• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Great!

Thanks

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

awesome work on the 60 second dead hang. I hope the fires get under control soon but probably not as much as you do.

Thanks. Yes, ironically  the news said the fact that we have an inversion that is keeping the smoke trapped here is actually helping the firefighter since the air is still. There are saying that today we should be getting some breeze, which should clear out our air some, but not be enough to fan the flames. And then Saturday it is supposed to rain, which should help our air and the fire.

One of the large fires was caused by a teen setting off fireworks:(

• Like 2

Almost had an exciting injury story to share, but somehow I escaped it. Was doing the Simple Workout.I skipped the swings, because my back is kind of cranky, and was doing the Turkish Get Up. Did the first two sets, but by the third set I was really draggy. The smoke is still in the air here, and it bother my sinuses and feels oppressive. I told myself to at least finish this round. As I was standing up with the weight, suddenly I didn't have strength, and started to drop it. I've only done that one time before, and what you are supposed to do is drop it. But, my first instinct is to hold on. So, I somehow controlled the drop. Don't really remember what I did, it was just instinct. When the bell hit the ground, I looked and the hand it was in, my wrist was totally bent. However, My wrist didn't hurt at all. Didn't even strain anything. @The Most Loathed  or  @Machete         do you do  when all the sudden  you realize it's going bad? Not talking about the times, where you start to lift, realize it isn't happening and stop, but the times when you think you have it, and all the sudden you have no strength or control? I tagged TML and Machette since I know they are the KB gurus. but other advice is appreciated. Should I practice bailing out? I mean I know ideally the plan is not to get in that situation. I really am very cautious about how much I lift, but there are going to be times when things go wrong. 

I was feeling a little guilty this week because I've been tracking my food, but ended up eating over by about 100 -200 calories every day, because I just felt hungry. But I haven't gained weight, so I guess it is going to muscle. It's hard to tell how many calories my Elements work out is, so that plays into it.

I switched back to the old morning routine of breakfast first, dishes then workout. Only I just did eggs and a bit of honey in my tea, which may have been my workout problem. It always seems to make my morning slower when I go this route too.

Thinking ahead to next challenge. I feel like it helps me to track goals, but then I am horrible at tracking them daily. I had a chart to mark off my goals, in my bullet journal, on our kitchen table, but I still forget to mark it half the time. I liked the idea of having goals to accomplish, like the scrapbook, but if I don't try and have some little goals to work on it,all the sudden challenge is almost over, and nothing has happened.

• Like 9

Very scary. I've done that. I jump out of the way and let it fall. That's why I have a big dent in my basement floor.

It's natural to try to save it. I learned my lesson when I tried to save a sharp chisel that I dropped and sliced my thumb open. Now I get out of the way of most things.

A get up is different because you're right underneath it. I've guided a couple down and to the side and hoped for the best.

TML and Machete are probably smart enough to shut it down when they aren't feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Very scary. I've done that. I jump out of the way and let it fall. That's why I have a big dent in my basement floor.

It's natural to try to save it. I learned my lesson when I tried to save a sharp chisel that I dropped and sliced my thumb open. Now I get out of the way of most things.

A get up is different because you're right underneath it. I've guided a couple down and to the side and hoped for the best.

TML and Machete are probably smart enough to shut it down when they aren't feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I was writing my question, the thought I had was that TML and Machette would say that they would shut it down first.:lol: I guided it to the side, and that worked. I'd rather have a dent in our basement than my head.

• Like 4

I suck at bailing out and have gotten hurt because my ego is louder than my logic. My general strategy, when things go bad and I allow myself to acknowledge it is to give the weight a push and go mostly limp. Not a hard push, mind you. Take advantage of physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

If you gentle push the weight away from you and go slack at the same time, you may move the weight but you will definitely move yourself. Let yourself roll as far away as comes easily. check the floor for damage later. 

If we're talking TGUs only, things get a little easier. You have your arm extended over you the whole time. If things go south, keep your elbow straight and let your body fall open. This will put the bell as far away from you as possible, at the end of your arm. Once the bell is outside of your center of gravity, it will lead itself to a safe landing. 

All easier said than done. I'm pretty sure @Machete just doesn't miss reps. He's pretty outstanding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

I suck at bailing out and have gotten hurt because my ego is louder than my logic. My general strategy, when things go bad and I allow myself to acknowledge it is to give the weight a push and go mostly limp. Not a hard push, mind you. Take advantage of physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

If you gentle push the weight away from you and go slack at the same time, you may move the weight but you will definitely move yourself. Let yourself roll as far away as comes easily. check the floor for damage later. 

If we're talking TGUs only, things get a little easier. You have your arm extended over you the whole time. If things go south, keep your elbow straight and let your body fall open. This will put the bell as far away from you as possible, at the end of your arm. Once the bell is outside of your center of gravity, it will lead itself to a safe landing. 

All easier said than done. I'm pretty sure @Machete just doesn't miss reps. He's pretty outstanding.

Not happy that you injured yourself, but glad that your ego can sometimes be louder than logic too.;) I think this may have been what I did with the Tgu, it was mostly instinct more than planning

• Like 1

Thinking about my  almost kettlebell damaging our basement, or my wrist, and  the fact that my back was kind of sore, and wondering if I was pushing too hard. Mulled saying I would only do kettlebell on non Elements days . But the Elements program is short. I decided to leave it as it, with one caveat. If I'm tired, I don't try and push through, but let myself stop. Do what I feel like, and then call it a day. Which sounds like common sense, but sometimes I'm rather short on that.:lol: Oh well, I was scared a bit, so that will instill some common sense in me for a bit at least.

Made my goal of 20 days of  dead hangs . Tomorrow I'll update with my points.

My session today:

Elements stretch

Included 5 sets of tabletop to A-frame

Pressurization 10 minutes-rest as needed

High frogger and backward frogger-

Struggled with the high frogger, not really sure how to  heighth, I tried to slow the movement down, but once I lift myself in the air, not sure how to slowly lift higher and slowly drop down

Backward frogger- really enjoyed this one

Thoughts after watching video- I need to remember to sit up in squat position, focus on each element of the movement,

Practice 1 x 5 bear, monkey, frogger

Video the bear, I started out in good form, lost it a bit as I went along, but it was a good start, and I think it is better than week 1, didn’t video the rest of the sessions, but they felt pretty good

Pull ups 3/3/3/2/2  90 second rest

Stretch

Cobra

a-frame

frogger

lounge chair

• Like 8

LouCarJo   
17 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Much better advice than I could give - I either get the other hand up to help or hurt myself!

Or just try to listen to how I'm feeling and if I'm having a genuinely weak (not just lazy) day, I just don't push it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Much better advice than I could give - I either get the other hand up to help or hurt myself!

Or just try to listen to how I'm feeling and if I'm having a genuinely weak (not just lazy) day, I just don't push it.

That's sometime the problem, determining between genuinely weak or lazy. It was kind of muggy that day, so I just thought I was  feeling lazy because of that. Grabbing the bell with the other hand is a good optiom

• Like 2

Machete   
On 9/8/2017 at 0:06 PM, The Most Loathed said:

Why thank you sir, you're too kind.

I think I've missed two TGUs, and both times I happened to be on my back and was able to catch the weight with my other arm (though I had a scary one where I almost lost balance during the low sweep with a PR weight locked out). Mostly I'm just always playing it safe and sticking to the 32.

But yeah, I imagine this would be the way to do it. Never contest for space with a kettlebell. Going limp allows you to not pull anything (a lot of Paratroopers break their legs because they anticipate the landing and tense-up, instead of staring at the horizon and going limp), and the external rotation on the shoulder ensures that the 'bell is not over one's face but to the side. The floor can be repaired.

On 9/7/2017 at 10:53 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

There seems to be a natural aversion to dropping stuff. This is also a big issue with firearms handling. A lot of people still seem to think that dropping a gun would cause it to fire like in True Lies, when modern guns don't do that as far as I know. It is more often the case that people shoot themselves by trying to catch a dropped firearm (because their finger accidentally makes it into the trigger).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stribs said:

Glad you weren't hurt!!  Finish strong and take Godzilla down!!!

Thanks. That lizard didn't know what hit him.;)

11 hours ago, zenLara said:

Glad to hear you weren't hurt! Phew!

I hope air clears soon :(

Thanks.The air was much better today

59 minutes ago, VanGrrl57 said:

Thank goodness you weren't hurt. I have faith that you can take Godzilla down. :D Hope the air quality gets better soon, too.

VanGrrl57 

Thanks, the air was much better. And Godzilla has been taken down.

44 minutes ago, Machete said:

Why thank you sir, you're too kind.

I think I've missed two TGUs, and both times I happened to be on my back and was able to catch the weight with my other arm (though I had a scary one where I almost lost balance during the low sweep with a PR weight locked out). Mostly I'm just always playing it safe and sticking to the 32.

But yeah, I imagine this would be the way to do it. Never contest for space with a kettlebell. Going limp allows you to not pull anything (a lot of Paratroopers break their legs because they anticipate the landing and tense-up, instead of staring at the horizon and going limp), and the external rotation on the shoulder ensures that the 'bell is not over one's face but to the side. The floor can be repaired.

There seems to be a natural aversion to dropping stuff. This is also a big issue with firearms handling. A lot of people still seem to think that dropping a gun would cause it to fire like in True Lies, when modern guns don't do that as far as I know. It is more often the case that people shoot themselves by trying to catch a dropped firearm (because their finger accidentally makes it into the trigger).

It just seems like natural reaction is to try and catch it. But, I did move away too.Going limp is a good idea, or better idea is to not drop it.I wasn't going for a PR, I've lifted that weight often before. But not after I'd done other stuff.

• Like 2

Nymeria   

I'm glad you weren't hurt!  It would be kind of hard to practice bailing from a TGU, since there are so many different places where things might go south.  One thing that might help, though.  Have you considered taking your workout outside?  I feel like I'm much more resistant to dropping things if I'm in my house and at least subconsciously am worried about damage to my floors.  If I'm outdoors and will just be dropping the weight onto the grass, it's easier to just let go.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nymeria said:

I'm glad you weren't hurt!  It would be kind of hard to practice bailing from a TGU, since there are so many different places where things might go south.  One thing that might help, though.  Have you considered taking your workout outside?  I feel like I'm much more resistant to dropping things if I'm in my house and at least subconsciously am worried about damage to my floors.  If I'm outdoors and will just be dropping the weight onto the grass, it's easier to just let go.  

This is a good thought.

Wrap up Boss Battle Elastigirl Vs Godzilla

1)Last challenge I made a list of things I wanted done by summer end. I successfully completed some, and worked on others Some of them I'm having a bit of motivational problems, so I'm assigning points.

Goal: summer stuff

Work on Hawaii scrapbook 2 HP  each day I work on it- 30  bonus for completion-scrapbook complete- total points 10 + 30 bonus=40 points

Spent time on Algebra 2 -2 HP each day I work on it- 30 bonus for getting to chapter 5-one day - 2 points- not so good here

Planning Disneyland or camping trip 2 HP each day-6 days= 12 points

2) Deadhang 60 seconds a day-   can be done in sets 25 point bonus for 20 days- 20 days earn 40 points plus 20 bonus= 60 points

3) Morning Routine and Experiment

I'm going to continue my morning routine of reading the Bible and praying first thing. Last month I experimented with working out after breakfast. I'm going to try that again. But, I'm doing a different workout, so it may not work as well. Either way, I'll workout before computer time, because that just works better. No points for this.  For the Bible, I have a big point reward at year end, and the other stuff I want to leave room to see what works-

I seemed to have conveniently forgotten the no computer before workout ;)But my mornings are still much more productive

POINT TOTAL = 114= Godzilla has been defeated!

Challenge thoughts

I really enjoyed having a list of things to work on over the summer. It kept me focused. Having the scrapbook as a goal gave me motivation to push through and finish it. I have trouble tracking the daily things. It does help me, I just forget to mark it, and then I get frustrated because I've forgotten.  My math has obviously lost motivation. I want to keep it up, or I will forget what I've done. That will be a focus next challenge

Win Points:

0-45 points Lose- City destroyed- Elastigirl has to clean up mess- spend one hour cleaning garage

50-74 points – Godzilla is hit in the head and dazed. He’s been slowed down, but it will take more to take him down: https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sea-Tragedy-Whaleship-Essex-ebook/dp/B000OZ0NWQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I3OKRJE0CI7P4I&colid=2FXN9I8R0TTC&qid=&sr=

75-100- -Godzilla has been seriously wounded. He is strong though, and refuses to give up. Though he can not do much damage, he still continues a feeble fight.prize https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVJK8JK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I22MUGLSIR9NPT&colid=2FXN9I8R0TTC

100+ KNOCK OUT! Godzilla has been knocked unconscious and the threat is no more Prize https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Tropical-Floral-Graphic-T-Shirt/dp/B071DM4GY3/ref=sr_1_14?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1503701144&sr=1-14&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=moana+t+shirt+women

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MyLittlePony said:

Yeahhhh congratulations on defeating Godzilla,  and not hurting yourself the other day.  Winning on all counts.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Red1263 said:

CONGRATS ON BEATING GODZILLA!!! Do we get to see you rock your new prize?

Thanks! We shall see. Now that The NF site doesn't have it own way to upload pictures, I have to do it somewhere else, and so far haven't been motivated to do

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

The city is safe now, yay!!!

Thanks

• Like 1