Athaclena Hangs on......

Athaclena

So - gearing up for the next challenge, I was looking at what I had set for the last challenge.  I declared it an unmitigated success - even though I did virtually nothing on the list.  Seriously.  Apparently while not doing anything on the list, I remembered to do lots of things not on the list and have, as a result, felt better and lost weight.

So here I am, in my brief break before yet another grueling travel week, trying to decide, do I keep working on what I'd outlined in the last challenge, or focus on continuing down the path I somehow unwittingly stumbled onto?  Because - seriously - how can I not realize something made it through my thick skull that seems to be working.....

I think I'll do a hybrid.  Remembering that I know that week 0 and week 1 will be grueling (work\travel-wise) and weeks 2-3 will be interesting while at home and week 4 I'll be gearing up for & attending Dragon*Con - so it's kind of a wash except that I'll be walking - a LOT - and not so worried about calories.... And yes, the Thursday of D*Con - I'll drop off the face of the earth and likely won't surface until after Labor Day :)

So - onto the list:

1) I'm hanging up the food journaling.  I don't think it's going to happen.  My goal here is to not eat crap.  Eat veggies - splurge one or 2 meals a week but keep it in check.  This seems to be working - as long as I keep to protein shakes for breakfast while on the road.  Period.  It's easy.  It keeps calories under control. And even when my tummy is "off" I can manage to drink a shake (which tends to help the issue).
2) Continue to take my probiotic (can't let this fall off - it's KEY to me feeling well while traveling).  I let this slide a couple of weeks, but I'm back on it.
3) Walk.  Just Walk.  Set the goal at 5k\day and try to get it in.  But as long as I'm doing SOMETHING, I'm not going to beat myself up over it either.

4) Do my best to keep a sleep schedule\get enough sleep  - this went off kilter last challenge - partly due to f'd up travel schedule\delays but I think I've reigned it in.  But when it goes, everything else goes....

5) Try to check in here at least once per week.  I did that last challenge.  While I'd love to check in on other threads, I don't think it's going to happen again this challenge.

• Like 8

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Looks like a great challenge; keep up the good work! I'm curious, it seems like you travel a lot... do you have any advice for getting back into a good-habit-groove after a lot of traveling? I just got back from some extended travel... and all my habits I'd been working on went out the window. -_-

Looks like you've got great goals lined up for yourself! Way to go!

• Like 3

Air Druid || Eco-Foodie

I think the main thing is getting back into A groove when you change something up.  I think getting away for a few weeks gives you the chance to break bad habits\create new ones because you've "been away".

Part of my problem is that my schedule isn't consistent.  Sometimes I'm gone all week, sometimes a couple of days, sometimes I leave first thing Monday morning, others Monday afternoon - or Sunday.  So it's hard for me to have a routine - so what I'm really doing is trying to be mindful of everything and build in at least a couple of things I can be consistent on.  Like the shakes for breakfast during the week because sometimes I'd skip because I was running late (jet leg can be a real issue) or the options at the hotel are just not conducive to being good.  This week for instance, I leave first thing Monday morning - travel all day, cram 5 days of training into 4, get home after midnight Friday, then head back out for a quick trip Sunday (back home Tuesday night).  I mean - it's going to suck all around - but I can at least try to keep food on track and get as much sleep as possible :)

I AM bad about just eating at hotels (when I travel alone) - but I'm trying to be more mindful of at least leaving my room - and really looking at all of the options and work out something that keeps me on track.  Really want a burger & fries? Skip the bacon and bun.  Don't like the sides offered with the healthy option I otherwise would like? Ask for something else.  Can I make a meal from 2 appetizers?  If I'm craving pasta - can I put together something with ingredients I see on the menu that they can pull off in the kitchen - like grilled salmon or chicken on pasta with marinara rather than meatballs. That sort of thing.  Where things can REALLY go all belly up is when the client provides lunch then orders deep dish pizza (home office is in Chicago - it's a real problem).  'Cause there is just NO WAY around the gazillion calories.....

Anyway - stuff has seemed to "click" for me the last few weeks - and I'm hanging on trying to keep that up :) I've tried, started, done well, stopped so many times I whiplash - thus the really looking into the fundamental things I CAN change and keep consistent.  I just hope this time it sticks!

• Like 7

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

I really like your goals!

Unpredictable schedules really do make things harder. I'm not traveling, but my work shifts are all over the place. I'll have one week where I work almost every day, and then only work two days the next week. And I'll usually have Mondays off, except when I don't, and then when am I even going to fit in grocery shopping, much less a workout! 

Good luck!

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Following! Really happy to hear you found some effective approaches last time and I think it's smart to harness what seems to be working rather that worry about trying to conform to some external notion of what should be effective.

Curious: which probiotic do you take? I've considered taking one but don't know a lot about supplements at all, and I figure if you've already done the research I might be able to cash in   ;) 

Kudos to you for keeping any kind of routine going with all that travel. I used to have to travel occasionally for work and without fail it messed me up every time. 

Good luck!

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
12 hours ago, Athaclena said:

Anyway - stuff has seemed to "click" for me the last few weeks - and I'm hanging on trying to keep that up :) I've tried, started, done well, stopped so many times I whiplash - thus the really looking into the fundamental things I CAN change and keep consistent.  I just hope this time it sticks!

Good luck! :D 

• Like 2

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

I get one from Trader Joe's, the "super" one I think. Only need one a day so it's actually less expensive than the other one.

If you don't have a TJ's nearby, try the NOW Foods Probiotic (available from Amazon). They're pretty similar in terms of # and types of Probiotic. Just remember to refrigerate after opening. I make sure mine don't get checked so I can keep them from getting TOO hot/cold and only pack what I need rather than the whole bottle.

I really prefer getting mine from yogurt, but I'm extremely picky since I know what real, homemade yogurt tastes like LOL.

• Like 5

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Severine said:

Following! Really happy to hear you found some effective approaches last time and I think it's smart to harness what seems to be working rather that worry about trying to conform to some external notion of what should be effective.

I'm with Severine! I always use challenges as a way of figuring out what works for me. The goals are just a guideline, some things I'd like to accomplish. If they don't work out, then I learned something, so it was still a worthwhile experience! 

Keep up the good work and let us know if you need any help with anything! We're around :)

• Like 5

Checking in from Ottawa :)

So far - getting in my sleep, my steps, my probiotics, my breakfast shakes and not going too nuts with the food.  Even managed to catch up on the latest GOT (thank goodness for VPN showing a US IP so I could watch from Canada).  I'm making the command decision that there will be no fries with dinner though.  Unless I go somewhere with poutine, in which all bets are off LOL.  I realized I didn't get any when I was here last - and that is not acceptable (and possible illegal) :) 

Pants are still loose and I'm like, waking up refreshed in the morning rather than dragging.... again - when did that happen?  I've been waking up earlier on the weekends than I would normally wake up during the week.  Like refreshed.  I don't recall EVER doing that.  OK, a few specific instances (I'm not kidding - I distinctly remember doing that after some really good sleeping pills post LASIK surgery).  This is so frickin' weird to me.  I should have focused on getting sleep YEARS ago.....

• Like 6

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

I envy your refreshed mornings! Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

42 minutes ago, Athaclena said:

I'm making the command decision that there will be no fries with dinner though.  Unless I go somewhere with poutine, in which all bets are off LOL.  I realized I didn't get any when I was here last - and that is not acceptable (and possible illegal) :) 

Yeah, part of the standard questions at the border if I recall :D How many days were you here? Business or pleasure? Did you consume the requisite poutine??

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

I'm here on business - even have a work permit - WHEE - that was fun getting at 1am in Ottawa a few weeks ago - at least I was the only one and the CBP guy got me through relatively quickly - we both empathized about the really, really late hour LOL.  

It was a really quick trip and I wasn't alone, so I didn't search out good poutine and subject my co-worker to it.  But since I'm here by myself, I can do a bit more digging and make sure that happens.  I can tell you it's not on my hotel menu - because I absolutely would have already had it by now LOL. This will be my last trip for this client - I got here Monday afternoon and head out Friday night - so I have a couple more chances to get in my poutine fix.  If I don't - I'll have to find some real cheese curds at home and make it myself!

• Like 5

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Checking in....

Food - Fries 3 times this week - BUT I've been very good for lunch and other than the fries - good with dinner.  I've been sticking to my shakes and it's been helping

Probiotic - 100% compliance so far this week

Walking - Hitting my steps 1/2 of the days - I want to push that a bit more next week

Sleep - doing well - I know because I've been waking up before my alarm feeling like I've had enough sleep - I'm digging this so much - you have no idea...

Checking in - so far so good!

Now to keep it up.  Again, I'm not quite sure what has kicked in the "feeling refreshed" after a good night sleep rather than dragging.  Getting enough for long enough?  Dunno - a few weeks ago I was NOT getting enough.  I'm not really working out more.  My diet hasn't changed THAT much.  I haven't lost THAT much weight.  Maybe it's a bit of all of it - but again, I don't recall feeling refreshed waking up at any point (really) in my life. And I'm including childhood.  I'm a bit weirded out truthfully - but it's making my mornings easier - and was the reason why I've never been a "morning" person.  Anyway - I'll take it :)

Now if only I could get motivated to actually work out regularly.....

• Like 6

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

First off, I am so happy you found something that is working. With your schedule, i think flexibility is key and its great that you are sliding right into what is working. I do remember that waking up ready to roll feeling (Ihad it before my surgery last year) and I miss it. Hopefully I can get back to it. But I am glad you found it.

Check in when you can. We understand things not always being easy to check on others.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 3

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Checking in before my flight this afternoon.

I was pretty much a zombie yesterday.  Didn't drink enough fluids Friday (and should have downed an 8 oz glass of water before crashing at 1am), so didn't sleep well, woke up with a terrible headache and was a zombie - managed to rehydrate (starting with a breakfast shake) and get laundry done - along with a 2 hour nap which helped - LOTS - and slept well last night and am totally refreshed today.

Ok - so I have a theory about why recently I've felt refreshed in the morning.  The one, and only difference to my recent changes that is different than every other time I've tried to make changes - and indeed even when I was fairly fit - and never really feeling refreshed in the morning - are my morning protein shakes.  And not just the fact that I'm drinking morning shakes (I've done that before) - I really think it's what is in this particular shake.  It is packed with some vitamins you don't normally find, and even multi-vitamins don't normally have these vitamins in the levels in this shake - and I've always suspected it was much better to get vitamins from "food".  These vitamins are there because of the particular blend of what's in it, NOT because they've added the "chemical".  I think the true "culprit" is, all of a sudden, I'm getting a nice daily dose of Magnesium, Vitamin D and Vitamin K several days a week - from natural sources.

Anyway - this is the powder I'm using.  Hubby is the one that discovered it.  It's not the cheapest out there (by any means) and ends up being (even with Subscribe & Save) about $3 USD per serving.  I have a ton because hubby was using it for shakes for a while, and I had it on subscribe and save then he just stopped and it's been sitting around before I decided it would be a good way for me to control my breakfast while on the road.  Now, since I suspect it as the "culprit" for me feeling rested - I think I'll be continuing to use it for a good, long time and it will be BACK on my subscribe and save when my supply runs low (in a couple of months LOL).

• Like 5

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

On 8/13/2017 at 11:58 AM, Athaclena said:

It is packed with some vitamins you don't normally find, and even multi-vitamins don't normally have these vitamins in the levels in this shake - and I've always suspected it was much better to get vitamins from "food".  These vitamins are there because of the particular blend of what's in it, NOT because they've added the "chemical".  I think the true "culprit" is, all of a sudden, I'm getting a nice daily dose of Magnesium, Vitamin D and Vitamin K several days a week - from natural sources.

Looking at it, that powder has a lot of foods with various nutritional benefits.  (And magnesium, vitamin d, and vitamin k is a great combination for bone health.) I think in general the body is a lot happier when you're getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals. And yes, it's true that the body can better absorb vitamins and minerals that come from food (and the sun for vitamin D) more efficiently than from other sources.

I've also found that personally, I wake up better when I go to sleep hydrated. But not so hydrated that I have to wake up to go to the bathroom. 

• Like 3

Following!

Your goals are great! It's so hard to travel and stay on track. Food in Chicago.... oh man! There's SO much to choose from! The fried chicken sandwiches from Do-Rite Donuts... pizza... ugh, anyway!!! 

I bet getting lots of vitamins and minerals from those shakes is helping you sleep, especially the Magnesium.

Good luck to you! We can do this!

• Like 2

Made it through what had BETTER be my last work travel until vacation.  I'm still trying to make it "home" (outside of Charleston, SC) this weekend for the eclipse - but I'm still not sure if that'll happen.

I was able to wear jeans while flying again and still be comfortable. So real progress.  WOOT!

I do try to hydrate before bed.  It's a bad, bad habit to avoid fluids later in the day for me.  It's something I'm actively trying to stop - or at least down an 8 oz glass of water before bed.  I think part of why I'm bad about it is how much I truly hate getting up in the middle of the night :)

So, now just to tackle fitting in some sort of workout.  I'm hoping waking up rested, earlier, means I can start working in something in the morning.  Whether it's a quick body weight workout or a walk.  Since I'm home, I have no excuses.  I have bands, weights, workout videos and even a treadmill.  So that's next....

• Like 4

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Plans semi-finalized for going to Charleston, SC this weekend for the eclipse.  Now to make sure I have everything for that.  And somehow get the motivation to finish up work tasks.  I am seriously burned out.

Hopefully I can get some walks in on the property - but we'll see with the weather.  It's generally 90F/32C + with high humidity - so early morning (77F/25C) is more conducive - but I don't do mornings LOL.

There are AM Thunderstorms in the forecast Monday - hopefully it clears up!  I've got some solar viewing glasses coming in from Amazon today, but I may make a couple of shoebox viewers - just in case - and because it's cool.

I may not post over the weekend.  Internet back home is spotty at best.....

• Like 4

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Athaclena said:

It's generally 90F/32C + with high humidity - so early morning (77F/25C) is more conducive - but I don't do mornings LOL.

Same here. That kind of weather is why I don't like summer.

I've gotten better at mornings over the years. Plus my body has decided that just before 6 am is the best time to wake up, and won't take no for an answer. So I might as well get up. Getting outside is a different matter though... (I'll do it, but I won't be a happy camper.)

8 hours ago, Athaclena said:

There are AM Thunderstorms in the forecast Monday - hopefully it clears up!  I've got some solar viewing glasses coming in from Amazon today, but I may make a couple of shoebox viewers - just in case - and because it's cool.

I didn't even think about the weather!!! *looks* Morning is supposed to be nice, but there's a chance of storms right when the eclipse is supposed to happen... <_<

• Like 2

I clicked on the shake link out of curiosity, figuring it wouldn't be vegan so I'd be safe. But it is, which means my credit card and I will need to have a discussion. D: Thanks for sharing though! I'm super happy for you that it's making a difference. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

@fleaball - Yeah, it's the first all Vegan shake I like.  I'm not a Vegan (or even vegetarian) so it wasn't a primary component of why it was purchased, but since it is I know NEARLY anyone can utilize it.  It IS about $3 per serving putting in the pricier brands.  But to put it in perspective, it's less than a Starbucks Latte :)

Back in Atlanta!

All diet went out the window this weekend - which I pretty much figured since family was involved.  I didn't eat COMPLETE crap - but I splurged.  Oh - I ate some veggies and lots of seafood - but there was also Pimento Cheese, white bread, potato salad and fried things too....

The eclipse was INCREDIBLE.  I'm SO glad I went home to see it with family on the family farm - and the weather pretty much cooperated.  Wasn't super hot and while it was cloudy, the eclipse wasn't completely obliterated and peaked through the cloud cover enough to be quite view-able.  And the clouds completely cooperated for an unobstructed view a few minutes before, during and after the 2 minute totality.  A completely unforgettable experience!

Unfortunately, hubby's back was spasming yesterday, so we had to pull out the "big guns" for him to be comfortable to ride for 6 hours back to Atlanta and I had to drive the whole thing after putting in a 6 (I cut it a BIT short) hour day.  That's my first long drive in the truck - a Ram 3500 dually with crew cab + long bed.  The dang thing is 21' long and 8'3" wide.  And due to traffic, Google routed me through a lot of really narrow roads through areas of SC I haven't been in for at least 30 years - and in the middle of that we went through a nice, big almost 0 visibility rain shower.  But we made it home and was totally worth it!

Back on my shake this morning and I even picked up salad stuff with my quick grocery shop Saturday morning - so BACK ON PLAN TODAY!!!

• Like 5

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler