Teirin moves

Teirin

Hi all. 

The bad:  Largely failed last challenge.  Late to this one.  Moving in 10 days.  Doing not much for workouts.  My cab budget has been unacceptably high of late.  Some supply runs for large things are acceptable but cabbing to work has popped up again.

The good:  I did have a whole week plus 2 weekends off and I am feeling quite a lot better.  Most of my stuff is packed, some of the cleaning is done, and I have been sleeping 6-9 hours/night for about 10 days.  My brain does NOT feel like crap.  I also read several books!

Goal 1 - get the move sorted

Complete task list set up on paper/Habitica.  Most of the admin details are sorted.

Goal 2 - At least minimal exercise

Walk to work every day unless it is really raining out

Stretch every night

At least one proper workout per week

Goal 3 - use sleep calculator to set my alarm

I ran some experiments and when I am sleeping, my sleep cycles are quite normal.  If I set my alarm better, I should continue feeling better. 

Leechblock facebook and reddit at home except for small amounts of time.

Goal 4 - spend extra time with cats daily.

Moving is really stressful for them.  Cally is quite enjoying the stacks of boxes and the occasionally unearthed spider at least.  Trista is extra snuggly.

Yeah, this is a bit of a crap challenge.  Better soon.  Promise.

• Like 3

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

You didn't fail your last challenge, you just have more experience on how to do your future challenges.  This challenge isn't a bit of crap at all, you are doing something to improve!  Any challenge, big or small, is a good challenge. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

You have a big immediate goal for this challenge. Moving is a LOT of work. Clearly you are on top of the planning, but it still takes time to implement. Unpacking and setting up your new place will take time too. You could even count moving boxes as strength training. ;) 

Thankfully you don't have a long drive with the cats. I did that for one of my moves and it was miserable.

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 8/21/2017 at 10:32 PM, Shotokan said:

You didn't fail your last challenge, you just have more experience on how to do your future challenges.  This challenge isn't a bit of crap at all, you are doing something to improve!  Any challenge, big or small, is a good challenge. 

Thanks.  I mostly let the details become everything and then I get bogged down in them.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:46 AM, Kishi said:

You didn't fail if you learned, and it's not crap if you're moving forward.

Good to have you back. :)

Moving forward to a place with a spare room (to be my home gym!), storage room, and a dishwasher!  My plan is to make it as easy as possible to work out at home.

On 8/22/2017 at 3:31 PM, Toshimi said:

Welcome back!

On 8/23/2017 at 6:47 PM, Mistr said:

You have a big immediate goal for this challenge. Moving is a LOT of work. Clearly you are on top of the planning, but it still takes time to implement. Unpacking and setting up your new place will take time too. You could even count moving boxes as strength training. ;) 

Thankfully you don't have a long drive with the cats. I did that for one of my moves and it was miserable.

The planning is pretty solid, I think.  The packing is also going really well.  It's the cleaning that I hate.  Not the general stuff, but the cleaning around the toilet and washing windows stuff.  It's not even that difficult but I hate it.  Struggling with that some.  Willpower training :-/  It has to be done and I can't justify spending the money on a cleaning service when I *can* do it.

As it turns out, I will have a fair bit of free time for the unpacking and setup.  I'm moving next Thursday.  Have that day and the Friday off to handle it, then a long weekend since Monday is a holiday!  That should give me time to sort out the new place.  I'm pretty excited about that part. 

The bathroom is now sparkling clean.  That's the big one done.  Most of the windows only need a quick wipe-down, but there is one hard-to-reach window needing extra work.  Largely because it's hard to reach.

Walking to work and stretching is good so far this week.  I've been snuggling the kitties extra and I hope it's enough.  They seem ok.  

Sleep was great Sunday and Monday nights.  I got to bed before midnight and slept reasonably well.  Tuesday and Wednesday nights I fell into "Just one more box to pack/thing to do" and got to bed late.  Not great nights but ok.  I have been using the sleep calculator but waking up in the middle of the night throws it off and my alarm ends up going off in the middle of a sleep cycle.  Then I drag for the morning.   Trying to make it to bed by midnight tonight, but I do need a shower after all of that scrubbing.

aaand Cally just scared herself by jumping into a stacked packing box.  Good grief.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Off work for 5 days!  Working more on cleaning the kitchen tonight, and the move is tomorrow.  I'd planned on starting the move tonight, but ended up working until 8.  Not overly happy about that, but it all needed to be done and so it was.  I will not have internet for at least part of tomorrow, if not most of the day.

Most goals are fine, but I only walked to work 1 day out of 3 this week.  All else is on track.  The kitties are feeling the stress though.  One of my friends volunteered to come over and sit with them while the movers and I make the worst of the noise, which is really great of him.  Trista adores him and Cally hates him less than everyone-else-not-Teirin.

It seems that I'm overkilling the cleaning at home but I cannot leave a dirty apartment for the next tenant.  Especially since she seems like a nice kid.  Downside:  prev tenant in my new place wasn't able to get much cleaning done so I get to do a fair bit over there too.  Not awesome, but the carpets just got ripped out.  i was going to need to do a fair bit of cleaning after that anyway.   I had warned her so she didn't bother to clean the carpets.  That would have been a waste of time and money.  The landlords got key tasks in the kitchen.  I still only need to clean one oven!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I hope your okay from the fall.  Be careful in the tub.  My wife wanted to strangle me when I told her I was doing side thrust kicks standing in the tub when taking a shower.  I told her that I thought the hot water would help my make hips work better.

Congrats on the successful move!

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

On 01/09/2017 at 11:39 AM, Kishi said:

I hope you broke the fall well, and not yourself in the falling. o_O

A few bruised knees, otherwise fine!

On 01/09/2017 at 1:27 PM, chemgeek said:

Ouch! Congrats on finishing the move!

On 02/09/2017 at 2:15 AM, Shotokan said:

I hope your okay from the fall.  Be careful in the tub.  My wife wanted to strangle me when I told her I was doing side thrust kicks standing in the tub when taking a shower.  I told her that I thought the hot water would help my make hips work better.

Congrats on the successful move!

.....You need good tub grip to be able to pull that one off.  I don't blame her for worrying!  Say Hi to her for me :-)

I'm still unpacking, but the move is largely sorted.  There were some potantial problems with the power in my living room but they turned out to be several small problems and not one big problem.  Much preferable.  I have so much space now!  Sadly, still a fair bit of cleaning to do.

Walking to work is not going so well this week.  Tommorrow is supposed to be heavy rain and will possibly be another cab day.  I am at least getting a walk up to Costco today.

I'm using the sleep calculator but I'm waking up through the night again.  That throws off the wakeup time.

Foam run this weekend!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 9/6/2017 at 6:16 PM, Mistr said:

Yay for the move going smoothly and having more space!

Sorry that you have to do extra cleaning in your new place. At least there is no longer time pressure to get it done. Considering how much of a stair workout you had, you can give yourself some grace on walking to work.

Yeah, I'm slow unpacking, but the place is coming together!

On 9/7/2017 at 11:05 AM, Kishi said:

Ooh, foam run! That sounds like it's going to be fun.

Also, sounds like a good move and an upgrade overall. Cool!

It was apparently a blast, though I did not make it.  The new workout room will have a wall of shame with tickets for OCRs that I signed up for and didn't run. 

Insomnia weekend:  did not sleep much.  Stayed home and got some stuff done.  Still got stuff done!  Not including foam run :-(

Overall:

Move goal:  Got through the move and that place was clean when I left it.  Satisfied. 

Exercise:  I walked to work most days, stretched daily, but did not any real workouts in other than the move itself which definitely was a workout.

Sleep:  leechblocked Reddit and FB at work (10 min every 4 hours allowed) and most of the time at home.  Used sleep calculator with mixed success.  Still didn't sleep enough. 

Snuggled cats:  I'm not sure I am capable of snuggling them enough by their standards :-)  They're ok, but still anxious and now apparently scrapping some over the new space.  I wish they got along better.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Congratulations on getting the move done! Honestly, for me from out here, the most exciting part is knowing you won't have to worry about those stairs anymore. I know, I know, you can do ukemi and roll it off, but still.

Sounds like it was a good, light challenge. Something that you might have needed. Good for you. :)