Machete's Hierarchy of Needs: Physiology, Part 3

Machete

Foundation Re-reinforcement

157093640_70d1ed732b.jpg

Building up from my previous challenge, I continue my mission to get my shit together. Life feels out of hand, and if you're balancing this much crap on your rickshaw, you better first make sure that (1) your bike works, and (2) you can ride a bike. And so onward with life maintenance--a continuation of my previous challenge and the one before that.

SLEEP - I've noticed that it's pretty hard to make a dent on one end of the sleep equation, so I'm looking to make adjustments to the other end--the wake-up. Dr. Jeffrey Durmer from The Doc & Jock Podcast emphasized the importance of a wake-up routine. I'm looking to first establish a consistent wake-up time (possibly 0900) and something physical to do (perhaps a wall handstand or a Turkish Getup). I seem to have been oversleeping a little lately.

AIR - Headspace has a bunch of packs. I finished Foundation previously and now am looking into finishing 3 of the Sport packs. I'm thinking at hitting one either first thing in the morning, or right as I come back from work. I'm still not expecting much out of it; just building the habit and the skill.

FOOD - Family needs food as well. I got a whiteboard and will experiment with writing down the week's menu to eliminate decision-making.

Side Quest: Quadruple Bs

BJJ - 2-3 days

Barbell - Muscle Clean, Bench Press, Muscle Snatch, Squat

Bodyweight - Handstand, Straddle Planche, Manna, Front Lever, Arch Rocks, Tumbling

Bells - Armor Building, Long Cycles

• Like 3

Waking up earlier, but I'm still staying in bed to 10, because I'm forgetting my no social media in bed rule. I will be addressing this. Turkish Getups are doable, if I get up early enough. Handstands are not.

Meditation feels the same, but I seem to be able to find more time, seeing my log. We shall see.

I have not set up the whiteboard yet. Aiming for Sunday.

Taking a few breaks from BJJ to let my fingers, toes, and knees heal up a bit. GB Movement is moving right along. I'm looking to save up for a GB seminar in Denver sometime next year. Hip and shoulder pain still there, but I can Squat and Front Lever just fine. I'm looking to reset my RC and SLS just to re-build my joints.

• Like 5

Zero week was a bit of a speed bump, though I did find that I may function quite well with 7+ hours of sleep and not really need close to 9. Still haven't gotten around to the whiteboard, but I'll try to hit that once I get the groceries. Arch Rocks could be my morning exercise, just because of how simple they are and how much they suck.

On a good note I passed my USAPL Club Coach exam. Looking to get a comp done next year after I start focusing on strength again (as the priority right now is the IBJJF), though if finances permit I wouldn't be opposed to just doing a meet next month for the experience. Saw some Dragon Ball Z singlets on Amazon, and it's looking very tempting.

• Like 6

I'm kind of the same way, re: sleep. I like 9, but my body seems to have a hard time with anything past 7-7.5. Still, assuming an average REM cycle of 1.5 hours, 7+ still gets you five cycles, which isn't a bad result.

Also, you totally need to hit a PL meet in a DBZ singlet. For Reasons. Mostly because your psych up on the lift can be "Ka! Me! Ha! Me! HAAAAAAA" and that's when you lift.

Obviously, you being SFG, psych up isn't exactly SOP, but still!

• Like 1
On 8/14/2017 at 9:10 AM, Kishi said:

I'm kind of the same way, re: sleep. I like 9, but my body seems to have a hard time with anything past 7-7.5. Still, assuming an average REM cycle of 1.5 hours, 7+ still gets you five cycles, which isn't a bad result.

Also, you totally need to hit a PL meet in a DBZ singlet. For Reasons. Mostly because your psych up on the lift can be "Ka! Me! Ha! Me! HAAAAAAA" and that's when you lift.

Obviously, you being SFG, psych up isn't exactly SOP, but still!

I'll definitely check the legality of it. If I'm going to look ridiculous, I'm going to be extra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Busy week. Wasn't able to update much, so catch-up time:

Made 3 days of Headspace and missed 3. I have to do it tonight just so I'm over 50%.

Sleep has mostly been good--only 2 days waking up at 10, though I feel tired some days. I'll adjust accordingly.

Wrote down a menu that was followed for half the week, but I wasn't able to finish the other half. I'll have to work on that tomorrow.

HRV was low so my lifts were moved forward. My heart rate is also looking a bit high in the morning--I'm either constantly stressed, or my conditioning is sucking. I'll have to start a strength cycle and get a cardio sesh in once a week. Hip pain from May is still there, but it has affected my 4x10 Squats minimally. I might go for Front Squats for a while. Left shoulder pain still preventing One-arm Chin-up work.

I was able to get in a No Gi and Gi class at work. I'm having mixed feelings about whether I should give these little shits some leeway or just crush them to establish dominance. I'm the only colored belt in class; everyone else is either White or Black. IBJJF is coming, and I'm trying to train for that. I also kind of want to show them that this is not WWE. I usually just flow a bit and only turn it up when they try some douchey move.

MPNOQVMqwZ4TZ-ah8Ux7FtCRafwUKx3FWn5VoZss

• Like 2

As thou must with the younglings. Sometimes they need to play and figure things out, and sometimes they have to be shown the error of their ways. Sounds like a case by case thing.

Anyway, it sounds like the week's business got in the way of the challenge. As happens from time to time. Shake it off and get back to doing what you got to!

• Like 1
On 8/20/2017 at 11:18 AM, Kishi said:

As thou must with the younglings. Sometimes they need to play and figure things out, and sometimes they have to be shown the error of their ways. Sounds like a case by case thing.

Anyway, it sounds like the week's business got in the way of the challenge. As happens from time to time. Shake it off and get back to doing what you got to!

plUr2WC.gif

Tends to happen when a blue belt waltzes into class [late]. Anyway, I'll take it easy for another week before I start stepping on the gas. I'm still babying my ear.

So I don't know where the week went, but I apparently have missed Headspace for 3 days now. I've woken up reasonably early most days, and I guess I haven't been on the computer. Meals were on point this week, so I'll have to repeat whatever I just did tomorrow.

Looking to get a bit more focused with my training. I'm now 7 weeks out from IBJJF, and I'm looking to get some conditioning going and drop a few pounds. Last I checked I was at 143 lbs. on an average of 2'600 kcal a day; 145 Power Snatch, 175 Power Clean & Jerk, 265 Squat, 210 Bench, 350 Deadlift, 58-63 RHR, and 72-75 HRV. I'm looking to go down to Light Featherweight with a limit of 141 in a Gi, so I'm targeting about 137 BW. My lifting numbers are between "Regional" and "National" on the strength standards for Judo (by Kilgore), so I might just keep those at maintenance while I try to increase my laughable HRV to maybe close to 80. I'm thinking it's back to S&S and GB for this following week, especially since my joints have been cranky.

• Like 2

Man, that iron is magical. It just eats up all the energy you feed it. And people freak out when they see me doing All The Things and eating only 2000 calories a day. It's because the iron, man.

Gotta give credit to GB, though, it's been really good to the joints. If the goal is to prepare for tourney, particularly something that's going to try to tear those joints up, you're probably wise to worry over and prioritize their integrity.

Also, them numbers, tho.

• Like 1

Welp, I spent pretty much half the day yesterday writing out the rest of my 7-week program. Very time-consuming, and it again highlights to me how inefficient programming for myself is. But now I just have to follow the instructions and adjust daily volume as necessary.

Grocery and meals are on schedule today. I'll maybe get a walk in, since the GB week starts on Mondays.I think I'm finally starting to figure out the free-standing handstand.

20ae684a5e0148de96633bd8329611475db54f0a

• Like 3
On 8/13/2017 at 10:33 PM, Machete said:

Saw some Dragon Ball Z singlets on Amazon, and it's looking very tempting.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:10 PM, Machete said:

I'll definitely check the legality of it. If I'm going to look ridiculous, I'm going to be extra.

When I did my USAPL meet (which is already over 2 years ago now), they wouldn't have allowed it. They were pretty strict on the following USAPL rules. 

Rules state that it must be from "Approved List of Apparel and Equipment for Use at IPF Competitions". Here's the approved retailers. http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/ipf/data/rules/approved-list/NEW_IPF_Approved_List_17-07-2017.pdf

All that said, I've heard that smaller meets are sometimes way more lax about that stuff. So maybe just ask the guys running it.

• Like 1

Daily Log ]

On 8/28/2017 at 3:44 PM, Rooks said:

When I did my USAPL meet (which is already over 2 years ago now), they wouldn't have allowed it. They were pretty strict on the following USAPL rules. 

Rules state that it must be from "Approved List of Apparel and Equipment for Use at IPF Competitions". Here's the approved retailers. http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/ipf/data/rules/approved-list/NEW_IPF_Approved_List_17-07-2017.pdf

All that said, I've heard that smaller meets are sometimes way more lax about that stuff. So maybe just ask the guys running it.

ovn_Zk.gif

I read the approved list. I'm sorry, I thought this was AMERICA. Haha

How'd you do on that meet, by the way? I'm thinking of getting a local one in next year and just focusing on getting 9/9.

2 hours ago, Machete said:

I read the approved list. I'm sorry, I thought this was AMERICA. Haha

Yeah. The singlet thing bugged me. I could have gotten some crazy ass designed one for like $40, but instead I spent (I think $75) on a SBD Singlet that is just black. Lame..

2 hours ago, Machete said:

How'd you do on that meet, by the way? I'm thinking of getting a local one in next year and just focusing on getting 9/9.

Went fine. I went in with super light openers (tripled them all in my final workout pre-meet) and made pretty big jumps. I went 8/9 with 2 mistakes. I wanted a 275 bench to my name so I made too big of a jump on my 3rd bench even though I knew I wasn't going to make it. That failure, in turn, led me to be too caution on my 3rd Deadlift. Felt like I smoked the 200kg and might have been able to get a 205 or a 210. 

If you are looking to burn 4 minutes, here's a 4 minute recap (my dad doesn't move so well so when people get in the way, he's not getting the shot).

Spoiler

• Like 2

Daily Log ]

On 8/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, Rooks said:

Yeah. The singlet thing bugged me. I could have gotten some crazy ass designed one for like $40, but instead I spent (I think $75) on a SBD Singlet that is just black. Lame..

Went fine. I went in with super light openers (tripled them all in my final workout pre-meet) and made pretty big jumps. I went 8/9 with 2 mistakes. I wanted a 275 bench to my name so I made too big of a jump on my 3rd bench even though I knew I wasn't going to make it. That failure, in turn, led me to be too caution on my 3rd Deadlift. Felt like I smoked the 200kg and might have been able to get a 205 or a 210. 

If you are looking to burn 4 minutes, here's a 4 minute recap (my dad doesn't move so well so when people get in the way, he's not getting the shot).

Reveal hidden contents

Nice. I was waiting for you to pull it off like Kurt Angle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty shitty couple of days. My two solid meals yesterday was instant noodles, and today they were protein bars. Just feeling meh. It's probably the caloric deficit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Man, that sucks. Caloric deficit never seems like a big deal - just numbers on a sheet - until you have to live it out. Then? Oooh.

Are you cutting for that tournament? 

Yeah, mostly to settle into the higher end of the weight class rather than go the next one up and be outweighed by a lot. I'll check in the next 2 weeks whether I should continue or just compete up.

• Like 1

Down to 140, but shoulder is injured. Might be the spike in volume, or the added stress of cutting (and instant noodles), or both. Either way, I'll give it a few days, then it's off to the doc. Hopefully IBJJF will still be on.

Right as I hit my 100th session at Blue too... Sonovoabitch...

Cutting is the suckiest part of competing in bjj (or judo, or wrestling for that matter). I fought in both u70kg and u77kg and my experience is that unfortunately the size differential can get quite big if u are just "bumping up" and u meet someone who has been cutting. But good luck nonetheless!

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

On 9/1/2017 at 2:40 PM, Kishi said:

Aw, man. Not cool. :( These cuts are no joke. They make healing harder, especially on top of training.

Here's hoping for the best!

On 9/1/2017 at 4:04 PM, godjira1 said:

Cutting is the suckiest part of competing in bjj (or judo, or wrestling for that matter). I fought in both u70kg and u77kg and my experience is that unfortunately the size differential can get quite big if u are just "bumping up" and u meet someone who has been cutting. But good luck nonetheless!

Personally I don't mind it. Meal prepping with a family just blows. I'm pretty good at cutting (and was especially good at dehydrating); it's that damn day-of-the-event anxiety that never went away. I usually compete in the 129-139 range, though I occasionally get bumped up (because adults rarely weight this little) and those time I seem to do better. It could be that I have trouble with quick, little guys and I can out-muscle a lot of bigger guys (because I play a big guy game), or it could be nothing at all and the little guys I happen to face are just really good. I tried experimenting with it, but haven't had much data to work with--I was facing a very limited number of people. I do know that the 180 division becomes too much to match force-on-force with and gets me really tired fast, so Absolutes might be out of the question.

I don't know. There's always next year.

• Like 1

This shoulder bullshit is really messing with me. Missed 4 days of Headspace last week, and I've neglected my cooking. Work gets difficult as well, and I'm oversleeping.

However on a positive note, Front Lever and Straddle Planche seem mostly unaffected, and Handstand work is doable as long as I don't have to Pirouette out. I'll have to check with the other elements. Rope Climb is painful. If I hit my Tuck Planche mastery F2 will be complete (and I can technically get started on Rings).

• Like 1

I can respect how that would happen. SFG philosophy is great about preventing injury but it kind of seems to snarl up when you actually get injured. At least, that's been my experience.

I hope the pain subsides soon, and in the meantime I'm glad to hear that the bodyweight stuff is still your friend. In the meantime, it's a new day.

• Like 1