ICB Watches the Watchman VII

ICB

1. Strong Enough to Shoulder It

He grabbed the Librarian by two handfulls of chest hair and pulled him up to eye height.
'I'm not bloody well going to have it, understand?' Vimes shouted, shaking the ape back and forth.

'Oook,' the Librarian pointed out, patiently.
'What? Oh. Sorry,' Vimes lowered the ape, who wisely didn't make an issue of it because a man angry enough to lift three hundred pounds of Orangutan without noticing is a man with too much on his mind. -- Guards, Guards

Goal: Lift Heavy Things (preferably not Orangutans) 3 times a week

Gym is good, lifting is good, I'm seeing nice results in my form and starting to improve my strength. Onward!

2. Dis-Organizer Mark V

'Good Morning, Insert Name Here! I am the Dis-Organizer Mark Five, "The Gooseberry"TM. How may I —' it began, speaking fast in order to get as much said as possible before the inevitable interruption.
'I swear I switched you off,' said Vimes.
'You threatened me with a hammer,' said the imp accusingly, and rattled the tiny bars. 'He threatens state-of-the-Craft technomancy with a hammer, everybody!' it shouted. 'He doesn't even fill in the registration card!' -- Thud!

Goal: Keep Bullet Journal Updated 80% of the time

This was a big success last time, so I'm going to keep it going. As in all things, trying to be better than 80% is frequently counter-productive, so I'll stick with the 80% goal.

3. Run Hungry

Someone was running, and they were chasing. They were chasing because he was running, and he was running because they were chasing. -- Men At Arms

Goal: Run 2 times a week

Goal: 18-hour Fast 2 times a week

I'm splitting this into two trackable goals: running and fasting. They'll still be scheduled for the same day, but now I'll be able to see better if fasting or running is the bigger problem. I didn't do great on this last challenge because I either ran OR fasted, but rarely did both.

Special Long-Term Quest: Cholesterol II

Vimes carefully lifted the top of the bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich and smiled inwardly. Good old Cheery. She knew what a Vimes BLT was all about. It was about having to lift up quite a lot of crispy bacon before you found the miserable, skulking vegetables. You might never notice them at all. -- Thud!

Goal: Lower cholesterol numbers (significantly) by August.

No changes here. Should have a doctor's appointment sometime this month, then we'll be recalibrating.

• Like 2

Scoreboard:

1. Strong Enough

Goal: Lift 3 times a week

Week 1 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 2 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 3 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 4 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

0/12

2. Dis-Organizer Mark V

Goal: 80% Update Bullet Journal

Week 1 ✔✔☐☐☐☐☐

Week 2 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 3 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 4 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

0/28

3. Run Hungry

Goal: Run 2 times a week

Week 1 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 2 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 3 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 4 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

0/8

Goal: Fast 2 times a week

Week 1 ☐✔☐☐☐☐☐

Week 2 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 3 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Week 4 ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

0/8

Hat-tip to @Luciana Valerosa Culming for the formatting idea!

unicode: ✔✘☐

• Thanks 1

That success is great!

I've been considering lifting lately.  I tend to prefer bodyweight, but, well, iron.  (I also sort of want to find a boxing gym, but there don't seem to be any around me.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That success is great!

I've been considering lifting lately.  I tend to prefer bodyweight, but, well, iron.  (I also sort of want to find a boxing gym, but there don't seem to be any around me.)

Thanks!

*climbs tiny soapbox* Dallas used to have a long, proud history of neighborhood boxing gyms, especially around colleges and in uptown and Knox/Henderson. Gentrification has pushed almost all of them out, replacing them with Title Boxing Gyms that focus more on burning calories in half an hour than on technique. It's a really sad loss of an important area that supported so many amateur boxing circuits and coaches. It bums me out, man. All the way out. *falls off of soapbox*

• Sad 1
That sucks! Are there any boxing gyms left?

There's a couple here and there, but mostly they're small places that can only afford low-rent corners of downtown. With a few exceptions, the whole metroplex has been taken over by Crossfit, Title boxing, and MMA/BJJ gyms.

IT'S TIME FOR A SUDDEN POLITICALLY MOTIVATED CHANGE IN THEME!

I'll return to honing my inner Vimes-ness next month, but recent events demand a different kind of hero: He's brave. He's strong. He's smart. He's got experience dealing with the kinds of people we're facing. He's Indiana Jones.

S24AFsI.gif

1. Lifting the Ark

Goal: Lift Heavy Things 3 times a week

Gotta hone those punching muscles

BclaMPo.gif

2. Hit the Books

Goal: Keep Bullet Journal Updated 80% of the time

I came here to organize my personal life and punch Nazis.

AND THINGS ARE GOING PRETTY SMOOTHLY AT THE MOMENT

gG3jG7F.gif

3. Run Hungry

Goal: Run 2 times a week

Cardio is important for archaeologists

wmdrT11.gif

Goal: 18-hour Fast 2 times a week

giphy.gif

Special Long-Term Quest: Cholesterol II

Goal: Lower cholesterol numbers (significantly) by August.

No changes here. Should have a doctor's appointment sometime this month, then we'll be recalibrating.

Special Quest: Punching Bag

Goal: Find a heavy bag

I'm going to try to find a heavy bag that I can throw some punches at. I'd really like to get back into the martial side of practical fitness for, er, obvious reasons.

3WNHCvL.gif

• Like 3

I'm still not over the fact that you don't have any good, old-school boxing gyms down there. But it's not surprising, I guess. They're a dying thing.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but have you considered reaching out to any MMA gyms or anything like that? They're expensive, but barring a regular gym having a heavy bag, they're the next best bet.

33 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I'm still not over the fact that you don't have any good, old-school boxing gyms down there. But it's not surprising, I guess. They're a dying thing.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but have you considered reaching out to any MMA gyms or anything like that? They're expensive, but barring a regular gym having a heavy bag, they're the next best bet.

Me too! I don't mean to paint too bleak a picture, there's definitely a couple around. Maple Avenue is a good example. But they're rare—30+ minutes away from me with no traffic—and expensive. At that price, I'd have to go regularly to make it worth it, and at that distance I know I won't go regularly. I checked with my local YMCA today, and they don't have a heavy bag anywhere in the building (The shame! The scandal!).

I'm not ready to go back to a class environment just yet. I'll keep looking, but I may be out of luck until I can afford to buy into a school.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, ICB said:

I checked with my local YMCA today, and they don't have a heavy bag anywhere in the building (The shame! The scandal!).

WHAT GOOD IS A YMCA WITHOUT A HEAVY BAG AND A RACK OF RANDOM WORN IRON, I ASK YOU.

• Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 8/21/2017 at 2:45 PM, Toshimi said:

just stopping by to say Hi and see how things are going?

On 8/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, Kishi said:

Yeah! Oi! How's it over here?

I done fell off of that there wagon last month! I covered Quakecon for PC Gamer, and though that was a lot of fun, it totally threw off my schedule and I never got back on it.

BUT - one successful quest from this challenge: I found a heavy bag! My wife's work apparently has a gym membership benefit, which got me a membership to a nearby LA Fitness that has heavy bags and (and!) a pool to swim laps. The pool wasn't even on my list, but now that I have access to it I'm really happy about it.

On to the next one!

• Like 2