[SymphonicDan] and the home run [Level 22]

8 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

It should be an amazing time, but I strangely haven't been that excited about it... and I only realized why when I was talking to a friend about it (the one who "missed the bus" last challenge actually). In the past 13 months I've done so many new and exciting things that it seems now that any travel I do has to be even more new and amazing. And that's just impractical. And also I've been tired the past week (from thinking about plans too much, I reckon) and it's always difficult to forecast emotions and feel excited when you're tired. So I've made the rational decision to go on this adventure, believing that when I start it, it'll be great times :)

Dan, you don't even have to travel that much for non-excitement before going to be a thing.

People asked me all through April if I was excited to go traveling and my mind only went "I have a mile long to do list that is more important right now and if I don't get it done I'm f*cked. How am I supposed to be excited?". Then I started traveling and the thing is that yes it is exciting in some ways, but I am not excited 24/7. I'm mostly not excited, and if I am excited it is usually for a short period right when I book something and then I don't get excited again until I start the adventure if I do even then.

Traveling is amazing, but it is romanticized heavily. It isn't all super awesome things! It is also loneliness and needing to go find another grocery store and hoping to find something to elevate the feeling of loneliness but most everything is foreign.

Eeeh... I'm not sure where I am going except I feel you. I often find that I'm not as excited as people expect me to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 9/14/2017 at 9:41 AM, Dagger said:

Dan, you don't even have to travel that much for non-excitement before going to be a thing.

It's true - amongst people who just go pure backpacking, most people find that after around 4 months they hit a point when they're just burned-out and uninterested, and the best solution is for them to just chill in one place and have a more "normal" life for a few weeks. Seems such a #firstworldproblem, but that's the nature of human psychology.

I feel grateful that I decided to do lots of different types of travel, so that at no point have I gotten bored of the travelling :) just my threshold for an "exciting" plan had increased markèdly.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:36 AM, zenLara said:

You're back to your nomadic life, that's cool!

We will miss you for next challenge, though :(

I'll still be around in your threads when I can be :) And I'm probably going to revive my battle log for updates next week. I would like to keep challenging, but from past experience it doesn't really work.

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Whaa no challenge! I totally get it, but it'd be cool if you had some place where we can find you and get updates on your antics. :) Is your battle log revived yet? 

On 9/16/2017 at 2:55 AM, SymphonicDan said:

I feel grateful that I decided to do lots of different types of travel, so that at no point have I gotten bored of the travelling :) just my threshold for an "exciting" plan had increased markèdly.

Humans are incredibly adaptable, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. :) 

• Like 2
On 9/24/2017 at 9:05 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Whaa no challenge! I totally get it, but it'd be cool if you had some place where we can find you and get updates on your antics. :) Is your battle log revived yet? 

I'm boarding the ship to Panama very soon, which means I'll have no internet for 2 weeks, so no updates then! Once I get to dry land (or wet land, because it's the rainiest season over there) I'll either revive my battle logarithm or join in early with the October challenge. If I spend a stable few weeks in Bocas del Toro then that would be sweet challenge potential, but if my travel plans are more haywire then I'll just update the battle log whenever I can.

Antics commencing! :)

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Please tell us all about the cruise when you're done! I know I've looked at it before but it didn't fit my plans this fall.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Okay that was quite an adventure, and it's not over yet! I'm back on land, and writing today from the mountain town of Boquete in western Panama, overlooking coffee plantations and endless forest  :love_heart:

First of all, all-inclusive cruises are great, especially when compared to my usual backpacker standards! No excuse at all not to eat lots of healthy food when there are two buffets including salad and fruit every day. There's a gym and running track, and lots of stairs to climb between the decks of the 14-floor ship. And also unlimited alcohol, desserts and parties until at least 3.30am every day.

Even better, transatlantic cruises are actually cheap (€35/night per person) because the ship has to make the journey between the Mediterranean and Caribbean twice a year anyway to anticipate seasonal demand, so they just sell a load of cheap tickets. Plus if you're going west-bound, half the days are 25 hours, because you keep passing through new timezones :)

And the Nomad Cruise group I was with was really interesting - we were 260 people, mostly nomadic and working while travelling, and generally interested in self-development. There were a bunch of workshops on everything from the environment to bitcoin and from presentation skills to orgasms (yes, really...) So, some highlights from the NF perspective:

1. Wim Hof: the first day had a workshop that turned out to be on the Wim Hof method, and we tried out the breathing techniques. Initially it was kinda hilarious, like we were trying to inhale spaghetti, but the effects were really clear. We did 4 x (30 breaths, exhale then retention) and I felt pretty light-headed on the 2nd and 4th times, but got retention times of 0:59, 1:25, 1:25 again and 2:04, which is much longer than I'd managed without the technique. Most of the group seemed to be getting around 40-70 seconds though, so I think zenLara and I just have naturally longer retention times.
  2. Salsa: on a Spanish cruise ship between Spanish-speaking countries, it turns out they have salsa/bachata/merengue playing 1-2 sessions every night, so I had a lot of practise here, and nearly got together with a really nice girl I met dancing ;) There were also some locals from Central America there who have a much less structured style than we do in Europe (where if people dance at all they take classes) so it was also interesting dancing with them.
  3. Acro-yoga: there were 3 serious acro-yoga addicts on the ship, so every evening just before sunset we'd go up on the top deck and they'd lead a class for sometimes 30-40 people! Most of the positions (for the base) involve lying on the ground on out back, with our legs vertical holding the flyer - but for me that was really difficult and demonstrated that I need to work a lot on my hip flexibility... Flying is fun though!
  4. Software work: I pretty much finished the timetabler project that I was being paid for - including some distraction-free work:
    1. on a train
    2. on a plane
    3. in a hostel
    4. on a cruise ship
    5. in a café
    6. hitch-hiking in a truck

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to Bocas del Toro and chill there for a couple of weeks, and then QuetzalTrekkers have told me they're short of volunteers for November so I might go back to Nicaragua to volunteer for them. I'm also considering finding some more remote software work to really try this nomad lifestyle. Although maybe I'll do more of that in cafés and coworking spaces than riding shotgun in a truck full of beer :P

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Sounds good! 

One of the kettlebellers on my team is also a working nomad. She's crashing at my moms place for the next 3 weeks so she can get some good training in before worlds x) but she's definitely seeing some interesting places! It's something I'd be attracted to if I wasn't so attached to an area (family, friends, work). 

You should give it a go! 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ahhh, so cool! Panamaaa! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Right now I'm in Bocas del Toro with quite a few of the other nomads from the cruise. It's a cool place but not as awesome as it had been hyped-up to be. Still, some highlights:

• snorkeling at night with plankton that glow when you move the water!
  • dolphin-watching (actually I wouldn't recommend this, as I don't like how they bother the animals)
  • hiking through the mud seeing crocodiles and little red frogs
  • this gigantic water slide at the hostel I'm staying at now :o

The last week has been a bit weird, as my travel plans are wearing thin again and I had some difficult girl-related drama and one of the hostels was super noisy so no-one could work or rest there :(

So to help focus a little, here's my new challenge! (and yes, I am featuring Wim Hof)

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

18 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

snorkeling at night with plankton that glow when you move the water!

Is the really tiny ones that look like sparkles?  If so, they have those along some of the beaches near Qingdao.  Really amazing 

18 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

hiking through the mud seeing crocodiles

I'm sorry but that would freak me right out.  Crocodiles scare me

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11