So I officially joined NF a week or so ago, (introductory post with a little backstory can be found here...) after browsing the many articles and tips over on the main website. Before I even consider delving into the 4 week challenges, I've decided to track my life with a battle log to see where I am at currently. So here it is.

My EPIC QUEST goal is to boost my confidence by having a healthy body and mind. My general fitness goals at the moment are to walk more (I have just started the "Walk to Mordor" challenge), to work up to trying some bodyweight workouts (such as the BBWW) and to make healthier choices with my diet (I am calorie counting and food logging to start with to get a baseline upon which I can build SMART goals). 

Speaking of which, I am yet to choose some proper SMART goals (if anybody reading this has any advice concerning an appropriate timeframe for SMART goals, or advice regarding anything I put on here, I would love to hear people's thoughts, comments, support or advice - I definitely need a certain amount of accountability to stick to anything... so please say hi below if anybody is actually reading this to let me know!). For now, I am focussing on just recording as much as I can that is to do with the things I listed above that I would like to change in my life.

So...

Here. We. Go.

EDIT: I have purchased the Level Up Your Life ebook and am currently working my way through the chapters. Reflections on this may guide and change the way I record my progress so this is going to be very fluid and flexible, and I might even transition to recording my progress through the 4 week challenges... We shall see :)

• Like 1

"Little by little, one travels far."
J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)

~ Constantly Respawning ~

26/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (knees): 4  Squats: 9

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Cereal and Semi Milk - 147 calories

Lunch:

• Chicken with cheddar and tomato puree, with carrots, sweetcorn and broccoli. Plus a cup of tea. - 617 calories

Afternoon Snack:

• Confession time......... Oops. I have started this battle log when I am definitely supposed to be packing stuff up to move out of my flat this weekend - oh, the joys of being a university student. So I accidentally made it through half a box of Cadbury mint matchmakers whilst packing/procrastinating. They are now hidden in the fridge to prevent me from mindlessly eating more... 415 calories.

Supper:

• Apple slice - 171 calories 

Total Calories: 1367

Daily Steps: 2598

Miles To Mordor Completed: 1.08

Overall, I feel happy with today. I have been busy and productive with packing and other things today so I still feel successful despite the low step count. I could have pushed up my calories for the day, but I didn't feel hungry so didn't bother. I'm experimenting with intuitive eating (more can be found here), but am trying to be more aware of my eating habits as a whole, hence I'm still counting calories. I really need to start making a list of ideas for SMART goals and focus on what I want to change (there's a lot of habits I would like to build!). 

27/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (knees): 5 Squats: 9

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Cereal and semi milk - 147 calories. 

Morning Snack:

• Apple Slice - 171 calories.

Lunch/Dinner:

• Chicken with mixed vegetable bolognese and roast potatoes - 915 calories. 

Evening Snack:

• Mint matchmakers - 304 calories. 

Total Calories: 1564

Daily Steps: 3408

Miles To Mordor Completed: 1.08 +1.42 = 2.50

Overall, today went okay. I went for a 20 minute walk in the evening because I had been pretty sedentary all day due to preparing for the big move. I still managed to get the push-ups and squats in though and my steps were better than yesterday. I only had enough food in for one big meal and didn't have time to go to the shop before the evening to get more. Hoping to increase my steps for tomorrow as I know I have a more active day, although R is coming over with pizza for the final night in the flat. So it could go either way tomorrow... 

28/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (knees): 5 Squats: 15 (something just clicked with my squats today, I don't know whether this was good form or whether it was just a good day!)

FOOD:

Morning Snack:

• Gala Apple - 171 calories.

Breakfast:

• Large bowl of porridge with semi milk and chocolate chips - 610 calories. 

Dinner:

• Pizza and cookies - 957 calories (ouch!)

Total Calories: 1638

Daily Steps: 8478

Miles To Mordor Completed: 2.50+3.54= 6.04

This was my first moving day so lots of steps were done, which I hope offset the calories from the pizza etc.! Breakfast was late morning and very filling and so meant I needed little else to last me through the day.

29/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (wall): 8 Squats: 12 

FOOD:

Drink through the day:

• Pepsi - 215 calories

Lunch:

• Chicken burger and salad - 611 calories

Supper:

• Wensleydale sandwich and M&Ms - 721 calories

Total Calories: 1547

Daily Steps: 7029

Miles To Mordor Completed: 6.04+2.93= 8.97

Second moving day! Went out for lunch but had already had a pepsi so went with tap water instead - didn't miss the sugar! One of my overall goals is to drink more water so this might become one of my 4wc goals... we'll see.

30/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Had a break from these exercises, legs were achy from moving days (I had no lift in my block so 8 flights of stairs it was) so didn't want to push it. Will definitely be back on it tomorrow!

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Cereal and semi milk - 302 calories

Lunch:

• Roast chicken dinner with potatoes and carrots. Plus dessert. - 963 calories

Evening Snack:

• Cheese sandwich - 358 calories

Total Calories: 1623

Daily Steps: 1322

Miles To Mordor Completed: 8.97+0.55= 9.52

Today was a rest day after the chaos of moving out. It was also a family day so the roast dinner was a little extravagant compared to normal (don't usually have one at all!) but it was delicious. The steps and lack of exercise reflect the lazy day, but this should only be for one day at a time so I will be back on it tomorrow!

31/7/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (knee): 5 Squats: 13

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Cereal and semi milk - 302 calories

Lunch:

• Fruit salad and sorbet - 571 calories

Dinner:

• Tortellini with pesto and parmesan. Plus yoghurt - 557 calories

Total Calories: 1430

Daily Steps: 3306

Miles To Mordor Completed: 9.52+1.38= 10.90

Had to travel today, so despite being out of the house, two and a half hours was spent sat on a train. I am housesitting for a week now so should manage to get out more and cook the things I want to eat myself rather than be subject to family diet. Splitting life across three cities at the moment - bring on September when I can finally live in one place for the next four months!

1/8/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (wall): 8 Squats: 12

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Apple slice - 171 calories

Lunch:

• Chicken wrap and mini battenberg - 736 calories

Dinner:

• Fish fingers and vegetable rice - 316 calories

Evening Snack:

• Chocolate bar - 180 calories

Total Calories: 1403

Daily Steps: 1018

Miles To Mordor Completed: 10.90+0.43= 11.33

Was a crappy day today, had nothing planned and felt in a really bad place emotionally so used that as an excuse to sit around all day. I did manage to progress in my crochet project, and scraped my way through the exercises but didn't feel any better for it. New day starts tomorrow.

2/8/17

EXERCISE:

• Push-ups (wall): 7 Squats: 13

FOOD:

Breakfast:

• Cereal with semi milk - 161 calories

Lunch:

• Chicken sandwich and cashews - 264 calories

Afternoon Snack:

• Gala apples with Nutella - 490 calories

Dinner:

• Tortelloni and beef bolognese sauce  - 384 calories

Evening Snack:

• Banana - 105 calories

Total Calories: 1404

Daily Steps: 6323

Miles To Mordor Completed: 11.33+2.64= 13.97

It was a better day today, I got up early and walked for almost an hour and felt much better for it. Despite not needing to do anything in particular, I felt motivated to be more productive and so managed to get some chores and a few bits around the house done. Can't be having a messy house while I'm housesitting, can we? :P 

So......

I have tracked my calories and exercise for about a month now - I tried out recording them on here to have it all in one place but I feel like using my fitbit app and writing down a brief log of exercise for myself was a better solution for me. I have also looked into a few habit building and meal planning apps - this is something I feel might help once I am back into a routine at university.

I am going to try out my first four week challenge (?!) in the hopes that I can give myself a little more structure now that I have a (wobbly) baseline. So here's to setting that up!

Not sure whether I will use this log again being as though I am going to have a written log of exercise and use my apps instead - we will see :)

But for now, so long! (And thanks for all the fish...)