Intro from a middle-aged nerd

Greetings!! Well met by moonlight.

I don't feel middle-aged, I really don't. But I look back at myself as a brace-faced early teen, with a copy of the 1st edition D&D red box in my school backpack, and a well worn copy of "Stranger in a Strange Land," and I realize that at 45yrs old I am a young nerd no more. In the interim I have been a founding member of a clown troupe, a High School science teacher, fenced at the National level, lived for 7 years in Japan teaching English, been married and divorced (twice!!) and now live with my beautiful partner on our small alpaca and llama (and chicken, and turkey and duck and cat) farm outside the quake capital of New Zealand, Christchurch.

And the other sad realisation is that living on a farm and doing contracting work (training and caring for alpacas and llamas) leaves little time or motivation to keep up my gym work. And a month ago I caught sight of my reflection and SAW it. Ouch!!! I'm not in terrible shape, but oh boy, I'm not in great shape either. So, no more just reading the fitness sites - it's time to do something serious about it. I bought a power cage, some more plates for my oly bar, a couple more kettlebells and made up a program.

Part of that program is to put my money where my mouth is and make myself known on a like-minded community, post some goals and invest myself in achieving results. Time to lose some fat, get my deadlift back and share some information and hopefully some laughs.

In the coming days I'll post some measurements, my training goals and program, my supplements ( because I do like to do science using myself as the guinea pig), my diet and probably some opinions :-)

I'm a little nervous about putting myself out here, but excited too.

Merry meet, merry part and merry meet again :-)

Pagan

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

Welcome! Just so you know, there is a collection of 40+ folk on here as well as all the "kids". And we lift heavy things, run long distances and practice being awesome too!

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Hehe, I believe that's an alpaca, Snake ;)

Welcome, Pagan! Ross is correct, there are a bunch of 40+ people that could probably beat some of us 20-somethings pretty handily in lifting and running (and possibly in being awesome). We're all here for fun and fitness too, so I hope your nerves don't stick with you too long. Sounds like you've got a great attitude and are in it for the long haul! Also, I love that you have a farm :)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

The skinny neck does make it look giraffe-like, but yeah, pretty sure it's an alpaca :)

Welcome and merry meet to you! And agreed with Lu, pretty sure just about all the 40+ people on here would absolutely hand me my @ss.

Anyway, take a look around, ask questions if you have them, and save a place for me because I totally want to go to NZ someday!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

welcome! this is an awesome place and I'm so glad I found it.

BTW, another 40+ here. ;-) Maybe we need a "I remember beta-max" forum. LOL.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I remember televisions without a remote control :)

Black and white with rabbit ears, or an antennae with a rotor that you used to point it in the right direction. 4 channels. And cars without seat belts.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Cassette drives. Punch card programming. Pong. Gopher. Bank books. Gerald Ford. Solid Gold. Name That Tune. Bowling For Dollars. Mr. Merlin. Walkman's. Tony Orlando and Dawn. Sonny & Cher. Meadowlark Lemon. MTV showing music videos. TV ” converter”. UHF VHF. Television stations signing off with the National Anthem. Duck and Cover. Nuclear Shelters. Genesis lead singer: Peter Gabriel.

Pagan LOVES the walk down memory lane, right buddy? Matter of fact, this walk down memory lane has so inspired him that he is now running from it..... go!! go!! run faster, run farther!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

which reminds me: I remember when people didn't really wear running shoes... no nikes... ya just ran around in your sneakers

I AM going the distance