7 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

laghail, once again beating me to finding out the new warriors >_>

Thanks for stopping by! :) 

So I've woken up with my wrist killing me. I suspect it's from teaching myself cleans last night, and from having the clean and jerk the weights on to my back for my leg day lunges. My poor wrists just weren't able to keep up with me trying to kill myself. Being an IT nerd I spend all freaking a day in front of my computer near constantly clicking and typing with my right hand, so this is annoying as f.

As much as no gym is going to drive me nuts, I guess I need it. So much for sneaking a kettlebell on to the plane with me haha

BBB: 5 set of 10 beer curls tomorrow at the airport. I HATE airports. If hell turns out to be real it'll be Auckland airport. The city of Auckland in general. Ugh.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Laghail said:

noooo, don't go to the oly side of the force! That way lies explosive movement training and masturbation jokes!

I thought that was strongman training... Grip strength yo!

In all seriousness I was thinking of incorporating cleans or power cleans at the least in to my routine and when I felt comfortable with them I was going to come up with a barbell complex for conditioning. That way I never have to get back on that damn evil treadmill or stationary bike! Also saves my legs so I can go mountain biking every single weekend when summer comes around!

One of the joys of NZ is Rotorua

Basically this

http://imgur.com/gallery/GseGL59

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Loyster said:

I thought that was strongman training... Grip strength yo!

In all seriousness I was thinking of incorporating cleans or power cleans at the least in to my routine and when I felt comfortable with them I was going to come up with a barbell complex for conditioning. That way I never have to get back on that damn evil treadmill or stationary bike!

You definitely don't have to use the treadmill or stationary bike to get in conditioning! you can do all sorts of walks/carries movements with the KBs. And then also other bodyweight complexes, or other lightweight work with higher reps. Almost no one in my powerlifting group does regular cardio for conditioning. Stay clear of the dreadmill. ;) 

I myself like to save my cardio for light hiking on the weekend and just do stuff like sled pulls and farmers carries in the gym. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

15 hours ago, Loyster said:

In all seriousness I was thinking of incorporating cleans or power cleans at the least in to my routine and when I felt comfortable with them I was going to come up with a barbell complex for conditioning. That way I never have to get back on that damn evil treadmill or stationary bike! Also saves my legs so I can go mountain biking every single weekend when summer comes around!

One of the joys of NZ is Rotorua

Basically this

http://imgur.com/gallery/GseGL59

Yeah, I'm actually doing the same with the complexes, and short track sprints, fuck that treadmill. My wrist mobility isn't awesome right now so I'm sticking with front squats and low rep cleans while my elbow incrementally tracks higher over the weeks. Also, fuck barbell snatches, not until I'm at a different gym. I think I gotsta play with some DB snatches this month though. Looks safer for a newb and it'll help with R-L balance.

Damn, how often do you get down to Rotorua?

Level 38 [TBD]

@Taddea Zhaan @Laghail I can't work out multiple quotes on my phone. I'd love a sled and some strongman stuff but a treadmill and a barbell are all I have. Carries are complicated too because of the state of the 80 year old earthquake shoo building we're in. 

Oh dumbbell snatches! Never thought of that!

It might be sick but I'd love a yoke!

Try to get across at least once a month. Haven't been in ages but it's pretty much rained the entire winter. If it wasn't for the sulfur smell and the locals I'd live there

16 hours ago, Loyster said:

@Taddea Zhaan @Laghail I can't work out multiple quotes on my phone. I'd love a sled and some strongman stuff but a treadmill and a barbell are all I have. Carries are complicated too because of the state of the 80 year old earthquake shoo building we're in. 

Oh dumbbell snatches! Never thought of that!

It might be sick but I'd love a yoke!

Try to get across at least once a month. Haven't been in ages but it's pretty much rained the entire winter. If it wasn't for the sulfur smell and the locals I'd live there

I do my carries with kettlebells but a lot of people do them with dumbbells. There are farmers carries, suitcase carries (one arm, works your obliques, grip, and cardio), and waiter carries (one arm up in the air) etc. The variations are endless. 

Pulleys are also great for getting in some non-machine cardio. I had a brief trainer who had me doing stuff like a squat with one arm row with a pulley. But there are infinite pulley exercises that are great for cardio. 

You totally got this. I know you'll come up with a good list of conditioning exercises. 

37 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I mean, there's always the @Br0din classic wrist conditioning routine. The only catch is you need to keep a bottle of baby oil handy. 

Image result for hey mad

19 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Don't listen to him, he's an antagonist. 

Yeah he is.  As a fellow IT professional with a strong right wrist...  Wrist mobility is very important.  I stretch them everyday doing stuff like this.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

So I'm back, but not in the gym. While I was in Sydney there were some big bush burn offs done by the rural fire services and they coated the entire bloody city in thick smoke. I am now on my death bed (not really). The plan is to have all of the pseudoephedrine and ventolin until Sunday night and see how I feel. Back in the gym on Monday!

I'm back at work at the moment, and I'm going to be basically dead to the world until the moment i can't hear myself breathe, and when I'm able to breathe out of my nose again. I'll try to catch up on some logs and probably troll everyone soon.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:26 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I do my carries with kettlebells but a lot of people do them with dumbbells. There are farmers carries, suitcase carries (one arm, works your obliques, grip, and cardio), and waiter carries (one arm up in the air) etc. The variations are endless. 

This is awesome! The one thing my gym does have is heavy as kettlebells. It also has an uneven floor but after seeing the mini challenge I'm determined to work something out and give it a go now.

I'd kill for a yoke, or hex bar though.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:55 AM, Laghail said:

I mean, there's always the @Br0din classic wrist conditioning routine. The only catch is you need to keep a bottle of baby oil handy. 

the baby oil is always handy!

On 8/12/2017 at 3:37 AM, Br0din said:

Yeah he is.  As a fellow IT professional with a strong right wrist...  Wrist mobility is very important.  I stretch them everyday doing stuff like this.

These are awesome. Thanks! I'm going to need to start doing it every day instead of 5 minutes before I've randomly decided to do front squats or cleans though probably...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/16/2017 at 4:25 PM, Loyster said:

So I'm back, but not in the gym. While I was in Sydney there were some big bush burn offs done by the rural fire services and they coated the entire bloody city in thick smoke. I am now on my death bed (not really). The plan is to have all of the pseudoephedrine and ventolin until Sunday night and see how I feel. Back in the gym on Monday!

I'm back at work at the moment, and I'm going to be basically dead to the world until the moment i can't hear myself breathe, and when I'm able to breathe out of my nose again. I'll try to catch up on some logs and probably troll everyone soon.

How's it going at this point? That sounds like it was pretty brutal. Pretty sure breathing in brush burn is not good for ya. 

How's it going at this point? That sounds like it was pretty brutal. Pretty sure breathing in brush burn is not good for ya. 
Alright now. To be honest I'm probably 70% back to myself. The good news is ill be back slogging it out in the gym on Monday night so I'm surprisingly pumped up. The better half has a couple of kettle bells so a bit later I'm going to throw them around just to do something active.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

On 8/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, Loyster said:

Geez, that sounds miserable. More incentive to not run for a minute?

Level 38 [TBD]

On 8/20/2017 at 5:53 AM, Laghail said:

Geez, that sounds miserable. More incentive to not run for a minute?

Going to keep running for the moment. Everytime I stop my knees explode. Stupid dad passing down his shitty knees to me. I'm definitely putting him in a dodgy home in the next few years!

So I was organising my gym bag and my work bag this morning and for the first time realised just how ridiculous my life is getting. when eating nothing but junk food there is nothing to take to work, and sometimes I don't think about food at all.

I have a ton of food in my backpack in and around a cooler bag. Pasta, almonds,  bagel, some peanut butter, tin of tuna, protein powder, and a preworkout in another smaller shaker, and god knows what else is in there. Pretty sure I have a banana too. My bag is actually over full and almost can't be closed. I considered putting my laptop in my gym bag to fit more food.

For the first time in a long time I feel like I'm losing weight at a slow but steady pace and at the same time putting on muscle. I am not seeing much in the scales, but there is noticable change Yay me!?

• Like 1

21/8 

C2:W1

Well tonight fucking sucked! I was on my second warm up set of squats when my left knee screamed with sudden pain. That ended that.

The pain hit while I was at the bottom of my squat, 'in the hole'. I'm not sure if it was my form, or if there was anything else that caused it was not what i needed tonight.

OK! No point crying about it.

Bench:

Warm up:

1x5 25kg

1x5 35kg

1x3 40kg

Main:

1x5 40kg

1x5 50kg

1x13 55kg

BBB:

5x10 35kg

Accessories:

DB Incline bench: 3x10 25 27.5 30kg

Close grip bench: 3x10 35kg

Rope pulldown: a lot.

Dips: BW 3x10

Cardio:

1km rum - 6 odd minutes

Tabata Battling rope. I want to die.

Disappointing. 

Box squats are a great exercise too. I do it time to time for the heck of it. 

Careful with the knee though - as a currently acl-deficient person I can tell you it sucks some. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

8 minutes ago, godjira1 said:

currently acl-deficient person

I knew there was someone who stopped by who had knee issues! Your opinion please good sir!?

So the more I think about it, the more I think I've completely stopped breaking at the hips with my squats. I don't have video evidence but it feels like I'm all knees. I've done a few at my desk at work today just to test discomfort and when I'm being mindful of proper form everything is perfect. I'm going to give it a go again tonight and take things nice and slow.

So I've never done box squats before. Do you slow and try to stop before all your weight hits the bench, or do you sit all the way down then explode up from there?

1) re knees, to clarify I didn't injure my acl lifting. It was doing judo while nursing a slight ankle strain (on hindsight extremely idiotic). 

2) box squats - practice the breaking at hips first movement. I tried videoing the difference and what it does is that your shin angle stays a lot more vertical. This is the correct way. With box squats u will be forced to crease at hips first just to reach the box. 

3) i have done box squats from a dead stop or a bounce and go. Dead stop is quite a bit harder. I don't think it makes much difference to knee flexion. 

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)