Mistr looks back

Mistr

Challenge #31 - Mistr looks back

SwissMountainPass.png

This challenge marks four years on NF. I started as a rookie (with @Teirin!) back in August 2013. This time instead of looking forward, I am going to go back through my old challenges and log books. I will look at how far I have come and what I still need to do.

Week one: August 2013-July 2014

Week two: August 2014-July 2015

Week three: August 2015-July 2016

Week four: August 2016-July 2017

Hopefully by week four you will have forgotten what I was doing over the last couple months and it will all seem fresh. :D

• Like 6

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

This is why I started saving the first posts of all my challenge threads.  It's amazing to look back and see where I started, how goals have shifted, and if I need to refocus on things that drifted away that I didn't want drifting away. :)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Week 1 links:

Challenge 1: First step to level up. I joined the Elysian Knights accountabilibuddy group. 

Challenge 2: Mistr moves forward with less groaning and creaking. Joined the Rangers.

Challenge 3: Third challenge

Challenge 4: Mistr works on balance

Challenge 5: Mistr gets serious about killing rats

Challenge 6: Mistr moves faster and sleeps more

Challenge 7: Mistr goes outside the box

Challenge 8 started on July 27, 2014. That was when I switched to the Monks at the urging of @RisenPhoenix and @Cheechoe. That is a good point to start for next week.

• Like 2

Level 56  Viking paladin

Current events

I started off Monday getting steriod injections in my big toes. This is the fourth time. Unlike the last time, I was able to get an appointment with my podiatrist before my toes got really bad. Hopefully that will help the drugs kick in faster. It certainly does not hurt as much from the injections as last time.

I have to wonder if the inflamation in my feet was aggravating my knees. My knees felt pretty good yesterday and even better today. I also started taking MgO supplements and stopped using the Cytosport protein powder. Not such a good experiment changing multiple things at once. On the plus side, I have ruled out the MgO as causing gastric distress.

Today I started week three of the revamped GMB Elements program. I like the way they've changed it. The warm-ups are the same every day. You can vary the number of reps based on how you feel. I'm continuing to do extra squat mobility (as linked by RP). Elements is also big on squat mobility. The result is that I am getting much deeper into squats. My knees are still complaining about going through part of the range of motion under load. I can get up and down easily with an assist from my hands.

Another change in the program is more time doing the main movements. There are both endurance and shorter sets of 1 minute movement/1 minute rest for 5 minutes. I'm starting to see real progress in the quality of my movements. Very encouraging. :D 

Family stuff:

Hermes has been working six or seven days a week. It is a remarkable occasion when we see him. I've been using his car while we are waiting for the parts to arrive for him to fix my car. So yesterday I noticed that the brakes on his car had gotten mushy. I texted him and he told me to check the fluid level and add more (he had brake fluid in the trunk). By mid-afternoon he changed his mind and said he would come to my work on the other side of town to check it out. Which he did. He determined that the problem was in one of the front brake lines. He put the wheels back on, packed up his tools and stopped by the auto parts store (where he still works) on his way home.

He spend the rest of the evening fixing the brakes in our driveway. He was just packing up when I headed to bed after 10pm. WTF? He has to be at work at 6:30am. He just had a Snickers bar and a can of Coke for dinner. If I ever had doubts about his appreciation for my support, those are completely gone. :love_heart:

• Like 2

Level 56  Viking paladin

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Sure. :)  What kind of commentary are you hoping to get?

Oh, I dunno. I figure typically the director knows the comments they want to make. Maybe some retrospective stuff?

I mean, they're your challenges, so, however you want to deal with them. I'm just being a wiseacre in the meantime. :P

Although, I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you between injections, training, and Hermes being cool to you. It's always a pleasant surprise when people come through. And I'm glad to hear that GMB is providing something that is more your speed.

I'm glad to hear that you got some treatment for your feet!!! And especially that they do not hurt so much.  Gotta hit those acute phase reactants where they live.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:49 PM, Mistr said:

. There are both endurance and shorter sets of 1 minute movement/1 minute rest for 5 minutes. I'm starting to see real progress in the quality of my movements. Very encouraging.

Nice!! Glad to hear that you've been making progress!

i am also glad to hear things went well with the family and Hermes. Especially given some of the car trouble.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Retrospective part 1

Challenge 1 - I met Teirin and the others who are sadly no longer on NF from our accountabilibuddy group. Two of my big goals were getting more sleep and dealing with CSA veggies. Sounds suspiciously familiar. I was doing a new-to-me exercise program and aikido. One thing I was doing then that I have since dropped was relearning piano.

Current events:

I'm going to an aikido seminar this weekend. If all goes well, I'll have time to do more retrospective reading and comments on Sunday. I took progress pictures and measurements this Monday. If I'm really good I'll get those posted.

• Like 4

Level 56  Viking paladin

Hermes schedule sounds like mine!

I'm intrigued by your challenge, can't wait to see what the retrospective brings :) it also makes me realize I've been here 4 years in January... :o 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

The aikido seminar was AWESOME. So much fun. I heard there would be tests at the end of class on Sunday. I didn't realize until Sunday morning that one of my friends was testing for nidan. I got to take some of the ukemi. So did everyone else. The sensei believes in keeping the ukes fresh and testing nage's endurance. :D 

We had a last minute house guest for the weekend. We were expecting to have one of the younger set crash on our couch for a couple weeks between apartments. At the last minute we learned that he is staying in his apartment and his ex-girlfriend is moving out instead. And a friend needed a place to stay for the weekend to go to a wedding and a job interview. I really enjoy her company. Which meant that I stayed up later than I should have when I got back from training each day. I hope she gets a job here so she can move back to town.

Summary: I had a great weekend. Not enough sleep. No zen, cooking or logging. Did a little laundry and some critical grocery shopping. My big win was setting up pulled pork in the crock pot.

• Like 7

Level 56  Viking paladin

On 8/20/2017 at 10:52 AM, RES said:

Hermes schedule sounds like mine!

I'm intrigued by your challenge, can't wait to see what the retrospective brings :) it also makes me realize I've been here 4 years in January... :o 

Hermes schedule is getting even worse when school starts next week. He will be going to school full time (7:30am-3:30pm every day) and working full time (second shift - to 1:00am). He is also keeping his part-time job and working Sundays so that he can continue to get the employee discount on auto parts. He is planning on getting 5 hours of sleep a night. We'll be lucky to see him at all.

• Sad 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

Retrospective part 2

I'm barely into week 1 and we are almost done with week 2. Time to get moving.

Challenge 2 - Joined the Rangers. @Kishi joined the Elysian Knights. Described the same cooking and eating struggles I still face. Also the problem with cabbage, stress and gas. My complaints about time management are exactly the same ones I have now. I took a piano class. That was fun, but it also showed me how much time it takes to get good at a musical instrument.

Challenge 3 - Started keeping a log book, thanks to  the role model of @FaePrice. Met @Xena@RisenPhoenix and @Cheechoe. Lots of cooking in this challenge. Began my most recent round of knee physical therapy. Doing the Ranger mini-challenges provided some variety in my workouts. I got the warp wound onto my table loom.

Challenge 4 - Worked on time management. Continued with lots of cooking. Attempted to get my will written and totally dropped that goal. It has remained in the dusty, guilty pile of things I should do ever since.

Challenge 5 - Worked on losing weight and successfully changed some eating habits. First discussion of dancing causing feet and knee problems. Continued trying to balance exercise, sleep and doing All The Things.

Challenge 6 - Made lots of progress on losing weight. Lots of aikido. Great progress on cleaning and dreaded tasks by having a list in the challenge. Lots of socializing and house guests. Continuing struggle to get enough sleep.

Challenge 7 - Made more progress on losing weight and getting more sleep. Checked off things on my to-do list. Got to go to a reception at the White House. Met @RES. A good challenge.

Reflections - I was vastly better about scoring then than I am now. I wonder if being better about logging or scoring would be helpful. The relationships I started in the first year made a huge difference in my motivation and success. I miss the people who have wandered away from NF. I hope they are doing well and might come back and say hi some day. My main areas of concern have not changed in four years.

Current events

This week I've been terrible about staying up late and not getting enough sleep. I haven't allowed myself enough time to do fun things. That leads to a nasty cycle of goofing off then staying up too late to finish something useful.

On the plus side, I started taking MgO in addition to vitamin D and either C or B+C stress vitamins. I think those are making a difference for my joints. Possibly also for fatigue in general. I'm much less brain-dead than I would expect after several days short on sleep. I've been good about avoiding caffeine. I had a serving of coffee-heath bar crunch ice cream early in the morning one day.

I haven't sat zen in a week. That may have something to do with my lack of focus.

Goals for this weekend: Go to bed early each night. Taking a nap Saturday can allow for staying up later. Sit zen every day. Do something fun every day. Tell you about it.

Family update - positive news

Spoiler

Elf is doing MUCH better. He got on different meds that seem to be stabilizing his circadians. He got a job bartending, which he really wanted to do. Two of his close friends are bartenders. Apparently it is a status thing to tend bar rather than be a server. He is biking everywhere on his new bike. I think having the freedom to go when and where he wants makes a difference in his feeling control and autonomy in his life.

Right after he started the new job, he ran into a former coworker. She still works at the restaurant near our house. She mentioned that they need people and would be happy to have him back. He stopped by a few days later to talk with the manager and found they had listed his name on the schedule. That is a good thing because his new place of employment drops to shorter hours after Labor Day. Elf is overjoyed to have a positive cash flow again.

He and I have been meeting every other week to keep each other accountable on our goals. He moved forward on another of his goals by signing up to volunteer at a local radio station. He is just thrilled about it. Enough so that he agreed to take a shift that starts at 8:00am. Elf is Not A Morning Person. He'll be getting up to go volunteer after bar tending the night before. Last night he was figuring out the best way to set up transportation so he can make everything fit.

I'm soooooo happy to see him enthusiastic about things in his life. It probably means I won't be able to lean on him as much for cooking. That's okay, I'll cope. Totally worth it. :D 

• Like 4

Level 56  Viking paladin

43 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Reflections - I was vastly better about scoring then than I am now. I wonder if being better about logging or scoring would be helpful. The relationships I started in the first year made a huge difference in my motivation and success. I miss the people who have wandered away from NF. I hope they are doing well and might come back and say hi some day. My main areas of concern have not changed in four years.

The scoring might be an interesting experiment. You might like a return to scoring, or maybe you'll find that you've moved past it. I'm amazed by how helpful the people on this site have been to me over the years. It took me a while to figure out how things worked though! It took me forever to figure out what  " <3 " meant (love something) Or "subbed/subbing" (following/subscribing to a thread). Anyway, I'm glad you veered over to the rangers early on and that I got to meet you!

I think it makes sense that main concerns haven't changed. They are more-or-less life-long pursuits.

So glad Elf has gotten some good breaks. And super cool that you too are real-life accountabilibuddies.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 8/25/2017 at 6:25 PM, Mistr said:

Got to go to a reception at the White House. Met @RES. A good challenge.

I remember that challenge :D and your recap of the White House reception...your narratives and family stories always fascinate me :) 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Weekend report

Sleep: in bed by 11:00 each night. Does not qualify as going to bed early. Not as bad as most weekends, but not good either. I slept 9.5 hours Saturday night and 8 hours Friday night. Hopefully that made up some of my deficit from last week. Sunday night I was up later than I should have been trying to get things done. Dumbledore was up nearly all night getting things ready for work today. He came to bed half an hour before I had to get up. Starting the week short on sleep again.

Meditation: None Friday, sat 17 minutes Saturday and went to zen training on Sunday (55 minutes sitting + 5 minutes walking meditation). Friday night I had neither time or opportunity. I felt like I made good decisions on time management. Dumbledore had friends in the dining room and Elf had friends on the porch. That made my normal spot in the family room noisy and exposed. The house was not quiet until some time after I was asleep.

Fun:

• 1 hour aikido Friday evening
  • Got to have a good conversation with my friend after we split veggies
  • 1.5 hours aikido Saturday with sensei
  • Lunch with Dumbledore
  • looked at rescue cats and put in an application to adopt two.
  • Spinning - started plying yarn. This has been on my wish list for a month. It is a bigger project than I expected. I stopped because my ankle was getting tired.
  • Played too much TwoDots on my phone.

Sunday was completely booked. I suppose I could count going to open mat at the dojo before zen as a fun thing. More like low-key exercise and getting to talk with my friends while helping the beginners.

I spent a lot of time shopping both days. Exciting stuff like linens and groceries. I did find a sweater for Elf on the clearance rack which was a hit. I took way longer than planned at the pet food store. It seems like all the brands have changed in the last two years. The kibble I used to get for my cat is no longer available. I read a lot of labels and tried to guess. Are peas and beans better for cats than corn meal or rice? All the "grain-free" marketing would make you think so.

Sunday evening I did cooking along with Elf. They made roast pork loin. I made tomato & cucumber salad, pickled beets, cooked burgers for dinner and cooked Italian sausage to use in lasagna. The CSA was tomato-heavy again this week. I made salsa from some of last week's tomatos on Friday.

For tonight I'm torn between wanting to go to spinning and wanting to get more done at home. I really want to continue nurturing my social life by going to spinning. Plus that counts as a fun thing on its own merits. On the other hand, if we are able to bring home cats today, I want to spend some time with them. That plan would also support going to sleep early. TBD

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin