Hey all

So after a fair amount of lurking the forum I've decided to try and keep up a log. So, I'm 31. Weigh 106kg and am looking to drop fat while maintaining (building if I'm extremely lucky) muscle. I have no idea of bodyfat % but I'll see how I go with posting and may throw up some progress shots. I'm sure someone will have a much better idea than I do.

The backstory is I haven't lifted for 5-6 years, but when I did I was damn strong. Unless anyone is curious I don't think the numbers are that important, and besides that, they just make me sad to look at now.

Current Program:

5/3/1 BBB

Current Lifts (Haven't truly tested my 1RM):
Squat: 95kg 130kg 135kg

Deadlift: 110kg 140kg 150kg
Bench: 75kg 95kg

OH Press: 55kg 62.5kg 65kg

Diet (As of 18/9/17)

Ketogenic

2000-2200cals

< 50g Carbs a day 

Goals:

Drop 10kg by end of the year (ish. This can happen much sooner, or on the date. First goal is to weigh less than 100kg

Feel free to drop a line and let me know what I'm doing wrong, or suggestions and such.  I'm going to try and get in all my workouts and the odd random thought, rant about whatever I'm watching on TV, meme. We'll see how things go.

19/7 DEADLIFTIN'

Cycle 1

Week 1

Warm up 1x5 40kg, 1x5 50, 1x5 60
Main: 1x5 64, 1x5 75, 1x10 85 (Could of got more but the last set killed my hands. I broke my hand for the 50th time last year and it doesn't feel the same anymore).

BBB: This absolutely destroyed me. It's the next day as I type this and I'm still exhausted.
5x10 50kg

Accessory Lifts:
T-Bar Row: 5x10 Probably 50kg... No idea how heavy the bar is and the plates aren't marked with weights. They felt like 10kg each though...
Yates Row: 5x5 50kg
Pullups: Tried, but failed... I got 1.5 and that might be generous.

Cardio:

1km run in 5:15ish

1KM row in 4:45
HIIT battling ropes. NOPE! Couldn't even look at them tonight. I'll try again next session.

This is my first time deadlifting for years... I have been doing 5x5 and there isn't enough deadlifting to consider it real so this felt amazing. Deadlift has always been my absolute favoruite lift so it was nice to complete all my sets and to still be walking today.

Cycle 1 Week 1
Shoulders!

Scaled back the workout because while still getting used to the extra volume. Other thing I learnt from this session is that I can't oly lift to save my life. Anyone know of a way to get some more flexibility in to my wrists? I am unable to position the bar. At all.

OHP

Warm up:
1x5 20kg
1x5 25kg

1x3 25kg

Main:
1x5 30kg

1x5 35kg

1x11 40kg (Just scrapped the last 2 reps. Honestly form broke down a bit, the last was definitely more a push press than a strict OHP

BBB

3x10 25kg (I wanted to get in 2 more sets but I almost dropped the bar on my face on my last rep and decided to move on. I was in the gym alone and decided to not kill myself where no one will find me for up to 24hours).

Accessories:
EZ Bar curls:
3x10 30kg

DB Lateral raises
3x10 10kg

Power Cleans

Bunch of singles at 40kg (I didn't have much of an issue with the set up and the first part of the lift, but getting under the bar in position with my wrists, and elbows high was putting a lot of strain on me. It just was not comfortable. I need to work on it).

Beer curls. 2

No cardio tonight. There was a huge storm coming in and I live an hour from the gym. I work out in a small gym at work, so the 60 odd km drive home in shit weather. Yeah I decided to get out of there.

So thats the end  of week 1. I won't be back in the gym until Monday night. My schedule should be Monday, Tuesday, rest, Thursday, Friday, rest, rest from here on out though, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to the volume stuff a little more strict then I did this week. Monday is legs!

i struggled with power cleans for quite some time due to the wrist issues as well. interestingly, I got much better at them once i started doing front squats with the clean grip (at the bottom u are also in the receiving position for the clean).

I try to get in practice on the power cleans when I do OHP as well. Unless your lifts are way out of whack you should have no issue cleaning what you can OHP for x5. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

That's a good suggestion. Time under tension fixes all, and all that. I'll have to incorporate a small amount into my leg day. I asked a mate who does a lot of oly lifting and he's going to give me some wrist mobility work to do. Once I have it I'll post it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cycle 1 Week 2

Monday night! LEGS! Oh my god I can't walk!

Warm up:
1x5 35kg      1x5 45kg      1x3 55kg

Main:

1x3 65kg      1x3 70kg     1x5 80kg (Did a couple extra reps because my phone app said it would be a PR. I did this way easier than I expected. It was almost too easy.)

BBB:

5x10 45kg

Accessories:

Front Squat: 3x10 with the bar. I have literally never been more fatigued in my entire life. I was lurking through Alan Thralls youtube channel and saw him raving about nothing puts on size and strength like front squats. I now believe. Though still having issues with wrists. After the first set I changed to "bodybuilding front squats" with my arms crossed. I'll get there eventually.

BB Lunges:

3x10 20kg each foot. Almost threw up...

BB Calf Raises 40kg (Couldn't stand anymore weight on my back at this point so kept them light and ground them out in my shitty work gym.

Cardio:

10 minute light row

10 minute walk

So I'm sitting at work at the moment thinking that this session was asctually a lot easier than it looks now I've written it out. I can literally feel every muscle in my legs and arse but I did this way easier than I should of. Starting to think I under estimasted my 1RMs when I started this program. It's only the second week but if everyday is like this I may just start to progress again.

One thing I know for sure. I'm going to cry trying to get on and off the throne later today...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Loyster said:

I workout at work. It's an old manufacturing plant environment and everything outside the admin offices looks like a set for the walking dead

Man. I don't even play paintball but that sounds like the ideal activity for any kind of employee appreciation day. Maybe limited ammo for the human team and touch kills/conversions for the zombie team??

Level 38 [TBD]

Cycle 1 Week 2

Benchin'

Warm up:

1x5 25kg 1x5 30kg 1x3 40kg

Main:

1x3 45kg 1x3 50kg 1x15 55kg (Way too easy. I really screwed up my 1RMs when I started this)

BBB:

5x10 30kg

Accessories:

DB Incline Bench: 1x10 20kg 1x10 25kg 1x10 30kg (Last one almost killed me but i ground it out...)

Close Grip Bench: 3x10 30kg

Cardio:

1km run 5:19

5min Rowing machine

HIIT Battling ropes

I was not feeling when I got to the bottom of the stairs but I had my preworkout so basically I have to workout otherwise I twitch, itch, and think I'm going to have a heart attack the whole hour it takes to drive home. Ended up being a really solid workout though. I'm a little worried about the estimated 1rms though. I guess it would be worse if I over estimated. After this cycle I think I'll do a proper test and get my 1rms exact. anyone had experience with this?

Really enjoying this so far though.

Now to foam roll and go to bed!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Loyster said:

After this cycle I think I'll do a proper test and get my 1rms exact. anyone had experience with this?

Any chance you wanna test 1rm's by 7/30 to take part in the virtual competition? It can be great progress notes to peg your starting numbers with this competition, then compare your gains in four months as the next competition comes around.

Level 38 [TBD]

5 hours ago, Laghail said:

Any chance you wanna test 1rm's by 7/30 to take part in the virtual competition? It can be great progress notes to peg your starting numbers with this competition, then compare your gains in four months as the next competition comes around.

This sounds awesome... If I am able to before Friday I will but I may have to wait until the next challenge. The DOMS. They are worse than they've been since the very first time I ever saw a barbell haha

• Like 1

Rest day!

Ramen restaurant with the misses, and more than likely continuing to binge watch supernatural, american gods, and Game of thrones!

What I need to do is to start twice daily static stretching but until then I've been foam rolling twice a day since Sunday for some prehab, and rehab in preperation for this week and I don't remember a time I've ever been so sore. The DOMS have been incredible. The Barbell lunges, and the front squats have absolutely destroyed me. Brodin grant me the gainz! Otherwise take me to Valhalla!

• Like 1

Cycle 1 Week 2

Deadlifting!

Warm up:

1x5 40kg 1x5 50kg 1x3 60kg

Main Lifts:

1x3 70kg 1x3 80kg 1x8 90kg (This was easy. I've definitely underestimated how strong I am)

BBB

3x10 50kg (Couldn't get the last 2 sets out. My grip kept failing)

Accessories:

T-Bar Row: 3x10 60kg

Yates Row: 3x10 50kg

Cardio:

1km run: 5:16

My grip was absolutely fried and my forearms hurt a little because of this session but all in all it was really solid. I'm really looking forward to testing my 1rms next week,

13 hours ago, Loyster said:

So apparently my cut has become a bulk?

Since I've started 5/3/1 I can't stop eating. No matter what I do I am never full. I honestly have absolutely zero willpower or self control...

Im the last guy to be a food nazi, but any idea what the macro breakdown is like? ^ appetite when you start lifting is super normal though. 

7 hours ago, Loyster said:

Cycle 1 Week 2

Deadlifting!

Warm up:

1x5 40kg 1x5 50kg 1x3 60kg

Main Lifts:

1x3 70kg 1x3 80kg 1x8 90kg (This was easy. I've definitely underestimated how strong I am)

BBB

3x10 50kg (Couldn't get the last 2 sets out. My grip kept failing)

Accessories:

T-Bar Row: 3x10 60kg

Yates Row: 3x10 50kg

Cardio:

1km run: 5:16

My grip was absolutely fried and my forearms hurt a little because of this session but all in all it was really solid. I'm really looking forward to testing my 1rms next week,

Do you do the same lift for the daily 531 main lift and BBB? I did last time I ran BBB, but wendler actually suggests mixing it up. I like that because it lets grip get heavily worked two days a week (dl main day and dl bbb day), and puts heavy squat days in twice a week.  I was thinking when I resume bbb next month I might just cross squat/deadlift for main/bbb and keep bench on its own since I only ohp as an accessory lift. 

Level 38 [TBD]

4 hours ago, Laghail said:

Im the last guy to be a food nazi, but any idea what the macro breakdown is like? ^ appetite when you start lifting is super normal though. 

Do you do the same lift for the daily 531 main lift and BBB? I did last time I ran BBB, but wendler actually suggests mixing it up. I like that because it lets grip get heavily worked two days a week (dl main day and dl bbb day), and puts heavy squat days in twice a week.  I was thinking when I resume bbb next month I might just cross squat/deadlift for main/bbb and keep bench on its own since I only ohp as an accessory lift. 

I think my macros are alright. Before I started I worked out that I needed around 2500cals for my weight. I'm 106kg (235pounds? I'm bad at math) at the moment.

My split should be around 40/40/20. I'm probably eating closer to 3000 though at the moment.

I love my carbs. I refuse to give them up haha

I am at the moment, but funny you ask that because I was thinking about mixing it up on my 1rm days. Extra accessory work instead of smashing the compounds when I've already exhausted myself. To be honest all my 5/3/1 knowledge has come from forums where people paraphrase. I should probably buy the book and give it a proper read to make sure I'm not doing anything silly, or unnecessary.

6 hours ago, Loyster said:

I think my macros are alright. Before I started I worked out that I needed around 2500cals for my weight. I'm 106kg (235pounds? I'm bad at math) at the moment.

My split should be around 40/40/20. I'm probably eating closer to 3000 though at the moment.

I love my carbs. I refuse to give them up haha

I am at the moment, but funny you ask that because I was thinking about mixing it up on my 1rm days. Extra accessory work instead of smashing the compounds when I've already exhausted myself. To be honest all my 5/3/1 knowledge has come from forums where people paraphrase. I should probably buy the book and give it a proper read to make sure I'm not doing anything silly, or unnecessary.

Eh, just pm me your email, I'll lend you my Amazon e-copy. Not that I care, but it's not even piracy!

Level 38 [TBD]