Challenge Vol.4: Causeway to Hell

Having survived the Island of Lost Souls, Ruby-Wan Kenewby uncovered a hidden cavern at its heart, potentially the one that would lead her to the prize she had been searching for--the idol. Ruby-Wan still had a ways to go, however. Reaching the base of the cavern would take days, and if this was the ancient tunnel system of legend she suspected it was, it could take her weeks to reach another gate. She didn't have that kind of time to waste, so having replenished her rations on the island and sharpened her blades, she headed out down the megalithic causeway, remnants of a perplexing and long-forgotten civilization that may never be rediscovered.

Ruby-Wan wasn't alone, though. Something had followed her from the surface. She had sensed its presence shortly after entering, and for caution's sake, assumed it hostile. Best make good time, then. If we can avoid a fight, all the better...

Ranger Challenge: Causeway to Hell

Maintaining my previous goals from Vol. 3 and making them into habits, the following additions will be specifically for this challenge. To build and fine-tune my previous goals into habits, cheats are being introduced:

• workout everyday (1 rest day allowed if needed, using it as a meditation day preferred, also a meditation session can fulfill the daily workout goal)
  • eat cleaner proteins and carbs (cheat meals need to be allotted and preferably reserved for time with friends if unavoidable)
  • get up before 9 am every day (1 lazy morning can be allowed as a cheat day provided I get up by 10:30 am and it doesn't affect my work days)

1) Fit Goal: Get back into Jogging regularly (jog 3 times per week) - Ruby-Wan is being hunted and must stay ahead of her pursuer. When I was at my best I jogged 5-6 times a week anywhere from 20-60 min non-stop. It wasn't about speed, it was  about effectiveness and endurance for me.

2) Diet Goal: Level II difficulty (1 cheat meal every 2 weeks) - What's in the pack is what Ruby-Wan has and most of it is a necessary evil. Mostly. This is referring to the Modern Hero Diet I successfully implemented last challenge at a level I difficulty, so it's time to crank it up a notch. 

3) Diet Goal: Reduce intake (280g per meal of non-free items) - Rationing food on the journey and making every meal count. Portion control has been the single biggest challenge for me my whole life, and can make being healthy overly confusing and difficult without careful planning or easing into all the work necessary to be successful. Even if I'm motivated to eat healthy, I'm usually turned off by calorie counting and calculating stuff, especially since I make most of my food from scratch.

4) Life Goal: Find 3 hrs a day to do artIf a fight is inevitable, Ruby-Wan must be ready. I have to switch gears from my long-term career goal to building a good back-up plan and something to make me stable now as well as rebuild my savings (insurance sales. bleh). It sucks, but I need to stay on track long-tern need something beyond part-time jobs that can help me actually have a life. (Open to suggestions if someone has a better idea.)

Tyr the Conqueror  [ Half-Dwarf | Rebel ]

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Volume: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I am always confused about when we actually start, glad you got your challenge up now. I like how you are slowly ramping up your diet. What is the Modern Hero Diet? It  sounds very nerdy.;)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Thanks! One day I'll start on time haha. It is pretty nerdy, and hopefully one day I'll be able to handle the Mass Effect Diet...love. Jedediah recommended the MH last challenge. It's one from darebee.com. This is the link: https://darebee.com/mealplans/modern-hero-diet.html 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 2:38 PM, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

4) Life Goal: Find 3 hrs a day to do artIf a fight is inevitable, Ruby-Wan must be ready. I have to switch gears from my long-term career goal to building a good back-up plan and something to make me stable now as well as rebuild my savings (insurance sales. bleh). It sucks, but I need to stay on track long-tern need something beyond part-time jobs that can help me actually have a life. (Open to suggestions if someone has a better idea.)

These sound like two different but important things. If I'm reading it right, your current job isn't something you love, but it is providing you stabiity and helping you re-build your savings. Is that right?

Are you looking to carve out time in your current schedule for art, or to find a different kind of job that would leave you more free time, or to find a way to make a living as an artist? Or maybe all three. Which do you want to tackle first? We could try to brainstorm some suggestions...or provide support for whatever you want to try.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

HALFWAY UPDATE: this challenge I decided to just do a halfway mark update, which has been hard to sit down and do, due to celebrating my birthday this weekend/week and hurricane crazies. (Yes I'm from Texas, but luckily not in the immediately affected/Houston area.) First two weeks I did pretty good, I was actually surprised by how well I've done on goal #3, portion control. This did take a hit over the whole weekend and on Tuesday, but I've resumed measuring out meals since. Not cheating is a totally different issue. I cracked hard due to intense isolation and depression issues and went out a time or two. Current status on goals:

Goal 1: Fit goal (Jog 3x/week) PASSING - no flubs here!

Goal 2: Diet goal (reduce cheats to 1 every 2 weeks) AHAHAHAHA fail - just fail lol

Goal 3: Diet goal (portion control - 280g of non-free foods) PASSING - really just had an issue this weekend a bit and Monday but not much

Goal 4: Art 3hrs / day - PASSING - barely. i set this goal then had to put this on hold due to solving my immediate financial crisis, but I've managed to average out to 3hrs/day over the week even if i have to skip days. this includes watching tutorials or doing exercises when i get the chance.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:16 PM, Xena said:

These sound like two different but important things. If I'm reading it right, your current job isn't something you love, but it is providing you stabiity and helping you re-build your savings. Is that right?

Are you looking to carve out time in your current schedule for art, or to find a different kind of job that would leave you more free time, or to find a way to make a living as an artist? Or maybe all three. Which do you want to tackle first? We could try to brainstorm some suggestions...or provide support for whatever you want to try.

To answer the question, my current "job" is finding a new job as I've been a freelancer full-time for the past year and just hit a wall. getting out of the commercial/ad industry I've been kind of lost, but I don't want to let my long-term goal of storyboarding slip away. i do need to tackle all 3. maybe tackle finding a way to make a living as an artist?

• Like 1

Great to see how much progress you have made! Especially since it sounds like there were some rough days in the mix.

I don't know anything about artistic careers, but there are some others around the forum who do freelance creative work and might have ideas. @DJtrippyT does some kind of filmmaking (sorry DJ...I guess I don't really know what you do). I'm sure freelancing is stressful and can probably be completely draining. Are you looking for new freelance prospects, or trying to find a different kind of job? With storyboarding, do you feel like you need to build up skills (which you are doing with the practice you describe), establish some contacts, or something else? Great job getting in your three hours (and an average makes perfectly good sense).

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Thanks! :) I'm determined to not fall completely off the bandwagon, even if I have some MIA days. Actually I tend to feel bad/depressed when I slack off now. Getting back into jogging every morning sets me up for the day.

Yeah it can be pretty stressful. I'm looking for staffed positions or contract/freelance gigs. Building my network has been something of a high priority, as there's little need for storyboard artists in the local Dallas commercial industry, at least for a viable career. This may require some reassessing of my career strategy. Just today I was researching, and inquiring about production office work to delve into the producer side of things as a potential solution. Producers = basically the "suits" or administrative side of things for non-industry people, though some bridge the gap as executive producers, not to get confusing with all that. My ultimate goal is to have my own studio, so executive producer is something that interests me. It can be a lot, haha!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xena said:

@DJtrippyT does some kind of filmmaking

I do! I do my own creative photography/film stuff, and then I work in production for TV commercials and corporate-y kinds of stuff.

16 hours ago, Ruby-Wan Kenewby said:

. Producers = basically the "suits" or administrative side of things for non-industry people,

This is exactly what I do for commercial work and it makes me want to put my head under a tractor. However, it pays the bills.

Seriously though DM me if you want to talk about it. Storyboard stuff is a great type of work to do remotely, and I almost never meet with my storyboard people (when I actually get to have them), so you could totally branch out beyond Dallas. I've worked with directors who will only use their specific storyboard artist because that person "gets" their style, so it's more network-based than location based, I think.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Just got back into town last night, so my final update goes as followed:

Goal 1) Jogging 3/wk: PASS

This was probably my strongest accomplishment, as I managed to meet and exceed this goal.

Goal 2) cheat meal x2 total: FAIL

Was probably jumping ahead of myself here, but I wanted to stay consistent with the Modern Hero Diet I was following. Will have to take this one down a notch next challenge, as I'm sure even 1/wk is still a challenge.

Goal 3) 280g meals: PASS

I actually stuck to this very well, and often pushed myself to weigh all of my food in at 280g, including veggies just for funzies. Had the occasional miss, but that coincided with cheat meals most of the time. Still was a strong win overall.

Goal 4) Art 3hrs/day: FAIL

This last half of the challenge, I stumbled here due to having to step aside and focus solely on job hunting, the majority of which were art jobs, but I don't feel it really meets the challenge requirements.

Final Score: 

Goal 1 = PASS

Goal 2 = FAIL

Goal 3 = PASS

Goal 4 = FAIL

Though not as successful as last challenge, I did finish it and I've made adjustments for the next one. Last time, I quit mid-second challenge. I'm hoping the cheat meal adjustment will be enough see continued progress as I've definitely toned up, but I have that hideous stubborn layer of visceral fat that won't leave the front of my torso alone. Seriously thinking about a crash diet to kick start it maybe.

Also, thanks for the insight @DJtrippyT, and I will be in touch. ( I don't suppose you happen to be based around the Dallas area by any chance? There's an event put on by the animation guild going on tomorrow called, Industry Giants, so figured it's worth the ask!)