Driscool prepares for a triumphant return to the Paradise Valley

I have 11 months left on my quest for knowledge and treasure in the far land of Mas-a-tshu-sets, before returning to the Paradise Valley, otherwise known by the envious as Stinky Creek, in the foothills of the mighty dividing range on the High Plateau of Castille. And I'd like to look good in my swimmers cos it'll be July when we get there.

I want to be able to run 10k in under an hour (training not race pace) by next July; I used to run a lot, but got out of the habit. I still run, but slowwwwwwwly. I've been working on Stronglifts, so I'd like to get up to 

Deadlift 300lb

Squat 200lb

Bench 180lb

Overhead Press 120lb

I'm 42 and a novice, so I think I'm being realistic.

In the short term, well I'm a teacher and it's summer! We just got back from a huge roadtrip, so there are no more big travel plans before school starts again at the end of August. So the plan is, for the next 38 days... 

Run every other day. Starting today (done), the first three runs will be a slow and easy as necessary. Then, one easy run, followed by one short fast run, easy run, long run (distance equivalent to previous two easy runs). A total of at least 16 runs over the period. 

Go to the gym 16-18 times. Follow stronglifts progression, beginning at a lower point than I finished on in June to allow for the month off.

Bodyweight workout on easy run days, and if unable to get to gym.

At least one full rest day per week.

Eating. Friday night to Sunday lunch time is cheat time. No alcohol outside those times unless its a social occasion. Minimum bread, pasta. High cocoa, low sugar dark chocolate, fruit and nuts to hand for sweetness and snacking cravings.

Today's progress:

Food: Three-egg omlette for breakfast, leftover fried chicken for lunch, large bowl of homemade chicken, lemongrass and coconut Thai soup for dinner. No booze, no bread.

Bodyweight: Three sets each to failure of bridges, fist pressups, narrow squats, leg raises.

Run: 35 minutes-ish. Took it very easy.

It's a start.

Level 1 Norse-Gael Minotaur driscool of the Valley of the Arroyomalhuele, otherwise Paradise Keep, otherwise the House of the Clan Huracan. 

me or the future: who blinks first?

STR 4 | STA 4  | CON 3 | WIS 3 | DEX 1

Run 2: 34 total minutes, with 3 two-minute walk breaks

Level 1 Norse-Gael Minotaur driscool of the Valley of the Arroyomalhuele, otherwise Paradise Keep, otherwise the House of the Clan Huracan. 

Run 3: 37:45 total running; 3 short walk breaks

Run 4: Setback strikes. After only 14 minutes slow running, I started to get a pain in my knee. Stopped running, walked back home. I hope its nothing serious

First gym day. My knee was hurting when I woke up so no run. 

At gym, following 5x5 stronglifts. This was the first time back for a month so I was testing out how much to lift.

125lb squats

105lb Bench Press

60lb dumbbell rows

To finish, 60lbx2 farmers carry, 50 steps, 50 steps, 40 steps and however many it was back to the rack.

Oh also 20 pressups this morning

Friday weigh in: 217.8lb, which is 99kg.

Run 5: Run/walk for an hour, with run bits of varying pace and intensity. Only a suggestion of knee pain towards the end.

Today I did the 'test' for the 100pushups thing. I did 16, which means that this week I do 4 sets of 8 every day, before another max reps test next Saturday.

http://www.100pushups.com

Update: 4 sets of 8 pushups spread out over the day.

No run. But gym. Squats, 5x5 @130lbs, Dumbbell rows, 5x5 each side @60lbs; Overhead press, 3x5 @80lb; Bench Press, 4x4 @110lg; Farmers carry @60lb each side, 60 steps x2 then 30 steps and couldn't contimue. Then back to the rack. Also 8 leg raises and to finish 10 min HIIT on the static bike (two min easy, 1 min hard as possible, 1:30 hard to finish)

Run 6: I managed 34 minutes nonstop

4x8 pushups, though I forgot about them till the afternoon.

No significant DOMS from yesterday's workout, unlike last time.

Gym 3: Only Bench Press (5x110lb after warm up) and squats (5x135lb after warm up) as my daughter was being a pain and wanted to go home,

4x8 pushups also done.

Run 7: Last night-Foolhardy speed work kind of. I went up to the track and did hard-ish 400s, with 200 walking in between. The hard ones were supposed to be 6Min/km in my hhead but ended up being faster, with one even under 5.

Friday weigh-in:  216lb, 98.18kg. 800 grams in a week, which is fine. More than fine. If I could average 800 grams a week for the next 45 weeks I'd lose 36 kilos! Which is obviously not gonig to happen and not even a good idea. 

So up to 10 press ups per set.... I didnt do the test as I was a bit hungover this morning. Not hungover as such but not 100% So to justify moving up to 10 I need to do 20 tomorrow

Run 8. Oh so slow but 45min on my feet

Run 9: I set and achieved a goal of running 5K in under 33 minutes. First paced run in a long time. I managed it in 31:50 with an uphill finish. Quite happy with that.

What I'm not doing is going to the gym.

Friday weiigh in: 218.6lb, 99.36kg

Very disappointed. This is what happens when I don't maintain discipline for a week. After last weeks good reading, I eased off- first was the weekend, Sunday was a barbecue and then we went away for three days, in which I stuffed myself. And drank. When I drink in the evening I then can't resist snacking. Ok so this is a clear warning. Get it under control because it won't happen by itself.

I think I need to start active food tracking. Sit down at the end of the day and right down everything that I have eaten, in order to induce discipline. I find it hard to keep to though.

Helluva gym session:

Bench Press, 5x5 115lb after warmup (naked bar, lower weights)

Squat 5x5 135lb after warm up

Overhead Press- warm up and FAIL- pain in my shoulder, feels a bit stiff so I thought I'd not risk it.

Deadlift 1x5 155lb

Dumbbell rows 5x5 65lb, one side then the other.

Interspersed sets of 10 pushups to meet daily goal of 4x10 spread over the day (one left to do)

Finish HIIT of my interpretation thereof on the static bike-  3 min warmup, 2 min tongue out hardcore, repeat 5 times with the length of gaps judged by hiow long it took for my HR to come back down. 

I felt wrecked and could hardly deal with stairs for the first hour after, but feel pretty good now.

Max pushup test: 22, which means onto sets of 11

Run 10: Shortish, and slow. 5k total, 4.5 running, but slowly- still suffering severe DOMS from Saturday's gym session.

Gym:

First squats. I did warmup, lower weights, then on to 140lb did 3x5 feeling great, then got a twinge in my lower back when unracking for set 4 and decided it was prudent to stop there.

Over head Press, 5x5 @80lb, after warmup

Dumbbell Rows, 5x5 65lb each side

Farmers carry, 95 steps, 65lb either side.

Run 11 yesterday: Long, slow. Trotted along for an a hour, faster final k or so.

Friday weigh in: 216.2lb, 98.27kg. OK So I have to keep it up. I haven't really made a lot of progress over the summer. Less than a kilo net in three weeks. I suppose that means I'm on track though. I need to be losing 800 grams a month for the next ten months to hit 90kg in July.

My weekday eating plan needs to be: Breakfast 0530AM- two eggs most days

Almuerzo 1200NOON- Whatever I take to work, emphasis on protein and veg

Second lunch around 1530 when I get home- this is where CONTROL needs to set in. Prepare and eat something healthy, green beans, cabbage. NO PICAR. Salads and cold meat best option. NO BREAD< COOKIES< PEANUT BUTTER BY THE SPOONFUL

Dinner around 8PM- usually whatever we are all having but paying attention to portion control (NO SECONDS). NO BOOZE Sun-Thurs

Gym yesterday. Short sesh. Squats 5x5@140lb, BP 5x5@120lb. Also keeping up with pressups, 11x4/day this week, will move on to 12 and try a Max test maybe tomorrow

Run 12 last night: Fast 400s. 6x400 (first 2 were 440 and 420) at around 5.00/km pace, with 1 min approx walk breaks between each interval.

Run 13. Not far, not fast.