• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

NeverThatBored: The Tomato Strikes Back

AHHH YOU GUYS. It was so hard to pick a challenge focus this time. 

Background:

Spoiler

This year, I decided to focus on one habit per challenge. By the end of the year, that gives me the potential to have TEN NEW HEALTHY HABITS. So far I've:

1. Walked daily and/or at least 16 miles per week (anything above 12 is acceptable to me as long as it's not consistently that low)
  2. Established a morning routine
  3. Smoothies for breakfast and salads for lunch....this didn't stick...I've currently changed it to skipping breakfast most days (or eating only a small lunch on days where I have breakfast) and that has stuck better
  4. Doing hard things by reminding myself how much i like the archetype of the guardian. Don't want to do stuff at work? But I'm a guardian! I've got to help out my peeps! Etc. This one has only been so-so at sticking, but I'm still working on making it a proper habit.
  5. Basking. Focusing on what I accomplish rather than what I don't accomplish. Posting updates specifically about things that are great (toughed it out through a painful workout? Great! Sat in the sun and absorbed some vitamin D? Great! Made a tasty smoothie? Great!) rather than fixating on things I'm not happy with. 
  6. Re-focusing on 3 workouts a week, with at least 2 of them being a specific strength workout I do at home. I'm dealing with some cysts in my wrist that forced me to tweak the workout, so it took me a while to get back to the point where I was doing it consistently and feeling like I was progressing. 

So next up is Challenge #7 - the tomato strikes back. I turn bright red when I exert myself, because I'm a tomato and cardio is just this endless battle. 

I've been struggling with running for years now. I can run a 5K distance but I struggle to run more than 1-2x/week or increase my weekly mileage above the 4-5 mile range without getting shin splints. I'm very consistent in my running, but I keep getting stuck. So last challenge, I started to shift towards running 3x/week by splitting up the mileage across runs and focusing on using a 180BPM cadence to see if that helps with shin splints. I want to keep working on 3x/week runs this challenge. Most running advice says you need at least 3x MINIMUM to improve, so I'll see if that's true. 

Here are the deets:

• Run/walk 3x/week for 20 minutes, getting used to the 180BPM cadence
  • Continue to experiment with factors like running surface, shoe lacing, etc, to see how my shins do
  • If my legs bother me or I can't run for other reasons, try to sub in another form of cardio to take its place so I maintain the habit of doing something 3x/week (biking outside or on a machine, jumping, burpees, etc.)

Step 1 is to get used to the cadence so it feels less awkward. Step 2 is to be able to run 20 minutes 3x/week at that cadence without needing to walk. Step 3 is to increase one of those runs to 5K distance ASAP so that I don't lose my distance there. Step 4 is to start to experiment with total weekly distance, sprinting, hill work, and other types of running workouts once I have the base in place. Eventually, I'd like to be able to run a 10K distance for OCR purposes, run a 30-minute 5K, and run an 8 minute mile time for shorter runs. 

Mini-Challenge 1: Hiking

As part of cardio-type activities, I'd like to do more hiking. Hiking is quite possibly one of my favorite physical activities, but I don't do it that often these days. It's crazy good for you and it's fun and low impact. It's also a good way to explore. So! I'd like to go on 1 hike/week during this challenge, both in my current area and in the new area. If I succeed at doing all 4 hikes, I can reward myself with a hiking backpack to encourage even more hiking. I have fantasies about doing cooler dayhikes and things, so this is a good place to start. 

Mini-Challenge 2: TO DO LIST EXTRAVAGANZA 

SEPARATELY I'm moving at either the end of Week 1 or Week 2 of this challenge, so there are a million things to do. I'll do a separate mass of to dos before and after the move. 

BEFORE:

• Cancel internet
  • Cancel electricity
  • Do the thing with the forwarding address??
  • List a bunch of furniture on sale via Craigslist and flyers at my apartment
  • Get letter from Aikido sensei confirming my current number of practice hours 
  • Figure out what to do with my furniture if I can't sell it, and how the hell to get it out of my apartment anyway (I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment and there are only stairs)
  • Set up a lunch or something with local coworker-types
  • Get in at least one bootcamp class so I can say bye to peeps there
  • Contact my wrist doctor about anything I need in advance to be able to smoothly transfer info to a doc in the new location 
  • Donate other stuff I'm not keeping
  • Continue with swimming lessons / make sure to inform instructor about move coming up 
  • Use my actual apartment pool at least once
  • Hit up some of the items on my bucket list 
    • BBQ pub
    • Italian place
    • Local bargain store people love
    • Cool burger place in nearby town
    • Try running at a park that's supposed to have some soft trails
    • Maaaaybe the racetrack? But also apparently there have been a lot of horse deaths there this year so I might just boycott. 
    • There are some other things but I don't have the list in front of me so I'll update it later

AFTER:

• Find the local library and get set up with it
  • Update address with work
  • Find good places to run both right outside my front door and farther away
  • Find a good place to ride my bike
  • Find an asian market/grocery store
  • Find a wrist doctor
  • Find a place where I can practice swimming
  • Find someone I can potentially trust to cut my hair
  • Find a local farmer's market
  • Find a good lunchtime/after work walking route
  • Explore local fitness options...yoga, gyms, aikido, bootcampy classes, etc. I will not be able to do much until after my wrist is dealt with, but individual classes should be doable in the short term.)

Mini Challenge 3: Minimalist Food

Leading up to the move, I've got some pantry items to use up. I can get very overzealous about trying new recipes and foods, but I should focus on working my way through what I have and keeping it simple otherwise. I'll also end up going out a few times with coworkers/aikido peeps/to finish up my list of things to do locally, so I want to avoid overbuying food. 

After the move will be a big adjustment, because my boyfriend doesn't cook and eats out for all meals and we'll have to find some middle ground that does not involve the expansion of MY middle. So it makes sense to try to keep things simple and minimal while we adjust too. 

So, some guidelines:

• Only cook recipes I have successfully cooked before (or that are very simple - like I can try a new sauce on some chicken or something if it just involves mixing some things together and cooking it a normal way)
    • One exception...I have a quiche recipe I've already planned to make this coming week to use up some canned green chiles. 
  • Finish as much as I can from the freezer/pantry before the move and plan meals off of those items, filling in foods only as needed to round out the meal
  • Keep grocery shopping simple after the move (at least for the first 2 weeks) and try to avoid getting starry-eyed over the excitement of new grocery stores to explore 
  • ???
  • Like 14

Cheetah   
6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Reveal hidden contents

This year, I decided to focus on one habit per challenge. By the end of the year, that gives me the potential to have TEN NEW HEALTHY HABITS. So far I've:

1. Walked daily and/or at least 16 miles per week (anything above 12 is acceptable to me as long as it's not consistently that low)
  2. Established a morning routine
  3. Smoothies for breakfast and salads for lunch....this didn't stick...I've currently changed it to skipping breakfast most days (or eating only a small lunch on days where I have breakfast) and that has stuck better
  4. Doing hard things by reminding myself how much i like the archetype of the guardian. Don't want to do stuff at work? But I'm a guardian! I've got to help out my peeps! Etc. This one has only been so-so at sticking, but I'm still working on making it a proper habit.
  5. Basking. Focusing on what I accomplish rather than what I don't accomplish. Posting updates specifically about things that are great (toughed it out through a painful workout? Great! Sat in the sun and absorbed some vitamin D? Great! Made a tasty smoothie? Great!) rather than fixating on things I'm not happy with. 
  6. Re-focusing on 3 workouts a week, with at least 2 of them being a specific strength workout I do at home. I'm dealing with some cysts in my wrist that forced me to tweak the workout, so it took me a while to get back to the point where I was doing it consistently and feeling like I was progressing. 

• Cancel internet

Wait... what?  WHAT??  HOW WILL WE CHECK OUR THREADS IF YOU CANCEL THE INTERNET?!?!?! 

Seriously, though, if you cancel the whole internet, like, banks and stuff will suffer.  You should re-think this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Owlet   

Solidarity for cardio tomatoes! I've had people ask me if I'm ok after I've been running, that's how red I get xD Good luck with the list to end all lists!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Owlet said:

Solidarity for cardio tomatoes! I've had people ask me if I'm ok after I've been running, that's how red I get xD Good luck with the list to end all lists!

LOL me too. And this one: "WOW did you go to the beach or something?? You're so sunburned!"

:ambivalence: I'm covered in sweat and usually wearing workout clothes in these situations. DO THE MATH, PEOPLE. Haha. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Wait... what?  WHAT??  HOW WILL WE CHECK OUR THREADS IF YOU CANCEL THE INTERNET?!?!?! 

Seriously, though, if you cancel the whole internet, like, banks and stuff will suffer.  You should re-think this.

Nope, I'm doing it. You kids should just get off your newfangled devices and go outside or read a book or something!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Following!!!!

I like how you're forming this challenge around your move, rather than trying to do too much for a challenge where you already have so much on your plate. I'm not big on running right now because it puts a lot of strain on my joints, but maybe after I lose enough weight, I'll pick up running more. For cardio I do the elliptical right now. 

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hiking is so amazing. Take some pictures to share with us.

Yes!!!! I want all the pictures!!!! ^_^

• Like 3

Dagger   

I saw your list of to dos for moving and winced in sympathy. So much to do and get done when moving.

It sounds like you have a solid plan. :)

• Like 2

Owlet   
7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

LOL me too. And this one: "WOW did you go to the beach or something?? You're so sunburned!"

:ambivalence: I'm covered in sweat and usually wearing workout clothes in these situations. DO THE MATH, PEOPLE. Haha. 

I got that line literally just last weekend. Took my snow goggles and hat off, "oh wow you're so sunburned!" Nope, just a tomato. Thanks.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, RedStone said:

HULLOOOOOOO Lovely!!!! Good luck with the moooove!!!! Where you off to?? <3 <3 <3 

I'm working from home, so playing nomad a little. 2 months in VA with the boyfriend and then 2 months in CA with the parents. :) 

• Like 4

Week 0 Monday-Wednesday Update

Monday/Tuesday:

• Unpacked and worked and not much else. Headed back to NY on Wednesday morning.
  • Meant to run, but didn't have time/forgot since we ended up going to Ikea to get a bookshelf then building it so I could finish unpacking stuff before I left

Wednesday:

• 20 minute run/walk outside. I kept the laces the same as last time and didn't use calf sleeves, + used the metronome app, and my legs didn't bother me much. When I stopped to walk for a bit I felt the same two pains I've been feeling, but very faintly compared to how they have been - a pain in the left calf and some crampyness/aching in the right foot. So I don't THINK it's actually the surface I'm running on that's causing the problem? Cadence seems like it helps, though it's a lot of mental work still to keep up with. Also I was running as fast as a 9 minute/mile pace during some parts of the run, so it makes me go faster and definitely reduces impact to my shins. For the calf, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my form or if I just tweaked it and it's starting to recover. For the pain in my right foot, I think I might just need to mess with lacing more. SO MANY FACTORS. The app says I'm managing an average cadence of about 170BPM as I try to keep up with the beeps, which isn't bad all things considered. 
  • Had a swim lesson! We spent the whole class JUST working on breathing since that's my big issue. I really liked the class. We started with him dragging me while I practiced exhaling slowly, then moved to me just kicking off the side of the pool with my arms forward doing the same, then doing the same with kicking only, then finally doing the same with arms too. I really liked it! My lung capacity was like halved by the end of the lesson, but he said I was actually holding up really well because another adult he worked with recently was done after like 10 minutes. *preens*
  • I also told him about the move so we decided to double up on lessons for the next two weeks. So for the next two weeks I've got - M/Th Aikido and Tu/W swimming. :D 
  • Minimalist food - made an egg scramble with sausage and carmelized onions from the freezer for dinner. It was A++. Pulled some other things from the freezer to eat and made a list of things I have on hand.
  • I totally also planned to do a workout tonight to make up for slacking on Mon/Tues, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons. Tomorrow!

List progress:

On 8/8/2017 at 1:41 PM, NeverThatBored said:

BEFORE:

• Cancel internet
  • Cancel electricity
  • Do the thing with the forwarding address??
  • List a bunch of furniture on sale via Craigslist and flyers at my apartment
  • Get letter from Aikido sensei confirming my current number of practice hours 
  • Figure out what to do with my furniture if I can't sell it, and how the hell to get it out of my apartment anyway (I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment and there are only stairs)
  • Set up a lunch or something with local coworker-types
  • Get in at least one bootcamp class so I can say bye to peeps there
  • Contact my wrist doctor about anything I need in advance to be able to smoothly transfer info to a doc in the new location Found out I can go through their website for this, but still need to look at it to make sure I don't have any other questions. Still waiting for a callback with bloodwork deets too.
  • Donate other stuff I'm not keeping
  • Continue with swimming lessons / make sure to inform instructor about move coming up Done
  • Use my actual apartment pool at least once
  • Hit up some of the items on my bucket list 
    • BBQ pub
    • Italian place
    • Local bargain store people love
    • Cool burger place in nearby town
    • Try running at a park that's supposed to have some soft trails
    • Maaaaybe the racetrack? But also apparently there have been a lot of horse deaths there this year so I might just boycott. 
    • There are some other things but I don't have the list in front of me so I'll update it later

AFTER:

• Find the local library and get set up with it
  • Update address with work
  • Find good places to run both right outside my front door and farther away
  • Find a good place to ride my bike
  • Find an asian market/grocery store
  • Find a wrist doctor
  • Find a place where I can practice swimming
  • Find someone I can potentially trust to cut my hair I've been nagging my hairdresser for the past 2 weeks or so to try to get an appointment if they have cancellations (they're booked at least 3 months in advance at all times). By nagging I mean I called them once and then also messaged them on facebook once. My nagging paid off because they called me today and I'm going in tomorrow! (Also it's been a year since my last haircut. Whoops?)
  • Find a local farmer's market
  • Find a good lunchtime/after work walking route
  • Explore local fitness options...yoga, gyms, aikido, bootcampy classes, etc. I will not be able to do much until after my wrist is dealt with, but individual classes should be doable in the short term.)

Plan for tomorrow:

• Laundry and general tidying/cleaning
  • Eat chili from freezer + some loose vegetables from my fridge
  • Take pictures of all the furniture I need to sell and get it on Craigslist
  • Contact JB and confirm that I can drop in for a class or two
  • Set up lunch with coworkers
  • Haircut
  • Workout
  • Aikido 
  • Like 8

Sylvaa   
9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Find someone I can potentially trust to cut my hair I've been nagging my hairdresser for the past 2 weeks or so to try to get an appointment if they have cancellations (they're booked at least 3 months in advance at all times). By nagging I mean I called them once and then also messaged them on facebook once. My nagging paid off because they called me today and I'm going in tomorrow! (Also it's been a year since my last haircut. Whoops?)

So I cut my hair before vacation - in my book, you are doing well if it's only been a year! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are you enjoying Akido? I used to be part of a dojo that taught Aikido, but I was doing Kendo there. I'm thinking about going back to that gym. I really want to. Just thinking about doing more than just Kendo. 

Hair cuts are annoying... I don't blame you waiting for so long. LOL!

2 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Are you enjoying Akido? I used to be part of a dojo that taught Aikido, but I was doing Kendo there. I'm thinking about going back to that gym. I really want to. Just thinking about doing more than just Kendo. 

I'm a fan! I'm terrible at it because footwork and coordination are not my strong suits, but that's part of the fun. :) The thing about Aikido is that there's not a lot of traditional sparring with striking/defending. It's more about coordination and blending, so YMMV with whether you like it depending on what you want in a martial art. Rolling is also lots of fun. :) 

• Like 3