Deathbyshiny starts a new game!

deathbyshiny

School starts in less than a month, and I am freaking out! I need to solidify a good routine that is rigid enough that I see progress, but flexible enough to keep me from melting into a puddle of anxiety at the end of my day. It's going to be difficult, and I am going to have to push myself harder this month than I did last month, but I can do it. And since I'm currently obsessed with Slime Rancher (again, such a great game!), I'm going to be using these cuties for some motivation!

4f890f7e78284649cdb6ddb2a1c8efd1.png

1. Although Puddle Slimes are super cute, I want to keep myself from melting into a puddle of anxiety. 

5987b93272a91_PuddleSlime.png.fb0da0291ee229afd5233c466ed86db2.png

This means keeping myself focused and stopping myself from overworking as I prep for the school year. I have a tendency to push through even when I think I might need a break, so I need to make sure I take those breaks when I need them. I also need to make sure I don't procrastinate and push my work off too long. 

2. Tarrs eat everything in sight. I don't want to be a Tarr.

Tarr.jpg.696228fd083946347052348e541714cd.jpg

I just need to continue to work on my eating habits. I need to eat better, eat smarter, and stop eating so late. This will be the most difficult, since my days are usually messed up when school is in session. 

3. Gold Slimes are pretty athletic, since they can run away so quickly! 

5987b93d1e862_GoldSlime.jpg.88fd02b48238ad20b6800b67b18e7940.jpg

I need to continue the exercise routine I've set up for myself. So far, so good. 5x a week on the bike, walking more than that if I can. The walking part will definitely be easier once it starts getting cooler. 

I am totally pumped. I am so ready to do this and make myself better. I am also going to work on checking this forum again. (I keep saying it, but I am going to put it down as a task in my bullet journal so I see it every day instead of just mehing and not checking anything!)

• Like 10

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

Those slimes are so adorable!!! *adds to wishlist*

I don't know what your schedule looks like for school, but what helped me was planning out meal break times. It got me to take breaks and eat at a fairly reasonable time (and just to eat in general, if I had a bunch of stuff going on I'd just plain forget to eat, realize what happened when I'm getting ready for bed, and then said screw it, I'll just eat in the morning, and then be running late in the morning and not have time for breakfast...).

Good luck!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

42 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Those slimes are so adorable!!! *adds to wishlist*

I don't know what your schedule looks like for school, but what helped me was planning out meal break times. It got me to take breaks and eat at a fairly reasonable time (and just to eat in general, if I had a bunch of stuff going on I'd just plain forget to eat, realize what happened when I'm getting ready for bed, and then said screw it, I'll just eat in the morning, and then be running late in the morning and not have time for breakfast...).

Good luck!

(Slime Rancher is the best thing ever. It was free on XBox One for a little bit, and I don't know if it still is, but I have it on PC and I love it!)

Thanks!

I would love to do that once school starts, but unfortunately, as a teacher, I'm kind of stuck with whatever schedule they give me, and I won't know until the week school starts! (I haaaate it!) I'd have to eat breakfast before 7ish, and if I get stuck with the last lunch period, I can't eat again until after noon. Similarly, if I end up with first lunch, it's around 10:30. So I figure if I come up with a way to be flexible, then when I get that schedule, I can adjust easier.

I am pretty good at making my lunches ahead of time, but I am going to work on making breakfasts ahead of time, so I don't skip it in the morning.

• Like 6

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset

Okay I have never heard of Slime Rancher before but those are completely adorable.

My partner does a thing with breakfast where they measure out the oatmeal the night before and have the scoop full of oats right next to the pot on the stove, and have a bowl sitting next to it with the right amount of walnuts and flax seed (which they mix into the oatmeal). So when they wake up all they have to do it add a cup of water and turn on the burner, and then the oatmeal cooks while they're getting ready. They like this a lot better than dealing with overnight oats. They also portion out a set amount of greek yoghurt and add some berries and stick it in the fridge in a tupperware, so in the morning they can just pull it out and grab a spoon.

Personally I would go insane eating the same breakfast every day but it works for them.

Your goals look great, I think. A little curious about your food strategy since your food goal sounds really open ended. When you say you need to keep working on it and eat better, what does that mean?

What grade level/subjects do you teach? I always loved back-to-school and I am a little jealous of teachers for getting to feel that excitement (and stress) every year even once they're working :)

• Like 4

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
10 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

(Slime Rancher is the best thing ever. It was free on XBox One for a little bit, and I don't know if it still is, but I have it on PC and I love it!)

I don't have an XBox One (we went with the PS4, but I did download the demo on Steam.

10 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

I would love to do that once school starts, but unfortunately, as a teacher, I'm kind of stuck with whatever schedule they give me, and I won't know until the week school starts! (I haaaate it!) I'd have to eat breakfast before 7ish, and if I get stuck with the last lunch period, I can't eat again until after noon. Similarly, if I end up with first lunch, it's around 10:30. So I figure if I come up with a way to be flexible, then when I get that schedule, I can adjust easier.

Having the first lunch period suuuucks (for us it was 10am). High school me would get fast food with friends after school, and then eat dinner with parents a couple of hours later... No wonder I gained quite a bit of weight that year...

8 hours ago, Severine said:

My partner does a thing with breakfast where they measure out the oatmeal the night before and have the scoop full of oats right next to the pot on the stove, and have a bowl sitting next to it with the right amount of walnuts and flax seed (which they mix into the oatmeal). So when they wake up all they have to do it add a cup of water and turn on the burner, and then the oatmeal cooks while they're getting ready. They like this a lot better than dealing with overnight oats.

How is that better than dealing with overnight oats....? (Ok, I might be a bit biased here since I love overnight oats, but I can barely stand the texture of regular oatmeal. :P)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

How is that better than dealing with overnight oats....? (Ok, I might be a bit biased here since I love overnight oats, but I can barely stand the texture of regular oatmeal. :P)

I think the rationale is that the overnight oats need the slow cooker so it's another appliance to deal with and wash. But yeah they like the texture of oatmeal so I think that changes things :)

Oatmeal doesn't bother me (I like it) but when I dislike a food it's almost always for texture reasons (avocado, softshell crab, etc.) so I definitely feel you!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
5 hours ago, Severine said:

I think the rationale is that the overnight oats need the slow cooker so it's another appliance to deal with and wash. But yeah they like the texture of oatmeal so I think that changes things :)

But... the point of overnight oats is that you don't have to cook them at all? They just soak in liquid overnight and soften up that way. It's actually fewer dishes because you can set them up in the bowl (or mason jar) you're going to eat them out of. 

@deathbyshiny your goals look really good! What does "eating better and smarter" look like for you? Even if you don't want to get too specific with your goals, it might help to have a baseline of how you're eating now that you can measure against for future meals. (I learned this the hard way with my failed food challenge last time.) 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Severine said:

What @Wobbegong said. You just put everything in a container and let it sit overnight. It's really convenient cause if you don't have time to eat, you can just grab the container and take it with you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

But... the point of overnight oats is that you don't have to cook them at all? They just soak in liquid overnight and soften up that way. It's actually fewer dishes because you can set them up in the bowl (or mason jar) you're going to eat them out of.  

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

What @Wobbegong said. You just put everything in a container and let it sit overnight. It's really convenient cause if you don't have time to eat, you can just grab the container and take it with you.

Huh but isn't it cold then?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Severine said:

Huh but isn't it cold then?

Yes. In fact, usually quite cold, if you leave it in the refrigerator overnight like I do. (I make mine in milk and am not comfortable leaving that out on the counter overnight.) 

If cold-oats is a deal breaker, then overnight oats are definitely not for you. Or... for your partner, as the case may be. 

• Like 2

I have a new school year that I'm facing off with as well. At least this year I won't be in  a single classroom so I won't have that to be responsible. However, I will be all over the district so I don't know where I will be from day to day. I have considered Intermittent Fasting and read the guide the other day on NF. However, I get HANGRY and don't know if that is a good idea :) 

Good luck with the new school year!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: --> Spring 2020

"How long do you try? Until"– Jim Rohn

NF Level 10

Thanks for the replies everyone! :D Slime Rancher is SO MUCH FUN. I just wish it would come out for PS4. 

Re: The breakfast/Food comments
I left it vague, as I always do, because I am the WORST person when it comes to specific goals. If I say "I'm going to track my eating and cut x y z" I won't do any of that because the thought of following it will make my skin crawl and my anxiety flare.

The basic plan is to eat more fruits, vegetables, and proteins while cutting some carbs. The most specific I can get with this without freaking out is to 1. Stop buying bread. 2. Stop buying chips. 3. Buy more fruits and vegetables.

As for breakfast, I am going to make egg-muffins. I've done it before, and it's SO easy. It's pretty much just scrambled eggs for a base, add some mix-ins, and bake them in a muffin tin. Crumbled bacon, spinach, a little cheese. Stuff like that. That way I can make 1-3 weeks worth, freeze some, then just defrost them the night before work. I can pop them in the microwave as I gather my things, and eat them on the way to work, or bring them to work and pop them in the microwave there. It also means I won't need any bread or oatmeal or anything. 

On 8/7/2017 at 0:37 AM, Severine said:

What grade level/subjects do you teach? I always loved back-to-school and I am a little jealous of teachers for getting to feel that excitement (and stress) every year even once they're working :)

I teach high school English and Creative Writing. I am feeling more stress than excitement right now, but I am also working a little bit each day, so I can be as prepared as possible when the first day rolls around!

On 8/7/2017 at 7:50 AM, Vibrantella said:

Breakfast on the run - a bunch of hard boiled eggs in the fridge?

I do love me some hard boiled eggs. :D I'd probably make some and pack them as a "oh crap my stomach is making loud noises and I need to teach!!!" snack.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:07 PM, WantMy$2 said:

I have a new school year that I'm facing off with as well. At least this year I won't be in  a single classroom so I won't have that to be responsible. However, I will be all over the district so I don't know where I will be from day to day. I have considered Intermittent Fasting and read the guide the other day on NF. However, I get HANGRY and don't know if that is a good idea :) 

Good luck with the new school year!

Thanks! You too! (I also get super HANGRY, so that's why I'm trying to discipline myself now, so I can try to sneak a handful of almonds or something during passing time if I need it!)

• Like 7

It's been a crazy week! My mom's been pretty sick, so I've been trying to help her out while still getting stuff ready for school to start in about a week. AAAAAH.

I am still doing my exercise 5x a week, which is awesome. And when I was out with my mom today, and we had to pick up lunch, I grabbed a salad from Panera instead of my usual grilled cheese and tomato soup.

I also got these awesome color by number books that are these geometrical shapes you color in until the picture forms and I LOVE THEM. Totally keeping me calm as I prepare for school.

I can do this. :D

• Like 6

Not knowing when my lunch would be for an entire year would drive me crazy, yikes! I was going to suggest overnight oats and eggy breakfast things, but it looks like you've got the covered. :)

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hope everything's going well with both school and your mom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Thanks! <3 I am alive! School started and everything has been a whirlwind! I ended up with the second best lunch for the entire year, so I can't complain. 

The breakfast eggie things work really well. I just mixed a dozen eggs, some bacon, some spinach and some cheese, baked them in a 12 muffin tin, and had one every day. It's awesome because I freeze the ones I am not using that week, so I end up with 2ish weeks worth of breakfasts in one go. :D I also had a cup of fruit (some days with breakfast, some days with lunch) and a salad every day for lunch. I still need to get used to my schedule though because aside from having a good lunch period, the rest of my day is kind of sucky. I end up being a little hungry, but not too badly. So I think I'm going to buy some almonds and pack those up in my desk in case I need something to settle my tummy rumbles.

I've also been using my exercise bike 5 days a week. I'm definitely feeling better and more energized, so now I just need to work on lowering some of my weight. 

Overall it's going well! I just SUCK at posting!

• Like 5

Great breakfast hack, glad it's going well.
Almonds are a healthy snack, I like to mix them with other nuts like macadamias and Brazils for even more nutrition (and taste)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

9 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

Overall it's going well!

Glad to hear it is going so well! :D

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

13 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

Overall it's going well!

Woohoo!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I still can't get over how cute your slimey things are. How'd the challenge turn out?

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi