RisenPhoenix Carries On

RisenPhoenix

keep-calm-and-carry-on-crown-blue-wallpa

Challenge here, discourse underneath.

1) Carry on Eating Well:  Stick with the 80-20 Primal scheme, keep on logging, and do an IF of some measure on days when I know eating is going to be less than ideal.

2) Carry on Lifting: Alternate lifting two times and four times a week.  Accept that gains will be slower, but that burnout is less likely to happen.

3) Carry on Keeping Calm: Evaluate the day every morning and see if something can be removed to make life easier.

4) Carry On Adulting:

• Keep cleaning 5 minutes per day - Priority living room
  • Frame the new prints
  • Frame the Westeros Map
  • Frame and/or find a way to hang the Journey print
  • Hang the Japanese Noren gift
  • Tidy up finances this month

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Okay, my brain is a ball of fuzz at the moment, but short discourse on the challenge goals and then a mini update from this weekend.

Challenge stuff:

I realized I just need to stay the course right now, but also make adjustments so I don't burn out.  I have a tendency to throw everything I have at certain things, and then wonder why I'm exhausted.  So this challenge is both about keeping myself calm, while still moving consistently towards my goals.  So that means I need to stick with what was working - Primal eating, lifting regularly, and doing the best I can to flex around my life.  Notably, remembering to relax and not feeling guilty about taking it easier if I feel like I need it.

The most interesting goal for me this time is that third one.  I do overbook my schedule, personally and professionally.  Which leads to self-inflicted stress.  Part of this is High Functioning anxiety where I don't like to just NOT be doing things.  But Doing All Things leads to burn out.  So the plan is to sit down at the end of the night/the morning and see if I can't shift things to make my life a bit easier.  Maybe that's lifting later in the morning.  Maybe it's only one class of aikido.  Maybe I'll leave work and work from home on paperwork.  Maybe I'll try to not feel guilty about using some extra money to make things easier - like grocery delivery to save me some time.  Just small things that might make a huge impact on my timetable and life.

And then we have the usual adulting stuffs.  I realized I have a lot of art prints and hanging things I have gathered over the years, and I want to put them up.  Because otherwise I'm going to toss them, and I've either purchased these, or they are gifts.  So they MEAN something, but at the moment they are hidden away and just taking up space.  I aim to fix that.  So I have a goal of making my house less bachelor pad-y.  It's a challenge, especially when I'm pretty minimalist in my style and art choices.

Fun stuff:

Aikido on friday was the exam I've spent the last two months preparing my friend for.  She did wonderfully, even though Sensei threw a curveball at all three people testing for first kyu and made them do the exam with two ukes.  So they hadn't practiced with 50% of their attackers.  One of the grading board members was also shocked by this.  But it was a good exam, regardless.  I ended up running up for three of the four of the randori sessions in the exams, so I got a good workout that night.  And then promptly shoved all the food in my face at the potluck.  And then went home to collapse.

This weekend was Boston Comic Con/Fan Expo/whatever they are calling it now that it was acquired by another company.  Saturday I was at the convention hall working from 9:30 until about 8, though I did have a couple hours where I wandered the hall.  Which did include meeting up with some Nerds to wander a bit.  Nerds are always enjoyable company.  Sunday we were there at 9:30, floor closed at 5, but the breakdown took another 2-ish hours after that.  I got home at 8, completely exhausted, starving, and in desperate needs to not deal with humans.  I also ate a pint of ice cream from Ben and Jerry's, because I damn well could.  Food choices weren't super this weekend, but I also didn't pig out on Con food - partially because it was all crappy fare, and because it also costs an arm and a leg.

I'm doing a fast-ish thing this morning just because I don't really feel like eating.  I also don't have a lot of food.  So it works out.  I'm just exhausted having worked a full work week, then doing the aikido exam, and then ran around for 24 hours on the weekend at the Con.  I'm thriving on coffee and not much else today.  Hopefully early bed tonight (because I'm skipping aikido) will help.  Especially since I want to hit the gym in the morning.

• Like 4

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Geez, what a weekend. Good luck w/ sleep!

Seriously, it was a whirlwind of a weekend. I oddly enjoy working the Cons, but I am so dead after them that I can't imagine working them for a living.  My friend does them, plus his art, plus a part time job.  No idea how he survives, especially since he has a booth at GenCon this weekend.  Though I suppose pulling in as much as I do in a month with just three days might help. (I mean, not pure profit and pre-taxes, but that's still freaking insane in my mind.)

Also, note that I should make - my knee is being stupid.  Like mega-stupid.  Mega-might-need-a-Doctor stupid.  It's probably just a tweaked tendon, but my calf/knee might not handle leg day all that well.  This week is going to be a trial for getting out of bed and also for lifting.  Clearly 10-12 hour days spent predominantly on my feet were so good for the knee, too.  I should RICE more than I have been, but oh well.  I'm stubborn and need to get back on track.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

The most interesting goal for me this time is that third one.  I do overbook my schedule, personally and professionally.  Which leads to self-inflicted stress.  Part of this is High Functioning anxiety where I don't like to just NOT be doing things.  But Doing All Things leads to burn out.  So the plan is to sit down at the end of the night/the morning and see if I can't shift things to make my life a bit easier.  Maybe that's lifting later in the morning.  Maybe it's only one class of aikido.  Maybe I'll leave work and work from home on paperwork.  Maybe I'll try to not feel guilty about using some extra money to make things easier - like grocery delivery to save me some time.  Just small things that might make a huge impact on my timetable and life.

I hear you on this. I also tend to push myself to Do All Things, then wonder why I'm stressed.  Here for support and inspiration.

7 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Aikido on friday was the exam I've spent the last two months preparing my friend for.  She did wonderfully, even though Sensei threw a curveball at all three people testing for first kyu and made them do the exam with two ukes.  So they hadn't practiced with 50% of their attackers.  One of the grading board members was also shocked by this.  But it was a good exam, regardless.  I ended up running up for three of the four of the randori sessions in the exams, so I got a good workout that night. 

Sounds like fun. In my current dojo we never know who our ukes will be. Sensei calls for a new uke about every 5 techniques. That keeps the ukes fresh. It also allows someone with bad knees to skip the swariwaza sections. :P 

Do your knees hurt in the joint or do the muscles above and below the joint feel tight? 

If it is in the joint itself, go to a doctor if RICE does not help in a couple days. If it is tight muscles, get our your foam roller and LaX ball and work them over. I get nasty knots in my calves from standing on concrete.

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

14 hours ago, Mistr said:

Sounds like fun. In my current dojo we never know who our ukes will be. Sensei calls for a new uke about every 5 techniques. That keeps the ukes fresh. It also allows someone with bad knees to skip the swariwaza sections. :P 

Do your knees hurt in the joint or do the muscles above and below the joint feel tight? 

If it is in the joint itself, go to a doctor if RICE does not help in a couple days. If it is tight muscles, get our your foam roller and LaX ball and work them over. I get nasty knots in my calves from standing on concrete.

We get to pick our ukes, partially to help with nerves.  Also I was always told the exam is as much as a test for uke as it is for nage - unofficially things that Sensei keeps note on.  That said, historically if an uke is totally dead, Sensei will pull them out - see: My grading partner during my first kyu exam.  Also his grading partner on his Shodan.  And yea, sometimes if the uke has bad knees they get swapped for suwariwaza. :P

My knee is achy below the joint, kind of around the outside towards the shin.  It's a weird feeling.  My CALF is so crazy tight where it links up with the back of my knee.  I keep meaning to beat the hell out of it with my new massage tool, and keep forgetting. >.<

---------

Lifted this morning for the first time in two weeks.  I forgot that I liked lifting.  But injuries and tapering for the exam made it tricky to do so, and I really like "sleeping in" until 6:30 or so.  But, that's why I'm having my "Alternate this stuff, dummy" challenge, innit?  I also realized that my first two weeks might get wonky.  I'm flying out to see Company at the end of next week, which kind of makes lifting tricky for me on the Friday.  I intended to go to work via Uber, and just grab another one to the airport to catch my 3PM flight.  That makes it hard to lift and then make it to work on time.  Especially if I go super early like I'm planning. So I need to figure something out there.  Likely I'll lift three times this and next week, and then not worry about running around.  I'm going on vacation, dammit, and I should be relaxed about it!

Food yesterday was fairly good, though I did splurge on some popcorn at the end of the night.  So rather than ending at ~2400 calories I ended at ~2600, 200ish over my count for the day.  Not terribly worried, since I'm sure my metabolism even without physical activity yesterday can handle it.  That, and at the end of the day, I don't have the typical desk job.  I walk and stand a lot at work (yay standing desks!  Yay lab benches!).  Add in the fact that the labs and my desk are on two different floors, that my bosses are on the other side of the building, and I'm forgetful means that I walk around a whole bunch.  It would be interesting to see what my work TDEE is alone without exercise.  Not that it really happens that often, anyway.  Just a curiosity.

Anyway, off to read a paper for a journal club that is this afternoon that I've kept putting off. >.> <.<

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Honestly, I'm sure Company will find things for you to do to burn energy. It's kind of what she does. If you got there and told her you'd missed a lifting session, she'd find a way to get you to the gym.

A year ago, I'd agree with you.  But she's in furious studying mode, which means I tend to be a couch potato next to her since it's the limited time we get to at least inhabit the same space.

Though I have gotten much more accustom to stealing her car so I can be less limited.

• Like 2

So last night was awesome.

First of all, my Switch arrived.

Second of all, I got a sword.

Yea, I wasn't sure which made me more excited.

One of my instructors is downsizing and clearing her house out for a move down the line.  She got the sword 30 years ago in an antique shop that specialized in Japanese wares.  It's a short sword, so definitely a wakazashi.  It's a bit rusty, but the forged pattern on the blade is beautiful.  It's also live, though a bit dull at the moment.  No tsuba, but from the looks of things this was an ornamental sword and wasn't meant to have one.  Also apparently she had shown this to Kanai Sensei when she bought it, and while she doesn't remember what he said, she remembered he greatly approved.  Took the whole thing apart to look at it and judged it that way.  But she has just had it sitting on a shelf ever since and wanted to make sure it had a good home.  So now it's mine.  I just need to find a good place to display it.

As for the Switch, I set it up and got things rolling on that front.  It's a lot smaller of a console than I was expecting - maybe 1.5x the size of the Wii, which was pretty dang tiny.  The tablet feels nice and solid, though I'm still undecided on how I feel about the JoyCon grip.  I'm also annoyed that the JoyCons aren't capable of being charged on the grip (outside of buying a special one), but at least I feel like they attach easily enough to the tablet that it's not terrible to get them charged.  Played around a little bit with the channels, but not much.  I was much more excited to pop in Zelda.  Honestly, my first reaction was "I cut you with the edge of my polygon" on some things.  I think some of the early shots couldn't make up their mind between the "lets be realistic!" and "Let's be Wind Waker!" and fell halfway between both.  That said, as I was playing things seemed to be a bit smoother, and the first major cut scene I saw after that point was absolutely gorgeous.  I like being able to change weapons and shields on the fly, and definitely like that although they have a break system in play that weapons are not scarce (so far at least).  It adds a nice bit of strategy to fighting.  I'm still super early (less than an hour in), so I'm curious to see what other things pop up.  That's tonight's adventure, after I put the screen protector onto the system.  I tried to do it this morning and failed miserably, so I tossed that protector and will use next one.  Good thing it came in a set of two...

That said, things I need to do before I'm allowed to play Zelda:

• Clean off the dining room table
  • Throw out bin from the basement
  • Roll out garbage bins for pick up
  • Instant pot dinner or plan to crock pot tomorrow
  • Pack clothes for gym
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2017 at 10:46 AM, Kishi said:

Very nice! Are you planning to do anything to fix it up?

So I definitely need to wipe the rust away and oil it up.  It doesn't have a tsuba, but looking at it I don't believe it was meant to.  But the metal ornamentation where the mouth of the scabbard and the blade neck meet/close together is heavily rusted, and I'd love to find someone to restore that a bit better than I can.  And the scabbard is a bit beaten up, so it would be nice to clean that up, as well.  And to top it all off, the blade is live, but a bit dull.  So some sharpening wouldn't go amiss. 

But all of that is money that I'm not going to spend for now.

----------

So I actually did the Keeping Calm challenge, guys!  Today I could have hyper loaded my day, run around like a crazy person, and then felt rushed and stressed in the lab the entire time.  Instead, I decided to bump back a protocol till tomorrow, spend most of tomorrow doing paperwork, and hit the lab work on Monday, which is mostly free for me.  On top of that, I did a two-fer for a physical activity standpoint.  I *was* going to lift tomorrow morning.  But I realized that I'm helping my friend move almost all of Saturday.  So instead of lifting iron, I'm going to lift dressers and boxes.  This means I can sleep in tomorrow morning (or if I wanted, go to the dojo), and keep things fairly light at the end of the week.  Which is good, since I need to work a couple hours on Saturday morning.  Also, I decided that Sunday is a heavy Me-Day, so I won't plan or schedule anything then.

Last night I did mostly all the adulting I put forth.  My pot roast wasn't fully thawed, so that will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow to get cooked.  When it does get cooked, it should last me well into next week, though.  Then I proceeded to play Zelda until 10PM.  Whoops?  But it's so pretty.  Combat is a little rough I feel on the controller, though.  In order to make the JonCons functional as independent units, they shrunk buttons, and the result is I have a hard time distinguishing between the L/R 1 and 2 buttons.  Which is kind of a big deal, since that dictates a lot of the combat.  Maybe I'll eventually get a Pro controller, which likely gets rid of that issue, and maybe it's less pronounced when the JoyCons are on the side of the console, instead of the controller grip.  I'll try later and see, I guess.

Aikido for at least an hour tonight, maybe two, depending on how I feel.  I'm just kind of tired right now, so I think more rest is needed.  I was complaining to my grading partner that I feel like I haven't been practicing much at the dojo, but I'm still averaging something like 20-25 hours of class time a month, plus all the post-mat play the last couple weeks.  He commented that he's happy if he's been at the dojo 20 times in the last 3-4 months, so I should shut up.  Touche.

Anywho.  Guess I should go do that work thing...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Toshimi said:

Hows things going? hope you had a great weekend! 

I was in the middle of writing how crazy things were yesterday, and then things got crazy and I was away from my computer for the rest of the day.

Weekend was kind of insane.  Friday at work I was at least smart and pushed things back to keep myself sane, but then ended up in a 2+ hour meeting with my boss at the end of the day.  Then I *had* to go grocery shopping because my schedule wasn't going to allow any good free time over the weekend.  Saturday I skipped aikido because I had to work 2-3 hours to give and experiment some TLC, and then from like 11:30am to 10:00pm I helped friends pack and move their apartment.  Thankfully it wasn't a far move, but they have so much extra shit it was ridiculous.  I did get chinese food and ice cream out of the deal, though, and I do enjoy their company, so it wasn't all terrible.  Sunday I did one class of aikido because after two weeks straight of having crazy engagements, I could sleep in.  So I woke up, had coffee, and then went to the dojo.  Then adulted a chunk of the afternoon to get ready for this week.  Some food prep, some laundry, some cleaning and organizing.  And then, to make things feel good, I watched six episodes of The Defenders, followed by GoT with the entire house (all three apartments watch GoT, and it's become our social night).  So Sunday was pretty solid.

Monday started pretty chill, and then ended up like this:

05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg

Boss is stressing out about a collaboration which is apparently breathing down her neck, so I went into semi-overdrive to get things done.  Which got me MORE good will, which is strange, because I feel like I'm not doing anything atypical.  Like, I'm just working, man.  You need things accomplished, I can do them, so I do them.  It's just.... strange to get praise for something I think of as so mundane.  Maybe some manager-type people out there can clue me in onto how that works.

Lifted yesterday morning and this morning, and I'm so stupidly sore.  It's clear I haven't done a legit leg day in quite some time.  I plan on spending some quality time with the foam roller at the dojo tonight.  I also plan on doing two classes tonight, because I haven't done that in ages.  And I need to prep for the whole "missing so many classes when I'm away" that's happening this weekend.

Um, that about covers it.  Mostly keeping sane, but very much looking forward to the mini-vacation I'm getting Friday to Monday.  My house wants to have a social dinner night on Wednesday and I said no, because 1) I need to prep for my flight and 2) I really don't want to social.  So go me, keeping my Wednesday night free like I've intended to have done since I started the new job!

I'm sure some other interesting things have happened.  But crazy things make it hard to remember.

• Like 3

you'd be surprised how many people do NOT do what you and I would consider typical at work. like, idk, reading entire emails, double checking your work before it goes for review, asking if anyone needs help with anything if your workload is slow. And these people that do not do those things whine about the little raises they get and how their vaca time is not enough. so you give them extra in hope that they will live up to it with more effort put forth but NOPE

okay, sorry. rant. but yeah, you keep doing you and people will be appreciative. it's surprisingly hard to find.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Yesterday I got beaten up so much at the dojo.  By EVERYONE.  First instructor punched me in the ribs (she apologized, then said her hand was free and it needed to do something during the throw).  Got accidentally clotheslined by my grading partner.  Got thwapped on the ear.  Poked in the eye.  Knuckles to the mouth.

Yea, it was a very martial-prone two hours on the mat last night.

The first class was all about keeping everything dynamic.  The problem was it was a very aggressive dynamic, and I do NOT do aggressive well.  At least not when I am in a class and we have a technique dictated to us.  And when I try to play my brain goes into over load, so things don't go well.  But irimi entrances I don't like doing, so it just was a difficult class for me.  Also I kept being the demo uke, and got beaten to a pulp.  So that was super.

Second class was infinitely more gentle, but a lot more difficult since I was working on not becoming a dead fish with my arms, and not using my shoulder muscles/pulling.  It did not help that the person I was stuck working with is resistant and unhelpful, and does not seem to realize that a lot of the things they offer as "advice" are things I'm working on - but are significantly harder for me because I'm taller and need to get my center much lower than my joints like.  And they have a tendency to act like there is only ONE WAY to do a technique and anything else is not correct.  Their methods work, but I tend to try some different things, and just get resistance/annoying commentary when I try something they deem I shouldn't be doing.  Interestingly, if I'm left to my own devices, I'm much more comfortable in a randori-type setting than they are, because I just roll with things.  

Anywho.  I did realize last night I'm taking too deep of an irimi during Tenchinage.  It's making me contort a whole lot more, and I can do it easier with a bit more blending/hip.  So things to play with in the future.  Preferably with someone who doesn't resist and make childish faces at everything they deem "Not good."

*cough*

Sorry.  It's been bugging me lately.

My sympathy on the frustrating classes. Some days all you can do is grit your teeth and work on ukemi.

Anyone who has made it to yudansha and still thinks there is One True Way needs to get out more. Go to seminars with senior instructors from different lineages. It quickly becomes apparent that O-Sensei showed a whole bunch of ways to do things. Different uchideshi adopted the ways that worked best for their bodies. This past weekend I saw yet another version of tenshinage with different footwork. Front foot stepping back instead of entering. A different way of getting to the same place. Totally boggled my mind. This was from a Japanese seventh dan who trained under Hikitsuchi sensei in Shingu. That makes him one step away from O-Sensei, just like Kanai's senior students.

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I believe this falls under the "Subtract" goal. 

So texas has a fuckall huge storm about to hit. Company lives in Houston. I'm supposed to fly out tomorrow night. 

Welp, I dropped lifting tomorrow morning to get to work earlier, so I could take an earlier flight down to avoid the shit weather. 

Priorities. 

• Like 3

Annnnnnd RP is stuck in Texas. 

Until who knows when.  

Priorities?

On 8/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Welp, I dropped lifting tomorrow morning to get to work earlier, so I could take an earlier flight down to avoid the shit weather. 

Dude.  You just flew into the worst natural disaster since/including Katrina.

17 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Annnnnnd RP is stuck in Texas. 

Until who knows when.  

Dude.  You just flew into the worst natural disaster since/including Katrina.

Go on, take Company and evacuate to Tank's place.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I mean, the highways do not exist here at the moment. So evac is not exactly an option. 

Thabkfully, the house is still dry, has power, and plenty of food. So I can wait it out for now. 

• Like 3