Trying to train (and become) like Nightwing

Hi everyone!  Gonna be trying very hard to train and exercise to try and become and train like Nightwing, basically becoming the real life version of Nightwing (and I mean every aspect).  Thinking of taking Eskrima and then Judo but I'm not so sure about what else I could do to become Nightwing.  Any and all help/advice is appreciated!  I've only recently started looking into all of this.

Haven't been eating paleo but I'd like to work out what I'm doing before the diet.

I'd write more (sorry) but I'm currently at work.

17 hours ago, Teirin said:

Grappling and stick fighting are a good start.  Any likely clubs in your area?  Have fun!

Well there are more Judo clubs than there are Eskrima clubs, the Eskrima clubs are a ways away (most are) but I'm still debating what to start with, also what to add in between Martial arts classes.

1 hour ago, Slitics44 said:

Well there are more Judo clubs than there are Eskrima clubs, the Eskrima clubs are a ways away (most are) but I'm still debating what to start with, also what to add in between Martial arts classes.

Gymnastics (and dancing, because dancing is a much more useful and used skill than fighting ;-)  at least one may hope!!)

• Like 1

Just because I am right, does not mean I am RIGHT, or that you are wrong.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:15 AM, Slitics44 said:

Judo tends to beat you up a lot, but it's very physical and you usually get some "real" sparring in often, which is rather rare with FMA (unless you go to something like a Dog Brothers gathering).

Gymnastics is always great GPP for almost any martial art. It's kind of hard to find adult gymnastics programs, but if you have the attention span (and the funds) GymnasticBodies has an awesome curriculum that @Kishi and I are currently following (the Foundations program by itself might take several years of grinding). GMB is also an option; the Assassins guild has multiple followers of their programs and I have heard good things. I don't know how much you weigh, but if bodyweight exercises are a problem you could first work on developing relative strength, and allow nutrition and the Judo practice to take care of the body composition. Gymnastics becomes extremely difficult when you're heavy.

Maybe start learning some Asian languages, as he's fluent in multiple. Several Monk guild leaders are working on their Japanese right now. Or you could even start with ASL.

• Like 1

GymnasticBodies and GMB are both fantastic programs, but they take very different approaches. GB is about sets and reps and behaves much more like a traditional strength program, albeit one that builds strength in a highly unorthodox way. GMB is more about movement and flow-based work. Given specifically what you've said, you'd probably get more movement/flow from escrima than you would from judo, so you'd probably get all those lovely little neurological circuits to connect that way. But that's just what it sounds like from here - it's better to do what you enjoy and can stick to. :)

Nightwing is a very cool and underrated hero, or so I think since having marathoned Young Justice. :D Any path you take to get there sounds like it'll be fun.

19 minutes ago, Machete said:

Gymnastics is always great GPP for almost any martial art. It's kind of hard to find adult gymnastics programs, but if you have the attention span (and the funds) GymnasticBodies has an awesome curriculum that @Kishi and I are currently following (the Foundations program by itself might take several years of grinding). GMB is also an option; the Assassins guild has multiple followers of their programs and I have heard good things. I don't know how much you weigh, but if bodyweight exercises are a problem you could first work on developing relative strength, and allow nutrition and the Judo practice to take care of the body composition. Gymnastics becomes extremely difficult when you're heavy.

To add to this, I would consider looking into seeing if you have Parkour and Freerunning classes around your area. Gymnastics can be really beneficial, but it's really hard to translate what can be done in the gym do what can be done outside. For example, gymnastic flips tend to use Spring Boards and Trampolines which call for a punching motion to get you the needed flip height, but then trying to do that same motion on regular ground will kill your momentum when trying to go into the flip.

Plus Parkour will give you some fundamental techniques need to traverse over urban obstacles and utilizes a lot of martial arts concept(The roll itself is taken from Akido). More Parkour and Freerunning gyms are popping up now, so you might find something. It also is very popular with the 20-30 year-old crowd so you won't have too hard of a time finding adults around.

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome

Judo is a great sport (martial art?) to get involved in. By its training tradition (how judo is taught and conducted in classes, trained is an integral part of the sport), you will get conditioned and stronger at the same time, especially if you are starting from a low base. You will get very comfortable, or forced to get so, in your own skin and making it do different things. 

An alternative is brazilian jiu-jitsu but that tends to be a lot more expensive as it is rarely state-sponsored (except in countries like the UAE, Kazakstan, etc) but is more suitable if you are older/have wonky joints. It is something that even relatively older people can do, as opposed to judo where the drop out rate spikes as the age moves up. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)