• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

NeverThatBored: The Tomato Strikes Back

1 hour ago, Bookish Badger said:

Unroll. Always. It allows one to experience the texture change from crusty on the outer edges to tender-gooey in the middle and makes the maximum mess. :) 

If it's a roll then I agree. But I actually prefer knotted ones because then it's yummy everywhere and not just in the middle! 

Also Swedish cinnamon buns >>> American ;) 

• Like 5

Wow! A lot has happened since I've been gone. It'll take me a bit to catch up! lol. 

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Important question: How do you eat cinnamon rolls? Do you unroll them, or just bite into them?

I unroll them! That's part of the fun of eating them in my opinion! 

2 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Why must you taunt us with such questions? Now all I can think about is warm pastry with a year's worth of sugar frosting and cinnamon melting into the - STOP IT STUPID BRAIN!!!

Unroll. Always. It allows one to experience the texture change from crusty on the outer edges to tender-gooey in the middle and makes the maximum mess. :) 

What Bookish Badger said ^^^^

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

Although since American calls it "rolls" I suppose they are all rolls instead of sometimes knots or braids or other awesome shapes.

American cinnamon rolls are these:

picz8aGbX.jpg

There's a type of doughnut called a cinnamon twist (these) but they aren't the same thing:

90001-unwrapped_clip.png

• Like 2

Dagger   
21 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

picz8aGbX.jpg

Skip the glaze, actually bake the buns until they have a bit more color (golden/brown instead of pale) and they look mostly like a traditional Swedish/Scandinavian cinnamon bun, but tastier. :P I usually bake them with extra butter (softer, nom nom) and extra cinnamon (nom nom), and especially for the filling I go down in sugar often (can't really take away much sugar from the dough because chemistry and yeast and stuff).

• Like 2

My mom seriously makes the best cinnamon rolls (American). She hasn't made them in years and she refuses to give anyone the recipe... but good lord were they good!!!!

• Like 3

zeroh13   

Unroll until it starts to fall apart (or I get bored), and then take bites. If I don't want to get my hands sticky, I'll eat it with a fork and knife instead. :P

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Yusss video gaming evenings! (And hello <3) 

You've got an even longer to-do list than I do! I love the weekly plan, that's a great idea. I know @Bean Sidhe does something similar, and I keep meaning to try it, but I just haven't gotten there yet. 

Sounds like you had a pretty nice Sunday all things considered! Keep it up :)

Not going to lie. Took me a minute to figure out who I killed and for how many kittens. Yes I have a To do list of Doom. It can help if it get stuck in playback in your brain ot write it out, but it can also be overwhelming when its 4 pages of notebook paper...

And cinnamon rolls I don't unroll. Probably should, would make it last longer. More often its "eat one before Agents of Chaos find them"

• Like 4

Severine   
On 8/15/2017 at 11:01 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Also I hate facebook. I've clicked on so many friggin' clickbait articles that popped up in my feed while I'm dealing with these messages. Such a waste of time! Ahhh. 

I rebelled and stopped using facebook several years ago. I never really posted on it but for many years I felt obligated to read it to stay caught up with people's lives. But mostly it just felt like a huge chore and when I finally decided to give myself permission to not be caught up the lives of people I'm not really in touch with anymore anyway, it was sooo freeing.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:53 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Uhhh. Things. But which things? Oh, I finished Dune! @Severine, I really enjoyed it! It had all of the elements of epic fantasy, which is my typical genre of choice, but in a sci fi setting. The scale of events and worldbuilding style, plus the sort of superpowered protagonist, reminded me a lot of The Prince of Nothing fantasy series (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/301538.The_Darkness_That_Comes_Before) so that might be worth a look for all you Dune fans. (It's a bit more M-rated though).

I'll admit I'm feeling the impulse to read more of the series now, even if you said they were iffy. 

Yay! So glad you enjoyed. Maybe I will check out that series! I also really like epic fantasy. And as for the rest of Dune...you can always start reading and give up on the later books if they don't speak to you. As someone mentioned on your thread (too lazy to go back and see who) it's an interesting enough world that even if the other books are not masterpieces, it can be worth it for the additional glimpses into the universe they supply.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:53 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Unrelated to anything, people keep making helpful suggestions about things on the forums and I feel like I'm responding to everyone like "no that won't work for me because XYZ." And it's always true, but at the same time I feel like a butt every time I do it. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:07 AM, Sylvaa said:

I'm pretty sure we all feel this way. It's a weird balance, because people WANT to be helpful, but then everyone has different situations that factor into that. If it's helpful, I don't usually take it personally when people are like, "yeah.... no" because I get it. But I also like getting advice that doesn't work for me, because perspective. 

But sometimes I see people leave advice in threads that I just want to scream and be like, "no, that's horrible" and then it makes me happy when the person is like "not gonna happen".

I totally feel you on this. Obviously on the forum it's impractical to convey all of the background details of our lives so it's inevitable that some of the suggestions are going to not make sense. So I don't feel too bad when someone suggests something and I have to say it's not for me. Because they had no way of knowing that I'm afraid of sailboats or dislike avocados or don't want to do crossfit or whatever other specific quirk about me makes their advice a bad fit. 

On 8/19/2017 at 1:18 PM, NeverThatBored said:

The Defenders came out on Netflix, so I watched it. All of it. #can'tstopwon'tstop

I've heard a lot of buzz about this!! I'm assuming this is an endorsement? I will have to check it out.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:01 PM, NeverThatBored said:

I passed 5000 posts! Neat! 

I did some much needed laundry in the morning. I've been reading Kelly Starrett's Deskbound, which I have to return to the library before I move (although there was an error when they checked it out so they don't actually know I have it). I also want to get a standing desk, and he has a whole chapter on how to arrange one, so it's timely. :) I think I found one I want to get. I'm excited about it! My boyfriend is kind of skeptical because I chose one that does not adjust to a sitting position. But let's be real, if I have the OPTION of sitting I will eventually just stop standing altogether. #allornothing

I have a standing desk and I love it! It does adjust though, and I like having the option to sit sometimes. My goal is to stand for at least 3 hours a day which I have been doing fairly easily so I will up it to four hours I think. 

My biggest piece of advice: get an anti-fatigue mat. Makes a HUGE difference.

11 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Important question: How do you eat cinnamon rolls? Do you unroll them, or just bite into them?

Unroll! No glaze, though. And I really only eat cinnamon rolls I make myself (my aunt's recipe) because store bought ones are always always a disappointment in comparison.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Severine said:

I've heard a lot of buzz about this!! I'm assuming this is an endorsement? I will have to check it out.

So, there are four different Marvel heroes, each with their own Netflix series: Daredevil (2 seasons so far), Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. They're all very different but I enjoyed them all for different reasons. Jessica Jones in particular was phenomenal, though very dark. The acting in Iron Fist was pretty bad, but it was still enjoyable if you can look past that. The other two were really solid.

The Defenders crosses over all four of them as they have to come together to defeat a common enemy. I really enjoyed it because I'm a sucker for both Marvel and crossovers, but I wouldn't say it wowed me. It was exactly what I expected but no more, if that makes sense? I enjoyed watching it and I was engaged in the characters and their interactions, but the plot itself felt a tad rushed? It was only 8 episodes compared the usual 13 or so for a series. 

I have a standing desk and I love it! It does adjust though, and I like having the option to sit sometimes. My goal is to stand for at least 3 hours a day which I have been doing fairly easily so I will up it to four hours I think. 

My biggest piece of advice: get an anti-fatigue mat. Makes a HUGE difference.

On it. :) Kelly Starrett recommends 4 components for a standing desk: a desk of the appropriate height for you, some sort of footrest, bar, step stool, or whatever to put a foot up on so you can shift positions, an anti-fatigue mat (or shoes depending on your setup), and a stool high enough that you can just sort of lean on it but not sit on it. 

I don't actually expect that I'll be comfortable standing all day right off the bat, but if I really need to I can unplug my laptop from the monitors and just go sit down for a bit as I get used to it. It's enough of a pain that I won't do it unless I actually need to though. 

Unrelated, there's also a video on YouTube from a class he taught where he talks about the whole box/human test scene from the beginning of Dune. It's pretty great.

I rebelled and stopped using facebook several years ago. I never really posted on it but for many years I felt obligated to read it to stay caught up with people's lives. But mostly it just felt like a huge chore and when I finally decided to give myself permission to not be caught up the lives of people I'm not really in touch with anymore anyway, it was sooo freeing.

Good for you! I don't use it much, and I often log myself out of it, but I like to check in maybe once a week to see what my family has been posting. I don't even know why really, because it's usually just nonsense. When I was checking it constantly to deal with all the furniture people, I just kept clicking all of these terrible clickbait articles that pop up. I sunk so much time that way, it was terrible! 

Unroll! No glaze, though. And I really only eat cinnamon rolls I make myself (my aunt's recipe) because store bought ones are always always a disappointment in comparison.

I hear you. I'm not actually a big cinnamon roll eater in general probably for this reason. They can be good, but store bought ones don't do anything for me. But there's a place at the local farmer's market that makes very good ones, so I got one there. I had it for lunch today and it was SO. MUCH. SUGAR. Whoops? I did not feel amazing after that. :P

I am also an unroller. But last time I was around someone while eating one, they thought that was weird and just bit into theirs?? So I wondered which was the more common way. It sounds like the majority of us are firmly in the unrolling camp, so that's cool. :D 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

My mom seriously makes the best cinnamon rolls (American). She hasn't made them in years and she refuses to give anyone the recipe... but good lord were they good!!!!

You've got to get that recipe out of her!

• Like 2

Severine   
29 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I hear you. I'm not actually a big cinnamon roll eater in general probably for this reason. They can be good, but store bought ones don't do anything for me

Your earlier post about pastries and how you got them home and decided you didn't like them that much made me think of this too. The vast majority of commercially available pies, muffins, scones, cookies, etc. are just a big disappointment. Apparently I am pretty picky about pastries and sweets? Because D happily eats all of the things I decide are not worth eating. I call him the Universal Pastry Acceptor which he finds amusing. But reminding myself that I am going to think a cookie is underwhelming is waaaay more effective in preventing me from buying it than thinking about my nutrition goals. The desire to save money is also more effective than thinking about nutrition goals. Tells you something, I guess.

Re: Defenders. I haven't seen any of those other shows at all. Do you think there's a correct order to watch stuff in, if I decided to try them out?

• Like 3

Cheetah   

Since y'all brought it up.  The best cinnamon roll I ever had was a place called the American Eagle truck stop outside of Mountain Home, Idaho.  They made them the size of a plate, and you could get one plus coffee for like 4 bucks.  My buddy and I used to get them on the way up to go snowboarding at Soldier Mountain.  I heard that truck stop got bought out by one of the chains, though, and they don't make the cinnamon rolls anymore.  Terrible shame.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Severine said:

Re: Defenders. I haven't seen any of those other shows at all. Do you think there's a correct order to watch stuff in, if I decided to try them out?

They came out in the order: Daredevil Season 1, Jessica Jones, Daredevil Season 2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist. I don't think you strictly HAVE to watch them in order. Each one stands alone. There are some crossovers and references in each one to the previous ones, particularly as you get into Luke Cage (Luke Cage first appears in Jessica Jones) and Iron Fist, so it may be worth doing if you want to catch all of those. That said, if you don't like any particular series I think it's also ok to stop watching and just jump to another one and you'll still be able to enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

Dagger   

I recently had super super good cinnamon buns/rolls in Norway. They called them the best cinnamon buns in the world and I could not dispute that fact because I couldn't remember any specific cinnamon bun that had been better.

They were pretty large. Oh nomnom.

And then they had this intriguing dish on their menu called Tommy's (one of the owners) Hearty Knockout. Which was basically a cinnamon bun, cut in two to make a sandwich with guacamole, scrambled eggs and bacon as the filling. We were all skeptical and then we tried it. IT WAS SO DAMN YUMMY! I've resolved to make bigger cinnamon buns in the future so I can make sandwiches/burgers of them.