• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Umar   

I am new to working out. I have started body-weight workouts. I perform 2 sets of 10 push-ups and 10 assisted chin-ups (which don't follow a set-based method) on Monday. Two sets of 10 Lunges, 2 sets of 10 sit-ups and 10 reps of calf-raises for each leg on Tuesday. My questions  are

1. Are these 5 types of exercises enough for the most part of my body?

2. When should I increase reps and/or sets and then resistance?

3. What are the exercises which I "must" include that which I have missed.

Optional:My weight is 74 kg, age is 20 and height is 5' 10".

In general, you need a push movement (pushups), a pull movement (chin/pull ups), and a leg movement (squats or lunges) to hit all of the major muscle groups.  You can also add a core movement (planks or leg raises > situps), if you want, though doing the other three with correct form will also target your core.

There are plenty of variations on those 4 movements, if you want to do more.  I always recommend Start Bodyweight's progressions to those looking to build their own routine.

By their recommendation, you should increase reps whenever you're able and move to the next progression when you can do 3 sets of 12 reps.

Also, unless you're working with a time restriction, there's no reason to do a split schedule when first starting to workout.  You'll get the similar results doing all 3-5 exercises the same day, 3 times a week.

Garris   

I'm working on my new body weight programming for myself, I'm using an A B split for each workout.

A -

8 feet elevated pushups

8 Bulgarian split squats(each leg)

3 10 sec eccentric chin up

perform each excersice one after another then rest 2 mins between sets (3 sets)

Then move on to B

B -

8 Bench dip knees bent 

15 lying knee tucks

3 3 sec eccentric pull ups

15 hip thrusts

perform each excersice one after another then rest 2 mins between set(3 sets)

this is takes me about 40 mins and I do it 3 times a week.

body weight is great for increasing resistance , those push ups to easy, put your feet up on a chair and do them. I found my elevated push-ups easier than I thought. So I recorded myself for my last set and my form was a bit sloppy. I'll do them anther coupe times to tighten up my firm and then probably move onto Diamond push ups.

If your easily doing 2 sets of 10  you can do a couple things:

Increase intensity (time under tension)- try doing your push-ups a lot slower than you normally do, if it normally takes you 3 secs for a rep. Try lowering down for 3 secs, holding for 2 secs at the bottom and then pushing up to lockout for 2.

add weight - get a back pack, and throw some books in it. (Weigh the back pack) add 2 lbs, try it out, to easy add some more

progress to a harder variation - feet elevated push-ups, diamond push-ups, one hand elevated push-ups 

Increase Volume - right now your total volume is 20, maybe try 3 sets of 8 which would put you up to 24 total volume

If you look at starting body weight.com website they have a progression list for each excersice 

personally, I'd ditch the calve raises, that's an isolation or one muscle excerise and go to something like a step up, which is a compound movement( multi joint and muscle movement)