Odinson rolls his stats

Odinson

Image result for d&d 3.5 stats

So after the intro mission which was last month’s challenge I have now decided to create my new character. I am a sucker for playing the general okay at most things jack of all trades character in every rpg I play so this is reflected here with this month’s challenge. I know I have come in late but I have been a good ranger and kept my workouts & batch cooking going.

Str + 1

Dumbbell Division Level One workout for the four weeks (12 Workouts Min)

Eat more protein (meat, supplements and basically hit 1g per kilo)

Dex + 1

7500 Steps per day

Warm up and Cool down every workout

Con + 1

Treadmill 12 mins on current speed must be doing 15 mins by the end of the challenge (12 Min)

Sleep Seven hours at least 80% of the time

Int + 1

Read one book relating to skill increase can be any of the following subjects; woodwork, gardening or survival

Attend interview and commit presentation to memory

Research available martial arts in the local area

Wis + 1

Read one book relating to Mind-set can be any subject; religion, philosophy or self-improvement  

Wild camp one night alone this month

Cha + 1

Throw a dinner party (Mixed) for at least five people one has to be a new person

Talk more at work don’t just read or browse the internet at dinner get to know my colleagues

Skills

Long Rifle (visit range twice this month)

DIY (Decorate the bedroom)

Ranger (Climb; Swim or Hike at least twice in the challenge)

Have to keep logging food, batch cooking and eating three times daily as per last challenge.

• Like 1

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

STR-0.5 DEX-1.5 CON-1 INT-2 WIS-1 CHA-1

'What we think we become' Buddha

36 minutes ago, Odinson said:

I am a sucker for playing the general okay at most things jack of all trades character in every rpg I play so this is reflected here with this month’s challenge. I know I have come in late but I have been a good ranger and kept my workouts & batch cooking going.

Around these parts, we call that being a Ranger!

Following!

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Nice challenge! What is wild camping? I'm guessing it isn't similar to glamping.:lol:

I like your skills where you say hiking, climbing or swimming at least twice. It's a good number to shoot for , and gives you some options

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 8/17/2017 at 5:29 PM, jonfirestar said:

Around these parts, we call that being a Ranger!

Following!

Well Jon! You have sparked my inner ranger as I have just signed up to my first tough mudder after reading your epic challenge log! 

On 8/17/2017 at 6:14 PM, Elastigirl said:

Nice challenge! What is wild camping? I'm guessing it isn't similar to glamping.:lol:

I like your skills where you say hiking, climbing or swimming at least twice. It's a good number to shoot for , and gives you some options

Wild camping is camping anywhere that isn't a regulated site! In the UK there are laws on camping so you are not technically allow to camp anywhere that is not a campsite. However I believe this law to be a load of garbage as long as you are respectful of the area and leave the area as you found it. I regularly end up hiking out with an extra bag of litter as I take any other peoples rubbish I find as well. 

• Like 1

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

14 minutes ago, Odinson said:

Well Jon! You have sparked my inner ranger as I have just signed up to my first tough mudder after reading your epic challenge log! 

So I've heard, good for you! Tough Mudder was my first OCR too and you're gonna love it!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Week One Review

Managed three workouts this week, going prior to work is really working well. Warm up and cool down are really helping with reducing DOM's and tightness.

Step count is ticking over nicely got to a weekly 8,000 steps.

Batch cooking on target and I am steadily increasing my calories and protein intake. Just bought some protein powder to start experimenting.

Sleep bang on target solid Seven hours a night if not more.

Reading 'Essentialism' by Greg McKeown and Some old WW2 Field manuals for some camping/Survival tips.

Presentation and Mock interview questions studied as much as possible have my job interview on Wednesday an I am terrified. 

Going camping in Oban in Scotland on Thursday to Saturday and going to do a night on the Isle of Mull, Longest trip I have done camping alone but will help me clear my mind after the interview news.

Invited a few people round this Sunday so got to figure out what to cook, probably a Roast dinner but not sure yet. Got to drum up the courage to ask a 'New Person'!.

Been to the range to practice with a 44 lever action not gonna lie I felt as cool as John Wayne!

Also just signed up to my first Tough Mudder!

• Like 2

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

Week Two Review

Only managed two workouts this week however I have hiked a ton upwards to ten miles a day for three days plus went swimming in the sea in Oban Scotland so going to class that as a win.

Batch cooking was out of the window this week as I was only at work one day and was on holiday for the rest. Three meals a day or more massively increased calorie intake whilst away to help keep me energised.

Been offered a new job teaching at the local college after a successful interview last week, I hammered visualisation exercises to help prepare and I must admit I noticed a major shift in my confidence.

Reading and implementing the skills outlined in the WW2 field manuals; tried a few fire tricks and shelter building whilst in Scotland.

Sleep has been a bit sporadic; got a bit wet and wild so I didn’t manage to hit my target.

Sunday roast went well for the charisma challenge; didn’t manage to ask a new person but did talk to a ‘stranger’ whom my friend brought. Going to set up another invite and grow some nuts and just invite somebody outside of my comfort zone!  

Spent Bank Holiday Monday decorating my Bedroom with the world’s worst hangover! Red wine and then cheap lager do not make good bed fellows! Still work to do but am happy with the progress.

Going into next week I have a difficult decision to make as I have to decide if I will take this new job; I am terrified as it involves four days a week teaching classes and I get really nervous in front of people. Plus it’s a full time job plus having to complete a degree is pretty intense; however my current job is a little stale.

On 8/25/2017 at 1:08 AM, Xena said:

Wow, you've done a FANTASTIC job this week.

How was the job interview? Sorry I didn't see this in time to wish you luck!

How are you liking Essentialism? I just looked at the online review. It sounded pretty interesting.

Thanks a lot Xena I got the job just need to see what package they are offering so the preparation paid off.

Essentialism is a interesting read so far and I have started to think about implementing some of the practices as I struggle sometimes with saying 'No' at work and also I should prioritize things like spending more time on the forums as reading about your guys progress gives me a kick in the butt!

21106811_10213779282060214_625564357936308717_n.jpg

21149894_10213779281580202_5481350658024064091_n.jpg

• Like 1

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

Having a really difficult week since Tuesday; not been motivated to get of my arse and get to the gym this week and on Tuesday I ended up blowing out on a load of beer; vodka and pizza (Bloody Dominos). Then yesterday at my regular DnD group I ended up getting a kebab and drank another four pack. I think I have just derailed hard. I have been trundling along for the past six weeks and crashed hard. Not hit any of my goals for this week or batch cooked or anything. I am really stressed about the decision I have to make regarding my career however this is not exactly cultivating an anti-fragile or resilient coping strategy. I am going to go see one of my ‘friend/mentors’ tonight who just happens to be a teacher so I can pick his brains about what to expect. Then tomorrow I will be up a six and back on the Iron as I don’t want this to spiral any further!

On 8/29/2017 at 4:26 PM, Xena said:

Congratulations on the job offer! And good job reaching out of your comfort zone. I know there are pros and cons, but the teaching job could be another way of reaching outside your comfort zone.

True Xena I am just really struggling as I have never been in a position where I have been offered a job when my current job hasn’t reached that natural time to leave. I also am terrified of getting up to teach people for fear of sounding stupid! I have been looking at some options on training on presenting skills etc. to boast my confidence. Thanks for the insight!

images d20.jpg

• Like 3

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

I do some grad-level teaching. I do have anxiety before the classes, but I mostly enjoy it. I'm sure you'll hear this a lot: It's super hard the first time you teach something but then gets easier. There are strategies for dealing with the stress.

One thing that helped me feel better: The main class that I teach is divided into two parts with different instructors. The other instructor is much more senior than I am and widely regarded as a great educator. The first year, I fought my way through my lectures, feeling like a complete hack. Then I sat in on one of her classes. I saw her "teach her way into a corner." She started talking about something she didn't completely understand, and it eventually became obvious that she had made a mistake in her initial explanation. I was REALLY relieved to see that. It happens to everyone. People make mistakes and it's not that big a deal.

I've learned that when I don't feel like I've explained a point very well, I can go back and hit it again the next class. And students react pretty well to honesty. You can certainly admit to not knowing something or having made a mistake. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Anyway, it's ok that you've derailed a little. You can pull it together.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I do some grad-level teaching. I do have anxiety before the classes, but I mostly enjoy it. I'm sure you'll here this a lot: It's super hard the first time you teach some thing but then gets easier. There are strategies for dealing with the stress.

One thing that helped me feel better: The main class that I teach is divided into two parts with different instructors. The other instructor is much more senior than I am and widely regarded as a great educator. The first year, I fought my way through my lectures, feeling like a complete hack. Then I sat in on one of her classes. I saw her "teach her way into a corner." She started talking about something she didn't completely understand, and it eventually became obvious that she had made a mistake in her initial explanation. I was REALLY relieved to see that. It happens to everyone. People make mistakes and it's not that big a deal.

I've learned that when I don't feel like I've explained a point very well, I can go back and hit it again the next class. And students react pretty well to honesty. You can certainly admit to not knowing something or having made a mistake. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Anyway, it's ok that you've derailed a little. You can pull it together.

The main issue is I will be working in an award winning teaching establishment with a highly regarded reputation and I have no formal teaching qualifications. I have a huge amount of experience in the field I will be teaching; my problem is articulating that experience to other people. I will be given the opportunity to obtain a teaching degree for free which is amazing. I suppose it’s just fear of the unknown as I am completely changing my career.

It’s a really good point that everybody can make a mistake even ‘experts’ and making sure that you go back over material that you feel was not explained the next class is really great advice. Thanks for the great insight I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond:) 

• Like 1

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

Sounds like a tremendous opportunity. Talking to your friend/mentor is a great idea. Having an idea of what to expect is helpful in dealing with anxiety.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

So I had a great discussion with my friend and his wife last night; they both head up departments at a local school and I must admit a came away feeling a lot calmer. They cooked me a curry and I even got to try a home brewed beer; so now it is just a case of seeing what the package is that they offer me but I feel like I can tackle the role.

Got up this morning and got back on track; did my work out and then had a healthy breakfast (Asparagus and Eggs). I am going to cut myself some slack for derailing as I am very risk averse and the job offer scrabbled my patterns and routines a little bit so my natural response is to stress.

So onward and upwards I have to get through work then I have guests staying tonight as we are attending a local festival tomorrow; then Sunday I think a nice hike with my friends if I can get together if not I will do a trail myself and enjoy a bit of solitude. 

• Like 1

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

Str + 1

Dumbbell Division Level One workout for the four weeks (12 Workouts Min)

Eat more protein (meat, supplements and basically hit 1g per kilo)

FAIL Only Managed Six workouts in four weeks! Protein and eating also taken a hit this month.

Dex + 1

7500 Steps per day

Warm up and Cool down every workout

PASS Steps are massively increasing due to increased mobility and my current job involves walking miles of hospital corridors.

Con + 1

Treadmill 12 mins on current speed must be doing 15 mins by the end of the challenge (12 Min)

Sleep Seven hours at least 80% of the time

FAIL Didn't hit my treadmill goals this challenge however sleep has been consistent just a few bad nights. 

Int + 1

Read one book relating to skill increase can be any of the following subjects; woodwork, gardening or survival

Attend interview and commit presentation to memory

Research available martial arts in the local area

PASS Read two skill books this month; Gardening & Field manuals, Got offered the job so obviously presentation went well and have researched potential martial arts in my local area.

Wis + 1

Read one book relating to Mind-set can be any subject; religion, philosophy or self-improvement  

Wild camp one night alone this month

PASS I have read Essentialism and wild camped up in Scotland 

Cha + 1

Throw a dinner party (Mixed) for at least five people one has to be a new person

Talk more at work don’t just read or browse the internet at dinner get to know my colleagues

FAIL Really struggling to connect with some colleagues at work but hosted a dinner party!

Skills

Long Rifle (visit range twice this month)

DIY (Decorate the bedroom)

Ranger (Climb; Swim or Hike at least twice in the challenge)

FAIL Got plenty of ranger skills this month camping; hiking and swimming. Only visited the range once this month which is not good enough. Bedroom still half done need to get that finished ASAP however new computer game came out this month and its hard not to get distracted by it!

Have to keep logging food, batch cooking and eating three times daily as per last challenge.

Logged most of my food had a bit of a dip; batch cooking and eating three times a day has completely gone backwards. 

So this months challenge is a bit of a mixed bag; some things I have smashed but others have fallen by the wayside. It has been a busy and stressful month so I do wonder if I over reached this month. Gonna refocus on some of the basics again next challenge in order to establish a strong foundation. Next month is going to be crazy as I have a huge product roll out at work and I have to start preping to go back to school as I have to do a PGCE for my new job.

Again I say this a lot but I get frustrated with how little time I can commit to the site which is not good because its a rock in my frantic life at the moment and engaging with you guys gives me confidence I can better myself.

• Like 2

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3

12 hours ago, Odinson said:

Again I say this a lot but I get frustrated with how little time I can commit to the site which is not good because its a rock in my frantic life at the moment and engaging with you guys gives me confidence I can better myself.

I wouldn't worry about that. You post occasionally but very consistently. You stuck with your challenge, and it seems to be mostly working for you. Spend more time on the forum some day when you have more time to spare.

The main thing I noticed from your list this time was that it was LONG! Pretty much every goal had multiple parts. And even when you "failed" on a goal you often completed substantial parts of it. I like your idea of streamlining your next challenge. On the other hand, you don't necessarily have to lose track of all the other things you would like to do. You might try making your challenge more flexible, considering some of the goals "bonus goals", goals with a more generous time limit, or "grab bag" goals where you can make a big list and consider it a success if you finish some proportion of it.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Agreeing with Xena on both counts. One, you only have as much time as you have, so don't feel guilty about not spending more time here.

Secondly, your list is super long. Sticking to three goals (three real goals no subsets:)) is super hard, but  just making myself whittle it down to three goals really helps me to prioritize. Even when I don't write it down, some of the other things that didn't make the top list are in my mind. I sometimes work on them, but if (when) life  gets crazy having  just a few priorities really helps my focus.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xena said:

I wouldn't worry about that. You post occasionally but very consistently. You stuck with your challenge, and it seems to be mostly working for you. Spend more time on the forum some day when you have more time to spare.

The main thing I noticed from your list this time was that it was LONG! Pretty much every goal had multiple parts. And even when you "failed" on a goal you often completed substantial parts of it. I like your idea of streamlining your next challenge. On the other hand, you don't necessarily have to lose track of all the other things you would like to do. You might try making your challenge more flexible, considering some of the goals "bonus goals", goals with a more generous time limit, or "grab bag" goals where you can make a big list and consider it a success if you finish some proportion of it.

I think the grab bag idea is excellent so I will incorporate that into my next challenge; thinking ranger grab bag to build up skills and keep the main element of the challenge focused on healthy habits and fitness. I get carried away with lists and I find if I don’t set goals nothing is achieved. I think you make an insightful point about flexibility so thank you.

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Agreeing with Xena on both counts. One, you only have as much time as you have, so don't feel guilty about not spending more time here.

Secondly, your list is super long. Sticking to three goals (three real goals no subsets:)) is super hard, but  just making myself whittle it down to three goals really helps me to prioritize. Even when I don't write it down, some of the other things that didn't make the top list are in my mind. I sometimes work on them, but if (when) life  gets crazy having  just a few priorities really helps my focus.

Cheers for the advice and as next month is going to be really busy I think sticking to and reinforcing my current achievements will be the best bet.

• Like 2

Level 1 Wasteland Ranger

Challenges 1 2 3