• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Roamer

Getting heavier but more fit

Roamer   

Okay so we all know that muscle is heavier than fat, but I am a bit concerned about my weight because it feels like I am gaining far too much weight for the amount of exercise I put in. I am fully capable of running 5km without stopping, I do strength training and punching bag training, and my dieting is fairly hybrid (meaning I eat healthy some days and other days I eat whatever). I've noticed physically I am in decent shape (still progress to be made) but my weight keeps going up. I started at 237lbs, with a substantial amount of body fat as my normal weight had been 180-190lbs. I exercised hard and got down to 220lbs, but now I'm suddenly weighing in at over 230lbs. It happened over the course of a few weeks so I am unsure if this is normal or perhaps I am doing something wrong. I've tried just about everything short of fasting or eating like a rabbit to get back down to 180-190, but I just can't seem to pull it off. Any advice?

For the record I do drink a bit of whiskey every other weekend, but I am no a boozer. I dislike beer and I don't drink a lot of soda. I will confess that my diet is not superb, as I've said I eat hybrid, but I do not scarf down pizzas and burgers every day either.

Defining   

Buy a cloth tape measure, and starting recording weekly girth changes: neck, shoulders, upper arms, chest, waist, hips, upper thighs, calves. This will be the best point of reference for what's actually happening in your body composition. And, as Tanktimus has suggested, the mirror is the next best measurement tool! You could even do weekly full-body photos, if you need an objective record.

Depending on your goals, you could also consider tracking (weighing) your food for a week, and double check your macos - if you're wanting to lose a bit of fat, it's a good idea to dial in your protein intake. And when we start exercising, it's very easy to unintentionally start overeating - a food log is a great way to check in to double check what/how much you're taking in. :) Only way to lose weight is to use more energy than you eat - this varies depending on age, body fat percentage, hormones, activity level, etc. But you may have to resign yourself to following some kind of meal plan if you'd like to lose a bit more weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taking photos is another good way to measure progress :) Take front, side and back photos every week to visually track how you are progressing. Make sure you take them at the same time of day, in the same lighting conditions for more accurate results.