the type of nerd I am means I like to develop more than one area at once (but not so many at once that I lack focus). My character profile goes more into my goals, but we're learning French as a family so part of my goal involves teaching the kids too. And with a 2 small kids here and another baby on the way, I am necessarily working on my Move Silently skill too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spoiler