Dyego's Also Doing a 1st Challenge!

Dyego

My Very First 4-Week Challenge! Woot!

I’m hitting the reset button and working on the things I didn’t do so well at.  Yay for knowing your weaknesses!

I hate vegetables. I really, truly do. If they aren’t stir-fried into something, they’re just the worst. So I’m going to hunt down various recipes and things that I can do to enjoy vegetables. Soaking them in butter seems to help, so I’m going to start with that.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing 30 pounds)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #1:

Eat a vegetable at least 3 times a week. I’d like to eat a vegetable once a day, and that’s my larger goal, but setting myself up for failure this early is bad. So 3 veggies a week. Does a can of Spicy V8 Juice in the morning count? I don’t mind that so much.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Research and discover new vegetable recipes and new vegetables

Only eat a sugary snack once a day. I have a huge sugar addiction. Just ask the three cracked teeth and root canals I’ve had in the past two years. Trying to cold-turkey it led to me binge-eating four boxes of cookies last week. So my bigger goal is to only eat a sugary snack 3 times a week, but I think I can start with just one a day. Thankfully, I kicked the sugary-drink addiction a while ago, so sodas aren’t really a problem. Cookies, though? And Butterfingers? Yeah. Yeah. Those are BIG problems. Only 1 a day!

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Find a healthier sugary snack (ha!) or, barring that, actually focus on my sugary snack and enjoy it fully.

Walk up and down the stairs for five minutes 3 days a week.

I don’t mind this so much. I find exercising really boring (which just means I need to find the right type, but living in Phoenix and having low heat tolerance means my outdoor sports are limited to three months a year). But I’ve been doing this off and not hating it. Progress! My big goal is to do it every day, but starting slow with 3 days a week seems a nice balance.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Make it a game! Log my activity toward climbing skyscrapers.

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard (Or: Writing and publishing my next novel)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #2:

Write 100 words every day

I’m an author, self-published a few books, but I’ve been stalling pretty bad on finishing my trilogy. That needs to stop. My big goal is to write 1000 words a day, but honestly, that’s going to take some work. I can write 100 words a day. (these forum posts don’t count, sadly, or I’d be doing really well). If I make it to 500 words a day by the ends of the 4 weeks, I’ll be very happy.

• Associated goal to accomplish this goal: Use "Cold Turkey" software to block out distractions on my computer until 100 words are written.

What guild do I think I’ll be joining eventually? Not sure. I’m a natural Adventuring Ranger, it seems, as my endurance stinks but I can sprint really fast. I can lift a lot, but find it boring. I love to adventure, but can’t get out and away and honestly Phoenix stinks for adventures (I hate the desert. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate okay you get the point). I’ll work it out one day.

• Like 6

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Welcome to the Rebels Guild!

The good thing about veggies is that there are so many out there, you're bound to find a few you like. But it's really important to learn how to cook them properly, it makes a huge difference in taste & texture. (A lot of people overcook them and it turns into this mushy used to be a veggie mess.) Sauteing in butter with a bit of salt and pepper is a good place to start. You don't need to use all that much butter either, especially if you have a non-stick pan. Veggie juice totally counts, but be careful with V8 (and other brands) some of those juices are swimming in sugar!

Slow and steady is the key. Good luck on your first challenge! :)

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Thanks for the encouragement! Aye, the cans I drink are a bit high in sugar, especially for the morning, but it's better than I've been doing. Now that you mentioned it, however, I should switch to drinking them with lunch/dinner instead of breakfast. I can do that!

As for cooking vegetables *puts on chef hat* I'm up to the challenge! I love cooking, I've just always enjoyed cooking things that aren't veggies. (And if they involve veggies, they're usually nowhere near the main ingredient). Part of my Planning Week is to hunt down tasty veggie dish recipes and try to eat one whole dinner low-glycemic veggie dinner a week. Writing that down just gave me the heeblie-jeeblies. I can do it! :D

• Like 5

--

--

10 hours ago, Dyego said:

Part of my Planning Week is to hunt down tasty veggie dish recipes and try to eat one whole dinner low-glycemic veggie dinner a week. Writing that down just gave me the heeblie-jeeblies. I can do it! :D

A good place to start looking at are vegan dishes. You can't get more veggie focused than that! ;)

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Ha ha.  V8 juice is something I fall back on as well when I need veggies and I'm not entirely sure if this is healthy, as I know it is very high in sodium (yum!!)

also, I would be interested in hearing about your books!  

I will I'll be rooting for you and following along Dyego!

• Like 3

Welcome to Rebel, Dyego! 

For veggie eating, I'm with Zeroh: the trick is to figure out how you like to eat them, and go from there. But to get the ball rolling... 

- Thai-style vegetable curry. You can include a lean meat if you want, of course, but focus on those veggies cooked in coconut milk and curry paste (super easy to do). You can make it as spicy or mild as you like, and toss in whatever vegetables you want. Some of my favorites for this meal are: zucchini, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, bamboo, carrots, green beans, and potato (in small amounts). Mix and match! 

- Zucchini "pasta" (use a spiralizer) in tomato soup. Just spiralize the zucchini -- or whatever you want to use, carrots work, other squash, you've got options -- toss it into your tomato soup, and bring to a boil. I often add a flavorful cheese for some good fat-based satiety. 
- Actual pasta with vegetables. I have several favorites, but I'm especially fond of grated zucchini or thinly-sliced leeks with the pasta of your choice in cream sauce. If I do the zucchini, I usually add in some peas for texture. If I do the leeks, I like to toss in some strips of prosciutto for some salty goodness. 

For limiting sugar, the trick is to really focus on the treat food while you're eating it. I used to have a huge problem with Reese's minis: I would buy a party bag of them and just sit on the couch watching anime and unwrapping those little buggers and popping them in my mouth. I would fidget with the wrappers and keep eating more, and more... I've gone through an entire back in one sitting like that, I'm ashamed to say. 

Instead of just chowing down mindlessly and feeling guilty about it, give yourself permission to eat the thing as long as you eat it mindfully. Really focus on the experience of eating. What does the treat smell like? How does it feel in your mouth? How does eating it make you feel? In the moment, and an hour later? When you check in an hour later, spend some time remembering the experience of eating the food. What details can you recall? Using this method can really help curb your cravings, both because you're satisfying the need more efficiently by paying attention in the moment, and because you eventually get to a point where you realize the thing you want isn't fulfilling your need. 

Best of luck with your goals! I'm rooting for you!

• Like 3

I'm working on my sugar habit too! I also second the pasta-inspired tweaks above! I sautée my zoodles (zucchini noodles) in olive oil instead of boiling though, so if you don't like them boiled, try that. Be careful if you try to spiralize squash. It doesn't hold up well!

Another veggie add that's tasty--you could try mixing them into an omelet. Usually, when you do that, you dice them so small, they're not as noticeable. And no one says you can't have an omelet for dinner!

Welcome and good luck! 

• Like 3

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Thanks for all of the support, everyone! :D@Wobbegong: (first, I love your name. huge shark/ray fan here!) entire family-size bag of peanut butter M&Ms in one sitting is my "shame list".

Challenge Update #1

Overall: I have looked over the planning worksheets again and decided that I could break things down even further AND come up with better names. So, I have edited my challenge to include the Epic Quests that my goals are leading toward. I also listed associated goals that will help me accomplish the main goals, IE finding new vegetables and vegetable recipes for eating veggies.

Vegetable Eating Goal: I have just this morning discovered two Indian recipes that I would like to try out.  Chickpea Daal and Chana Masala. I'm also going to try out Wobbegong's Thai-style curry vegetable. I will be purchasing the needed ingredients next round at the supermarket.

Sugary Snack Goal: Started organizing the sugary snacks in my house into a "treat cupboard" so that they're not scattered everywhere I can find them, nab them, and munch them. I may put a lock on the cupboard....

Walking Stairs Goal: Did an awesome 10 sets yesterday. Might take a break today so my knee can recover.

Writing Goal: Wrote 100 words today while all distractions were paused! Woot!

• Like 5

--

--

1 hour ago, Dyego said:

@Wobbegong: (first, I love your name. huge shark/ray fan here!) entire family-size bag of peanut butter M&Ms in one sitting is my "shame list".

Yusssss all the sharks and rays! :love_heart: Yeah, candy is shockingly dangerous. Idk how it sneaks up on you, but all of a sudden you definitely find yourself taking a step back and thinking "how on earth did I end up like this?!" :/ Good luck!

1 hour ago, Dyego said:

I'm also going to try out Wobbegong's Thai-style curry vegetable.

In that case, some clearer instructions (if you like instructions... some people don't, and you can ignore them):

Spoiler

Ingredients: 
Protein of your choice - bite size pieces
Vegetables of your choice - bite size pieces
Curry paste of your choice 
Coconut milk - 1 can (or 2 if you're making a lot) 
Garlic - minced or pressed
Ginger - minced 
Fish sauce
Basil leaves (preferably Thai, but use what you can find) - loosely chopped
Cilantro (optional, I know some people hate it) - loosely chopped 
Olive oil or cooking fat of your choice

Lime juice, ideally fresh - one to two limes to taste

Instructions: 
1. In the largest frying pan you have, heat your cooking fat on medium (for olive oil, "until shimmering"). Add garlic and ginger and stir. Let heat until strong garlic aroma wafts from the pan (aka "until just beginning to brown" except one you see brown you've gone too far so fuck you regular recipes). 
2. Add your vegetables to the pan, in order from longest to shortest cook times. Some vegetables may need several minutes head-start. 
3. Add curry paste, stir, and sautee vegetables for about five minutes or until they're beginning to soften, but nowhere near mushy (3-5 minutes from adding your quickest cooking veggies). Add more cooking oil if things are too sticky, but the veggies should be giving off enough water to take care of it. 
4. Add meat and cook until edible. (For chicken, fish, and usually pork that's white through; for beef to your taste; etc.) 
5. Add the can of coconut milk and fish sauce to taste. (Fish sauce adds salt and authentic flavor, but you can sub soy sauce if you need to. Imo fish sauce smells strongly of dog food, and not in a good way, but it doesn't taste bad I promise.) Bring to simmer. Add basil, cilantro if desired, and lime juice. Stir. Remove from heat and serve over rice or rice noodles of your choice, or eat plain. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Dyego said:

Sugary Snack Goal: Started organizing the sugary snacks in my house into a "treat cupboard" so that they're not scattered everywhere I can find them, nab them, and munch them. I may put a lock on the cupboard....

My dad has a very similar goal to yours, except my mom keeps everything hidden and he gets his dessert every night from her.  When she's out of town visiting us or my siblings, she legit hides them (really weird places) and reveals one location every night when she calls him to say goodnight. So, unlike him,  Kudos to you for having the power to lock away your own temptation!!

3 hours ago, Dyego said:

Writing Goal: Wrote 100 words today while all distractions were paused! Woot!

Woooooo!!!  Always excited about writing goals!!!!  Awesome!

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Hey and welcome to the rebels! I'm trying to lose weight too, and am a fellow sugar junkie (the two things are, of course, related...I absolutely love chocolate) so we have some things in common.

I love veggies, though! Whenever I meet someone who says they hate them, I feel like I want to drive over to their house and start cooking because I am 100% convinced that people who think they don't like veggies just haven't had them cooked the right way.

My go-to veggie prep technique is roasting them with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. It works for so many things: yams, cauliflower, broccoli, beets, carrots, green beans, etc. And it's so easy. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Take whatever veggie you're cooking and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Put them in a bowl and add 2-4 tbsp of olive oil depending on how many veggies you have, and then toss to coat. Add salt and pepper. Spread out on a nonstick cookie sheet in a single layer (don't have veggies on top of each other) and then put in the oven. Every 10 minutes remove from oven and flip the veggies to the other side and test for doneness. When they caramelize and are somewhat soft (but not mushy), they're done! Here's a specific example for delicata squash, if you can find some - it's delicious but a bit of a specialty veggie, mostly only available in the fall in places like Whole Foods. But it works with almost everything.

Awesome to see you working toward another book. We have a few writers around here. What genre do you typically write in?

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

Popping in to offer one more voice of support for a fellow newbie here!

Also, I'm excited to hear about your experiments with daal and chana masala. I've found Indian-inspired recipes to be a great vehicle into veggies. If you've got the time (and aren't burned out on veggie suggestions yet), butternut squash cooked long enough to be soft-not-mushy is a great option to add to a lot of these. It also benefits from being a vegetable that doesn't taste much like a vegetable (at least to me). I've found a few stores that sell it pre-cubed. That's great when in a rush and/or when still building knife and peeling skills.

I'll also sing the praises of bell peppers as a versatile veggie option. Slice 'em into strips and saute with an onion, add some meat or other protein as desired, add fajita seasoning to taste, wrap in tortilla and add cheese/salsa/sour cream as desired, and you've got a pretty easy and tasty meal. Green ones have bite, red ones run sweeter (although they're all the same plant, just at different stages of ripeness). I typically do one of each if it's just for me, but my wife prefers just the red ones. They're also a great vehicle for stuffing things into.

I hope today's going well so far!

• Like 5

The Doc Savage Oath (in part)

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it. Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice. Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.... -- Doc Savage, as written by Lester Dent

Character Sheet: Grenwolf

As someone who loves veggies, if you ever need ideas let me know! I saw someone mention Curry which is a great way to get a lot of non veggie flavor in. 

As the cooking teacher I assist most the time says "if something looks interesting, and catches your eye get it and try it" and I think that works really well. There's google and lots of people here who I'm sure would be more than willing to help find recipes for different things. 

also Zoodles are great! You can hand cut them, get a julianne pealer, or a spiralzer, but it's a great way to get veggies in and maybe put some sauce on them you enjoy? also Spagetti squash does about the same, just make sure you dont over cook or else it can get watery, also though sometimes I put it in a strainer and squeeze some liquid out before eating

a few things to maybe try?

Nom Nom Paleo Garbage Stir Fry

Civilized Caveman Easy Coleslaw

Lastly on the veggies: steam, saute, stir fry, roast, braise and bbq, are all things that can be done to most veggies. Just because you don't like something prepared one way, sometimes another way is really good! 

Also there's a writing group in the acoutabilibudies, not sure if you've checked it out yet

• Like 4

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Hey!

Another veggie lover and foodie here - hit me up if you ever need tips or recipes - I've probably got a few hanging around. Definitely seconding the daal suggestion though - that's one of my favourites! I can dig up a few stir-fry sauce recipes for you, too - something that puts a bit more flavour on the veggies so that you don't taste them as much.

Definitely one of the first things I had to do when I decided to get healthy was just not keep food I didn't want to eat in the house. If it's there, it'll get eaten, even if I intended to savour it or save it. Kudos for being able to manage your own temptations like that!

• Like 4

My Character

Current Challenge: Starting from the Start

A million thanks for all of the recipes and help! I'll need some more as time goes. @Grenwolf: Fajitas are a vegetable dish I don't mind as much as I used to. And, if we're being honest, Salsa is God's gift to veggies. Salsa is definitely my favorite way to take in vegetables, unfortunately, it;s usually associated with binge tortilla-chip eating.

I like spicy Indian and Sichuan / Hunan food, so I've been trying to hunt down more of those. At the moment I'm trying to get some recipes into my meal planner and plot out at least the first week of food. Probably have to wait until tomorrow, got way too busy today :(

• Like 5

--

--

10 minutes ago, Dyego said:

Salsa is definitely my favorite way to take in vegetables, unfortunately, it;s usually associated with binge tortilla-chip eating.

Ah! Here's a problem I can solve. Have you ever tried salsa over poached eggs? Absolutely delicious and no tortilla chips necessary! (Not that I'm one to talk about tortilla chip over-consumption. My last challenge has a pretty good record of just how bad I am at staying away from them.) 

If you're not confident in your egg-poaching skills, salsa with eggs works with basically any egg preparation you like. Give it a whirl! You might be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

If you like salsa, you might also try shakshuka (apologies if I'm spelling that wrong). It's basically eggs cooked in a tomato-based sauce in a frying pan. Cheese not traditionally added, but I recommend it anyway. You could totally do that and make a salsa-y tomato sauce for it. Honestly I often do it with leftover pasta sauce - just heat it up in a frying pan or saucepan, crack two eggs into it, and serve for delicious breakfast. 

Basically just another variant of Wobbegong's idea, but thought I'd mention :)

• Like 4

My Character

12 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Tagging @Plazmotic for recipe sharing! She's over in another forum this challenge, but had some delicious recipes already on tap for this challenge!

IT ME.

Hooray for writing and recipes!

As someone who grew up as a part-time vegetarian, I looooove my vegetables. And my vegetarian exposure was all Indian food too; as far as I’m concerned every vegetable becomes delicious once you put it in curry. EVERY vegetable… daikon, okra, chayote, brussel sprouts, whatever you like!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

as far as I’m concerned every vegetable becomes delicious once you put it in curry. EVERY vegetable… daikon, okra, chayote, brussel sprouts, whatever you like!

Hello there and thanks for stopping by in my challenge thread :D Well, isn't it true that just about ANY food tastes better in a curry?? :D Hit me with your favorite curry-veggie combo, if you'd be so lovingly kind!

The biggest obstacle I'm having in making 'authentic' Chinese recipes is that a lot of them call for sauces (usually a bean sauce) that comes with wheat, which being a Celiac sufferer, is an absolute no-no as opposed to a Paleo Preference. I've seen a few make-your-own recipes, but none that looked all that appetizing. I'll have to try some anyway, and make a 45-minute trip to my closest Asian market before my challenge "Officially" starts. I can see why it's said that planning week is so important, especially for a first challenge!

Here's what I've got so far for my Planned Meals:

Once a week during the four weeks: stir-fry vegetable mix stir-fried in my Kung Pao Chicken sauce, and some egg-drop soup for dinner

Once a week during the four weeks: steamed veggies in Kerrygold butter for lunch

Those are the veggies I can eat regularly, no real sweat. My goal is 3 veggie-meals a week, so I'll have to try a curry veggie and some Indian recipes to mix things up. If all else fails, I'll fall back on the can of spicy V8 juice and call it a draw :lol:

I'm thinking I may make my Kung Pao Chicken sauce ahead of time for maybe a couple weeks. Anyone have any experience on pre-making Asian sauces, and how long they last in the fridge? I don't know that I've ever pre-made anything (other than Crème brûlée!)

• Like 4

--

--

36 minutes ago, Dyego said:

I'm thinking I may make my Kung Pao Chicken sauce ahead of time for maybe a couple weeks. Anyone have any experience on pre-making Asian sauces, and how long they last in the fridge? I don't know that I've ever pre-made anything (other than Crème brûlée!)

I made a garlic sauce recently for a Chinese broccoli chicken recipe and it kept pretty well pre-made. It did separate in the fridge, but you can just stir it back together, it's fine. I think I made it a few days in advance? 

• Like 1

I finally got my husband to eat veg by roasting asparagus.  of all the things he really likes it.  I may have also convinced him that stir fried cabbage will be okay since he eats egg rolls with no problem.   I want to get a grilling pan to char up some veggies on top of the stove.

I have a great recipe for fajitas.  Rather than list it out here, one can find it on my blog: https://clubschadenfreude.com/2013/02/04/from-the-kitchen-chicken-fajitas-and-a-bad-movie-to-go/ (fair warning, my blog contains more than just recipes, including my unvarnished political and religious views. if the post doesn't say "From the kitchen" or "From the bar", you might want to avoid it).

I also have a great recipe for chili: https://clubschadenfreude.com/2012/04/26/from-the-kitchen-chimichurri-and-chili/ 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Dyego said:

The biggest obstacle I'm having in making 'authentic' Chinese recipes is that a lot of them call for sauces (usually a bean sauce) that comes with wheat, which being a Celiac sufferer, is an absolute no-no as opposed to a Paleo Preference. I've seen a few make-your-own recipes, but none that looked all that appetizing. I'll have to try some anyway, and make a 45-minute trip to my closest Asian market before my challenge "Officially" starts. I can see why it's said that planning week is so important, especially for a first challenge!

~snip~

I haven't pre-made many sauces, but I found that you can at least get decent gluten-free soy sauce (Kikkoman's is my preferred brand). Don't know if I've seen a gf dark/sweet soy, though, I'd have to go looking... What sauces are you looking to replace? I think I might have a decent recipe for black bean sauce around here somewhere - if I find it I'll pass it along.

ETA: I have a good hoisin sauce recipe if you need that, too.

• Like 1

My Character

36 minutes ago, VellaMal said:

I haven't pre-made many sauces, but I found that you can at least get decent gluten-free soy sauce (Kikkoman's is my preferred brand). Don't know if I've seen a gf dark/sweet soy, though, I'd have to go looking... What sauces are you looking to replace? I think I might have a decent recipe for black bean sauce around here somewhere - if I find it I'll pass it along.

My wife, who isn't gluten-free, has told me that Bragg's Amino Liquids are a very tasty replacement for a dark soy sauce, and I also use Kikkomans. It's mostly that asian black bean sauce I can't seem to find a decent GF version of, so if you do find that recipe it would be awesome. I have to dig through some more of my recipe links tomorrow during my down time and see if I can find the other sauces I couldn't seem to find a good GF version of.

Thanks again for the help! :D

• Like 1

--

--