Fellow writers, young and old, accomplished and aspiring, welcome to the Bard's Guild! I know, I know. It's a bit rundown. But it's nothing that a bit of elbow grease can't fix!

ca488f4df69a624c3d677f0319ff46ae.jpg

This group is for anyone with a desire to write. All levels of experience and all genres (even non-fiction!) are welcome here. You don't even need to have writing as one of your goals. I'll post prompts and writing challenges (which are completely optional, btw). But this is your group too, discuss what you'd like. Bounce ideas, get/give feedback and advice, bemoan your writer's block, celebrate your accomplishments. I think you get the picture.

And now, I open the floor to introductions!

(And please do tag anyone you think might be interested in joining us.)

@IAmInfinite, @Wobbegong, @Stribs, @Plazmotic, @VellaMal, @Dyego@Akira Kurusu

• Like 6

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Oh man I'm so excited about this. I've never done accountabilibuddies before! Or had a writing group, like -- anywhere! Wow. 

Hiiii~ I'm Wobbegong. Last challenge I was participating in a fic exchange in my fandom and it kind of kicked my butt. It was my third year participating but this year I just had way too much stuff going on at once and I was kind of not thrilled with my prompts. With a lot of support from my beta, somehow I muddled through. 

This challenge (and probably half of next challenge) I'll be working on putting together some gift fic for a friend of mine in the fandom who's getting married! I'm very excited on their behalf. Luckily I already have the prompts sorted out for those fic, but I'll be happy to work on prompts this group comes up with, either as short exercises or working them into other stuff I'm writing anyway. 

It's been a long time (well... two years, I guess) since I was writing regularly, and I'm definitely ready to get back into it. Here we go!

• Like 6

I'm Stribs!  I'm an aspiring fantasy author who has been writing for as long as I can remember.  I started my most recent project about a year ago and I just crossed the 95k threshold this morning.  I'm aiming for 110,000 when it's all said and done, and I'm trying to finish it by the 17th (hopefully) or the 28th (more likely).  I'm a teacher, so once school starts, most of the writing I do goes out the window (but I'm trying to work on that too).

My goal is to write 1000-2000 words a day in order to finish on time.  I had an absolutely horrendous go of it last week between making some really hard structure choices (read: being indecisive about who to kill and how to kill them) , dealing with unruly/uncooperative characters (they didn't want to die), and throwing myself back into the gym.  I wrote just over 2k, but I've already written 3k since yesterday, so hopefully it's full steam ahead.

I write other things like short stories (more realistic fiction) and I'm also working on the first book of a children's series about a little witch character my mother created for bed time stories when I was a kid.  If nothing else, it will make a lovely Christmas gift and she will cry. 

I love being in writing groups and I look forward to encouraging, commiserating with, and inspiring each other.  Happy writing!!

• Like 5

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

What-ho, I see it's time to tread the Bards! (Ducks from all the rotten fruit thrown his way). This is exciting! I am Dyego Alehandro, and I wrote my first 400-odd page novel (which will probably never see the light of day) when I was in 8th grade, but have been reading and telling (or writing) stories practically all my life. I do action-adventure-thrillers with a co-author of mine, but on my own I focus on sci-fi: mostly space opera and just starting to delve into steampunk.

My current sci-fi project was a trilogy I wrote nearly a decade ago. In that time the story has evolved, broken, reborn, and it's time for another one of those. I'm fixing some issues the first book had and will re-publish it as an expanded edition, all the while I'm writing the new versions of books 2 and 3. It's really hard for me to edit and rewrite, and heck, really hard to just write most days. Huge procrastinator, but I'm working on it!

The project I'm in the middle of during this challenge, however, is another action-adventure-thriller and I'm having a beast of a time wrapping my head around some scenes. So my goal this challenge is simply to get back into writing every day, with 100 words on the docket and some plotting done for my other books.

I've never been in a writing group (I have a writing buddy other than my co-author) so this will be new! I'm a little nervous, but willing to try and help out as much as I can! :D

• Like 5

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Woop!!!!

(I love writing workshops)

I'm Infinity, and Ive been writing around 3k words a week since I was 15 in the form of poetry, short story, rp, fic, and novel beginnings. Recently, I've become more serious about writing books that are finished.

I write in most genres, though i prefer fiction (fantasy and scifi). My current novel is about the zombie apocalypse set in a traditional d&d fantasy world.

Currently, a friend and I have challenges each other to write 500 words a day, or the other gets a day off writing. We both really want to read the other's books :P

• Like 4

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Also, heres a fun resource - Brandon Sanderson's video course at BYU on Creative Writing for Fantasy and Sci-Fi. He goes over your toolbox, worldbuilding, discipline, plotting, publishing, the entire thing from beginning to end, done by one of my favourite authors.

• Like 3

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

I could of sworn I posted this.... *ahem*

I'm Zeroh, and I've been writing on and off (mostly off) since I was a small child. I completed (Camp) NaNoWriMo on my first attempt (and have failed many times since). It's basically Alice in Wonderland meets I Never Promised You a Rose Garden. That first NaNo got me a writing gig for an indie video game. For awhile I wrote "professionally" for that game, and then another game, but it all crashed and burned a few years ago. I also studied screenwriting in college, which produced a 100something page first draft for a steampunk adventure movie. And sometimes I'll write stories as part of my challenge.

I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to genres. Fantasy, Steampunk, Horror, Speculative Fiction, Queer Fiction, and probably a few I'm forgetting. But one common element is that I like to write "quirky" stories.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

3 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Also, heres a fun resource - Brandon Sanderson's video course at BYU on Creative Writing for Fantasy and Sci-Fi. He goes over your toolbox, worldbuilding, discipline, plotting, publishing, the entire thing from beginning to end, done by one of my favourite authors.

He also has a podcast with Howard Taylor (of Schlock Mercenary), Mary Robinette Kowal and Dan Wells called Writing Excuses, which is a really cool and fun podcast!

I'm VellaMal, but seriously just shorten it to Vella or Vel, it's easier. Another one for writing since I was a kid. I'm a huge fantasy nerd, but I do want to try my hand at that sci-fi stuff one day.

At the moment, I'm rewriting a project of mine to try and expand it (it needed more plot - too many side characters had Really Interesting Stuff that went unexplained and unaddressed). I'm also a freelance writer and editor, and I'll do everything and anything I'm given honestly. Just finished writing a report on funding Vocational Education and Training for the Department of Education and Training, now working on a commissioned biography and a self-help book.

I'm currently self-publishing a story of mine online - the free, serial version is out currently and the hard copy/e-book version is being released as soon as my cover artist gets back to me with the edits to the cover. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find the story here. No pressure, though - I'm just shamelessly plugging myself until enough people think I'm a good writer that I can quit my other job ;) 

• Like 5

My Character

Current Challenge: Starting from the Start

So, Ive read up to the most recent blog post, and it's really good! I love the character progression, the little ties that link different things, the slow realisation with the dead that pass through. 

While William is a mildly contradictory and annoying figure, thats often a sign of good character writing, and Im looking forward to seeing where he and Varda go in the future!

• Like 1

This is most interesting. Thank you for making me a part of this guild. You may call me The Mad Bard. 

I used to write as a hobby. I won a writing competition at a national festival which I leveraged to pitch some sketches to this youtube channel. I got kicked out of that but one of the girls there was dating this dude from a game company who was looking for a writer. So I got referred and then worked on my first videogame, which flopped and I was laid off. I'm trying to put together my own game with few people I grew rapport with. While at the video game company, another writer told me he used to be active in a writers forum and interact with Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club). He passed me over a workshop document for writing that Chuck had given to him. I never got time to get around to it. I think I will now. If anyone here is interested, I'd be glad to send you the document as well. :) (I know I'm breaking the first rule here with this)

I am always confused as to what I want to write. What genre? What aesthetic? Should it be a game, movie or book? Since I love anything and everything. I wish to write about anything and everything. Only yesterday did I scribble down the purpose of my writing. I made a page long description as to what kind of stories I wanted to tell. Then, I realised I could boil it down into one sentence.

"I'm going to show people the deepest darkest truth about themselves that they refuse to see."

I think, I can work around anything as long as it follows this purpose  :)I look forward to this. ^^

p.S - I have also written a brief description for a new idea for me book here. You can check it out if you wish :D

• Like 3

Ooooh, this is great!

I'd be very happy to be a part of this. As a child I already loved making up stories but I started writing just a few years ago; I started out with fanfiction, then I wrote my first own book 2 years ago, it's still just the first draft and I can't get myself to edit it... About 6 months ago I started another book and I'm 200 pages in but failed to plan it any further so I'm basically stuck.

Having a whole bunch of people writing with me (more or less) would be a great help to get back into the habit. 

I'm writing mostly scifi/adventure, my current book is set 2000 years in the future with humans having colonized a bunch of other planets and space flight being a lot faster, safer and affordable for everyone, etc. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

So, Ive read up to the most recent blog post, and it's really good! I love the character progression, the little ties that link different things, the slow realisation with the dead that pass through. 

While William is a mildly contradictory and annoying figure, thats often a sign of good character writing, and Im looking forward to seeing where he and Varda go in the future!

O.O You got through that fast! Thank you!

And yeah, the desire to slap Wilom upside the head is often quite strong, especially when I go back and reread those early chapters :P As long as the story is still enjoyable despite the desire to shake him, I consider my job done.

Ooo, interesting idea, Akira! I'd love to see where the idea goes as it develops - I've seen a lot of the AI side of that sort of story, but nothing really on the video game concept. 

• Like 3

My Character

7 hours ago, Akira Kurusu said:

He passed me over a workshop document for writing that Chuck had given to him. I never got time to get around to it. I think I will now. If anyone here is interested, I'd be glad to send you the document as well.

*raises hand* I'm interested! 

All of you are so impressive, writing completed novels and getting published. I'm excited just to be in your company! :) And definitely looking forward to having a group for writing. It's time to get back on this horse!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Akira Kurusu said:

He passed me over a workshop document for writing that Chuck had given to him. I never got time to get around to it. I think I will now. If anyone here is interested, I'd be glad to send you the document as well.

Me too, if you don't mind.

So HIIIIII I am late to the partay but I’m still here. I am Plazmotic aka Plaz, in the midst of writing novel #1 of a trilogy that shifts from fantasy to urban thriller to science fiction. I’m 23K into the first novel with the main ideas for the other two books planned out. I’ve been writing this book for YEARS but since I’m a perfectionist, I keep restarting over and over again. I hope the accountabilibuddies will keep me on track and tell me STAAAAAPH when I get into my mind to start over. No starting over! Only moving forward for me!

• Like 3

I saw the Accountabilibuddy group title and you had me at the library forest image! Thanks for tagging me too @IAmInfinite! The fact that you also mention The Great One (Brandon Sanderson) makes me a fan of yours now for life. :P 

While I don't have any writing goals for my challenge this time around, the idea of this group, with writing challenges, was just too perfect to pass up so count me in!

I'm Elinox, or Eli for short. I was actually an English major in college so I've been in love with writing (and reading) all my life. It's just one of those things I'm really passionate about: stories and sharing them. I don't write nearly as often as I should, in a fictional sense, but I have completed two novels along with several dozen fanfics and short stories (both completed and uncompleted).

In 2015, I participated in and won NaNoWriMo with the help of my challenge here. I then published my original novel 'House of Red' through Amazon Kindle's self-publishing in May! :D

This is going to be epic, can't wait!

• Like 4

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I miss the days of discovery writing through the middle of my novel....suddenly it's the end and all the loose ends have to come together....bah!  Endings don't have to really make sense? Right? Right?

In other news, I was looking through my planning doc where I had sketched out an ending that apparently my characters hated so much that they deviated away from the plan right under my nose.  That happen to anyone else?

writing-meme-4.jpg

• Like 2

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

1 minute ago, Stribs said:

In other news, I was looking through my planning doc where I had sketched out an ending that apparently my characters hated so much that they deviated away from the plan right under my nose.  That happen to anyone else?

It's definitely a thing. I also tend to have characters with different "personalities" about being written: some will just steal any scene they show up in, even if they're bit-part side characters; writing others can be like pulling teeth, even if I understand the character well and know what I need them to do. I wish I knew why... 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wobbegong said:

It's definitely a thing. I also tend to have characters with different "personalities" about being written: some will just steal any scene they show up in, even if they're bit-part side characters; writing others can be like pulling teeth, even if I understand the character well and know what I need them to do. I wish I knew why... 

I get that.  I started with 4 POVs in this one, and I definitely had a main character, but another one keeps trying to sneak in extra chapters by having a really complex plot line.  It's like, WAIT YOUR TURN, DAMMIT! We're all adults here!

• Like 2

Woo, more people! This is going to be fun!

5 hours ago, Stribs said:

I miss the days of discovery writing through the middle of my novel....suddenly it's the end and all the loose ends have to come together....bah!  Endings don't have to really make sense? Right? Right?

Oh man this is me rewriting my current project ... I've had six different endings for the accursed thing now because THE CHARACTERS DIDN'T LIKE ANY OF MY SUGGESTIONS BUT WON'T GIVE ME ANYTHING TO WORK WITH.

It's fine. I'm fine. I'm a professional. Deep breaths.

I'm also putting a character back in that I've added and removed a couple of times now trying to decide whether they were necessary or not.

• Like 2

My Character

8 minutes ago, VellaMal said:

Oh man this is me rewriting my current project ... I've had six different endings for the accursed thing now because THE CHARACTERS DIDN'T LIKE ANY OF MY SUGGESTIONS BUT WON'T GIVE ME ANYTHING TO WORK WITH.

It's fine. I'm fine. I'm a professional. Deep breaths.

My characters won't shut up either.  Most of my revisions are going to be me taking out dialogue and actually describing some stuff.  That and like a million other things...

• Like 2

I'm ok for world building and describing things, but my issue is it's always EITHER that OR dialogue. So a long section of description, and then a long section of talking, and back and forth and back and forth and omg it's like slogging through Tolkien, nobody cares about the fucking vase. I definitely need to work on both "keeping it relevant" and "managing a natural 'flow'" :/ 

• Like 3