28/7

Cycle 1 Week 2

Shoulders! 

Warm up:

1x5 20kg 2x5 25kg

Main:

1x3 30kg 1x3 35kg 1x6 40kg (This is the one lift I've been struggling on. The burn in my shoulders is crazy! I tried extremely hard to make sure that every single lift was strict. If there was a lift that used any legs whatsoever, I did it again, or stopped the set and didn't count it. This isn't a bad effort though I think. 55kg should be my max, but I'm going to go for 57.5 at a minimum next week to really push myself.

BBB:

5x10 25kg This felt good. Definitely got a very nice pump for the rest of the night

Accessories:

DB Lateral raises: 3x10 15kg (This was extremely hard. Just wow!)

EZ Bar curls: 3x10 20kg 25kg 30kg

DB Curls: 15kg 10kg 8kg 4kg (Last set until failure which was an almost embarrassing 10 reps haha)

So I didn't do any cardio. It was Friday night and I was alone in the gym. Just didn't have it in me for the 30minute run for the week and battling ropes, especially after the shoulder work.

Next week is 1RM week.I know this isn't exactly true. I need to just make my 90% sets but depending on how well that goes and availability of spotters I'm going to throw some extra on the bar and see how I go. I'll be recording any singles I do so I may post them up for some form checking and bragging depending on how I do.

• Like 1

31/7

Cycle 1 Week 3

Squat day

Warm up

1x5 35kg 1x5 45kg 1x3 55kg

Main

1x5 70kg

1x3 75kg

1x2 85kg

1x1 100kg

1x1 105kg

1x2 105kg ( I attempted 110 and failed. Threw the bloody thing off my back and got the shits so I set back up and tried 105 again. First one was easy, so did another. Still easy, but I couldn't breathe. I have decided I don't know how to breathe.)

Accessories:

Front squat 3x10 50kg

BB Lunge: 3x10 40kg

Leg Curl: So many. AMAP 5 sets at whatever 8 mains.

Now to watch game of thrones, have a beer, eat some chicken and pass out.

• Like 1

1/8 C1:W3

BENCH!

So this was a big one! I'm absolutely pumped!

Warm up:

1x5 25kg

1x5 30kg

1x3 40kg

Main:

1x5 45kg

1x3 55kg

1x10 60kg (Dead easy)

1x3 65kg

1x2 70kg (Still easy. Lets step this shit up!)

1x2 80kg (Holy crap! Too much! Too much!)

1x1 85kg (Not too bad. Arms wobbly but I locked out without too much effort. I thought it was a wicked grind until I saw the video and saw how quickly it flew up. I think I could of done more but I was pretty burnt out by this point).

BBB:

5x10 40kg (Worked on my form the whole time. Bar path and elbows. Really took these slowly to make sure I had it perfect. I didn't get any videos of this because they would of been YUGE. I'll have to next time though just for brogress).

Accessories:

DB Incline: 3x10 17.5 20 22.5kg

Close grip bench: 3x10 40kg

Bloody good workout. So I love squats. My favourite lift but my bench is dangerously close to it. I have some work to do. Maybe I'll just bro bodybuild. 4 nights a week chest and biceps!

7 hours ago, Laghail said:

Well done on the bench pr, 4x a week chest day? Sounds about right and I can't see a downside. 

Thanks! I am feeling it this morning, but I'm still super pumped that I did it. I feel like I'm speeding through the progress at the moment and I'm not sure if it's noob gains, or just muscle memory (If thats really a thing) from previous gym rat status. I guess it doesn't matter, I'm having fun!

I knew someone would agree with the brogram.

My new program:

M - Chest + Bi
T - Back + Arms
W - Chest + Tri  
T - Shoulders + abs
F - Night club
S - Night Club
S - Self pity day

• Like 1

2/8

C1:W3 Deadlift!

I'm going to preface this log by saying I think I'm broken. I didn't hurt myself in an injury way, but I've never been so exhausted in my entire life. It's not even DOMS at this point. It's just everytime I sit down, I feel like taking a nap haha

Warm up:

1x5 40kg 1x5 50kg 1x3 60kg

Main:
1x5 75kg

1x3 85kg

1x1 95kg (Didn't want to push it because I'm working to failure from here out)

1x1 110kg

1x1 120kg

1x1 130kg

1x1 135kg

1x0 140kg NOPE! Funny what 5kg makes when you're exhausted. I couldn't make this budge from the floor. I was planning on getting videos of the heavy lifts but the gym was strangely packed last night and I ended up with a skinny, hugely impressed crowd around me cheering me on so I felt kind of weirded out as it was. I'm an introvert. It's hard enough actually being honest here let alone face to face socially. I don't do people very well. 

In saying that, it's kinda cool watching how strong this guy is getting, and how quickly it's happening. newbie gains are a weird and wonderful thing to behold!

BBB:

3x10 60kg (Felt good, but I couldn't make it to 5 sets. I'm not so worried about this to be honest. I'm only doing bbb to get extra volume, on nights like this when I'm definitely feeling it I could probably skip it altogether.

Accessories:

Lat pulldown: A lot. 5 sets at various no idea what they mean weights. 60 80 100 110 60

Bent over row: 3x10 50kg

TBar Row: 2x10 - Awkward and exhausted and gave up. oops!

So I haven't done any form of cardio and I've been feeling guilty so I Forrest Gumped it. Just started running. 4km was easy, but then i started struggling. got to over 30 minutes and passed out on the floor for something like 10 minutes before going home. 

I can't gym on Friday, so I'm going to go tonight instead of taking a day off. Over head press night, so should be ok but I think I'm just going to do the warm up and working sets and get out of there. no BBB

The next two weeks are going to be patchy from me because I'm heading back to Australia for a few days to see friends and family but I'll try to get some workouts in even if I just go for a run when I'm finally sick of the family.

Edit: Bent rows were 50kg not 5 kg

• Like 1

Deadlifts are extremely taxing on the CNS. I would often be struggling to stay awake for the rest of the day once I get into the >90pct intensity area. Good show but until you get to 2 x bodyweight DL I would skip all accessories on DL days. 

Joker sets are so addictive I know. 

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

17 hours ago, Loyster said:

I was planning on getting videos of the heavy lifts but the gym was strangely packed last night and I ended up with a skinny, hugely impressed crowd around me cheering me on so I felt kind of weirded out as it was. I'm an introvert. It's hard enough actually being honest here let alone face to face socially. I don't do people very well. 

In saying that, it's kinda cool watching how strong this guy is getting, and how quickly it's happening. newbie gains are a weird and wonderful thing to behold!

I feel like this was our high-school vision of what being popular would look like. At what point to the cheer leaders start chanting your name and your divorced parents get back together?

• Like 1

Level 38 [TBD]

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

I feel like this was our high-school vision of what being popular would look like. At what point to the cheer leaders start chanting your name and your divorced parents get back together?

Coffee just came out of my nose laughing dammit! American popular (I'm assuming) is really different to Australian popular. Long as you liked to fight, and could get beer you were pretty popular here. For the record, I could do neither haha

It was the weirdest night in the gym.

Overhead press incoming after coffee 2 

• Like 1

C1:W3

Overhead Press

Warm up:

1x5 20kg 1x5 25kg 1x3 25kg

Main:

1x5 35kg

1x3 40kg

1x4 45kg

1x2 55kg

1x0 60 Noooooooooooope

1x0 57.5 Noooooooooooope

BBB:

5x10 25kg (Focused on form. Last set I felt something in my neck though, so I'm pretty stiff and robotic this morning. Not too bad though, just needs a couple days before i try and put anything over my head again. Shit happens!

Accessories:

BRO'ED OUT

All of the different arm exercises.

BB Curls 3x10 15/20/25

Cable curls 3x10 whatever 20 means on the machine

DB Hammer curls 3x10 10//12.5/15/8 until failure. got like 20

I was going to go for a run but I decided to go home and pass out instead

Napped on the lounge in sets of 5x5

• Like 1

Wow. Website changed over the weekend. I dig it.

This week may be a little different. I'm obsessed enough with what I'm doing to not want to miss a work out at any cost, but I don't know that I have enough time to do them either. I'm going to double up and do a work out morning and night so I'm thinking Wednesday I'll do overhead press in the morning and deadlift in the evening and then I'm off to Sydney for a catchup with family and friends

Deload week, so everything will be nice and light. I'll keep BBB at the weights specified, if not lower them aswell.

On a ramdom note the misses had a holy shit reaction to me this weekend, and apparently the last 4 months, and especialy the last 3 weeks has made a noticable change to how i look. Celebrated by trying on some nerd shirts that got too small for me. Star wars one, and a batman and nightwing shirt. All fit without it looking like they're all gut! They're now officially in the gym shirt rotation. My normal ones are getting a little ripped and ragged. Between the gym, fixing cars (Haven't actually done this for a long time), and my house panther randomly attacking me when he's bored tshirts don't last very long in my house.

• Like 1

7/8

C1:W4

Warm up:

1x5 35kg 1x5 45kg 1x3 55kg

Main:

1x5  35kg

1x5 45kg

1x5 55kg

BBB: 5x10 37.5kg

Accessories:

Calf raises: 3x10 50kg

Leg curls: 3x10 Basically worked up to maxing this out and then did an extra set on 10 until failure. Freaking fried

BB Lunges: 3x10 45kg

I was feeling fine until the lunges. Almost threw up out a window

54 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Those eyes are terrifying, I assume you got him as part of a drop bear security system? Actually, do you get those in new zealand? I looked up NZ cryptids and you people have a short and boring list, is peter jackson to blame?

As an Aussie, I appreciate the mention of drop bears! One time a hobbit tried to ride my cat (Promo) in to battle against some Orcs. That was a strange day! So I just googled New Zealand cryptozoology. Kind of wish I didn't now. Kinda boring by comparison to Australian. I'm bias but I do enjoy Australian Aboriginal mythology. Bunyips for example are pretty cool!

So fitness related. I have 2 scoops of preworkout for today, otherwise I'm likely to just go home and sleep. I'm pretty sure I still have some CNS fatigue that I'm still slowly recovering from. I'm the sort of guy that never gets sick. I get the flu once every few years and it almost kills me. The rest of the time I'm fine unless it's Asthma related (Fuck New Zealand! Haven't had Asthma in 7 years then I moved here!)

Anyway, point is the max week really destroyed me. I thought CNS fatigue was bullshit until this week. Spent all weekend crook as, and still not 100%. It's likely I'll be having next week off. Spending some time with the friends and family I haven't seen in 6 months is going to get priority.

• Like 1

C1:W4

Bench:

Warm up:

1x5 25kg

1x5 30kg

1x3 40kg

Main:

1x5 25kg

1x5 30kg

1x5 40kg

BBB:

5x10 30kg

Accessories:

DB Incline: 3x10 20 25 25kg

Close grip Bench: 3x10 30kg

Dips: 3x10 BW

Rope pulldowns: 3x10 A lot with a drop set

Cardio:

2km run 11minutes

Good session. 

• Like 1

This may of just changed the game for me. I can't do pullups to save myself, but he goes through some approaches and technique. Nothing that isn't obvious just presented well.

Going to give it a go and add x amount of pullups every time I'm in the gym and add pullups to my deadlift day. Starting tonight! Maybe...

NOT TODAY BEAR!

9/8

C1:W4 Deadlift

Today I did two workouts. Morning and night. I am off for the next week and a bit, so I decided in true gym rat fashion to not skip a workout! What happened to me?

AM:

Warm up:

1x5 40kg

1x5 50kg

1x3 60kg

Main:

1x5 40kg

1x5 50kg

1x5 60kg

BBB(ish)

3x10 50kg

Accessories:

20 pullups. Basically all singles. Negatives from a box. Unable to do even a single full pullup. Hopefully this'll improve over the next month. Get rid of some dough from the middle and I suspect it'll get way easier.

9/8

C1:W4 Overhead Press

PM:

Warm up:

1x5 20kg

1x5 25kg

1x3 25kg

Main:

1x5 20kg

1x5 25kg

1x5 25kg

BBB:

3x10 25kg

Accessories:

Hammer curls: Heavy to light 3x10 20/15/10

Bicep curls (Strict): Heavy to light 3x10 10/8/4

EZ Bar curls: 20/25/27.5kg

By this point my arms were fried so i decided I'd done enough and went home.

Edit: OK. I didn't want to create yet another post so I'm editing this one with some thoughts. Because I'm using the five3one app for android on my phone it means i can sneak peak my next lifts. They look heavy but I have been scrolling back and seeing that I thought similar weights at similar reps were easy so I think I'm pretty pumped up for this. Interesting thing is I can see this is very much a mental game for me. Once I didn't mind trying to throw 200 on the bar for no reason but to see how it felt on my shoulders (Like death) but lately I've been nervous of triple digits? Why? I'm not sure why I'm feeling like this but I'm just going to take the next cycle a rep at a time and see where I end up.

ANYWAY! That's the first cycle of 5/3/1 done and dusted. I fucking love this program!

OLD 1 REP MAX:

Squat: 95kg

Deadlift: 110kg
Bench: 75kg

OH Press: 55kg

NEW 1 REP MAX ACCORDING TO APP:

Squat: 112kg

Deadlift: 135kg
Bench: 85kg

OH Press: 59kg