Xantae's 4th challenge.

Xantae

1.       Halve fast food consumption. My average weekly consumption is 4 times a week. I’m going to aim for only 2 times a week.

2.       Sugar Free Sunday. It’s exactly what it sounds like. I got the idea from Meatless Monday—one day a week where you don’t eat a particular something. This is exactly what it sounds like—on Sundays, no consuming sodas, energy drinks, candy, or anything with sugar in it.

3.       Meatless Monday. My goal is to go full blown vegetarian. This is my starting spot. The rules are simple, no eating meat or fish. Eggs and milk are fine, though.

4.       Daily scheduling. I got this one from Cal Newport’s “How to be a Straight A Student.” This one is also straightforward, I’m just going to be making a schedule for myself each morning, and using a day planner to coordinate it. I’m starting school prep a little early this year.

I’m going to post my progress each day. I almost posted “I’m going to try to post my progress…” and then I remembered the wise words of Yoda: “Do or do not, there is no try.” I’ve failed at this before, but this time I’ll be putting it into my Habitica dailies. That ought to keep me motivated to post each day.

• Like 6

Hi! If/when I come up with some questions, I'll ask you first :). The first day didn't go so well. As a matter of fact, I forgot about the challenge completely after waking up with about 30 min left until work. It takes me about 15-20 min to drive to work, so...kinda slipped my mind. The second day was going ok, then I had a horrible afternoon and after a long day at work, paired with a long day at home, I wound up going out for fast food, so there goes my sugar free thing. Tomorrow should be better, though, as it's the last day before my vacation. 

• Like 3

I always find I start challenges better on Mondays. :) I hope things went better today!

Do you have a game plan for halving your fast food consumption? Like stashes of healthy snacks or putting together healthy meals ahead of time? If not, you might want to look into it and try adding a thing or two in each week to meet your goal. Food-related goals are the most difficult for me, and I've found that if I have something ready, I can't justify fast food or whatever else I'm avoiding. I hope that helps. :)

• Like 3

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

7 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I always find I start challenges better on Mondays. :) I hope things went better today!

Do you have a game plan for halving your fast food consumption? Like stashes of healthy snacks or putting together healthy meals ahead of time? If not, you might want to look into it and try adding a thing or two in each week to meet your goal. Food-related goals are the most difficult for me, and I've found that if I have something ready, I can't justify fast food or whatever else I'm avoiding. I hope that helps. :)

Hey! Today did go better, as a matter of fact. I stuck to my Meatless Monday easily. Part of it is that after eating a big greasy burger with onion rings, I feel like crap. My acid reflux is having a field day. I kept waking up and having to eat some tums.

I do have a fast food plan, and it's comprised of several parts. Part 1--dealing with stress better. I find that I crave fast food and similar crap when I'm really stressed out. My therapist and I are working on that together. Part 2-making healthy meals in advance. I have a habit of doing my grocery shopping and cooking on the same day. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, and I just go get fast food anyway(see part 1). Part 3--monetary goals. Or should I say...spare fund goals. The realization that eating fast food is taking up a lot of my spare money. So I've been setting myself goals for things I want to do or get and telling myself that I can't do/get it if I eat fast food. 

I do need some healthy snacks, though. The best healthy snacks I can think of are bananas and carrot sticks. That gets old fast. So Part 4 is finding healthy snacks. Because I have been known to go through the drive thru for sweet snacks like ice cream. And I almost always go overboard on it.

• Like 4
On 8/11/2017 at 2:31 PM, Xantae said:

1.       Halve fast food consumption. My average weekly consumption is 4 times a week. I’m going to aim for only 2 times a week.

2.       Sugar Free Sunday. It’s exactly what it sounds like. I got the idea from Meatless Monday—one day a week where you don’t eat a particular something. This is exactly what it sounds like—on Sundays, no consuming sodas, energy drinks, candy, or anything with sugar in it.

3.       Meatless Monday. My goal is to go full blown vegetarian. This is my starting spot. The rules are simple, no eating meat or fish. Eggs and milk are fine, though.

4.       Daily scheduling. I got this one from Cal Newport’s “How to be a Straight A Student.” This one is also straightforward, I’m just going to be making a schedule for myself each morning, and using a day planner to coordinate it. I’m starting school prep a little early this year.

I’m going to post my progress each day. I almost posted “I’m going to try to post my progress…” and then I remembered the wise words of Yoda: “Do or do not, there is no try.” I’ve failed at this before, but this time I’ll be putting it into my Habitica dailies. That ought to keep me motivated to post each day.

I love all your goals. It seems you have a good plan in place. I tend to start the school prep early as well, but this year it just didn't happen and now I am paying the price. Just make sure you don't overschedule yourself either. that can be hard to handle as well.

Yoda is very wise.

I do the same thing with my daily chores. Checking in here is one of them (and not a challenge thing) so I feel better when I have been honest with myself about how things are going.

It sounds that while you had a rough first day (Honestly, I wouldn't count it since you were unaware. We all start on whatever day works for us), but that your Monday went much better.

9 hours ago, Xantae said:

I do need some healthy snacks, though. The best healthy snacks I can think of are bananas and carrot sticks. That gets old fast. So Part 4 is finding healthy snacks. Because I have been known to go through the drive thru for sweet snacks like ice cream. And I almost always go overboard on it.

I generally make my own seed and dried fruit mix. Its pretty good and since I am allergic to nuts, I can't have most of those. Kraft has these things called Trios (They are by the lunchables) and they are cheese, dried fruit and either granola or dark chocolate. I use those in a pinch when I start to sugar crash. I also tend to have Green pepper and cucumber that I cut up for my lunches, but I can snack on them as well. I know @Wobbegong is a huge fan of cheese as a snack. You can also get like a watermelon or pinepple or other fruit and have it pre-cut so you can just make a servings size and eat it.

Looking forward to following you

• Like 4

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Did somebody say cheese? ;)

I am a fan of high-fat snacks in general, especially to combat sugar cravings. I've found string cheese works wonders for me because it's pre-portioned, as do nuts if you can eat them (obviously don't go there if you're allergic) because I just serve a small amount from the container and walk away from the rest. The reason I prefer snacks like that over veggie snacks is that they're more filling, so I get full quickly and don't train myself to just sit there eating bell pepper spear after spear. Protein also works well for this, and I really like deli-sliced turkey spread with hummus and rolled into logs. (Although... experiment a bit with your hummus options, I've had this snack be the most disgusting food I've ever met as well as tremendously delicious depending.) 

I am a big proponent of mindful snacking. I believe strongly that if you're craving something, you should go ahead and eat it! But while you eat it, you need to really focus on it so that you don't miss the experience. I've had a lot of trouble in the past with plowing through bags of candy without even noticing because I'm watching TV or doing something else at the time. Now, if I'm craving a Reese's, I have one -- slowly. I look at it. I listen to the wrapper as I take it off. I smell the candy. I put it in my mouth and think about what it tastes like. I focus on enjoying it. And then once I've finished I ask myself if my craving is sated, and if it's not, and if I enjoyed the first, I have another one! Usually I find that it doesn't take twenty to satisfy me, one or two will do. (The second one is never as good as the first.) 

Go ahead and experiment with snacks to figure out what works for you. Think outside the box. One of my biggest breakthroughs came when I gave up on eating "breakfast food" only for breakfast and "snack food" only for snacks. Sometimes I make a meal out of snack food. Sometimes I have leftovers from dinner for breakfast, or pancakes for dinner. Eat what you really want to be eating, when you want it. Life's too short to skip things you enjoy or force yourself to eat things you dislike. (That said, for some people depending on where you're starting it may take time to retrain your taste buds away from HFC and other additives. Give yourself a chance to like healthy food if you don't already.) 

• Like 5

Avacado with sea salt.... or veggies and cream cheese. Favorite snacks.

i used to be a huge grazer, but a few years ago I had 2 things that changed my frame of thinking:

1. In a weight lifting podcast I used to listen to one guy said: "Anytime you eat, it's a meal, not a snack, a meal" your body is going to absorb anything you eat. 

2. In the book the Warrior Diet, he talks about using life to fill in your snacking. When you want to eat, do something creative, call someone. Life isn't about food, life is about living and food is to give us the energy for it, not to waste our energy on food.

Your goals are so cool by the way! might steal no sugar Sunday for my kids! 

• Like 3

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Carrots with hummus are delicious if you get one you like, and I bet it would be good with bell pepper sticks too. Celery or apples with peanut butter is tasty. I've heard bananas and peanut butter also go well together...Berries and super dark chocolate are also nummy if you need something sweet (I use 72% cacao). "Balanced Breaks" from Sargento are a mix of cheese, nuts, and dried fruits. They look small, but I find they do the job (for me anyway). 

When I plan snacks, I try to get a protein and a fat in with my fruits/veggies, and I'm not opposed to eating food food for a snack either if I feel I need it. One of my favorite "foods" is a hardboiled egg with whole grain crackers (or pita bread!), Swiss cheese, and tomato slices. Nom. (When I studied in Egypt, we had this with bread as breakfast.)

Anywho, the nice thing about you trying to prep your meals is that you can account for your snack calories to keep everything within your goals so you can try lots of different stuff! Let us know what you find too because I'm sure lots of us are always on the lookout for a tasty, healthy snack or meal-as-snack that we hadn't thought of before!

• Like 3

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

On 8/15/2017 at 9:12 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

I generally make my own seed and dried fruit mix. Its pretty good and since I am allergic to nuts, I can't have most of those.

I make my own mix because the store bought ones usually have nuts I don't like, dried fruit with added sugar, and aren't actually that good for you...

I like to add granola too (preferably that I made).

On 8/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, Wobbegong said:

I really like deli-sliced turkey spread with hummus and rolled into logs. (Although... experiment a bit with your hummus options, I've had this snack be the most disgusting food I've ever met as well as tremendously delicious depending.) 

Hummus goes well with a lot of things. But not all hummus is created equal.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, Wobbegong said:

Sometimes I have leftovers from dinner for breakfast, or pancakes for dinner.

Sometimes I'll have leftovers as a snack.

7 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

"Balanced Breaks" from Sargento are a mix of cheese, nuts, and dried fruits. They look small, but I find they do the job (for me anyway). 

I buy these all the time! 

I also buy a lot of Greek yogurt. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Hey @Xantae, where'd you go?  How was week 1?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 8/13/2017 at 11:49 PM, Xantae said:

Hi! If/when I come up with some questions, I'll ask you first :). The first day didn't go so well. As a matter of fact, I forgot about the challenge completely after waking up with about 30 min left until work. It takes me about 15-20 min to drive to work, so...kinda slipped my mind. The second day was going ok, then I had a horrible afternoon and after a long day at work, paired with a long day at home, I wound up going out for fast food, so there goes my sugar free thing. Tomorrow should be better, though, as it's the last day before my vacation. 

How are you doing, we ahven't heard from you in a bit

• Like 1

@Xantae I'm not letting you escape. >D How goes it?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 8/20/2017 at 5:10 PM, fleaball said:

Hey @Xantae, where'd you go?  How was week 1?

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

@Xantae I'm not letting you escape. >D How goes it?

On 8/22/2017 at 6:49 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

How are you doing, we ahven't heard from you in a bit

Hey guys! Sorry for my absence. I went on vacation and kinda forgot about this. All in all though, the first week went pretty well. I kept to my sugar free Sunday, and my Meatless Monday.  I struggled a little with the daily schedules, but I made one most days. I kept inside of my fast food limits--only had fast food twice. Week 2, however, I have no excuses. I failed my sugar free Sunday (not badly, just a little bit of candy before I remembered it was Sunday.), and I still completely forgot about this thread. Oops. I did stick to my Meatless Monday, though, and I scheduled all but one day. I ate fast food zero times--woohoo! That's a record, I haven't got a clue when the last time I didn't eat fast food at least once in a week was. As for this week, I'm getting off to an okay start. I did my schedule yesterday and I haven't eaten any fast food. I did however completely forget about sugar free Sunday yet again. I'm eating a bowl of cereal as I post. Not one of the incredibly sugary ones, but it still has some added sugar. It could've been worse, for sure. I believe the week will get better though, I have tomorrow's meals planned out so there will be no need to eat meat. And I just had a brainwave literally right now as I write--I'm going to start making my schedules at night. I'm not a morning person and I'm already going to be getting up around 7 to get to my morning classes. Knowing me, I'll hit snooze a couple times, panic when I finally realize what time it is, and bolt out the door with no breakfast. So having that done the previous night will be a good thing. I think much clearer at night, I'm just a night owl by nature. I'll keep you guys posted, and I'll do better than I did last week at that.It should be easier, since I'll be at my computer much more often now that school is starting. 

Also, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the awesome snack suggestions and advice. Most of those treats sound yummy! Thanks again everyone for reading this, it means a lot. Next time I post, I'll try not to write a book :D.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Xantae said:

Also, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the awesome snack suggestions and advice. Most of those treats sound yummy! Thanks again everyone for reading this, it means a lot. Next time I post, I'll try not to write a book :D.

First off, this is not a book. Promise. So no worries.

Second, we understand things happen, but we are glad to have you back.

I had just asked when you would make your schedules but I see you are ahead of me. I have similar mornings (although I am trying to get 3 people out the door) so I understand it not happening in the morning. Let us know how the week goes and you can check in anytime. And Good luck with school starting.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

First off, this is not a book. Promise. So no worries.

Second, we understand things happen, but we are glad to have you back.

I had just asked when you would make your schedules but I see you are ahead of me. I have similar mornings (although I am trying to get 3 people out the door) so I understand it not happening in the morning. Let us know how the week goes and you can check in anytime. And Good luck with school starting.

Thanks for the reassurances on my long post :). I couldn't imagine trying to get 3 people out the door, I can barely get myself out lol. Just wanted to check in today. Today went well on the Meatless Monday front, I didn't eat any meat. I also made my schedule and kept to it fairly well. I'm still in the process of making tomorrow's schedule. And thanks for the good luck at school, I'm going to need it. Mostly to not strangle the teacher who assigned the book the day before classes began :).

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Xantae said:

Thanks for the reassurances on my long post :). I couldn't imagine trying to get 3 people out the door, I can barely get myself out lol. Just wanted to check in today. Today went well on the Meatless Monday front, I didn't eat any meat. I also made my schedule and kept to it fairly well. I'm still in the process of making tomorrow's schedule. And thanks for the good luck at school, I'm going to need it. Mostly to not strangle the teacher who assigned the book the day before classes began :).

Not a problem. I use to be the same way about long posts. Now I am of the "People can read it or skim it or skip if they really feel it is necessary."

Fortunately, I went from getting me out the door to me +1 then me+2 and now they are both old enough, most of it is on them. But we do have an extra kid most mornings so that was a new +1 to learn.

I am glad to hear that today went better. And I would honestly rather have a book assigned the day before school starts than one of my classes this semester. It does not have a book at all, but it looks to make heavy use of online technical articles which the 2 this week are 79 pages and 45 pages in PDF.  I don't really want to print those out every week just to be able to read them when I am sitting somewhere waiting. I am trying to read on a tablet for the first time, but its giving me a headache...

Good luck with the teacher, maybe this is their one dumb moment and it will go better from here.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2017 at 8:38 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Not a problem. I use to be the same way about long posts. Now I am of the "People can read it or skim it or skip if they really feel it is necessary."

Fortunately, I went from getting me out the door to me +1 then me+2 and now they are both old enough, most of it is on them. But we do have an extra kid most mornings so that was a new +1 to learn.

I am glad to hear that today went better. And I would honestly rather have a book assigned the day before school starts than one of my classes this semester. It does not have a book at all, but it looks to make heavy use of online technical articles which the 2 this week are 79 pages and 45 pages in PDF.  I don't really want to print those out every week just to be able to read them when I am sitting somewhere waiting. I am trying to read on a tablet for the first time, but its giving me a headache...

Good luck with the teacher, maybe this is their one dumb moment and it will go better from here.

Yeah I don't envy you that reading. Sounds like a nightmare. Sorry the tablet's giving you a headache :(. Maybe there's something you can change in the settings that would help? 

Today went rather well. I stuck to my schedule and accomplished almost everything I wanted to do. I ate zero fast food. All in all, a good day :). 

• Like 4

Yeah I don't envy you that reading. Sounds like a nightmare. Sorry the tablet's giving you a headache :(. Maybe there's something you can change in the settings that would help? 

I think the problem is more that I am super sensitive to flickering light. Like anywhere with florescent light will give me headaches, even if no one can see the flickering but me. It is one of the reasons I prefer book books, they don't flicker. I will have to see if I can find the other settings that maybe causing it. Thanks.

Today went rather well. I stuck to my schedule and accomplished almost everything I wanted to do. I ate zero fast food. All in all, a good day :). 

That is a great day. It always feels good to have a day that goes well and you touch everyone of your goals. Great job.

• Like 3

How ya doing?

Also, to echo what's been said, that's by no means a book. And even if it were, you're allowed to take up all the space you need to here. :)

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hey @Xantae, how'd everything end up?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

14 hours ago, fleaball said:

Hey @Xantae, how'd everything end up?

Hey! Sorry for my long absence, I had a lot to do for school last week. Speaking of last week, it went well. I stayed within my fast food limits, and I did my schedule every day. I did however fail at both Sugar-free Sunday and Meatless Monday, but not a big failure. On Sunday, I forgot it was Sunday and had a candy bar. Not bad. And on Monday my parents decided to grill and wanted me to come over. I forgot it was Monday lol, and I accepted. It seems I'm not so good at remembering the days of the week anymore. That's still just one meal though, so I don't consider it a big failure.

Overall, I think the challenge went well. I didn't stray outside of my fast food limits on any week. I did my schedule most days. I kept to most of my Meatless Mondays and only failed one. Sugar free Sunday didn't work out so well, though. I think I'm going to try a different approach to cutting sweets out of my diet. I don't know what that approach is, but I'll figure it out. Hopefully by next challenge. 

Thanks a lot to everyone who supported me during this challenge! 

• Like 1