Respawning for the final time!

So, here I am, hitting reset for what I'm determined will be the last time!

When I was last active here (August 2015), I was just a few weeks into going to my weight loss group. 77lbs later, and I'm now over halfway towards my target weight! However, where I've drifted off track is in terms of exercise, which is why I'm back here for motivation and advice. I'm losing weight consistently each week with following my eating plan, so now my aim is to really focus on my fitness and build exercise into my weekly routine, especially as my confidence now feels up enough again to be engaging in activities I enjoy but felt 'too big' to be seen doing in public, like swimming.

There's a new running club for beginners on Saturday mornings that's literally just started in my local area, and a friend of mine from my slimming group went to their first session last week - she's convinced me to come along with her and everyone is having a crack at Couch to 5k together. I've tried it previously on my own, but always found excuses not to go, whereas I tend to do better and stick with something when I've got accountability and someone relying on me to be there too, so going together and being part of a group will hopefully help me stick to it this time. So I've treated myself to a new pair of trainers, charged up the Fitbit, and I'm feeling ready for it!

I've also just bought a swimsuit for the first time in about 5 years; one that's 4 dress sizes smaller than the last one I owned...! This I want to try doing by myself as I feel like proper swimming for exercise demands your full attention, rather than being with a friend, and it'll be a nice bit of 'me time' with my own thoughts. Plus, at 8am on a Sunday morning, I'm hoping the pool should be pretty empty...!

I'm planning to track all of my activity here, and hopefully I'll stick with it long enough this time to see some real progress made!

• Like 4

Level 1 Recruit

STR: 0  DEX: 0  |  STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0  CHA: 0

Start weight: 17st 10.5
Current weight: 12st 7.5
Target weight: 9st

77 / 128lbs
lost so far!

"Limits must be tested."

23 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Welcome back, Ambee, and congratulations on all your progress!! That must feel pretty fantastic :)

It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of where to start for exercise. What kind of advice are you looking for? 

Thanks! :D It definitely feels pretty good, yes!

Advice-wise, to start off with, I'm going to see what the trainer guiding the running club says as the running is definitely where I need more help. My form is terrible, to the point where my brother says I look like all my limbs are going to go flying off when I run! As for the swimming, this is one where I think I'll need more help from forum members - I enjoy it, but have never done it 'properly' before for actual exercise, only for fun. For example, I've had a read through this beginner's guide to swimming, which I'm going to use to get started, but I've not been near a pool in a good few years so it might not be the best way of starting - I'm not sure!

• Like 1

Level 1 Recruit

STR: 0  DEX: 0  |  STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0  CHA: 0

Start weight: 17st 10.5
Current weight: 12st 7.5
Target weight: 9st

77 / 128lbs
lost so far!

"Limits must be tested."

That swimmers guide is intense! But I guess if you're serious about getting better, that's the way to do it :) 

As far as running, there is a lot of discussion of good form, but as far as I know, most of that is in regards to posture, breathing, and step pattern. Every runner swings their arms a different amount, and I've heard it doesn't make much difference UNLESS you try to swing your arms in a way that's uncomfortable/unnatural to you. So don't do that. 

As far as posture, everyone has room to improve on that anyway, but make sure you're looking ahead (about 100 feet, usually -- the distance between two telephone poles, if you're unsure) to avoid hanging your head and putting undue stress on your neck. You can also do some shoulder exercises and pectoral stretches to help with every-day standing up straight. Your running club guide will probably have more (better) information on that. 

Definitely look for experienced guidance regarding step pattern. It's something that's difficult to gauge on your own anyway. I understand you want to be striking the ground with your midfoot, but I have no idea if I do that or what to change if I'm not... I'm definitely not the person to ask, haha. For breathing, I'm sure your guide will have some tips and tricks, and the more aerobic cardio you do the better your breath control, lung capacity, and efficiency will get. I do usually work on timing my breaths to my steps, but if you listen to music while you run, timing to the beat works too. 

Best of luck! And let me know if you learn anything interesting, I'm always glad to hear new tips and techniques myself ;)