Blocky rebuilds his Blockiness...

Blocky

Thrsday 24th Aug - No lifty day:

Conditioning:

30 mins of bouncing around between rows on the TRX and 1 min bike sprints. Also did some back extensions...

Lifting:

None.

Rambling:

I think the floor-pressing-aggression yesterday was good. I actually have a little DOMS (or DOMES... or DOEMS) in my upper body. That is a very rare thing for me....

Stick to the Plan!                             2/16    Epic fail

Continue the Conditioning!          8/16

Rebuild the Block                         2/16    Epic fail

Be less fat!                                          0/1       

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Real talk warning!!!!!!

A lot of my happiness and self worth is wrapped up in my lifting. When I can't lift, the sads set in pretty hard. I'm very aware that I'm not going to lose much strength in 6 weeks... but I worked really fucking hard to gain that strength and sacrificed a lot of things and even losing 5kg off a lift is enough to make me despair because I know it's going to take a really long time to come back.

End of real talk....

In other news... I can actually get up stairs now without hopping on my good leg... yay...

That is real talk and that is the truth for a lot of people. That's legit one of the main reasons I started hiking. I was worried I was getting wrapped up in lifting and needed a second fitness thing that I could do if I was injured or had a medical thing happen. If all else fails, you can usually walk. 

You are definitely not the only one who finds lifting to be a big source of joy in their life. Gains are addicting. 

• Like 5

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

I agree with TZ. I have to remind myself (OFTEN) when I can't lift that it doesn't effect how worthy I am as person. you're still awesome, Blocky! I know it's really hard at times like these but we'll be here to keep reminding you how great you are whether your goals are lifting PRs or sleeping PRs :) 

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Preach. I'm intentionally not lifting right now partially because I've been so wrapped up in strong=happy that I needed to step back and do something different. 

Injuries are simply an opportunity to re-evaluate your goals. Blocky is still going to have a cornerstone as weightlifting. You just need to get a couple different blocks of things that make you happy to be you.

• Like 6

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Friday 25th Aug - Whatever day:

Conditioning:

I tried to do something this morning but I was uninterested and ended up doing diddly (I was up most of the night with a whiny puppy)...

Lifting:

Leg extensions - did these pretty heavy, only a slight niggle in the busted muscle on the ecentrics.

Leg Press (on a cable version) - got up to an amazing 65kg before I noticed a niggle.

Back extensions x lots

Assistance: Assisted pullups, lat pulldowns

Rambling:

I really miss deadlifting right now.... normally friday is my deadlift day and I can barely bend forwards without my leg screaming.

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Saturday 26th Aug - Upperbody day:

Conditioning:

None. Took some sleeping tablets last night and got a good 9 hours. Still a bit groggy when I woke up.

Lifting:

Floor Press: Broke 2 more Pr's: A new 8RM of 92.5kg and a new 5RM at 100kg. This seems to be going well.

Closegrip bench + 10kg chains: 85kg for 3 triples

Assistance: Did my Blocky-gets-jacked-shoulders program ©    - overhead press, dumbbell press, upright rows and facepulls.

Did my prehab and rehab for my back.

Rambling:

We took our bassethound to the park to meet some of her instagram friends (for some reason, my dog has over 600 followers on the gram... I have about 60). It was fun to watch the gaggle of bassets playing.

• Like 2

Real Talk:

I think that focusing on bench right now is a good idea.  If you *know* that lifting is a cornerstone to your mental health, then an injury in one area is an opportunity to hone in on and strengthen another, right?  Maybe try some fancy upper body accessories that you don't normally have time for?

I do agree with TZ - another fitness habit is probably a good idea, but for me, lifting is the only fitness thing that makes me happy.  Everything else is a box to be checked, and when I am injured I just don't care about those boxes the way that I do when checking them helps me lift better.  So...I get it. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

9 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Real Talk:

I think that focusing on bench right now is a good idea.  If you *know* that lifting is a cornerstone to your mental health, then an injury in one area is an opportunity to hone in on and strengthen another, right?  Maybe try some fancy upper body accessories that you don't normally have time for?

Pretty much what I'm doing. I'm hitting my shoulders really hard at the moment.

9 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I do agree with TZ - another fitness habit is probably a good idea, but for me, lifting is the only fitness thing that makes me happy.  Everything else is a box to be checked, and when I am injured I just don't care about those boxes the way that I do when checking them helps me lift better.  So...I get it. 

Unfortunately, with the adductor all fucked up, I really couldn't do anything except lie down and bench - even walking was a major chore, stairs were almost impossible. It's a lot better this week and I've been able to bike and run a bit and stairs are manageable now.

• Like 1

Sunday 27th Aug - Non lifty day:

Conditioning:

Ended up doing 2 separate conditioning sessions to make up for eating like a moron on saturday.

Morning: A combination of pushups and slow running

Evening: jump rope and more slow running

Lifting:

None

Rambling:

Started watching Black sails with Mrs Blocky. It's not too bad but does tend to drag on a bit.

• Like 2

Monday 28th Aug - Everything day:

Conditioning:

Ran 2.2km and did a bunch of jumprope (200 jumps + 600m, 200 jumps + 500m, etc to 200 jumps and 100m)

Lifting:

Deadlift (high hip position): 90kg x 5, 100kg x 3, 110kg x 3... stopped there because of leg issues. This is exactly 50% of my max.

Leg Press: sets of 10 at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120kg(wider foot position hurts, narrow not so bad)

Back extensions.

Speed Bench: 9 triples at 67.5kg + 10kg band tension

Assistance: Blocky-gets-jacked-shoulders program ©    - overhead press, dumbbell press, upright rows and facepulls.

Rambling:

It's encouraging that I'm starting to do things I enjoy again. It's only 50% of my max but it's something. If I don't fuck it up, it should get better from here.

Continue the Conditioning!          9/16

• Like 4

Tuesday 29th Aug - No lifty day:

Conditioning:

More running today: 10 sets of 15 kettlebell swings and 200m run

Lifting:

On paper - nothing... BUT I might get in later and do some rows and biceppy things...

Rambling:

Mrs Blocky and I have been quite on point with foody things for about 5 days in a row (which is a bit of a record for us)... and combined with the extra running, I'm already down 2kg... I might be able to at least be less fat for this challenge even if I am gimpy and weak...

Continue the Conditioning!          10/16

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Rambling:

Mrs Blocky and I have been quite on point with foody things for about 5 days in a row (which is a bit of a record for us)... and combined with the extra running, I'm already down 2kg... I might be able to at least be less fat for this challenge even if I am gimpy and weak...

blocky becoming rectangulary? 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

giphy.gif

i just watched this for way too long thinking about how much i love him

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

17 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

giphy.gif

I guess it's more like blobby gets blocky...

NF_Blocky.png

• Like 3

Wednesday 30th Aug - Upper Body day:

Conditioning:

I did 4 rounds of:

10 unweighted box skwaats (starting to get back to normal - I still feel a slight pulling sensation on the eccentric, when that goes away I'll start adding weight)

10 back extensions

600m run

Lifting:

Floor Press: matched last weeks PR at 120kg. I'm happy with that because I felt awful throughout my warmup sets. It's good mentally - hitting a PR once could be a fluke... twice makes it legit in my mind. Then I backed down to 114kg for another 3 singles.

Feetup Bench + chains: 3 x 5 at 80kg + 10kg chain... felt good.

Assistance: Pushups, dips and pushdowns

Rambling:

Nothing to ramble about today...

Continue the Conditioning!          11/16

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Blocky said:

Lifting:

Floor Press: matched last weeks PR at 120kg. I'm happy with that because I felt awful throughout my warmup sets. It's good mentally - hitting a PR once could be a fluke... twice makes it legit in my mind. Then I backed down to 114kg for another 3 singles.

Feetup Bench + chains: 3 x 5 at 80kg + 10kg chain... felt good.

Assistance: Pushups, dips and pushdowns

a PR once is not a fluke my friend. a PR means you may not be able to hit it all the time, but you can hit it. 

I'm glad you were able to match it though! That always feels good. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

a PR once is not a fluke my friend

I'd like to believe that... but last year I somehow managed to squat 185kg (with 10kg of extra chain weight) and was never able to come within 10kg of matching it... no idea how or why it happened... (I even checked the vid I took and counted the plates and it was legit)...

Now I want to DL 220 again. I've only done it once and still barely believe it happened...

Thursday 31st Aug - No lifty day:

Conditioning:

10 rounds of: 15 crazyball swings and 150m fast run (I still hesitate to call it a sprint.. although I steadily increased the speed until the last round I was running at 12.5km/hr - my comfortable running speed is usually about 10km/hr)

Lifting:

None

Rambling:

I may try and get some more running in this afternoon... but I also want to get the yard work done so I have the weekend free... it is threatening to rain a little bit which will fuck that plan up if it does.

Continue the Conditioning!          12/16

19 hours ago, Blocky said:
10 rounds of: 15 crazyball swings and 150m fast run (I still hesitate to call it a sprint.. although I steadily increased the speed until the last round I was running at 12.5km/hr - my comfortable running speed is usually about 10km/hr)

I'm no expert, but in my opinion if you're running faster than normal, you're sprinting.

19 hours ago, Blocky said:

I may try and get some more running in this afternoon... but I also want to get the yard work done so I have the weekend free... it is threatening to rain a little bit which will fuck that plan up if it does.

Running in the rain isn't terrible so long as the terrain is suitable?? Does your usual running trail get muddy/slippery?

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

4 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Running in the rain isn't terrible so long as the terrain is suitable?? Does your usual running trail get muddy/slippery?

At the moment, I'm all about the treadmill life... the rain remarks were more to do with the yard work. Having said that, the 5km trail near my house is a good run, but it gets ridiculous in the rain (it has a lot of mossy areas that turn into slip and slides and a lot of it disappears underwater)

• Like 1

Friday 1st September - Lower body day  or  "Blocky makes a comeback":

Conditioning:

400m intevals running - 3km total

Lifting:

Conventional Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 2, 145kg x 2, 150kg x 2 (felt a slight twinge on this set)... I really wanted to hit 155kg which would be 70% of max but nevermind.

High Box Squat: 40kg x 5, 60kg x 5, 80kg x 5, 5, 5 (felt a little unstable probably due to the tweak on the deadlifts).

Leg Press: 3 x 12 at 140kg painfree

Core: 1 arm Farmers Walk: 25kg x 60m each hand, 35kg x 60m each hand, 45kg x 30m each hand x 2.   Back extensions and planks

Rambling:

Progress! Not great but definitely getting there...

Continue the Conditioning!          13/16

• Like 1

Saturday 2nd September - Upperbody:

Conditioning:

None.

Lifting:

Floor Press: Set new PR's on 8RM, 5RM and 3RM - edged them all upby 2.5 kg. They are now super close to my bench press PR's. Also did many sets of 8 at 82.5kg.

Closegrip Bench+ chains: Sets of 8 at 65kg

Assistance: Blocky-gets-jacked-shoulders program © 

Rambling:

Mrs Blocky got me an Atari2600 thingy - lots of terrible games but it does have asteroids, space invaders and frogger.

/Stick to the Plan!                             2/16    Epic fail

• Like 2

Sunday 3rd September - No lifty day:

Conditioning:

3 rounds of 20 crazybell swings, 50 jumps and 60seconds cycling to warmup

400m slow run, then:

10 x 200m jog/sprint with 60s rest

Lifting:

None

Rambling:

• Like 2

Monday 4th September - Lowerbody day:

Conditioning:

Jumprope and kettlebell swings

Lifting:

Box Squat: worked up to 3 at 120kg (around 65% of max)

Deadlift: worked up to 2 at 155kg (around 70% of max)

Comp Squat: worked up to 3's at 90kg (around 50% of max)

Assistance: Leg Press sets of 15 at 140kg

Rambling:

Just got me a new 13mm belt and it's stiff as fuck - I put it on and then it took me 10mins to get it off! Also got some new yellow jacket sleeves (there's a new version available) and they are much better than the last ones I had.

Continue the Conditioning!          14/16

• Like 2