Maigahane Comes Back Swinging

Maigs

I took last challenge off for a much needed reset. I still kept up with my RAGErs but only quietly stalked challenges on NF. But I did not slack on my goals! Here's what's happened in the last month-ish:

• Warrior Dash with Hubs - I'll share a couple of pics later
  • 25 mile bike ride for a charity event - I didn't die at all, though I was remembered by the organizer for almost dying last year in the 105F heat index
  • Ridiculous amounts of walking in ridiculously high temperatures. I somehow managed to acclimate to 95F+ temperatures when before I've always gotten really whiny about anything above 85F. I had a few weeks of averaging 13k steps a day
  • I finally broke through my 8 month weight loss plateau
  • I finally reached the tentative goal weight I set for myself when I was at my heaviest 5 years ago. I jumped up a tad right after hitting it but I'm now on day four in a row of being under that number. I've lost almost 65lbs moving from the "obese" BMI range down to the "normal" range
  • After realizing my work pants were comically large I ordered a couple of pairs in the next size down....and they're too big too. So I need to order the next size down
  • I searched high and low and can't find my measuring tape anywhere so I can't record new measurements :(
  • I did a week trial at a gym that offers some fun group classes AND has obstacles outside to train on. A frames, monkey bars, and tires for carrying or flipping
  • I like the gym so much I joined once the week trial was done
  • I might have fallen in love with kickboxing. I've done 3 classes so far so it might be a short-lived lust, but right now I can't wait to get back

So what's in store for this challenge?

• KICKBOXING! And other classes. I'm trying to check out all the class options to see what are my favorites and which instructors I like best. So far kickboxing, FIRE (freaking intense resistance exercises), and spin are my favorite classes with HIIT, TRX, and yoga being not-so-fun. I'm still going to give them some more chances though
  • Mudzilla - a local 5k mudrun that I really enjoyed last year. It's at a ski resort so lots of hills that kill me. My new gym has a hill that would be great practice so I need to commit to doing some hill repeats there
  • Rugged Maniac - a national 5k mudrun that I'll be running when we're visiting family/friends over Labor Day weekend. So far I haven't had anyone commit to running it with me which is disappointing but I'm used to running these solo anyway
  • Did I mention that visiting family/friends involves 20+ hours in the car over a long weekend?
  • Buying a damn measuring tape so I can get new measurements
  • Like 8

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

It turns out you've been quietly kicking some major ass while you were away! Awesome work. Good to see you back here and I hope you come back in refreshed and full of vigour!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Thanks Jon! I definitely needed the break and reset. I was getting too much into my own head about the lack of progress.

Unfortunately it also reset my ranger brain and now I want to try running again now that it's cooled down drastically (highs in the 70F's!) and I want to get back into lifting now that I have a gym with actual squat and bench racks. But I want to take all the group classes. I know it's unrealistic to do two 1-hour classes everyday but how else can I get in all the kickboxing while still doing the other classes I like? Oh, and of course playing on the obstacles and flipping tires :P

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

KICKBOXING! And other classes. I'm trying to check out all the class options to see what are my favorites and which instructors I like best. So far kickboxing, FIRE (freaking intense resistance exercises), and spin are my favorite classes with HIIT, TRX, and yoga being not-so-fun. I'm still going to give them some more chances though

I looove kickboxing too.  Nothing like having a really bad (or really great) day and getting to punch the crap out of it!  Though they offer in at my Y the same days as body pump...so I'm often conflicted.  Happy gyming and good luck with your challenge!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

swing lizard tarzan swinging GIF

Great to have you back! Well done on all your wins during your break.

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Thanks Jon! I definitely needed the break and reset. I was getting too much into my own head about the lack of progress.

Unfortunately it also reset my ranger brain and now I want to try running again now that it's cooled down drastically (highs in the 70F's!) and I want to get back into lifting now that I have a gym with actual squat and bench racks. But I want to take all the group classes. I know it's unrealistic to do two 1-hour classes everyday but how else can I get in all the kickboxing while still doing the other classes I like? Oh, and of course playing on the obstacles and flipping tires :P

I know exactly how that feels.  I would love to spend about 3 hours a day lifting, yoga-ing, and doing cardio.  Sadly, I have to work and like, not neglect my children.  It's very rude, I think, of life to not accommodate my many interests.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

2 hours ago, Stribs said:

I looove kickboxing too.  Nothing like having a really bad (or really great) day and getting to punch the crap out of it!  Though they offer in at my Y the same days as body pump...so I'm often conflicted.  Happy gyming and good luck with your challenge!!

Welcome! Kickboxing is so much fun. I didn't think it would really be my thing but I enjoyed my first class so much I went out and bought my own gloves, and I'm normally too cheap for that kind of impulse decision. Btw, you puppers is adorable!

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Great to have you back! Well done on all your wins during your break.

Glad you have you back CQ! It was a surprisingly win-full break

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I know exactly how that feels.  I would love to spend about 3 hours a day lifting, yoga-ing, and doing cardio.  Sadly, I have to work and like, not neglect my children.  It's very rude, I think, of life to not accommodate my many interests.

Damn life obligations getting in the way! I don't have kids but Hubs and the various Floofs would be sad if I neglected them for the gym.

The Rugged Maniac I'm doing is actually in your neck of the woods *hinthint*

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

Welcome! Kickboxing is so much fun. I didn't think it would really be my thing but I enjoyed my first class so much I went out and bought my own gloves, and I'm normally too cheap for that kind of impulse decision. Btw, you puppers is adorable!

I really should buy my own because putting on the latex gloves again and again (to protect other users from my sweaty hands) is getting to be a hassle.  And thanks, she's a derp, but she's my derp. :) 

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Subb'd! You've been kicking a$$ in the last month! Those 5ks coming up look like a blast!!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

The Rugged Maniac I'm doing is actually in your neck of the woods *hinthint*

Sadly, I couldn't participate.  Aside from not being able to squeeze it into the schedule, I can't run.  I have fallen arches and I've been through two bouts of plantar fasciitis, and I'm terrified of ever getting it again.  So no running for me.  Which is very sad, because I'm one of those sickos who actually enjoys running.  Ah well.  I hope you have fun with it!

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

33 minutes ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

Subb'd! You've been kicking a$$ in the last month! Those 5ks coming up look like a blast!!

Thanks! I"m really looking forward to Mudzilla. My goal this year is to not have a volunteer ask if I need a ride :) Last year my dumb ass ran up a hill (which I absolutely could not do yet) and had such a hard time catching my breath after that I apparently made someone wonder if I was gonna make it

25 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Sadly, I couldn't participate.  Aside from not being able to squeeze it into the schedule, I can't run.  I have fallen arches and I've been through two bouts of plantar fasciitis, and I'm terrified of ever getting it again.  So no running for me.  Which is very sad, because I'm one of those sickos who actually enjoys running.  Ah well.  I hope you have fun with it!

Ugh! PF, the bane of my existence. Last year I managed to let it get so bad I could barely walk. It snuck up on me and I didn't realize how bad it was until I put on my old shoes to do some painting and all of a sudden my heel didn't hurt! It's still not 100% but I bought one of these PF sleeves and Sole brand inserts for my shoes and as long as I wear those 90% of the time I'm wearing shoes I have no pain even without shoes

Just now, Maigahane said:

as long as I wear those 90% of the time I'm wearing shoes I have no pain even without shoes

Yep.  I have custom orthotics and I wear my shoes pretty much constantly.  Maybe, someday, when I get my weight down, I might try a little running again.  For now, I'm just happy that I can walk around without being in constant pain.

But I can't wait to see pics of the Rugged!  It sounds like a great time!

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

13 hours ago, Cheetah said:

But I can't wait to see pics of the Rugged!  It sounds like a great time!

Hopefully they get some good ones. That's one thing about the local runs I like doing, they don't do as good of a job of getting good shots as the big chain ones. Tapatalk on my phone refuses to connect to the NF forums since the weekend's upgrade but once I can I'll post a couple of my Warrior Dash photos that were awesome. It's funny, my favorite pictures of me are when I'm covered in mud (see my profile picture)

5 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Hopefully they get some good ones. That's one thing about the local runs I like doing, they don't do as good of a job of getting good shots as the big chain ones. Tapatalk on my phone refuses to connect to the NF forums since the weekend's upgrade but once I can I'll post a couple of my Warrior Dash photos that were awesome. It's funny, my favorite pictures of me are when I'm covered in mud (see my profile picture)

I never could get the hang of tapatalk.  I do my foruming on a desktop terminal, mostly when I'm at "work"  Shh, don't tell.  It does make it a pain to upload a pic from my phone, though.

KBO. - Churchill

Week Zero - Monday

I had a wonderful Monday. I took a half day at work and got lots of stuff off my to-do list including some meal prep. I ate wonderfully (1400 cals, would have eaten more but just wasn't hungry) and went to kickboxing (I'm going to call it KBX from now on since it's faster). This is the third KBX instructor I've tried and probably my least favorite. I still enjoyed the class but just not as much.

I had planned on doing FIRE today but it's another class time I haven't tried out and I'm not sure who the instructor is so I decided to go with my tried and true Tuesday night spin class that I know I like. You know, spread out the unknown classes with the ones I know I like. I also need to do some major cleaning tonight. We are now hosting our Wednesday night game night and need to get in the habit of cleaning the house Tuesdays

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheetah said:

I never could get the hang of tapatalk.  I do my foruming on a desktop terminal, mostly when I'm at "work"  Shh, don't tell.  It does make it a pain to upload a pic from my phone, though.

That's how I do most of my forming too. One of these days IT is going to ask why NF and a financial forum I really like are open at all times.

I hate typing long things on my phone. But it's the best way to load pictures. Weirdly it's sending me notifications but then won't let me actually get into the forums. I might uninstall and re-install to see if that helps

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I might uninstall and re-install to see if that helps

Definitely worth a try!

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

24 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

That's how I do most of my forming too. One of these days IT is going to ask why NF and a financial forum I really like are open at all times.

My trick is to be IT! That way I'll never notice that NF is always open on my work laptop :P

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 8/7/2017 at 1:33 PM, Stribs said:

And thanks, she's a derp, but she's my derp. :) 

Ah, I missed replying to this earlier. Derp dogs are often the best dogs. If my tapatalk ever cooperates again I'll post a pic of my Floof

6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Definitely worth a try!

No luck :(

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

My trick is to be IT! That way I'll never notice that NF is always open on my work laptop :P

Ah, that's the trick! I've been at this job 5 years and no ones complained yet. Our head IT guy said his philosophy is that he doesn't care if you screw around 10% of the time as long as you work well the other 90%. I don't work 90% of the time but I'm apparently super efficient so no one suspects me of slacking off :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

Ah, that's the trick! I've been at this job 5 years and no ones complained yet. Our head IT guy said his philosophy is that he doesn't care if you screw around 10% of the time as long as you work well the other 90%. I don't work 90% of the time but I'm apparently super efficient so no one suspects me of slacking off :)

Yeah, to be fair, my company is really good about this kind of thing. So long as the work is being done and there are no massive mistakes nobody cares that facebook, reddit or NF, in my case, is open too. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah, to be fair, my company is really good about this kind of thing. So long as the work is being done and there are no massive mistakes nobody cares that facebook, reddit or NF, in my case, is open too. 

I don't think my boss would care but I work for a local government so there are definitely people that would have issues

• Like 1

Week Zero - Tuesday

It was a good thing I food prepped Monday. I was having a crappy day at work and the only thing that kept me from ordering pizza was the fact that I had a couple of casseroles prepped in the fridge. Thanks to that my food intake was good and I went to spin class last night. That's another one I enjoy a lot more than I expected too. I've only tried it with one instructor so far but I really like him.

Rangerbrain was kicking into overdrive last night. I'm still testing out classes but I have a tentative schedule in mind that would let me do the classes I enjoy, lift, and run. Is it too optimistic? Probably. Would I burn out? Possibly. I'm not sure yet I'll try it but I'm keeping it in mind

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Rangerbrain was kicking into overdrive last night. I'm still testing out classes but I have a tentative schedule in mind that would let me do the classes I enjoy, lift, and run. Is it too optimistic? Probably. Would I burn out? Possibly. I'm not sure yet I'll try it but I'm keeping it in mind

Just make sure that you aren't working out twice a day and that you are giving yourself at least one rest day. If you can fulfil those criteria I say go for it.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I feel you on the rangerbrain.  So many new things to try and so many goals to reach and I'm excuted and impatient (not a great combo).  I'm on a rest day currently (thank God, because TRX happened yesterday and everything is sore) and I think @jonfirestar had great advice

17 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Just make sure that you aren't working out twice a day and that you are giving yourself at least one rest day. If you can fulfil those criteria I say go for it.

Just listen to your body and you should be fine.

• Like 2