Severine Should Start Listening...

Severine

Yargh :(  Has been a blah couple of days. Have been feeling stressed out, tired, and physically a little ill. I failed to report in yesterday (lost a point!) because I conked out on the couch around 8pm. Given what a hard time I have sleeping, D and L decided to let me sleep.

So here's today: I meditated and did my morning routine. Both are super helpful. And I was productive, so that's something. But eating has been really sketchy (like skipping meals, then eating mindlessly) and I've only tracked intermittently. Going to focus on that tomorrow. And aside from yard work, I haven't really worked out today. I decided not to count the yard work as exercise even though there's exertion involved because it's not on-purpose exercise, and that seems like a violation of the spirit of the goal.

Anyway, so today kind of sucked goal-wise, with only about half of them getting met so unfortunately I get a bonus point for making a crappy report. On the bright side I am doing a much better job of consistently updating my thread than I normally do for challenges. That'll prevent two days of mediocre achievement from turning into a bunch more, so I consider that part a win.

I really wish I weren't awake at 2am! Going to give sleeping another try.

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

Hey! Don't be so hard on yourself! 

Points or no points, you did yard work! And you got some beauty rest ^_^ 

and Im up at 2am too!! I saw you posted 40 minutes ago, and I was wondering if you were in the same time zone. I woke up and couldn't sleep, so I popped in here. Now I'm kind of regretting it because it's not helping the "getting back to bed" thing. 

• Like 5

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

3 hours ago, Severine said:

On the bright side I am doing a much better job of consistently updating my thread than I normally do for challenges. That'll prevent two days of mediocre achievement from turning into a bunch more, so I consider that part a win.

:)

Also glad you got some more sleep yesterday if that was the result when you fell asleep on the couch.

• Like 5

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Quick report due to exhaustion: today was really successful in every respect except that I ate a lot of junk. Got a tonne done, though, and feel good about that.

The good news, though: our Cape Cod vacation starts tomorrow! We'll spend the morning relaxing and packing and then head out around 4pm or so. It's only about a 90 minute drive, assuming traffic is reasonable, so we should be there in time for dinner :)

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

Vaaaaacation! Today I took a nap in a hammock on the deck under some giant oak trees with the ocean air breezing past. It was heaven.

Hammock vision:

af5ezUS.jpg

We arrived later than expected last night but otherwise vacation logistics have gone smoothly. The house is super nice and 30 metres from the water. The time that I've spent alone with L and D today has been relaxing and fun and amazing  :)

The one snag is that D's mum, who we invited up to stay with us here for a day or two, showed up at 7AM this morning (seriously?? we're on vacation!) without even calling first, and declared she is staying for three days. And she is kind of driving us crazy. Sigh. We need to figure something out because I really don't want to spend half our vacation stressing out about her behaviour. Stuff she has done in the time she has been here:

• Gossiped constantly, at times quite mean-spiritedly, about her friends and their kids, and various extended family
  • Totally monopolized every conversation, often cutting other people off, or if she lets them speak for a little bit, as soon as they get halfway through she interrupts and offers (a) advice about what she thinks the person should do or (b) a story about something similar that happened to her or someone she knows
  • Tried to tell me that a private beach, with very clear signs that say "members only" and "private property" and "no trespassing" was open for the public to use after 4PM when the lifeguard goes home. I told her that lack of active enforcement doesn't mean something is allowed, and I wasn't comfortable with trespassing. She disagreed and said I just didn't know how it works because I haven't spent as much time on Cape Cod as her. I had to play the law degree card and insist that no, Cape Cod is not some special magical foreign land where land ownership works differently. She finally agreed to leave but I'm pretty sure she still thinks she's right
  • Keeps calling us lazy because we want to hang out and read in the garden instead of going window shopping with her in town
  • Invited D's sister, her husband, and our niece over without asking us, and without telling us they were on their way. They just showed up and we were like....what?? We would've agreed to have them over but like...ask? Or at least give us notice? And our niece is afraid of dogs so this meant one of us had to sit outside with the dog at all times to avoid scaring her. And then our niece decided she liked this little tupperware bowl from the rental house's kitchen, and D's mum told her it was fine for her to take it home?? And I was like..."uh, no? no, you can't give away things from this house we don't own" and absolutely everyone agreed except D's mum who acted like we were all being silly
  • Constant overly-performative declarations of how little food she eats and how she has such a small appetite (in that weird smug way people sometimes do) coupled with occasional comments about how she's gained so much weight and has a "belly" now and needs a cover-up on the beach etc. She is 5'1" and weighs maaaaybe 100 pounds soaking wet and I really do not need people half my weight complaining about what whales they are.
  • Keeps trying to schedule activities for us like we're little kids. We've had to talk with her twice about how she's welcome to stay here and use it as a base for whatever she wants to do, but aside from some dinners and a couple beach outings together we're probably going to do different stuff and while inviting us to things is fine, she has to not act like we're assholes for saying no
  • Keeps using the wrong pronouns for L

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'm raging on your behalf. D: That's not a great vacation at all. And that's a lot of shit to be pulling in one day. I hope you can get her under control. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

I'm raging on your behalf. D: That's not a great vacation at all. And that's a lot of shit to be pulling in one day. I hope you can get her under control. 

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

Sounds like she didn't get the memo that this was your vacation, not hers...

Yeah. I mean, we knew there was going to be some annoyances obviously but this has been worse than expected. Ever since D's dad died she has been a lot more intense about all of her irksome behaviors. I think part of it is that she doesn't have him around anymore. And he listened to all her stories, and let her plan whatever she wanted for them to do together and he'd go along with it. And if they disagreed about something he almost always deferred to her. And now she's starved for attention/validation/company, and also kind of misses being in charge?

So obviously I'm sympathetic to her feelings but still, things cannot stay this way.

On the bright side I am super excited for tomorrow. We managed to find a pair of eclipse glasses (from our hair dresser of all people - he had an extra pair and he's awesome and shared with us) and I'm really excited to watch :)

Re: goals today. No morning routine because of the surprise morning guest arrival (ugh) but I did meditate and got lots of exercise. And I definitely did fun stuff (which is the vacation version of my productivity goal). Food definitely could have been better but not terrible.

• Like 8

The only thing I can say is: make sure she leaves after her three days. Make sure that she doesn't try to break that boundary. It wouldn't surprise me if she tried... I'm sorry she's being super annoying.

• Like 6

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Okay so first order of business: ECLIIIIIIIPSE! We only had 65% here but it was still SO COOL. We went to the beach for it, and we swam during the beginning, and I was feeling pretty damn pleased with life as I reflected on the fact that I was swimming in the ocean during a solar eclipse. Then we got out and passed the glasses around while lying in what was left of the sun :) It actually got really cold at the peak! Such a cool experience. 

13 hours ago, Dagger said:

The only thing I can say is: make sure she leaves after her three days. Make sure that she doesn't try to break that boundary. It wouldn't surprise me if she tried... I'm sorry she's being super annoying.

Thankfully she's already made reference to going home tomorrow so it looks like we're safe on that front.

8 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

I'm fairly sure that D's mum and my MIL are the same person. My sympathies. I wish I had super-helpful advice that would make everything go smoothly, but I don't think there's anything that can make those situations easier.

If we're ever in the same city we definitely need to go out to a wine bar, open a tab, and trade stories.

• Like 9

Today in frivolity: I started watching a new series with D and L (Travellers on Netflix - we really like it so far!) and one of the characters has this absolutely brilliant clock in his apartment and I covet it. I did some googling and found out that it's a nixie tube clock:

2016-09-13T19:51:14.606Z-DSC_0147%20copy.JPG.2560x2560_q85.jpg

It is totally, completely frivolous and I am picturing the face my grandmother would make if I told her that I wanted a decorative clock made of retro soviet computer parts that costs upwards of $100. It is a "this is your grandfather's influence" sort of face. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Severine said:

Thankfully she's already made reference to going home tomorrow so it looks like we're safe on that front.

Phew!

Also that clock? Wooow, it is so cool!

• Like 2

Okay, so I mostly caught up at work yesterday but I was't logged in. So I am glad to hear that the vacation is going well aside from MIL. I completely understand how that goes. Hopefully she gets out today.  (I have some great ones too, My FIL can be like that. so I totally sympathize)

Enjoy the vacation. Have some peace after she leaves. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

D's mum went home last night, woo!  It's been soooo much more relaxing since she left. We went out for a nice dinner last night and then L and I went for a lovely evening walk and then we all lounged around and watched a movie and it was exactly the low key guilt-free fun laziness I was hoping for from this vacation.

And once we were guest free I found it much easier to do my self-care stuff: today was the first day of the vacation I managed to do my full morning routine (I am super self-conscious about people I don't feel 100% comfortable with watching me do physical stuff, so I didn't do my stretching while she was here) and I had time for reading and some great conversations and a nap in the hammock. Part of me only ever wants to sleep in hammocks from now on. It's like floating.

I did a bunch of walking today! This morning to the ocean and back with L, and then by myself tonight, again to the ocean. It was windy and the air smelled amazing (I love salty air) and when I got to the beach it was totally deserted and I spent about ten minutes just standing on the sand in the dark watching lightning strikes way off the coast. It was pretty magical :)

We had dinner tonight at a cute little pub with live music! It was a solo musician up on this adorable little balcony:

Spoiler

mSrGVwW.jpg

There was some hilariously weird stuff on the menu:

Spoiler

I73q2u9.jpg

I did not order the lobster waffles, lol. Oh and earlier we got a cheapo badminton set at put it up in the yard and that has been fun and hilarious. We're not going to make the pro badminton league, let's just say that.

• Like 8

Hey there. Just wanted to say hi! How's everything going?

• Like 2

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

On 8/23/2017 at 10:21 PM, Severine said:

D's mum went home last night, woo!  It's been soooo much more relaxing since she left. We went out for a nice dinner last night and then L and I went for a lovely evening walk and then we all lounged around and watched a movie and it was exactly the low key guilt-free fun laziness I was hoping for from this vacation.

I am glad to hear you can have some family time guilt free now. I am glad she is gone.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:21 PM, Severine said:

And once we were guest free I found it much easier to do my self-care stuff: today was the first day of the vacation I managed to do my full morning routine (I am super self-conscious about people I don't feel 100% comfortable with watching me do physical stuff, so I didn't do my stretching while she was here) and I had time for reading and some great conversations and a nap in the hammock. Part of me only ever wants to sleep in hammocks from now on. It's like floating.

I am the same way about my stretches and things. I love my family, but them being here when I am doing it makes me feel weird about it. so you are not alone. Although now I want to find a hammock and try it.

• Like 4

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am the same way about my stretches and things. I love my family, but them being here when I am doing it makes me feel weird about it. so you are not alone.

I'm exactly the same way. 

Aside from D's mom, I'm glad to hear you've been having a wonderful vacation! It's so important to take a break from "real life" and go chill out and relax somewhere nice with the people you like and a little extra elbow room. (Or less elbow room for some people who have too much in their normal lives. That's a thing too.) 

That clock made me think of a clock I saw in a shop in New York once... it was encased in a glass dome so the clock gears were visible, but it had little wire people pulling on them and making everything tick. I've tried to find this clock many times since then (it was nearly twenty years ago that I saw it, now) but no luck. I remember at the time that clock seemed both wonderful and so frivolous to little eight-year-old Wobbegong, but some things stay with you. Sometimes I wonder how my life might be different if I had convinced my parents to buy that clock for me back then. 

• Like 5

Super short report: I'm home! We were supposed to come home tomorrow morning, but this afternoon my friend texted me and asked if I could sit her dog starting tomorrow and I got guilt-tripped into saying yes even though I don't want to. Long story behind why I don't want to, but anyway. So we decided to come home tonight both to beat traffic (Cape Cod traffic on Saturdays is insane in the summer) and also so I could have some time to get settled at home tomorrow before I have to go off dog sitting. 

One really lovely thing: I woke up at 5:25 am this morning and I went with L down to the beach and we sat with a thermos full of tea and watched the sun rise. It was a really peaceful and beautiful and soothing experience and I'm super happy we did it. Then I went back to bed and slept until 9  :rolleyes:

Today was kind of a so-so day in terms of goals. Forgot to do my morning routine until it was basically lunchtime which I decided didn't count. I exercised though, woo. I've been good about that all vacation because when you can walk to the ocean, why wouldn't you? I've been eating poorly though, and that's been an issue all week. It's actually been a big wake up call about how much my ability to eat sensibly is currently dependent on routine and familiar surroundings. Meditation is happening though, and is helpful. I just started the new Headspace pack on regret. 

Got a text from my grandmother this morning. It made me wonder what she'd think if I told her I based a challenge around her. I'm going to have to ponder whether I want to tell her. 

Anyway, bedtime! I'll do a proper vacation wrap-up post tomorrow and spend time getting caught up on the threads I let slide while I was away.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Hey there. Just wanted to say hi! How's everything going?

OMG YOU! I wondered where you were! Do you have a challenge going? 

Definitely want to catch up, will post more on here and/or track down your thread tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yeah, I kind of drifted away a bit and am fighting to bring myself back here properly. I don't have a challenge yet. My current "challenge" is simply to come here everyday and post something, somewhere. Don't have a thread yet. But don't worry, I intend to spam the threads of a few people :P

• Like 3

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

6 hours ago, Severine said:

We were supposed to come home tomorrow morning, but this afternoon my friend texted me and asked if I could sit her dog starting tomorrow and I got guilt-tripped into saying yes even though I don't want to. Long story behind why I don't want to, but anyway.

Guilt-tripping sucks a lot. Like a huge amount.

That sunrise morning sounds great. It sounds like you might have been sleeping better? Or is that just me projecting onto your words?

• Like 5