Mikroftt's Madness

Mikroftt

So I know it has been a while since I have posted.  There has been some stuff going on but mostly working out at work during lunch with my co-workers.  So the level of accountability has been pretty good.  However, I felt that I needed to reconnect with this community because of all the great ideas and encouragement that everyone provides!  So let's see if I remember how to do this:

Fitness Update:

Currently I am training for 2 things in September.  The first of which will coincide with the end of this challenge!  September 9th I am running a Spartan Super race.  It will be my second Spartan race and 4th obstacle race.  I am really looking forward to it since 2015 was the last Spartan race I have done and I loved it.  I am doing it in Michigan so if any of my fellow assassins or rebels in general are going to be there, let me know!  The second thing I am training for is a half marathon.  I did the race last year with my coworker and we are signed up to do it again this year.  The nice part is our work is paying for the entry so all we have to do is train for it.  I am feeling like I have run more in preparation than I did last year so that is a positive.  How am I going to achieve these goals you ask?

1. Master Class 2.0

For those of you that have done the You Are Your Own Gym program before you will be familiar with the program hopefully.  I have actually done this one 2x before (once in 2015 and once this past spring).  However, I am stepping it up a little this time through the program.  I have condensed the program a bit so there are less rest days in between so that I will finish it a week before the Spartan race.  So currently I am on Week 6 Day 1 today and I will complete Week 7 Day 2 on Saturday this week.  Sundays I have been taking off.  So far I have not noticed any side effects from doing things this way.  Most weeks I end up combining 2 of the workouts in the same day so I end up getting 2 days off (usually abs and pull happen together).  So the goal for this challenge will be to complete the remaining 24 workouts (starting today).

Complete: 0/24

2. Run for Fun!

I know some of you will say that run and fun do not belong in the same sentence but I have been enjoying running recently.  I think there are 2 things that have helped me.  First, I have recruited my wife!  She is part of the Hogwarts Running Club and has been following them for a while.  Last year I got her to do a color run with me.  We didn't train as much for that one so we ended up doing a run/walk for the 5K but made it through.  This year, we are doing a little more of a stretch goal and aiming for a 10K.  Last week she was able to complete a 5K without walking!  The race is at the end of September so we have a little bit to go before the race but I think we will make it.  Right now the goal is to run 3x per week with her.    

Complete: 0/15 (Including this week)

3. Yoga Time

I have been trying to incorporate more yoga into my routine mostly for the stretching aspect.  So in the mornings I am trying to get up before work and do some yoga.  Last week, I was aiming for more consistent sleep so I skipped out on the yoga (except for Saturday), but I would like to make it more consistent than that.  So my goal is to complete 5 yoga session per week.  For those of you wondering, yes it will be using the NerdFitness Yoga videos!

Complete: 0/25

4. Eat all the (right) things!

I have been doing a better job recently of cleaning up my diet.  It is not super clean but it is getting there.  The next big hurdle for me is eliminating late night snacking.  I have a tendency to eat really well at lunch (I pack my own for work).  Dinner is usually also decent, but then comes the 9 o'clock munchies...  Usually it happens while we are watching a movie, Netflix, or TV show.  It wouldn't be bad if I have a greek yogurt or something healthy but at that time of night, we all know what kind of things are consumed.  So my goal for this challenge will be to only eat healthy snacks, if any at all, past 8PM.

Complete: 0/28

• Like 2

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

Push Day today completed.  Did the Forearm Workout before hand.  Definitely did not make it thought the whole workout without breaks.  I figured adding this in once or twice a week will help when it comes to the grip strength for obstacles at Spartan.  Chicken chili for lunch with celery as scoops for eating the chili.  Got a work meeting and then afternoon snack of double protein english muffin with triple zero greek yogurt.  Such a delicious snack!

• Like 2

Yesterday I was off from work, so I didn't get a chance to post.  Leg workout completed and then did 3 hill repeats with the wife.  So 2 boxes checked in one evening of "fun".  Hill repeats were not as bad as I was anticipating them to be.  Today will be a pull day with the forearm workout after.  Some how I think I will need the grip strength to make it though the workout first.

One workout left this week for YAYOG!  Combined push with core.  Plan is to do the leg on tomorrow and then have Saturday and Sunday off.  Planning on taking the wife on a day trip Saturday and Sunday is the normal day off.  Also going to run tonight at somepoint.  Still need to work on this yoga thing...

6/6 on the workouts for last week!  Started off this week strong with a run last night and workout at lunch today!  Took the wife on a day trip Saturday which was a lot of fun, but tiring.  Still got some mowing and stretching to do tonight but should be a good step and workout day!

So in light of the mini challenge, I am thinking of expanding the 3rd goal a little.  Instead of just focusing on yoga, I am going to count it as all flexibility training.  For instance, this morning I got up and did some GMB Elements movements.  Granted I would still like to do more yoga, but all of it counts toward the same goal for the mini.   Lunch workout complete today as well.  

#1: 2/2 - for this week

#2: 1/3 -  complete (hopefully second tonight)

#3: 1/5  -  could say 2/5 with last night stretching during ANW but that wasn't that much

#4: 2/7 -  Small snack of popcorn last night.  Eating a late dinner helped curb the snacking a bit.

Week wrap up:

YAYOG: 5/6

Mobility: 5/5

Running: 2/3

Snacking: 6/7

While the week doesn't look that bad by the numbers, I feel like it was a train wreck...  I think part of it might be the mental "funk" I am in right now but this weekend was rough for motivation.  It got to the point last night where my wife wanted to run and I didn't.  I am not sure what it is but I need some kind of jump start to get motivated again...

Week 2 Wrap:

YAYOG: 6/6 plus finished the last one from last week

Mobility: 5/5

Running: 2/3

Snacking: 7/7

Pretty good week overall.  The long run on Saturday was a bit painful.  Literally.  I did the first 3.6 with my wife and then went out for an additional 10 on my own.  I got to mile 7 of the 10 and my knee was in pain.  I haven't had issues with it before so it was a little disturbing to have some pain.  I had to jog/walk the last 3 miles home.  I was on the verge of tears a couple times, but made it home.  Did some ice and compression on and off the rest of the day and it is feeling pretty good now.  We will see with the lunch workout how things go.