Total NOOB. To fitness and to forums

Hello all,

My name is Rosie and I'm 33.  I live in Florida.  Growing up, I was always pretty thin, but looking back I probably wasn't very healthy.  Now, I'm pretty overweight and finally at a point where I'm so frustrated that I am GOING to do something about it.  But I definitely need some accountability.  Just introducing myself here and hoping to take part in chatting in the forums.  Nice to meet you all 

:D

• Like 8

Welcome to NF, Rosie! 

What's your plan of attack for weight loss? Meal tracking, sustainable diet overhaul, exercise? (It'll be tough to do just exercise unless you move all day long, but some people can do it!) 

What kind of accountability are you looking for? Is there anything in particular we can do to help? Let us know! 

Right now we're midway through a 4 Week Challenge, but you're welcome to jump in and do a little mini challenge to get started if you want. Alternatively, you could just poke around a few other people's challenges to see what they're about and get a feel for how they go. If you prefer ongoing tracking instead of smaller goal chunks, there's also the Battle Logs, which you can jump in on anytime.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the forums! I'm pretty much always around (quote me or use @Wobbegong to get my attention), and other people of course are also going to be happy to help. :) 

Hello@wobbegong

You know I have been thinking about my plan of attack all night. Food is my biggest challenge. I want to do some good tracking BUT I would like to use a tracker that will help alert me to foods that may not be good for me or not in large quantities. Or an app that tells me which foods are the most nutrient dense. Are there any apps that you could recommend?

Also I definitely want to do some exercise. Light exercise for me for now. To get me in the habit and on the right track. Biking has always been a favorite of mine.

Accountability. I did mention that but I'm not really sure how I intended that. Is there a place to find a buddy at the same level as you to encourage and keep accountable as well?

Hey thanks for your reply! I feel like I'm in the right place to reach my goals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be honest I don't have much experience with food trackers, aside from My Fitness Pal (which does usually tell you nutritional breakdown and macro content, but you need to know what you're aiming for yourself). A lot of people around here use MFP, but I personally am not super fond of it. 

In @Butternut's challenge thread early on there was some discussion of food trackers that included Fitday, Fat Secret, Lifesum (although it looks like it's pay to use), and Nutritionix. You might look into those and see if any seem like a match for you. 

Biking is great for you! And absolutely, start small on the exercise front. Jumping in can get you injured, not to mention burnt out. Slow and steady makes for consistent change! 

As for accountability, there's the Accountabilibuddies threads which may help you find someone if you're just looking for a single person or small group to check in on you regularly. I've always found that posting a challenge thread in the 4WC's is a good way to get accountability, because people will poke their heads in and ask how it's going, request updates on your progress, and offer encouragement. In the Rebel forums at least, Fleaball and I have a habit of asking people how often they want us to check in, as some people feel overwhelmed being on the forums every day and others prefer more constant contact. In some ways it comes down to knowing what you want, but if you don't, you might as well just try a few things and see what you like best? 

On 7/25/2017 at 6:02 AM, jettafreak4 said:

Also I definitely want to do some exercise. Light exercise for me for now. To get me in the habit and on the right track. Biking has always been a favorite of mine.

Welcome. I imagine you're not doing as much biking lately?

4cd7480d89bd9ece4ae3936192f66536--la-flo

• Like 2

Fellow Floridian! Welcome. I find that walking is a great way to get started slowly. You might consider starting there. I like to get up and walk early in the morning, before the humidity gets too bad. You do get a bit of a sweat going, but it's a nice way to start the day, and I tend to be much more active if I start the day walking versus just getting out of bed and showering. Plus the sunrise can be very pretty. :)

• Like 1
On 7/24/2017 at 7:02 PM, jettafreak4 said:

Hello all,

My name is Rosie and I'm 33.  I live in Florida.  Growing up, I was always pretty thin, but looking back I probably wasn't very healthy.  Now, I'm pretty overweight and finally at a point where I'm so frustrated that I am GOING to do something about it.  But I definitely need some accountability.  Just introducing myself here and hoping to take part in chatting in the forums.  Nice to meet you all 

Welcome! The 4 Week Challenges are good for accountability as suggested above. People pop in and out of your thread to see how it's going, and I've found you tend to collect a core group of people that become regulars and are good to keep one another on track. :) New folks usually do their first challenge in the Rebel guild (and some of us mostly stay there!), so you'd probably be able to find someone of a similar level there pretty easily. Plus, the people that stick around as Rebels are good to check in and encourage you too. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have! Good luck!

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

On 7/24/2017 at 5:02 PM, jettafreak4 said:

Hello all,

I'm new to this site as well and I'm also originally from Florida. I was born in Melbourne but grew up in Orlando. After becoming a full-time RVer, I moved my state of residency to South Dakota as that state is very welcoming to full-time RVers. I'm currently working at Yellowstone National Park for the 2017 season. I'm also starting my fitness journey. Good luck to you and I look forward to getting to know you and others here as well.

VanGrrl57

On 7/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, Machete said:

Welcome. I imagine you're not doing as much biking lately?

Ha ha ha... This is correct... it's a little warm in Florida at the moment.  However, I bought new tubes and am preparing my bike for night time riding or in the next few months when it gets slightly cooler. 

• Like 1
On 7/29/2017 at 8:45 PM, Shadow Stormtide said:

Fellow Floridian! Welcome. I find that walking is a great way to get started slowly. You might consider starting there. I like to get up and walk early in the morning, before the humidity gets too bad. You do get a bit of a sweat going, but it's a nice way to start the day, and I tend to be much more active if I start the day walking versus just getting out of bed and showering. Plus the sunrise can be very pretty. :)

:D  Well hello!  Even walking is proving to be a challenge, sometimes.  And you're right... the morning is better for walking.  Usually I am at work before the sunrise, but evenings can be pleasant too.  Nice to meet another Floridian on NF forums.  Thanks for replying. 

On 8/2/2017 at 1:39 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

Welcome! The 4 Week Challenges are good for accountability as suggested above. People pop in and out of your thread to see how it's going, and I've found you tend to collect a core group of people that become regulars and are good to keep one another on track. :) New folks usually do their first challenge in the Rebel guild (and some of us mostly stay there!), so you'd probably be able to find someone of a similar level there pretty easily. Plus, the people that stick around as Rebels are good to check in and encourage you too. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have! Good luck!

Hi :D  I am actually a little confused about the 4 Week Challenges.  Does everyone choose their own challenge to do for 4 weeks, or is there a thread where everyone participates in the same challenge.  I am an Adventure...er.  (well, that doesn't sound right) but its good to know that I can participate in rebel or any other guild as well. :D 

On 8/2/2017 at 7:21 PM, VanGrrl57 said:

I'm new to this site as well and I'm also originally from Florida. I was born in Melbourne but grew up in Orlando. After becoming a full-time RVer, I moved my state of residency to South Dakota as that state is very welcoming to full-time RVers. I'm currently working at Yellowstone National Park for the 2017 season. I'm also starting my fitness journey. Good luck to you and I look forward to getting to know you and others here as well.

VanGrrl57

RVing sounds like a great adventure!  And your place of employment sounds pretty great too.  I'd say the move to South Dakota was a good one!  Good luck to you as well on  your fitness journey! :D 

• Like 1

Hi Rosie! Welcome to the Rebellion!

15 hours ago, jettafreak4 said:

Hi :D  I am actually a little confused about the 4 Week Challenges.  Does everyone choose their own challenge to do for 4 weeks, or is there a thread where everyone participates in the same challenge.  I am an Adventure...er.  (well, that doesn't sound right) but its good to know that I can participate in rebel or any other guild as well. :D 

You choose your own challenge, and post it in one of the guilds. For your first challenge, we recommend you join the Rebel guild.  After that you can stay with the rebels or move on to one of the other guilds. You also don't have to stick to one guild. Within the guilds, there'll usually be a mini challenge where you compete against your fellow guild members, often in a team. But that's completely optional.

This page has more detailed information about the challenges and tips on how to create your own. There's even a few worksheets if you're struggling to come up with goals to focus on. https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/help.html/4-week-challenges/challenge-instructions-and-faq/

I hope that clears up some of the confusion and good luck on your journey! :)

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!