SilentJay Battles the Spartan

silentjay3205

Overview / Motivation: This challenge could not have been timed any better!  I will be going peddle to the medal to train to run the Washington DC Spartan Sprint.  I've already started during the off week, but need all the accountability and motivation possible to get myself in the best shape I can be in to attack that race.  I'm excited for the mental and physical challenge that will be waiting for me on race day.  Let's get after it!

Main Quest:

Train to conquer the Washington DC Spartan Sprint on September 9th

Side Quests:

Average 14 Miles of Running / Week

Points Potential: STA+4

Grading

A= Average > 90%

B= Average > 80%

C= Average > 70%

D= Average > 60%

F= Average < 60%

Average 30 Burpees / Day

Points Potential: DEX+3

Grading:

A= Average > 90%

B= Average > 80%

C= Average > 70%

D= Average > 60%

F= Average < 60%

Conquer the Spartan Sprint

Points Potential: STR+5

Grading

Pass / Fail

Life Quest:

Read "Unshakable" by Tony Robbins

Points Potential: WIS+3

Grading

A= Average > 90%

B= Average > 80%

C= Average > 70%

D= Average > 60%

F= Average < 60%

• Like 1

Silent Jay

Race: Human | Class: Ranger
Level 38
STR:103  | DEX:75  | STA:82  | CON:32  | WIS:88  | CHA:40

Key Milestones / Goals:
Complete a Spartan Sprint in 2018
  • COMPLETED on June 16, 2018
Complete a Spartan Super in 2018
  • Targeted for October 13, 2018
%
Complete a Spartan Beast in 2018
  • COMPLETED on April 28, 2018

Sounds like fun!  How's the training going?

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Week 1 Recap: Off to a rough start - struggling to get myself up in the mornings to get in the workouts, but this is another week.  I was able to up my distance per run in week 2, so hopefully I can make up for lost time.  The burpees are brutal, but will be beneficial to have hundreds under my belt going into race day if I run into some issues on the Spartan Sprint obstacles.

• Ran 9/14 Miles
    • Cumulative Completion: 64.3%

Average 30 Burpees / Day

• Completed 130/210 Burpees
    • Cumulative Completion: 62%

• Approaching Race Day
    • Pass / Fail

• Read 114/187 pages
    • Cumulative Completion: 61%
  • Like 1

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%
45 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Sounds like fun!  How's the training going?

It's progressing - getting a little running stamina back.  Need to get myself motivated in the mornings to sneak in my workouts before work and kids.  Hoping to up my game in week 2.

• Like 1

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%
2 hours ago, silentjay3205 said:

Hoping to up my game in week 2.

Sounds like solid plans.  Early morning workouts are tough; good job getting them in!  Week two will be awesome!

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

On 8/13/2017 at 9:26 PM, silentjay3205 said:

I will be going peddle to the medal to train to run the Washington DC Spartan Sprint.

Awesome! I'm running my first Spartan Sprint this weekend on Sunday. In fact, it's my first ocr ever. Good luck to you!

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

23 hours ago, silentjay3205 said:

The burpees are brutal, but will be beneficial to have hundreds under my belt going into race day if I run into some issues on the Spartan Sprint obstacles.

Running my first Sprint this weekend on Sunday, and you're right: burpees are brutal. I finally got myself where I can do two sets of 15 without about a minute rest in between. I'm hoping I won't be doing too many of them, but that damn spear throw got me like:

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Looks like a solid start on week 1. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

16 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Awesome! I'm running my first Spartan Sprint this weekend on Sunday. In fact, it's my first ocr ever. Good luck to you!

That is awesome!  Which one?

Let me know how it goes.  I'm pumped and scared :)

• Like 1

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%
Just now, silentjay3205 said:

That is awesome!  Which one?

I'm going to the one in Glen Jean, WV. I live in WV, about an hour and a half from the race site. I'll keep you posted (if I'm not dead). :P j/k

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 2 Recap: Stepped up my game for week 2.  I'm building up a nice mix of nerves and excitement as race day is less than 2 weeks away which has helped kicked me into gear.  I've embraced my morning workout time again and am fueling myself with great audio from Fearless Motivation.  I would highly recommend checking them out on YouTube or Spotify if you need an extreme jolt of adrenaline and motivation!  Already off to a good start for week 3!

• Ran 13.5/14 Miles
    • Cumulative Completion: 80.4%

Average 30 Burpees / Day

• Completed 220/210 Burpees
    • Cumulative Completion: 83.3%

• Approaching Race Day
    • Pass / Fail

• Read 187/187 pages
    • Cumulative Completion: 100%

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%

Great work on your goals!  Keep up the good work!  How did you like the book?

KBO. - Churchill

On 8/29/2017 at 8:59 PM, Cheetah said:

Great work on your goals!  Keep up the good work!  How did you like the book?

Book was great! Ton of great nuggets and things to watch out for in terms of fees, hidden costs, and everything in between.  I'd definitely recommend it!

• Like 1

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%

Week 3 Recap: T-Minus 1 week to race day!  Big week for me in terms of balancing training and recovery before race day.  Getting pumped and ready to rock the Spartan Sprint.  I will conquer!

• Ran 12/14 Miles
    • Cumulative Completion: 82%

Average 30 Burpees / Day

• Completed 160/210 Burpees
    • Cumulative Completion: 81%

• Approaching Race Day
    • Pass / Fail

• Read 187/187 pages

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%

Awesome week 3. You're doing great on your challenge goas.The Spartan is going to be amazing. You've done a good job on training for it.

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 4 Recap: Victory!!!  Wow is just about all I can say.  If you are thinking about doing a Spartan I highly recommend it!  It kicked my training into a higher gear, and I can't say enough about the positive environment and encouragement from the fellow racers, volunteers and staff.  I definitely have the bug and am plotting a Trifecta in 2018.  Definitely a BHAG as I've never run more than 5 miles at one clip, but I love the idea of pushing myself well beyond my comfort zone and current limits.  For better or worse, I met my burpee goal for this challenge thanks to missing 6 of the 25 obstacles and racing up 185 burpees (one of the obstacles which I did complete required 5 burpees).  Definitely lots of room for improvement on all of the swinging obstacles.

• Ran 14.45/14 Miles
    • Cumulative Completion: 87.1%
    • STA+3

Average 30 Burpees / Day

• Completed 335/210 Burpees
    • Cumulative Completion: 100.6%
    • DEX+3

• Race Complete!
    • Pass
    • STR+5

• Read 187/187 pages
    • WIS+3

Silent Jay

Level 38

Key Milestones / Goals:
%

COngrats on finishing the Spartan!! Glad you enjoyed it, and way to go on going out of your comfort zone, and then setting goals to keep on reaching.