• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Akira Kurusu

Any Indians here?

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Coco P Loco said:

In India, but I'm over in Mumbai...


Ah. I had gone to Mumbai for an interview last month. Has a lovely air to it. Were you born there? I've been struggling to get my diet in order since Indian food is so heavy on rice and bread. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from England, but moved here 10 years ago. I get around the rice and bread by cooking most of my own food, and eating lots of dal and salads too, which are filling.

Where are you from originally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coco P Loco said:

I'm from England, but moved here 10 years ago. I get around the rice and bread by cooking most of my own food, and eating lots of dal and salads too, which are filling.

Where are you from originally?


Wow, what part of England? The adjustment to climate must have been rough. I'm starting to learn a bit of cooking too. Have to, if I need to get anywhere with my diet xD. 

I was born and brought up in Hyderabad. And as a Hyderabadi, it's really hard to resist Biryani. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from a town called Nuneaton, which is in Warwickshire, right in the middle of England. It rains for most of the year and is cold, which I don't do well with. I've adjusted pretty well to the Mumbai climate over the last few years, but the heat and humidity in May and October are killer. I do best right now during the monsoon, and in 'winter' from December to February. 

I hear that the Hyderabadi Biryani is to die for! But will play havoc with a healthy eating plan... To be saved for special occasions only! :D

 

As for Indian cooking, I can various basic dishes. I learnt a lot from YouTube, a few cookbooks, my sister-in-law, and a Punjabi neighbour. I find I can make healthier versions of many dishes without impacting the taste too much. 

 

I've never been to either Hyderabad or Bangalore. Apart from Biryani, what's the rest of the food like there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s not the same but my parents are from Bangalore; I grew up in Canada. Up until I was an adult we used to go back every other year though, so LET ME TELL YOU food there is the bomb dot com.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

I know it’s not the same but my parents are from Bangalore; I grew up in Canada. Up until I was an adult we used to go back every other year though, so LET ME TELL YOU food there is the bomb dot com.

I love Indian food and it's so varied compared to what you get in the average Indian restaurant in the UK, which typically serve Punjabi dishes.

I had idli, sambar and coconut chutney today :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 0:07 AM, Coco P Loco said:

I'm from a town called Nuneaton, which is in Warwickshire, right in the middle of England. It rains for most of the year and is cold, which I don't do well with. I've adjusted pretty well to the Mumbai climate over the last few years, but the heat and humidity in May and October are killer. I do best right now during the monsoon, and in 'winter' from December to February. 

I hear that the Hyderabadi Biryani is to die for! But will play havoc with a healthy eating plan... To be saved for special occasions only! :D

 

As for Indian cooking, I can various basic dishes. I learnt a lot from YouTube, a few cookbooks, my sister-in-law, and a Punjabi neighbour. I find I can make healthier versions of many dishes without impacting the taste too much. 

 

I've never been to either Hyderabad or Bangalore. Apart from Biryani, what's the rest of the food like there? 


Nice. What made you move to India? Was it the marriage? Hyderabadi food is usually on the spicier side. Lots of Islam influence since this was a Nawabi area. Best is during Ramazan when you have Haleem and all other food on the street :D. 

 

 

On 8/12/2017 at 1:37 AM, Plazmotic said:

I know it’s not the same but my parents are from Bangalore; I grew up in Canada. Up until I was an adult we used to go back every other year though, so LET ME TELL YOU food there is the bomb dot com.


Ohh, are your parents Indians? Or did they just live in India? That sucks that you don't visit Bangalore anymore. I'm mostly gonna go back there in 2 months. Could have bumped into each other :P. Yep the food is amazing. I can't imagine the life of a vegan in India doe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akira Kurusu said:


Nice. What made you move to India? Was it the marriage? Hyderabadi food is usually on the spicier side. Lots of Islam influence since this was a Nawabi area. Best is during Ramazan when you have Haleem and all other food on the street :D. 
 

 

I came here for work and ended up getting married and sticking around...

I'm not so good with the really spicy foods, and whilst I eat a bit of chicken every now and then (I love tandoori chicken and a really good chicken biryani), I'm mainly vegetarian!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 5:47 AM, Akira Kurusu said:

Ohh, are your parents Indians? Or did they just live in India? That sucks that you don't visit Bangalore anymore.

Yep my parents are Indian, left when they were in their twenties. I visited so much when I was younger because all my immediate family was still there, but it became so much harder when we were all adults with other obligations like work and university. It’s been almost 10 years since I was last there! But my parents have gone back on their own every few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now