PositiveBlue - Big E Goal Post

PositiveBlue

I'm posting late but have already been kind of working on my goals.

As this is sort of a return to action, I'm going easy this round.

Goal 1: 7 Minutes of physical activity, 3x per week

This is a challenge presented to me by a life coach.  Due to a flux of change, my physical activity dropped from running a couple times a week to pretty much nothing.  So she presented me this challenge - just take 7 minutes.  It's easier to commit to 7 minutes than to 20 or 30.  This is the launch pad for my habit building.

Goal 2: Engage Intermittent Fasting, 6-7x per week

I've been kind of doing this by accident during the work week (mostly because I was skipping breakfast due to no time/distracted at break time).  However, I want to be more mindful of my eating habits and make this a purposeful change.  One small step toward mindful food consumption.

Ultimate goal will be for 7 days per week.  For this challenge, I will be okay with 6 days.

Goal 3: Start Learning Spanish, 10 minutes per day

This is one goal that is starting late with this post.  My town has a lot of folks who speak Spanish and my son will be taking a Spanish class when school starts.  In a previous challenge, a woman in my accountability group used Duolingo to learn Spanish for a trip and it worked really well for her.  So I'm going to be a bit of a copy cat and to the same.  So from today out, I'm going to try to gain some sort of basic fluency.

As for the title of this challenge...well, I live in Massachusetts and September 15th is the start of the Big E.  This year, I'm aiming to recreate a favorite childhood memory.  As a kid, my mom would pull me from school for 1 day and the two of us would spend the entire day walking around the Big E.  We did this every year and it was our "family vacation".  This year, I'm going to do the same for my son.  1 day, just me and him, taking in everything.  That is the goal I am reaching for right now.  The "reward" if you will.

Small steps towards permanent change.

• Like 3

Hi PositiveBlue, better late than never!

You have pretty nice goals, good luck with them!

1 hour ago, PositiveBlue said:

We did this every year and it was our "family vacation".  This year, I'm going to do the same for my son.  1 day, just me and him, taking in everything.  That is the goal I am reaching for right now.  The "reward" if you will.

That sounds like a great vacation. :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I'm posting late but have already been kind of working on my goals.
As this is sort of a return to action, I'm going easy this round.

Goal 1: 7 Minutes of physical activity, 3x per week
This is a challenge presented to me by a life coach.  Due to a flux of change, my physical activity dropped from running a couple times a week to pretty much nothing.  So she presented me this challenge - just take 7 minutes.  It's easier to commit to 7 minutes than to 20 or 30.  This is the launch pad for my habit building.

Goal 2: Engage Intermittent Fasting, 6-7x per week
I've been kind of doing this by accident during the work week (mostly because I was skipping breakfast due to no time/distracted at break time).  However, I want to be more mindful of my eating habits and make this a purposeful change.  One small step toward mindful food consumption.
Ultimate goal will be for 7 days per week.  For this challenge, I will be okay with 6 days.

Goal 3: Start Learning Spanish, 10 minutes per day
This is one goal that is starting late with this post.  My town has a lot of folks who speak Spanish and my son will be taking a Spanish class when school starts.  In a previous challenge, a woman in my accountability group used Duolingo to learn Spanish for a trip and it worked really well for her.  So I'm going to be a bit of a copy cat and to the same.  So from today out, I'm going to try to gain some sort of basic fluency.

As for the title of this challenge...well, I live in Massachusetts and September 15th is the start of the Big E.  This year, I'm aiming to recreate a favorite childhood memory.  As a kid, my mom would pull me from school for 1 day and the two of us would spend the entire day walking around the Big E.  We did this every year and it was our "family vacation".  This year, I'm going to do the same for my son.  1 day, just me and him, taking in everything.  That is the goal I am reaching for right now.  The "reward" if you will.
Small steps towards permanent change.
It looks such a great plan and a wonderful memory! Excuse the silly question: what is the big E?

Sent from my HTC Desire 728G dual sim using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Duolingo is pretty cool. Once you've gotten started, make sure you take advantage of having Spanish-speakers to practice with if you can! That's the one thing I don't like about it, the lack of oral practice.

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

It looks such a great plan and a wonderful memory! Excuse the silly question: what is the big E?

Sent from my HTC Desire 728G dual sim using Tapatalk

I've lived in Massachusetts for 20+ years and all I know is the E stands for expo. I think. ^^;

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

The Big E is the Eastern States Exposition.  It is basically a giant regional fair, tons of food, shopping, agriculture, and games.

I'm enjoying the Duolingo so far and have a 4 day streak going (I haven't done today's yet).  Luckily there are a number of people around me who speak Spanish, so I should be able to get some verbal learning in.  Though I will need to create a second account for my son as he has been trying to steal my phone so he could try.

On To the Status Update:

1: Movement...Last week was rocky but I did hit the goal, though 1 day was only 8 minutes (I have a meet or exceed mindset for this one).  I will take the small win and go with though.

2. IF...5 days I kept food within an 8-hour window.  The "off" days were within 9 hour windows.  During the week, it is easier as I stick with a 12-8 schedule for food.  While at work I am kept busy and can just go until lunch.  My weekend days are a bit harder because the kids still want to eat breakfast, so I am cooking food while trying not to eat it.  It leads to an early temptation of willpower.  This will take some adjusting to get used to.

3. Spanish...As stated above, I'm on day 4 of a streak.  I hit my goal every day since Friday.  I'll do today's goal after work.  The Spanish is going and while a few words have tripped me up, I'm enjoying the progress.  My cousin has stated that she will download the app as well, so I will have a Spanish buddy.  No doubt this will lead to other languages further down the line as she and I are the types to push each other.  It's a good relationship.

Yesterday was the Solar Eclipse and while MA did not experience totality we did experience a partial.  In "light" of this event, the local school district had a Fun in the Sun day.  They handed out protective glasses, had science displays, a projection telescope, and even a "build-your-own" viewer station.  This was held at the football field, which had a lovely track around it.  While my kids ran around the football field with friends, I took the opportunity to walk the track a little.  The event was a lot of fun and I loved the projection telescope.  A high school science teacher had it up and it projected the sun onto a piece of canvass, so you could see the eclipse without looking up.

I love the events like this that my town has.  It was a lot of fun.

• Like 2

As August winds down, my family is facing some transition.  The problem is, it is not the period I was anticipating.  At the beginning of August, we were looking at my husband getting a semi-promotion (due to someone leaving), a change in hours, a need for a new car, and my son starting middle school by the end of the month.

Now, the kid starts school next week that is the only thing that hasn't changed.  My husband job managed to bribe the guy leaving into staying, so no change in hours and they cut my husband's overtime.  My job on the other hand is moving it's manufacturing to another state by the end of September (they gave a 6 week timetable, this was not planned) and while I stay put, I still need to do a lot more coordination than usual with my plant manager so we can schedule material around the move and get things out the door.

I feel like I was braced for impact from the left and it hit me on the right.  While I'm happy I don't have to change my commute to 1.5 hours away, the change has still disrupted my equilibrium, for lack of a better way to say it.

The mantra at home right now seems to be "just one day at a time".  I'm still stressed and didn't realize how much until I started writing this.

Wake me up when September end?

• Like 3
13 hours ago, PositiveBlue said:

I feel like I was braced for impact from the left and it hit me on the right.  While I'm happy I don't have to change my commute to 1.5 hours away, the change has still disrupted my equilibrium, for lack of a better way to say it.

I think that's a very eloquent way of putting it. Being prepared for change doesn't necessarily equate to being prepared for any change at any time. Change in general takes a lot of mental and emotional labor, and to a certain degree we start to get invested in anticipated changes once we learn they're coming. So in some ways, when a change you were expecting doesn't come, you have to do some work to un-change. Then on top of that, you had a bunch of unexpected stuff from another quarter. Sounds like a lot. 

13 hours ago, PositiveBlue said:

The mantra at home right now seems to be "just one day at a time".  I'm still stressed and didn't realize how much until I started writing this.

I always get caught off guard by how much I'm dealing with at any given moment. Then I take a minute to sort through it all and it's like, "whoa, no wonder I'm so exhausted. Who thought I could do all that?" One way or another, you get through it. Just one day at a time is a good approach, but you might also consider planning a little farther ahead for the little things that add up, if it helps: having a meal plan, a cleaning schedule, and an exercise routine can help you frame each day and free you to slot in the surprise stuff as it comes. Best of luck! 

As if you're not dealing with enough already... how's your challenge going? 

• Like 2

booooo @ everything. Have you managed to even out a little bit since Friday?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Status Update: Week of 8/21

Movement:  3/3

We hit the movement goal...somehow.  I'm still a little confused how that worked out but I'll take it.  Some time on the playground with the kids mostly.  Which was nice, we had good weather for it.

IF: 7/7

The IF is working out really well.  The mindfulness from watching when I eat is translating into what I eat.  The cascade effect in motion...Also, I have really been craving salads.

Spanish: 7/7

The streak is strong and fun.  I was really proud of myself when Duolingo said I was 2% fluent.  Kind of a ridiculous number but happy me nonetheless.  Also, I learned the word for bear is oso.  Special Agent Oso makes more sense now (kids show that is occasionally consumed in my household).

As to the off balance feelings, they are still there but getting better.  I've redirected my energy a bit which has helped.  The redirection has been mostly into planning my daughter's 4th birthday.  A fun distraction....that I also need to get invitations sent out for this week...add to checklist.

In Random Events for the week:  While at the park, we came across a pitbull mix that had escaped her yard/house.  Really sweet dog.  I would up "dog sitting" for almost an hour waiting for animal control to show up.  Thankfully the dog stayed in the park until the last 10-15 minutes.  I had a couple people say to leave the dog alone, she'd get home on her own.  The fact that I had one dog killed by a hit-and-run and two other dogs who could never find their way home made me really uncomfortable with that idea.  Also, she had a local license tag, so the police would be able to contact her owners.  I'd rather the piece of mind that the dog is safe than cross my fingers.

• Like 2

How's it going?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Week of 8/28:

Movement: 2/3...By the end of the week this was combination no energy and back-to-school.  Then the weekend was playing the "broke college kid" stereotype.  Where basically I bring my kids and a ton of laundry to my mother's house and we hang out for the day.  Laundry at my apartment is $4.15 per load.  While there, I played with the dog a bit outside, throwing bones but I don't feel like the counts much toward the movement goal.

IFF: 7/7...This goal is going really well.  There have been a couple of times where I consciously made the choice not to eat even being a bit hungry since it was outside my time.  I try to stick to 12-8 as my window with some flexibility based on what's going on.

Spanish: 6/7...1 day was missed courtesy of the migraine of doom.  Migraines are pretty frequent occurrences for me but every now and again I get one that just floors me.  It sucked. I didn't move much that day.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, fleaball said:

How's it going?

Fleaball - Thanks for checking in. 

Actually this week is starting out with a really nice vibe.  Yesterday I had the day off and both kids were at school/daycare.  So I took a gate admission that my neighbor gave me and went for a walk at Tower Hill Botanical Garden.  Talk about a place that is good for the soul.  I took lots of pictures of various things and felt like a big kid.  It was also pretty cool that they had an installation called "A Wild Rumpus" - that made me smile, as my son really liked Where the Wild Things Are.

Then this morning, I did a weigh-in (usually this is supposed to be a Sunday morning thing...oops) and since I really started tracking everything I'm down 6 pounds.  I was stupid happy about that.

Now I have to get some graph paper and frosting, the little girl turns 4 on Saturday and I'm making the cake.

• Like 2

Belated happy birthday to your little girl!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi