Severine Should Start Listening...

Severine

1 hour ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I've been thinking about Elements too. Is there something in particular stopping you, or have you just now started thinking about it?

There's a thread about it too this challenge if you haven't seen it yet: 

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this and I might have had plans in this direction...

• Like 5

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

This is only tangentially related to fitness but it's about my grandma so it's topical.

I spoke with her on the phone today for about 40 minutes. Great to talk to her as always, but the sad thing is she's in a lot of pain in her legs and having a hard time getting around as a result. There's a background, here: she's had bad legs for as long as I can remember (they swell and get really painful) but she hid/minimized her pain for at least a decade, and then when she could no longer hide it she admitted she was in pain but refused to change her routine or limit things that were hard on her legs. She said pain wasn't important as long as she could still do everything. And she refused to go the doctor because she doesn't like being a patient or needing help, and she was convinced they couldn't do anything about it anyway.

We don't know exactly what causes it, since she's avoided seeing anyone for it, but it's some combination of her arthritis, her weight, and circulation issues, probably with at least one other cause. For the first twenty or so years it was just pain and swelling, but in the last five or ten it has started to actually limit what she can do. She HATES that. And finally it is driving her to seek treatment, sort of. Reluctantly.

Anyway, a couple of years ago, one of her friends started acupuncture for her arthritis and had really amazing results and convinced my grandmother to try it. At first she kept it a secret but eventually after a couple months, when it was really starting to help, she told the family. We were thrilled there was something useful that she was actually willing to go to.

Today when I asked her if she was still doing acupuncture she went all quiet and then just said no. And I asked why and yep, just as I suspected: they can't afford it anymore. I won't go into the long history of me trying to get my grandparents to accept monetary help from me because you can probably extrapolate from my other descriptions of her. She is the most stubborn person I have ever met and no matter how many times I have suggested it or how many different strategies I've tried, I've never gotten anywhere. I tried sending a cheque without permission once and she sent it back and just got pissed off. Sigh. Anyway. So I said I wanted to pay for her to go back to acupuncture every week and she of course said no. And of course I argued. And to my great shock, after about 25 minutes of talking to her about it, I actually got her to agree!!! It is hard for me to convey what a big deal this is. I'm delighted she's going to be going back to acupuncture (and I hope it'll still help, after she took an entire year off) but in some ways it's almost scary because in order for her to agree she must be suffering more than I can imagine. There is, of course, a chance she'll change her mind and tear up the cheque when it arrives but I'm confident that now she's accepted, she'll follow through even if it takes a couple false starts.

I also found out that her GP convinced her to go for an ultrasound to trace the blood flow through the legs, so hopefully that turns up some useful info.

Anyway, I'm over-the-moon happy that she's letting us pay for some help. And it's a good reminder of how important it is that I take better care of my own health. Bad legs run in my family for women (my great-grandma had similar issues) and I would really really like to avoid getting into that same situation.

• Like 9

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
30 minutes ago, Severine said:

My problem is that I get super self conscious about going to those places because I'm not a 'real' athlete and I use my running shoes for walking more often than running. I worry they won't take me seriously, or it'll just be super awkward, or...I don't even 100% know what I'm worried about, heh. Obviously I just need to suck it up and get over it, because no amount of reading articles on the internet can substitute for just trying the shoes.

I'm sure you already know this, but it's their job to be nice to you and sell you shoes. They won't be rude to you! The greater risk is that they'll be TOO friendly. Aggressively friendly salespeople are the worst. 

Usually, if it's your first time at a running store and you don't know what you're looking for exactly, they'll have you walk/run around so they can look at how your feet work and recommend shoes they think will work best for your gait/pronation type/etc. This can be helpful to get you pointed in the right direction for shoes, but there's also a growing belief that a lot of gait analysis is actually kind of BS, so don't be afraid to prioritize comfort over what they say is the best for your foot type.

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 43

2020 challenges: 43 | 44 | 45 (current)

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

23 minutes ago, Severine said:

Today when I asked her if she was still doing acupuncture she went all quiet and then just said no. And I asked why and yep, just as I suspected: they can't afford it anymore. I won't go into the long history of me trying to get my grandparents to accept monetary help from me because you can probably extrapolate from my other descriptions of her. She is the most stubborn person I have ever met and no matter how many times I have suggested it or how many different strategies I've tried, I've never gotten anywhere. I tried sending a cheque without permission once and she sent it back and just got pissed off. Sigh. Anyway. So I said I wanted to pay for her to go back to acupuncture every week and she of course said no. And of course I argued. And to my great shock, after about 25 minutes of talking to her about it, I actually got her to agree!!! It is hard for me to convey what a big deal this is. I'm delighted she's going to be going back to acupuncture (and I hope it'll still help, after she took an entire year off) but in some ways it's almost scary because in order for her to agree she must be suffering more than I can imagine. There is, of course, a chance she'll change her mind and tear up the cheque when it arrives but I'm confident that now she's accepted, she'll follow through even if it takes a couple false starts.

Last winter I had a similar bittersweet victory (it was bittersweet for me anyway) with my dad. He's had different kind of pain problems for all my life basically. His back, wrist, knee are the biggest ones, with his back being the worst offender.

After going through teenage rebellion, you know like all of us does, I've always tried to be helpful around my dad. I've tried to do things I knew would be painful for him. Opening plastic bottles and cans, cutting the Christmas ham (is cutting the right word here?), and similar things. Always I'd get a no, he could do it, he would do it. Then this last winter he graciously accepted my help with no protest, in fact there was almost relief.

I don't even want to think about how much pain he must have been in to let me so easily help. Sometimes I've helped before, but mostly by anticipating what needs to be done or doing something else at the same time he's doing another thing. But last winter I did all the things. I cut the ham, I opened plastic bottles (when other members of my family didn't), I opened cans and more. It wasn't like he just stood by and watched, but all those things I knew I could do easier than him, he let me do. (Taking something out a fridge is not challenging for him, so I didn't do that if you get my drift of what I helped with and didn't.)

So I understand that feeling of victory with a large dose of worry. Bittersweet.

I'm glad she accepted help and I hope she'll let you follow through on the help. <3

• Like 6

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

I got shoes! We decided not to go to pub trivia tonight so we suddenly had a free evening. The Marathon Sports near us is open until 8PM, so I decided to just go and check it out. It was a little awkward at first because I am such a noob about running shoes, but they were super friendly. They did a gait analysis but said something similar to what @NeverThatBored said, about how it's just a starting point and not the only consideration. I thought it was a good sign they weren't dogmatic about it and they definitely weren't pushy. They had me try on a bunch of different shoes and try walking/running around the block which was helpful.

I got the Saucony Echelon 6 Wide which is a neutral shoe and super comfy. Of all the shoes I tried, it felt the most like not wearing shoes. No rubbing or pinching, and a good amount of cushion. I already went for a ~35 minute walk when I got home and they were comfy the whole way. And I definitely notice the (positive) difference in gait impact between these shoes and my previous shoes, which were stability shoes. Relatedly, I think, I noticed what felt like muscle tightness on the right side of the front of my right leg, which is one of the areas that goes numb...obviously whatever is causing the numbness is intertwined with other issues. Such a mystery.

Anyway I have 30 days to decide whether I like them. They said I can wear them outside as much as I want during that time and if they end up not being the right choice I can bring them back for a store credit/exchange. Seems like a very fair policy so I'm feeling good about having options if these don't pan out.

@fleaball if you end up wanting company when you go to get shoes, I'd totally go. I just wanted to get shoes ASAP because my other ones were so falling apart it was ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Dagger said:

So I understand that feeling of victory with a large dose of worry. Bittersweet.

The story about your dad made me sad :(  Poor guy. It's so hard to see good people we love in pain. I'm glad he has people to help him, at least, even if it means a little hit to his pride or sense of independence. Better than getting to the point where you finally realize you need help but have no one to turn to.

Oh and yes, cutting the Christmas ham is fine. I think "slicing" is the more technically correct verb but cutting doesn't sound wrong or bizarre.

• Like 8

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
18 minutes ago, Severine said:

I got shoes! We decided not to go to pub trivia tonight so we suddenly had a free evening. The Marathon Sports near us is open until 8PM, so I decided to just go and check it out. It was a little awkward at first because I am such a noob about running shoes, but they were super friendly. They did a gait analysis but said something similar to what @NeverThatBored said, about how it's just a starting point and not the only consideration. I thought it was a good sign they weren't dogmatic about it and they definitely weren't pushy. They had me try on a bunch of different shoes and try walking/running around the block which was helpful.

Yay!!! I'm glad you found a pair you like. :)

• Like 3

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

36 minutes ago, Severine said:

@fleaball if you end up wanting company when you go to get shoes, I'd totally go. I just wanted to get shoes ASAP because my other ones were so falling apart it was ridiculous.

S'all good! Glad you got them. I just said I was planning on going so you wouldn't feel guilty about my going just for moral support. (Not to say you would. But I would if the roles were reversed, so covering my basis.) I really should go sooner rather than later but I'm so laaaazyyyyy.

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I hate running in shoes. The less between me and the ground the better. I used to have a pair that were so thin and light, you could almost feel every pebble under your foot.  But it's really good you found a pair of shoes that works so well for you

• Like 3

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

9 hours ago, Severine said:

Oh and yes, cutting the Christmas ham is fine. I think "slicing" is the more technically correct verb but cutting doesn't sound wrong or bizarre.

Slicing! That was the word I was searching for.

I hope the shoes continue being good. Also, if some of your trouble comes from your previous shoes, I'm guessing there might be a period of adjustment with a new ones whether they are better or not, because your muscles and such will be moving differently.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, fleaball said:

I really should go sooner rather than later but I'm so laaaazyyyyy.

On the bright side this is totally a good situation to sit and wait for a sale. Worth it, if you can afford to be patient, since good shoes are not cheap.

9 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

I hate running in shoes. The less between me and the ground the better. I used to have a pair that were so thin and light, you could almost feel every pebble under your foot. 

Okay, genuine curiosity here: doesn't that hurt?? I know for example when I go trail hiking, if the shoes I'm wearing don't have a firm enough sole (sturdy running shoes minimum, but ideally proper hiking shoes) my feet end up being really uncomfortable from stepping on rocks and roots and other uneven ground that pokes up into them as I walk. In my imagination at least, it seems like that'd happen with minimalist shoes. Because at least around here there's no perfect flat pavement - there are pebbles and uneven cracks and curbs and all that nonsense.

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

I hope the shoes continue being good. Also, if some of your trouble comes from your previous shoes, I'm guessing there might be a period of adjustment with a new ones whether they are better or not, because your muscles and such will be moving differently.

Yeah, totally agree. I actually kind of took it as a good sign that the new shoes made me feel a strain in one of the places that goes numb, because maybe it means they're helping engage a muscle that previously wasn't being engaged? Who knows. But yeah I'm going to give it at least two weeks before I decide.

• Like 5

This morning was good. Today is day 2 of early morning walking with L and so far I really like it, even with the 5:50AM wakeup.

The new morning routine looks like this: 5:50 alarm goes off, stumble to the bathroom, put on contacts, zombie my way into some clothes, and we're walking by 6:00. Walk briskly for 30 minutes around the neighbourhood - there's a loop that's the perfect distance. By about 10 minutes into the walk I have emerged from my sleepzombie cocoon enough to have actual conversation, so it's a nice chance to spend time with L. Get home, drink a big glass of water, stretch a bunch (which feels amazing) and then iron L's pants and shirt for work. Then I go back to my own usual morning routine: shower, breakfast, getting ready, etc.

I really do love morning workouts. There's something so satisfying about starting the day with some exercise - I feel like I'm on the right track, I guess, and it helps me eat well and stay active for the rest of the day because I don't want to spoil a good day. I guess it's similar to the impulse that makes me not want to break a streak in Headspace. Useful self-hack.

Now I am indulging in one of my favourite teas even though it has caffeine. ESL soon.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Severine said:

Okay, genuine curiosity here: doesn't that hurt?? I know for example when I go trail hiking, if the shoes I'm wearing don't have a firm enough sole (sturdy running shoes minimum, but ideally proper hiking shoes) my feet end up being really uncomfortable from stepping on rocks and roots and other uneven ground that pokes up into them as I walk. In my imagination at least, it seems like that'd happen with minimalist shoes. Because at least around here there's no perfect flat pavement - there are pebbles and uneven cracks and curbs and all that nonsense.

I go walking/hiking most anywhere with my vibrams. The only time I didn't was in Norway because I wasn't sure of the temperatures and the ground was wet in a lot of places and the vibrams I have aren't water resistant at all, otherwise I would have used them.

With Vibrams, there is just enough sole that even sharp rocks when I step on them doesn't hurt hurt, it can get pretty uncomfortable at times though, but only when you have gravel on top of a hard surface like concrete/rock/similar. Otherwise the pebble will get partly pressed into the surface when you press down on it.

I'd say the only time I regret taking Vibrams was during the high rope course at Camp NF because we walked on thick wires part of the time, and wires are hard and cut into the feet. Ouch. (The shoes made sure I had no bruises, but it hurt so much to walk on wires.)

Of course, it takes a bit getting used to and the soles of your feet does get tougher with time. In the beginning I could walk for less than an hour on asphalt/concrete, while now I need to be on my feet for three hours before they start hurting.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Dagger said:

I go walking/hiking most anywhere with my vibrams. The only time I didn't was in Norway because I wasn't sure of the temperatures and the ground was wet in a lot of places and the vibrams I have aren't water resistant at all, otherwise I would have used them.

With Vibrams, there is just enough sole that even sharp rocks when I step on them doesn't hurt hurt, it can get pretty uncomfortable at times though, but only when you have gravel on top of a hard surface like concrete/rock/similar. Otherwise the pebble will get partly pressed into the surface when you press down on it.

I'd say the only time I regret taking Vibrams was during the high rope course at Camp NF because we walked on thick wires part of the time, and wires are hard and cut into the feet. Ouch. (The shoes made sure I had no bruises, but it hurt so much to walk on wires.)

Of course, it takes a bit getting used to and the soles of your feet does get tougher with time. In the beginning I could walk for less than an hour on asphalt/concrete, while now I need to be on my feet for three hours before they start hurting.

Dagger pretty much summed it up. I would add though that you end up being more mindful of how you walk. I find that if you do it for long enough, your feet can recognise what you're about to step on before you actually put all your weight on it. Sounds strange, but it does become almost instinctive. There are some things that are uncomfortable to walk on though, like Dagger said. I found that wearing them on concrete was actually the worst thing, so hard and unforgiving.

OUCH! Can imagine how much those wires would have hurt. I'll pass on that :P

• Like 5

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

Starting off with a question for anyone who feels like contributing to my scientific quest: when you walk somewhat briskly, do your knees ever totally straighten out to as straight as they can go, or do they stay ever so slightly bent even when the legs are at the straightest part of the movement?

I'm doing some amateur analysis of my biomechanics and trying to better understand my leg numbness and how it might be related to posture and movement issues (numbness has gotten better the last couple days, not sure if it's because of anything I've done) and it's hard because I obviously don't know it feels to move around in any other body. All input appreciated!

Second, exciting news: I bought Elements! Started looking at the materials today and they look pretty awesome. Excited to start over the long weekend. @Dagger did you say you were thinking of doing it? I'll be posting about it for sure. Maybe we can compare notes.

Tomorrow marks the last day of a full work week of the new morning routine! I think something is maybe wrong with me because despite the 5:50 wakeup time I'm really loving it. And this week has been super successful in terms of exercise and nutrition, in large part because I'm starting every day in a structured active way.

Meditation is still happening and I am constantly re-shocked at how valuable it is. It's like I have a goldfish memory for self-care because at least half the time when I finish a meditation I'm like, "Oh right! Holy shit, so helpful!" If I could just keep the memory of how great self-care feels locked in my brain even when I'm not actively doing it, maybe I'd find it easier to stick with good habits long term...

Random other things:

• I like the new Arcade Fire album and am excited about going to the concert in two weeks
  • Today we started a savings account to put some money away for L's niece and nephew, and inspired by @fleaball's situation and also by all of the tales of woe and drama I remember from property law and estates in law school (@Countess D'If knows what I mean) we did not put their parents on the account or give them control over the money in any way. They're little kids now (like 2 and 5) and I want to make sure they get the money when they're old enough even if their parents go insane or get mad at them or are in debt with the mafia
  • Autumn has totally arrived in Boston and I am full of joy because it is my favourite season by far
  • I saw a giant halloween lawn dinosaur at Home Depot today and it was ridiculous and 8 feet tall and $300 and I would never buy it in a million years but I still thought it was awesome

The Home Depot dinosaur, for your delectation:

Spoiler

rhRKOVu.png

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

What are the terms of the account? I'm wildly curious how you're going to convey it. At X age? TOD? Is it just a regular account or a trust account?

I'm in wills|trusts|estates right now and you're totally right - bitches be crazy

So I really want to be a jerk and create a complex fact pattern about a revocable trust that converts to an irrevocable trust upon satisfaction of some bizarre requirement that each child, once 19 years of age, makes a pilgrimmage to Dawson City, Yukon and drinks a sourtoe cocktail while yodelling. 

Alas, it is a boring old money market savings account, which they cannot access legally until they're 21 and in practical terms can't access without our cooperation because they don't even know what bank it's with.

The plan is that, if they go to college or other postsecondary schooling, they'll get it when they go. If they decide not to go to school they'll get it when there's a suitable (by our judgement) expense they want to put it toward, like a flying car or a trip throughout Asia or something. It's not going to be a fortune - it'll end up being like $15,000 per kid. So enough that we don't want them wasting it on beer, but not really enough that it's going to change anyone's life.

We'll need to update our wills, now, to designate a trustee if we die. Ugh, adulting.

• Like 9

AHHH I am right there with you on the goldfish brain for self care. Every time I do yoga I'm like...this is amazing?? I feel so much better?? But I consistently underestimate how good it is for my wellbeing. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Severine said:

Starting off with a question for anyone who feels like contributing to my scientific quest: when you walk somewhat briskly, do your knees ever totally straighten out to as straight as they can go, or do they stay ever so slightly bent even when the legs are at the straightest part of the movement?

If you mean do they get so straight the knee's lock out, the answer is no unless my thighs have a lot of DOMS. (You should have seen me walking for a while in Norway, geez. My leg would randomly lock out and I'd wobble every few steps.)

But do my leg get really straight? Yes.

However, this was trying to walk briskly in a room where I had about five-ish meters of space. If I remember to try when I get outside today, I'll report again.

Second, exciting news: I bought Elements! Started looking at the materials today and they look pretty awesome. Excited to start over the long weekend. @Dagger did you say you were thinking of doing it? I'll be posting about it for sure. Maybe we can compare notes.

Yessss, you are correct. I was planing to join the accountability thread after I did my BAP/first day, since I didn't want to take out victory in advance. I hope that one continues and gets moved to the next challenge when we get there next week and change.

Meditation is still happening and I am constantly re-shocked at how valuable it is. It's like I have a goldfish memory for self-care because at least half the time when I finish a meditation I'm like, "Oh right! Holy shit, so helpful!" If I could just keep the memory of how great self-care feels locked in my brain even when I'm not actively doing it, maybe I'd find it easier to stick with good habits long term...

Yeah, I hear you on that. I hope Nourish Yourself 2.0 will help me get in the flow like it did last winter/spring. And maybe this time I won't stop the day after we stop the daily practice. >_>

7 hours ago, Severine said:

I saw a giant halloween lawn dinosaur at Home Depot today and it was ridiculous and 8 feet tall and $300 and I would never buy it in a million years but I still thought it was awesome

I almost feel like giving you the money so you can have a T-Rex on your lawn. Who doesn't want that? And it made me think of this song from the Plants vs Zombies game (Just change zombie to T-rex/dinosaur):

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Severine said:

First off, Sorry I fell off the world, but I am caught up now.

Uh... To be honest, I never really thought about it. I think I probably leave them slightly bent but I couldn't be sure. I would have to try it today and get back to you. I will say however, I may not be the best one to help with this since I have a twisted bone in my ankle (Since birth) and I have never ever walked "completely normal" I can pass for normal unless you are actually watching me walk or if I am really tired, then I will start walking more bowlegged.

I'm doing some amateur analysis of my biomechanics and trying to better understand my leg numbness and how it might be related to posture and movement issues (numbness has gotten better the last couple days, not sure if it's because of anything I've done) and it's hard because I obviously don't know it feels to move around in any other body. All input appreciated!

Sorry I am not of more help. I do hope it helps you with your issues.

Tomorrow marks the last day of a full work week of the new morning routine! I think something is maybe wrong with me because despite the 5:50 wakeup time I'm really loving it. And this week has been super successful in terms of exercise and nutrition, in large part because I'm starting every day in a structured active way.

Okay, I am summing all this up in one quote because well, I am running out of time before I have to get Agents to school. I am so glad that your goals are doing so well. I hope the Elements thing goes well for you, I know a number of people do it. I am curious to see how it goes for you. And New morning routines are hard, but it sounds like yours is helping and doing a ton of good, so great job. I think that will be one of my goals next challenge.

I get the goldfish memory. I do the same thing about how much better I feel when I do my exercises and stretches and if I ever figure out the meditation thing. Hopefully it locks in a bit better and things get easier to do on a regular basis.

• Today we started a savings account to put some money away for L's niece and nephew, and inspired by @fleaball's situation and also by all of the tales of woe and drama I remember from property law and estates in law school (@Countess D'If knows what I mean) we did not put their parents on the account or give them control over the money in any way. They're little kids now (like 2 and 5) and I want to make sure they get the money when they're old enough even if their parents go insane or get mad at them or are in debt with the mafia

I think this is a great idea. I may have to look into  doing it for the Agents. Granted, I am not sure how to since mine are older, but it would be nice to give them something. I may have to look into this. Thank you for sharing it.

• I saw a giant halloween lawn dinosaur at Home Depot today and it was ridiculous and 8 feet tall and $300 and I would never buy it in a million years but I still thought it was awesome

The Home Depot dinosaur, for your delectation:

Okay I love the dino too. I would never pay for it, but still. It would be awesome to have.

3 hours ago, Dagger said:

I almost feel like giving you the money so you can have a T-Rex on your lawn. Who doesn't want that? And it made me think of this song from the Plants vs Zombies game (Just change zombie to T-rex/dinosaur)

Well I have Zombie on your lawn stuck in my head and I didnt even watch the clip. Fortunately, I like the song so yay.

• Like 4

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

when you walk somewhat briskly, do your knees ever totally straighten out to as straight as they can go, or do they stay ever so slightly bent even when the legs are at the straightest part of the movement?

My knees don't lock up, but yes my legs are straight during my strides.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Well I have Zombie on your lawn stuck in my head and I didnt even watch the clip. Fortunately, I like the song so yay.

MUAHAHAHAHA! <3

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Severine said:

Mine straighten as far as they'll go when I walk briskly. I should also note that my "brisk" has been called sprinting by my siblings, so I assume it's faster than a normal "brisk."

Second, yay! I'm still on the fence about it, but I look forward to reading what you think!

• Like 3

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

On 8/31/2017 at 10:19 PM, NeverThatBored said:

AHHH I am right there with you on the goldfish brain for self care. Every time I do yoga I'm like...this is amazing?? I feel so much better?? But I consistently underestimate how good it is for my wellbeing. 

I get the goldfish memory. I do the same thing about how much better I feel when I do my exercises and stretches and if I ever figure out the meditation thing. Hopefully it locks in a bit better and things get easier to do on a regular basis.

Someone needs to study why this happens and release a software fix. Stupid brains.

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

If you mean do they get so straight the knee's lock out, the answer is no unless my thighs have a lot of DOMS. (You should have seen me walking for a while in Norway, geez. My leg would randomly lock out and I'd wobble every few steps.)

But do my leg get really straight? Yes.

15 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Uh... To be honest, I never really thought about it. I think I probably leave them slightly bent but I couldn't be sure. I would have to try it today and get back to you. I will say however, I may not be the best one to help with this since I have a twisted bone in my ankle (Since birth) and I have never ever walked "completely normal" I can pass for normal unless you are actually watching me walk or if I am really tired, then I will start walking more bowlegged.

14 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

My knees don't lock up, but yes my legs are straight during my strides.

9 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Mine straighten as far as they'll go when I walk briskly. I should also note that my "brisk" has been called sprinting by my siblings, so I assume it's faster than a normal "brisk."

Thanks all! I ask because I noticed the other day that when I'm tired/hurried/walking uphill my legs stay at least slightly bent the whole time. Which I think changes the way the weight/force is distributed. When I concentrated on extending my legs fully with each stride (not locking the knee in a rigid sense, just straightening out the leg all the way) it felt a bit better? Like stretching built in to the walk, kind of. Maybe this habit is part of why I have such tight hamstrings??

I think this is a great idea. I may have to look into doing it for the Agents. Granted, I am not sure how to since mine are older, but it would be nice to give them something. I may have to look into this. Thank you for sharing it.

Yeah it's not a tonne of money (we're putting away $100 monthly for each kid, so $200 monthly total) but it'll add up over time. Much better than waiting until they're adults and then trying to come up with a lump sum. I'm a big dork about budgeting and money management and I love the feeling of making a plan and then steadily watching savings grow, so this is kind of fun for me :D 

• Like 5

So today was actually pretty great? I've felt good for most of this week and it's a nice (but surprising) change after so long feeling blah and tired and unmotivated.

Morning routine was good (successful first work week of the new morning walk habit!) and morning meetings went smoothly.

Then my old coworker, who manages a farm near my house, texted me to say she had a present for me: some Aunt Ruby's German Green tomatoes, a.k.a. The Best Tomato Ever. Seriously, people. I have grown over 40 different varieties of tomato, and it's the best one. Every single farmer I know agrees with me except one and he doesn't even like strawberries so he's obviously not to be trusted. They are green when ripe, so a lot of people pass them over at farm stands. But they have the PERFECT balance of acidity and sweetness, the perfect level of juiciness, the perfect texture, perfect everything. I can't even describe it but they are a joy. After I went and picked them up, do you know what I had for lunch? Just a giant tomato sliced up on a plate with salt and pepper on it. It was amazing.

My current stash:

UnCm0Cq.jpg?1

In the afternoon I met my friend K (who just got back from a bike trip) at a local wildlife refuge that I recently discovered and we spent about three hours walking around and catching up and talking about stuff that was on our minds. We had such good conversation and it was just such a pleasant experience of friendship and feeling cared about and connected to a cool person. Really feel lucky to have him as a friend. Also he had never been to the wildlife refuge and he loved it too and wants to go back, so I feel good about having introduced him to a thing he likes.

Went out for a nice dinner with D and L to our favourite local restaurant. Food was delicious and it was fun and relaxing. J lives near there so he walked over and joined us for dessert. Then he came to our place and he and I went for a walk. That walk made me a little sad because of J being J (i.e. kind of distant) but I am doing my very best to just keep sailing.

PSA for people who care about Hobonichi planners: the 2018 ones just went on sale! I ordered mine today :)

• Like 6