[Rebel Pilot Gar] Finding the Path

Mission Log: Finding the Path

Hello! I'm coming over here from the Rangers guild to work on a few things this challenge. I started running somewhat consistently in.... March/April this year. Since then I've completed two 5Ks - the NY Warrior Dash and and a local charity race. I am looking to build some consistency, work on proper form and stretching, and continue other healthy habits that I am trying to build. 

tumblr_o0ge51f7A71uj8phuo1_500.gif

Also... Star Wars :)

1) Scout the Territory

• Minimum 10K steps daily and 8+ "Active Hours" according to the FitBit
  • 30 min yoga per week
  • 30 min cardio per week - running, biking, hiking, etc

2) Reorganize Sleep and Morning Routine

• Weeknights - In bed by 10PM, asleep by 10:30PM
    • Eat dinner by 9PM
  • No social media (youtube, tumblr, etc) in the morning
    • Set up coffee night before, walk dog before breakfast
    • Leave for work (in car, driving) by 7AM 

3) Eat Real Food

• Aim for 5 servings per day fruit & vegetables
  • Drink at least 2 Liters water daily
  • Minimize alcohol & junk food consumption

tumblr_ooeq0xOeiD1qg9pglo2_540.gif

• Like 4

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Oh! And I am also taking reading recommendations for a cabin vacation that BF and I are going on during week 4 of this challenge. We are going somewhere with minimal cellular/internet service that has good hiking/walking options, fishing and generally just unwinding from life craziness.

So far I'm thinking maybe some good old Michael Crichton - think Jurassic Park and Timeline. Or maybe finally getting around to reading Dracula

But I welcome other recommendations as well - my go to is fantasy (Dragonlance and Sword of Shannara style Tolkein-esque stuff) but I also like other genres and always love hearing what others enjoy reading :)

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Dresden Files - first book is Storm Front - is a great Urban Fantasy series set in/around modern day Chicago. 

Black Company - think LotR but from the grunts POV.

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

6 hours ago, Strickland5 said:

Dresden Files - first book is Storm Front - is a great Urban Fantasy series set in/around modern day Chicago. 

Black Company - think LotR but from the grunts POV.

Black Company is definitely on my to read list....ooooh maybe I'll grab a copy of the first book or so from the library before we go. 

I know my little bro loves the entire Dresden series, I probably won't read that one this trip but I'll keep it in mind (at least to borrow the books from my brother next time I see him :P)

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay! Especially The Fionavar Tapestry, which is very LOTR-esque.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

46 minutes ago, QengpuBenal said:

I recommend the Clockwork series by Cassandra Clare. Amazing work!

Got me thinking of The Clockwork Century Series by Cherie Priest

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

I recommend Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Really great trilogy (usually sold as one unit now). Epic fantasy with a female main character that I really love because she feels so real.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Thanks everyone for all the reading recommendations!! Even if I don't read them this trip I'm adding all of them to my "reading wishlist"

Week 0 is going alright so far. I'm tracking but not really pushing any of the goals yet. 

I am doing better at getting to bed earlier (note I don't say on time :P) but am still waking up late and getting to work about 30-60 minutes later than I would like to. 

I'm out of town for business next week - hoping that will help me just break my usual routine and start building a new/better one. Looks like there are some great morning running routes by the hotel :D

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 0:41 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

Heyoo, Rebel Pilot Gar! We're in the same squad for the Ranger Mini, so I thought I'd stop by and wave hello! Following along to cheer you on! Your Cabin Vacation sounds exquisite :3

Thanks!

6 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Security chief also checking in!

You haven't reported in on your assigned department this week. Just making sure you don't forget to help out your squad.

giphy.gif

Aah sorry thanks for the push. Out of town on business which is throwing off my schedule. I'll get some combat reps in. Is there an official check in needed on the minis thread?

12 hours ago, mr_willes said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Ehhhh so week 1 was interesting. Anytime I wasn't in work, I was out .... networking. Yeah lets call it that. (Drinking and exploring a new city? F**k yes)

Friday kinda sucked though. Started off pretty well, but my flight home was cancelled and all the rest of the evening flights were booked so I just drove home. Well... drove a bit, stopped to rest a few hours before continuing my drive home. And I saw a coyote (living) chilling on the side of the highway. Saw bunches of deer too but first time seeing a coyote IRL. 

Good news is? I was super freaking active - walking, running, biking - in between all of the drinking. And I have some new contacts at other company sites who are working similar positions. 

Official post to come once I finish unpacking :)

• Like 2

Sounds like a good week, except for the canceled flight. That reminded me that through all my flight problems this year (and I've had several) I haven't yet had a canceled flight. I have however been temporarily flown to another airport because the one I was going to was closed, at least the second time I was only two hours late back to the original end destination instead of almost 18 hours.

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

7 hours ago, Dagger said:

Sounds like a good week, except for the canceled flight. That reminded me that through all my flight problems this year (and I've had several) I haven't yet had a canceled flight. I have however been temporarily flown to another airport because the one I was going to was closed, at least the second time I was only two hours late back to the original end destination instead of almost 18 hours.

Yeah it was interesting. Flight was on time, then got pushed back 30 min then just before the original boarding time it got cancelled with no reason given.

First time getting a flight cancelled but I made it home safe which is all that matters.

• Like 1

Am still alive - and now owe a bit over 2 weeks of progress updates. :/

Overall, I have been doing well with activity and water drinking. Not so well with getting to sleep on time, avoiding alcohol and getting my veggies in. 

And the morning routine??? Have not been able to bring myself to care to get to work on time, definitely counting the days to our vacation. 

It's not really a good place to be but I'm feeling kinda burnt out and really banking on this vacation to recharge my motivation (not that it really works like that but.....) Seriously I love my job just wiped out and not quite sure why.

Also looking forward to cutting the cord - we most likely won't have interwebs and will have very minimal phone access during our vacation. Just the way we want it <3

tumblr_muy5n8L6k61slwb3ho1_400.gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

It's not really a good place to be but I'm feeling kinda burnt out and really banking on this vacation to recharge my motivation (not that it really works like that but.....) Seriously I love my job just wiped out and not quite sure why.

Sometimes we just need a break from the normal routine, a chance to reset and recharge and then we look forward to going back (if it is something we love).

When is your vacation?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dagger said:

Sometimes we just need a break from the normal routine, a chance to reset and recharge and then we look forward to going back (if it is something we love).

When is your vacation?

Very true, which is what I am hoping for. Been a lot of changes lately around the workplace, missing some friends/mentors who have moved on to other opportunities. Though I can still keep in touch, it's not the same as walking to their office and bitching (brainstorming?) about a particularly troublesome project. 

I leave on Saturday! (mentally chanting: 2 more days, 2 more days) So excited, we are renting a little cabin and it'll just be me, BF and the pupster. 

• Like 2

I am back from my trip! I am still absorbing (assimilating? digesting? considering? not sure the best word) the experience and deciding how this will drive/motivate future life / challenge goals.I'll post some pictures soon but wanted to post this at least (since I'm so bad at the whole "I'll post a summary later" thing). 

We (BF & Dog) rented a little cabin - close enough to civilization that there were grocery stores within 30 min drive. We were also remote enough that the phones were useless at the cabin. No phone, wifi/internet, television, though we did have the basics - working stove and refrigerator, lights to read by, and a nice rustic cozy cabin. 

We loaded up with books from the local library and set off for a week away from work, friends & family. The leaves were just beginning to change - It was amazing to watch day by day as yellow and read leaves started spreading across the waves of green forested mountains. I wonder how brilliant the scenery will be in a few weeks once autumn really starts to take root. The weather held out for us. Only 2 days were we really rained out - but rain jackets kept the worst of it out. We saved that for staying local (at the cabin) and reading (with the fireplace lit!). But oh man was that first night dark. I enjoyed it - and it was a nice change to listen to a nearby stream or rain on the roof instead of a television. I think BF had a bit of trouble some nights - doesn't sleep well usually and this time didn't have TV or anything to distract himself with until sleep finally arrived. 

Activities - Walking & Hiking.

• Saturday - Arrive, local walk (1.5 km)
  • Sunday - Rainy, local walk (4 km)
  • Monday - Sunny (best weather day),  2 hikes (6.5 km)
  • Tuesday - Partly Cloudy, 1.5 hikes (3 km)
  • Wednesday - Rainy, a lot of reading
  • Thursday - Partly Cloudy, 1 hike (4 km)
  • Friday - Partly Cloudy, local walk (1.5 km)
  • Saturday - Go home, local walk (1.5 km)

There was one trail I'd heard about and really wanted to try - but it was rocky and slippery, and we were worried about the pupster slipping. If anything happened, BF and I aren't skilled/strong enough (YET) to carry out a 90 lb pup. We could've gone back later without the dog but..... Family hike without the pupster just doesn't feel right. As much as I wanted to do that trail - I'd rather we all come home safe than do it and risk someone getting hurt. We did do a beautiful trail with minimal elevation change later in the week. Almost makes up for it.

As I said, I'm still thinking about what habits / lifestyle changes I want to continue to nurture but the short list:

• Break the Technology Dependence
    • First few days without the phone I kept finding myself attempting to open apps, etc. Which didn't work because I had no signal. At all.
    • Unless we drove into town - but I got sick of the way I grasped for the phone to check in (like a person dying of thirst). After middle of the week I .... pretty much stopped that other than basic check in (no calls? cool, back to airplane mode). I had the important people (BF and dog) with me after all and it was really nice to disconnect.
    • Of course we came back home and jumped right back into the world of devices and information overload. *sigh*
  • Minimalism
    • There is a lot of BS belongings I have that... I really don't need. Just keep around for (insert reason here). 
    • Been talking about it instead of doing for way too long
    • This will be an actual goal once I figure out how to measure it. 
  • LONG family walks.
    • Honestly the BF isn't in as good shape as he was 2-3 years ago. New (desk) job is very stressful and sedentary and I think the daily walking was tough
    • My job isn't always the most active either, but I do my best to workout on a schedule. Daily walks weren't an issue, but the bigger hills definitely got me breathing.
    • Pupster was good - he LOVED being off leash at area around the cabin
    • I'm already looking up some local trails that will start working us towards more hilly/difficult terrain. Hopefully I can find a good time that will get BF to join without interfering with watching american football (it's a big deal for him + friends. I've never really been that big into watching sports on TV)
  • Good sleep schedule
    • I got a chance to catch up on sleep - an entire week with 7+ hours of sleep (rather than 5-6 I usually get on weekdays)
    • Need to keep it up/ make it more of priority
  • Like 2

Sounds like you had a good time even if the weather was so-so. Glad to hear it. <3

• Like 1

A few pictures as promised.

We saw lots of "newts" on our Thursday adventure, which after a quick google search appear to be juvenile eastern newts (Notophthalmus viridescens). Most were quite small and all over the path, so we had to watch our steps carefully. I noticed a few who looked like they were starting to get their adult coloring. (I really love the baby newts - they're so bright and orange and adorable)

Pupster really enjoyed himself. 

• Like 2