Severine Should Start Listening...

Severine

Okay, I am not normally into shopping for clothing at all. I generally resent having to spend money on clothes, actually. BUT I just bought this tank top and I feel good about it because nerdy joke + workout gear + it was designed by the same awesome artist who designed the tardigrade crest I use as my avatar and I'd much rather give money to her than some random clothing store: 

mockup-8072b93a_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1501535166

• Like 8

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

Report for today: an everything-pretty-good-except-one-thing day. I did my morning routine, meditated, tracked my food, was productive (yay!), and I even got my first bonus point for fighting off the temptation to indulge in an unhealthy food binge. Instead of eating something easy and high-calorie like a frozen pizza for lunch, which was definitely my first instinct, I put together a healthier lunch with veggies and such. Yay! Total calories for the day were still on the higher side (maintenance level instead of cut level) but I'll take it because it's a big improvement over yesterday.

By the way, @Dagger, thanks for the reminder about breaking the TV mounting task into little bits. I went through the instruction booklet today and it feels a lot less daunting. I also caught up on some paperwork I've been putting off, did laundry, etc. I could have done more today but the day was definitely not a loss.

The ooooone bad thing today is that I didn't exercise  <_<  No good reason either, I just kept delaying until it was too late. I should have just gone for a walk earlier in the day when I thought about it. Something to remember: the earlier in the day I do it the better.

Now that week zero is over and the challenge is starting for real I am hoping to really gain some momentum.

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
On 8/12/2017 at 1:39 PM, Severine said:

Okay, I am not normally into shopping for clothing at all. I generally resent having to spend money on clothes, actually. BUT I just bought this tank top and I feel good about it because nerdy joke + workout gear + it was designed by the same awesome artist who designed the tardigrade crest I use as my avatar and I'd much rather give money to her than some random clothing store: 

mockup-8072b93a_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1501535166

Dude! is that mitochondria? 

Lol! Love it!! You need to send me the link to that!

• Like 4

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

4 minutes ago, Butternut said:

It is a mitochondria! Isn't it so wonderfully nerdy?? I think her description says "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell and you are the powerhouse of your life!" and it made me smile :)

Her art is mostly all science and animal stuff so I love a lot of it. Here's the link to that particular shirt.

• Like 6

Great day today! Even though I got stung by six bees. I was mowing the lawn and OOPS I mowed over a nest of ground bees I didn't know was there. Poor little dudes. I was obviously not happy about being stung but I was also kind of impressed that the bees understood that it was me, the creature pushing the mower, that they should attack rather than the mower itself. Good job, bees. Thankfully I'm not allergic to bee stings, and after the initial 5-10 minutes of pain it fades enough that I stop noticing it. So no big deal.

The other slight frustration was regarding my much-discussed friend J. We were supposed to help him move his furniture to his new apartment today, but when I texted him a half hour before the scheduled time to say we'd be heading over, I discovered he wasn't really ready. So we rescheduled for Tuesday night. Mostly this is fine, but the frustrating thing is that he apparently knew for a couple days, based on how behind he was in packing, that realistically he was not going to be ready today. But he was too ashamed to say anything about it, and instead just kept telling himself he'd hurry and find a way to get it all done. And then when that turned out to not be possible, we ended up in the situation where I find out with 30 minutes notice that the moving is postponed. It sucks, because for example I was invited to go play volleyball today with K and some of his friends and I said no because I had committed to moving. Sigh. I talked to him about it, and he understands in principle that he needs to communicate instead of not telling anyone anything because he's too ashamed of things that nobody else except him thinks are things to be ashamed about. But like...conversations with me are not going to solve this. He needs to keep working on it in therapy etc. and I expect things like this will continue to happen until he figures some stuff out.

Anyway. I met all my challenge goals! Exercise, morning routine, meditation, food tracking, productivity! And I showed good self-command in getting some things done that I didn't feel like doing but needed to happen regardless.

Oh, fun thing: I joined a new translation group on my Latin listserv! Happy about that.

And I realized I haven't mentioned this on here yet: my family vacation is approaching! On Saturday the 19th we're driving down to Cape Cod, where we've rented a house for the week. It's going to be low-key and relaxing and fantastic. Swimming in the ocean, seaside bike path, hammock time, badminton, lots and lots of reading, sleeping in, ice cream, seafood, Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute, windsurfing, and just generally having fun and taking it easy. D's family did summer vacation there every year starting from when he was about 12, so we're kind of continuing that tradition I guess.

The house has wifi so I'll still be online, although probably a bit less. But I specifically designed my challenge to be compatible with the vacation, so I'll be pursuing all the same goals during that week except that (1) there's no therapy that week obv and (2) the productivity goal will be replaced by a "do something fun" goal :)

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Severine said:

Great day today! Even though I got stung by six bees.

OMG. Sorry but I LOLed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, Severine said:

But I specifically designed my challenge to be compatible with the vacation, so I'll be pursuing all the same goals during that week except that (1) there's no therapy that week obv and (2) the productivity goal will be replaced by a "do something fun" goal :)

I did this for our family vacation last month and it was so worth it to keep the momentum going. Good luck!

• Like 3

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

20 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

And here I thought it was a wiggly coffee bean. 

Somehow "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" became a meme type thing somehow? Like that specific phrase was printed in every biology book for the last 30 years and everyone recognizes it.

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Somehow "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" became a meme type thing somehow?

Yeah, I'm familiar-ish with mitochondria but didn't connect the phrase with the drawing. Maybe I was just caffeine-starved that day and was seeing coffee beans everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

On 8/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, Dagger said:

Yeah I know that one. There is a bit of mentally working around objections and it doesn't always look the same. So yeah, a bit of forgiveness and gentleness needed to remind myself that it is alright to do less. And sometimes a bit of toughness to kick the ugly voice in my head saying I'm not enough. And at other times it seems all I needed was the acceptance that I can stop to get started and before I know it the task is done.

The same lessons applied again and again, always in slightly different iterations. It is all about the journey, right? Not the destination. :P

This. I do the same thing. I Know I can't clean a room in a day. but I can spend 5 minutes of each day working on it.. Maybe its picking up stuff Agents left out. Maybe that time is organizing a shelf. IT doesn't feel like its doing much at the time, but suddenly, you will look around and see the progress.

• Like 6

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

23 hours ago, Butternut said:

Agreed. I need this as well since I teach (sort of) Biology.

Thank you for posting the link @Severine

• Like 3

GUYS I am so pleased. Today was going to be kind of a so-so day....by 10 p.m. I still hadn't meditated or exercised and I was feeling tired and crappy and preparing myself to report missing some of my goals.

AND THEN I thought about my Grandma and her life and how it compared to mine. And it was like a splash of cold water. I suddenly felt totally unjustified in feeling tired, in a positive way that felt really empowering - not in self criticism, but more like WAIT! I CAN DO SO MUCH MORE. And I suddenly felt totally ready to sit down and meditate. And then to get on the elliptical and get in a good workout. 

It was a good reminder of how lucky I am. Sure I did laundry, but I did it in a machine in my own house - no schlepping to the laundromat like when I was a kid and certainly no boiling water to do it by hand on a washboard like when my grandmother was growing up. Yeah okay, I had to go to work but I got to drive there in a reliable car that I can afford. I live in a safe house with people I love who are good to me. I have free time to pursue my interests and the freedom to choose my direction in life. And when I want to workout I have a bloody mini-gym in my own basement. 

So instead of it ending as a mediocre day, I finished strong and met all my goals. Thanks Gram :)

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Severine said:

So instead of it ending as a mediocre day, I finished strong and met all my goals. Thanks Gram :)

Awesome sauce! 

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

7 hours ago, Severine said:

This is very cool indeed. I am glad you found something that helped you turn your day around.

• Like 2

I am sooooooo tired. Just got home from helping J move all his furniture to the new place and this is my next step after writing this post:

giphy.gif

J is one of my best friends and I love him like a brother but:

• His giant 180-pound desk can go straight to hell. Took us almost 15 minutes of maneuvering to get it up the narrow staircase with stupid angles and tight corners.
  • I could really have done without his new downstairs neighbor hugging me. Who hugs people when being introduced to them? He was stoned out of his mind so that might have had something to do with it, but still.
  • Where the hell was my pizza??? It is a universal rule that when a friend brings her pickup truck and helps you move, you order a god damn pizza to say thanks. But no, no pizza for me. I helped move and then I went home and ate my own food. Booo.
Anyway I am totally counting that shit for exercise. I was drenched in sweat by the end. 

Everything else is decent, mostly. Was productive today, did morning routine, etc. I ate absolutely terribly, though. Again. Mostly stress reasons: political stuff is freaking me out and I had to close all the news apps on my phone this evening and meditate for an extra ten minutes just to stop my heart racing.

Okay, bedtime!

• Like 8

Oh one final thing! 

I found out today that the Icelandic word for 'computer' when translated literally is something like "number witch" and that fills me with indescribable glee.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Severine said:

Oh one final thing! 

I found out today that the Icelandic word for 'computer' when translated literally is something like "number witch" and that feels me with indescribable glee.

That is awesome!

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

10 hours ago, Severine said:

Where the hell was my pizza??? It is a universal rule that when a friend brings her pickup truck and helps you move, you order a god damn pizza to say thanks. But no, no pizza for me. I helped move and then I went home and ate my own food. Booo.

Man, lame! I would have bought you a pizza. 

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

22 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Man, lame! I would have bought you a pizza. 

I would help you move!

....maybe not to California, though. That would take a LOT of pizza.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Severine said:

I would help you move!

....maybe not to California, though. That would take a LOT of pizza.

But California is so great?

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

14 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

But California is so great?

Haha, maybe we can work something out. One pizza for every six hours of cross-country driving?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2